PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please explain this...

Cannibal
03-18-2005, 11:09 PM
What the **** is up with the emails with no subject and no sender and no fu()ing information whatsoever?

Explain the concept of the phantom email please, if possible.

I get these goddamn things about 3 or 4 times a month and they always perplex me to no end.

morphius
03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Spam's way of trying to get passed all the rules you have set up...

Cannibal
03-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Spam's way of trying to get passed all the rules you have set up...

I kinda figured that. But just didn't know the "not so" technical aspects behind it. To be blunt, how fuk do they do it and why do they do it?

Cannibal
03-18-2005, 11:55 PM
BTW, I am amazed. I was just noticing that we both joined in Aug. 2000, but you have 16,000+ posts, and I have 3000+. That just happened to catch my eye.

Boise_Chief
03-19-2005, 12:10 AM
BTW, I am amazed. I was just noticing that we both joined in Aug. 2000, but you have 16,000+ posts, and I have 3000+. That just happened to catch my eye.

Ya think that's interesting Check out my post Count.

I am the lurkiest!

Cannibal
03-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Ya think that's interesting Check out my post Count.

I am the lurkiest!

If there was a contest for the longest tenured vs. post count, I think you'd probably be in the top 3 at least. (But really I have no fuggin idea)

Now somebody give me a legit answer for the topic of this thread.

ROFL

Just kidding.

I lurk a lot also. Just because I have no time to make this my life's work.

morphius
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
LOL! I appearntly have a bit more free time being stuck home a lot with the 3 year old son, well, and I'm probably much more of a geek.

I think I answered the why they do it, plus they get people wondering what it is so that you click on it. And lots of those well have something in the HTML code that well tell them that your email address is a live one so that they can send you even more crap.

As far as the technical aspect, I'm not really sure, haven't wanted to know enough to actually look it up.

Boise_Chief
03-19-2005, 12:21 AM
No Idea. I delete anything I don't know what is or want to take a chance on. No name no subject = no chance.

Well there I go screwing up my posts per day.

Cannibal
03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
LOL! I appearntly have a bit more free time being stuck home a lot with the 3 year old son, well, and I'm probably much more of a geek.

I think I answered the why they do it, plus they get people wondering what it is so that you click on it. And lots of those well have something in the HTML code that well tell them that your email address is a live one so that they can send you even more crap.

As far as the technical aspect, I'm not really sure, haven't wanted to know enough to actually look it up.

These Internet Terrorists need to die in pain!

I doubt the geek thing. I am looking forward to Episode III. ROFL

Cannibal
03-19-2005, 12:31 AM
No Idea. I delete anything I don't know what is or want to take a chance on. No name no subject = no chance.

Well there I go screwing up my posts per day.

I do the same thing. Athough, I still wonder who fug sent it, and when they will be doing hard time in maximum security.

morphius
03-19-2005, 12:36 AM
These Internet Terrorists need to die in pain!

I doubt the geek thing. I am looking forward to Episode III. ROFL
Embarrasingly so am I, even with my low expectations.

Oh, and slow painful death...

Rausch
03-19-2005, 12:37 AM
What's worse, the same medicament worths much bigger if it is brand named. Hence why should you give much particularly while you could have the equal medical facilities at a much cheaper price?
Widely selection of our wares may assist you to negotiate whatsoever of your own illness. In Pharmoze, we give you the similar medical facilities, the generic adaptation - the similar calibre the equal recipe - under a very logical price.

verify this(link)

The person in charge of this operation needs to shoot the stupid b@st@rd who who's responsible for this email...

Cannibal
03-19-2005, 01:03 AM
The person in charge of this operation needs to shoot the stupid b@st@rd who who's responsible for this email...

God damn you're right. Somebody needs to die for that affront to the English language and secondarily, internet etiquette.

Rausch
03-19-2005, 02:49 AM
God damn you're right. Somebody needs to die for that affront to the English language and secondarily, internet etiquette.

They made me do it...

Marada
03-19-2005, 06:19 AM
I kinda figured that. But just didn't know the "not so" technical aspects behind it. To be blunt, how fuk do they do it and why do they do it?

Believe it or not most of the emails like that are coming from home computers just like ours. I was reading the other day where on the average, when your on line, your computers ports are scaned every 4 minutes by people looking to hijack your computer. Once they find one they use it to send out their spam. All the funny characters and such are attempts to bypass filters on mail servers. By using a vulnerable computer they are isolated from being traced as the source of the email. As to why they do it, it's strictly a numbers game. Say you sent out a million emails advertizing a product that will net you $1.00 if a person buys it. The industry average is 1 percent response. So those million emails will generate $10,000.00 for you. Best way to combat stuff like that is to install a software firewall and good antivirus program that scans for probes. I use Zonealarm and Avast. Both are free and work great. To test your computer you can go to a site like www.grc.com and click on the "shields up link". It will test your computer for vulnerablities.

Cannibal
03-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Believe it or not most of the emails like that are coming from home computers just like ours. I was reading the other day where on the average, when your on line, your computers ports are scaned every 4 minutes by people looking to hijack your computer. Once they find one they use it to send out their spam. All the funny characters and such are attempts to bypass filters on mail servers. By using a vulnerable computer they are isolated from being traced as the source of the email. As to why they do it, it's strictly a numbers game. Say you sent out a million emails advertizing a product that will net you $1.00 if a person buys it. The industry average is 1 percent response. So those million emails will generate $10,000.00 for you. Best way to combat stuff like that is to install a software firewall and good antivirus program that scans for probes. I use Zonealarm and Avast. Both are free and work great. To test your computer you can go to a site like www.grc.com and click on the "shields up link". It will test your computer for vulnerablities.

Thanks a lot for the info!

:thumb:

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 04:52 PM
It's probably a dead person trying to contact you from beyond the grave. Pull up the e-mail and then hold your laptop underwater, and see if you see a message.