PDA

View Full Version : From CBS Sportsline - Departing Coaches?

redshirt32
12-11-2000, 10:04 PM
Kansas City: Second-year coach Gunther Cunningham used a lot of young players this season, but it might be his successor who benefits the most. Team president Carl Peterson insisted only two weeks ago that Cunningham will return next year, but certainly qualified those remarks by reserving the right to review the situation. Cunningham might be the league's tightest-wound coach and the message might be falling on deaf ears in the locker room. The bet here is that the Chiefs make a change.

Duck Dog
12-11-2000, 11:20 PM
I hope so. I can't imagine another season with Gun and the stooges. I just can't do it. It hurts my eyes.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 07:45 AM
Please Santa, please.

elvislivesinkc
12-12-2000, 07:58 AM
Oh God, please don't tease us like this!

------------------
Gary

Dave Lane
12-12-2000, 08:00 AM
The only time I want to see the 3 stooges next year is old TV reruns.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Lurker Brett
12-12-2000, 08:04 AM
This is just a wild guess, but I think Guns gets another year, he keeps Raye, sends Shott packing, puts his buddy Shaw in as DC, and cans Stock. No reason for this guess, just a hunch.

Fat Homer
12-12-2000, 08:49 AM
kcred, I wouldn't call it a guess, I'd call it a prediction and I'll bet it comes true...If Gun stays, Raye stays....our offense, unimaginative as it is, did pretty well...with a running game, Raye looks like a genius...

Durt and Stuck are gone...Shaw will be DC and anyone as ST coach is better then Stock...

So mark your post, save it...then next year when we go to camp with Gun, Raye, Shaw and whoever, you can paste it and gloat...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Bwana
12-12-2000, 08:53 AM
Amen. Hallelujah. Holy ****.

Ugly Duck
12-12-2000, 08:57 AM
I think KC should fire Gunther.

Mainly b/c I think Denver should fire DC Greg Robinson, and I would like to see Gunther join the dark side in Mile High as the new DC.

Shanahan tried to lure Gunther away several years ago, maybe this will bring Gunther to Denver. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

elvislivesinkc
12-12-2000, 09:35 AM
Hey MHH,

We'll trade you Gunther for Kubiak! (sp?)

:D

------------------
Gary

Ugly Duck
12-12-2000, 09:39 AM
No thanks.....

Stuckinbama
12-12-2000, 10:51 AM
For me it's Bill Cohwer or nobody! Gun stays on and serves as Defensive Coordinator and Raye and Stock are sent packing. Willie Shaw is demoted to Special Teams Coach where he can run his "soft zones" to prevent long returns! *grin*
I don't want to see Gun in Donkey Land - Alex Gibbs has haunted us long enough.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 10:55 AM
If Gun loses the HC job no way will he stay in KC.

I don't know what you guys see in Cowher, to me he is just another Marty. I would rather see Norv Turner then Cowher.

Dr. Red
12-12-2000, 10:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR> just another Marty <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Considering how $hitty this team was before he got here, how good they were while he was here, and how quickly they have picked up the stench of a $hitty team after he left, I'm not sure 'just' is the proper word there.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 11:25 AM
JC, seems to me the current team is still better then the '98 Chiefs that Marty coached into embarresment.

Bwana
12-12-2000, 11:33 AM
mlyonsd

Current team better than '98 team? Statistically, they need 2 more wins to be better and one win to be the equivalent to '98 ;)

I think the 98 team was loaded full of malcontents, but the coaching was the only thing that kept that team from completely imploding. I also believe that if Marty had opened up the offense like we currently have in this regime's pass game, he would have had better playoff results. His worst decision as coach was being too conservative.

Dr. Red
12-12-2000, 11:33 AM
One bad year in 10, beats 2 bad years in 2. And I disagree. At least we were still beating the Raiders. And there was a sense that, given an offseason to regroup, a new day would dawn. Offseasons for todays Chiefs are for arrests, deaths, schizophrenic predictions, and the crappiest pre-seasons ever.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 12:02 PM
I stand by my statements...Marty lost more control of the team then Gun has, IMO.

Also, I am not saying Marty was a bad coach, I know he is responsible for turning around the 70's-80's losing ways.

But I do say he could not win the big ones, could not adapt to the changing game, could not control his players at the end. In the long run he was a good coach that couldn't get it done. I think Cowher is the same.

Dr. Red
12-12-2000, 12:04 PM
Yet you offer up Norv Turner. Sure he's a 'nice guy' but so am I. Whatever the situation with Snyder, he was presented with more talent in the past 2-3 years in Washington that the Chiefs have in the past 30, cumulative. What did he do with that?

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 12:14 PM
JC, I am sure you are a nice guy.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was only offering up Turner as an alternative for Cowher while considering which current HC's will be out of a job.

IMHO I would rather try somebody completely new from the college ranks then have either of those two.

Somebody like Stoops.

Dr. Red
12-12-2000, 12:23 PM
The problem is, it takes a while to make a college-pro transition as a coach. You go from the father/mentor/god figure to the old guy [who never PLAYED as good as present players, even in your youth] with one of the smallest salaries on the team.

chief18
12-12-2000, 12:24 PM
Gun has the backing of Carl Peterson and Lamar Hunt.

Whether anyone on this board likes it or not - he'll be back.

Count on it.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 12:25 PM
That's true. In that case if I was Lamar I'd offer Tuna 252 million dollars to come coach the Chiefs.

I'd take Tuna over just about anybody...living that is.

bishop_74
12-12-2000, 12:26 PM
Idaho, you're the Grinch.

chief18
12-12-2000, 02:53 PM
I like Tuna, too.

But we're getting served German potato salad.

And being from Idaho, I risk life and limb complaining about potatoes.

Fat Homer
12-12-2000, 02:56 PM
A quote from Sporting News.

"Ground control would take flight in Kansas City. The team's personnel dictated that Gunther Cunningham make some adjustments, but it has gotten out of control. Let me guess, Mouse Davis will be brought in next season to implement the run-and-shoot. By having his team throw more to be less predictable, Cunningham may have tossed away his chance at remaining as the Chiefs' coach." <BR>

redshirt32
12-12-2000, 03:16 PM
Outside of personal issues, I believe Carl was the biggest reason Marty left...

But right now, outside of Norv Turner, I can't think of a candidate to replace Gun... But he will be replaced...<BR>

Fat Homer
12-12-2000, 04:27 PM
Norv Turner is suppose to be this great offensive minded coach...why not have Gun as HC/DC and Turner as HC/OC...yeah, that's the ticket...two head coaches who are also coordinators...

Dr. Red
12-12-2000, 04:29 PM
I don't think Norv could pull off the coordinated yellow glasses.

Moon§hiner
12-12-2000, 04:41 PM
Cowher's revolving door of assistant coaches should tell you something.

Moon§hiner
12-12-2000, 04:42 PM
Meanwhile, Art Shell is just sitting there, waiting for a chance.

Fat Homer
12-12-2000, 04:50 PM
Art Schell, why not...I think the players would like him...he did well as our line coach...so he's familiar with the Chiefs organization...and besides...I can think of nothing better than having a formaer Raiders coach beating them twice a year...Al Davis would be apoplectic..... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Moon§hiner
12-12-2000, 04:52 PM
I like your thinking, 58. There's nothing better than poking Al Davis in the eye twice a year, with one of his own hall of famers to boot.

Tsunami
12-12-2000, 04:52 PM
I'm with Brock on the Shell issue. What's with folks talking about giving Norv a second shot when he screwed up his first one while Shell hasn't been give another HCing job after being successful the first time? Belichick and Coslet were also given second shots. Is the NFL actively trying to look like bigots?

Fat Homer
12-12-2000, 04:56 PM
IMO, Gun will be here next year. But if he's not...I predict that Art Shell will be our HC...one thing is for sure...with Shell as our coach...I bet our OL will be highly motivated.... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tsunami
12-12-2000, 05:00 PM
Gun probably gets another year, maybe rightfully so. Parcells and Walsh struggled for a couple years before breaking through in 3 and 4, culminating in SB victories in the fourth year. Hard to picture Gun doing that isn't it? Not that I'm not rooting for him.

nmt1
12-12-2000, 05:18 PM
"I also believe that if Marty had opened up the offense like we currently have in this regime's pass game, he would have had better playoff results."

BUT, he didn't!!! Gunther has been the only coach in years with the sack to instigate change. Gunther was responsible for the new passing attack.

------------------
GO PITT!

The_Grand_Illusion
12-12-2000, 05:35 PM
Pitt- Actually Marty made the change to more of the wide open passing attack.The problem was he never had the QB to engineer it, and when he did King Carl forced him to play Grbac instead of Gannon.

Yosemity Sam
12-12-2000, 08:07 PM
Marty did attempt to open up the offense in the 95 Colts Playoff debacle. I remember a lot of pass attempts on 1st down. I also remember Steve Bonehead having a problem distinguishing our receivers from the Colts DB's. At the same time I remember Marcus Allen picking up good yardage every time he touched the ball. I agree that when the Chiefs return to the playoffs the should be aggressive, but Marty did try this (with the wrong players) and failed.

DoktorSmith
12-13-2000, 10:46 AM
From Sportsline's mouth to God's ears…

xoxo~
gaz
daring to hope just a little.<BR>