PDA

View Full Version : Do you fear death?

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
It's a big train coming right at us all. What do you think?

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Not in the least bit.

eazyb81
03-19-2005, 10:59 PM
not at all, it happens to everybody whether you want it to or not. what is there to fear?

Bowser
03-19-2005, 11:00 PM
If it's good for Ted Williams...............

Delano
03-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Is this a game show?

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:02 PM
not at all, it happens to everybody whether you want it to or not. what is there to fear?

Fear itself...then again, I think fear is too overrated and no one should fear it.

KCWolfman
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
I fear the pain and would avoid it at a great cost, but I don't fear death in the least.

I remember as a pre-teen I worried about it incessantly. I just couldn't understand the justice at all. Now, I look on my life and realize that I am past the halfway point, I have raised a succesful family, and I am blessed to have lived past 20.

The next step doesn't bother me at all.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
I fear pain.

Phobia
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Not in the least bit.

As evidenced by your driving abilities.

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I fear it. I think it'll hurt.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:06 PM
As evidenced by your driving abilities.

"Death Wish Diablo"

Bowser
03-19-2005, 11:06 PM

Planning on a slow drawn out death, are we?

Delano
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM
I fear the pain and would avoid it at a great cost, but I don't fear death in the least.

I remember as a pre-teen I worried about it incessantly. I just couldn't understand the justice at all. Now, I look on my life and realize that I am past the halfway point, I have raised a succesful family, and I am blessed to have lived past 20.

The next step doesn't bother me at all.

Yep. I remember waking up and freaking out about death and what happened after that. Those kinds of thoughts led to many a sleepless night during high school.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:07 PM

Only for a second. When Godzilla's foot comes up you wont feel a thing.

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Planning on a slow drawn out death, are we?

I'm already working on my final words. You really want your final words to be good.

milkman
03-19-2005, 11:09 PM

I hear suicide is painless.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:12 PM
I'm already working on my final words. You really want your final words to be good.

I guess we'll know when you post a poll about how to off yourself. Hopefully everyone choose the Gaz option, although I'd hate to send him to jail for manslaughter.

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 11:13 PM

Yeah, but it brings on many changes.

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I guess we'll know when you post a poll about how to off yourself. Hopefully everyone choose the Gaz option, although I'd hate to send him to jail for manslaughter.

When I go, I'm taking several chiefsplanet members down with me.

Phobia
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
When you die, you lose a very important piece of yourself.

Bowser

Wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker............

Stinger
Fear the act of it no. Fear of leaving to early and not enjoying my life with my wife and kids, and hopefully grandkids, YES.

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:16 PM

Yeah, your last words have to be good...

"Give me liberty or give me death!"

"Oh yeah? I think you don't have the guts!"

"HEY YOU! Why are you sneaking around in that bank after hours?!"

"Spread my ashes over Arrowhead!"

"Piss in John Elway's next glass of orange juice for me!"

"Did I just crap myself?"

Bowser
03-19-2005, 11:17 PM

Just as long as they're not "HEY GUYS! WATCH THIS!!!!"

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
What is it about fear? Do we fear things because of what is unknown about them, or is it because there may be pain to follow?

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Just as long as they're not "HEY GUYS! WATCH THIS!!!!"

I think those are ENDelt's final words.

Hammock Parties
03-19-2005, 11:27 PM
What is it about fear? Do we fear things because of what is unknown about them, or is it because there may be pain to follow?

Both, hence my fear of alien abduction.

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:33 PM
Both, hence my fear of alien abduction.

Fear seems to be the one thing I can't tap into. I've been able to write things that give a sense of happiness, melancholy, and rage...but fear? No, not yet...fear seems to be the only one that I can't get.

Michael Michigan
03-19-2005, 11:33 PM

I think it was Joe Friday that said...

When I snap I'll kill your first.

4th and Long
03-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah, but it brings on many changes.
Can I take or leave it if I please?

milkman
03-19-2005, 11:36 PM

I'm pretty sure my last words will be "Dammit Carl!".

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:41 PM

What's the point in taking others with you? Isn't it better to make them suffer mentally? Whenever someone says that they think I'm gonna snap and kill 'em, I don't agree...I just say that they aren't even worth the six pounds of pressure on the trigger.

4th and Long
03-19-2005, 11:44 PM
I just say that they aren't even worth the six pounds of pressure on the trigger.
Ya know, if you file down the firing pin, you can reduce that amount of pressure. ;)

Rain Man
03-19-2005, 11:50 PM
What's the point in taking others with you? Isn't it better to make them suffer mentally? Whenever someone says that they think I'm gonna snap and kill 'em, I don't agree...I just say that they aren't even worth the six pounds of pressure on the trigger.

I just want to be remembered.

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Ya know, if you file down the firing pin, you can reduce that amount of pressure. ;)

ROFL

Yeah, but why put that much effort into wiping out anyone when you can make someone feel worse than maggot vomit with just one sentence?

Slayer Diablo
03-19-2005, 11:55 PM
I just want to be remembered.

Alright, that makes sense. Have fun. :)

chief52
03-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Actually, I think I fear the death of loved ones much more than the death of myself...especially the young ones. But fear is too big of a word for it, actually.

Slayer Diablo
03-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Actually, I think I fear the death of loved ones much more than the death of myself...especially the young ones. But fear is too big of a word for it, actually.

Concerned? Paranoid? On the right track?

chief52
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Concerned? Paranoid? On the right track?

Just those "thoughts" that sometimes enter your head whether you like it or not. Just passing. Concerned maybe, paranoid by no means.

Live it to the fullest! :thumb:

Slayer Diablo
03-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Just those "thoughts" that sometimes enter your head whether you like it or not. Just passing. Concerned maybe, paranoid by no means.

Live it to the fullest! :thumb:

Of course, for why would we live if there were no concern? If there were no concern for what would happen in one area, then there would be no reason to stay...you could just pack up and move about as you please. We're meant to live it to the fullest.

Mr. Kotter
03-20-2005, 12:21 AM
My reaction before I read the thread: (despite my smartass vote), is "Yes" because I've got four kids ages 2-9 yrs old....I would feel as though I'd have cheated them if I'm not around to see their ball games, to help them through their first episode of 'puppy love,' and if I miss their graduations and weddings. Honestly. I'd be very disappointed.

OTOH, the decision is much less in my own hands, than that of the Big Guy upstairs. I don't believe in 100% destiny, but I do believe when the Big Guy is ready for you....he's gonna take you.

Mr. Kotter
03-20-2005, 12:23 AM

I'd be honored, if it takes out some Islamic Jihad Revolutionaries in the process.... :hmmm:

chief52
03-20-2005, 12:24 AM
Of course, for why would we live if there were no concern? If there were no concern for what would happen in one area, then there would be no reason to stay...you could just pack up and move about as you please. We're meant to live it to the fullest.

Very true. Why would we live it to the fullest if we never thought it would end or change?

Give it your best shot and let the chips fall where they may!

ChiefsOne
03-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Wine is fine, but whiskey's quicker............

Suicide Solution

luv
03-20-2005, 02:08 AM

Then you'd better make them all good, cuz you never know which ones will be your last. . .

Deep thoughts by luv2rite ROFL

luv
03-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Oh, and no, I don't fear death. Funny, I fear change, but not death.

ChiefsOne
03-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Death is my biggest fear.

Digital Takawira
03-20-2005, 02:27 AM
every hour wounds, the last one kills.

keg in kc
03-20-2005, 02:48 AM
I fear the pain that might accompany it, but death itself? Absolutely not.

trndobrd
03-20-2005, 04:39 AM
I don't fear death so much as the eternity of firery, demonic torment deep in the sulfur ash bowels of Hell that will immediately follow my death.

Nightfyre
03-20-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't fear death so much as the eternity of firery, demonic torment deep in the sulfur ash bowels of Hell that will immediately follow my death.
yeah? which circle are you headed to? maybe i'll see you there.

C-Mac
03-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Sorry to get all philosophicitcal, but.........
Fear is also a form of respect and as tough as some may sound, no one hear alive and sane(can of worms) can say they have completely no fear. Those that claim so, are usually the first that are willing to compromise their own convictions to continue to live.
Even though death is a reality, it is not natural to humans or simply understood, we would accept death easier. Even if a person is suffering a painful death and feel it best for them to die, its still doesnt come natural accepting it.
As humans, we have all the instinctual burning will to live and will exhaust all energies to fight death, why, because we fear it.......
regardless of what one thinks they believe happens after death.

Some people have the fear of heights, not me .....I have a fear of widths.
-Steve Wright

C-Mac
03-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Well, then you will be comforted to know that there is no such place.

Braincase
03-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Do you want to live forever?

milkman
03-20-2005, 08:01 AM
Oh, and no, I don't fear death. Funny, I fear change, but not death.

I don't fear change, but it gets to be a dollar or more, it weighs my pocket down, and rubs against my leg, which I find really irritating. :)

FloridaChief
03-20-2005, 08:10 AM
After reading through this thread, I can honestly say I no longer fear death...

RNR
03-20-2005, 08:24 AM
Not really, although living is pretty cool, and I am not sure how death will stack up. I have learned not to fear things I can not control. If there is a heaven I am shooting for a D minus, the old "how bad can I fu** up and still get in.

CrazyHorse
03-20-2005, 08:38 AM
At the time of this post there are 24 that say no 8 that say yes(including me). There are 3 that say Freeze my head, and 3 that say they are not self aware enough.

I am profoundly sorry for the 24 that have no quality of life to fear losing it.

You guys are so busy being full of shit thinking about how tough you are percieved, that you supremely insult everyone and everything that means anything to you in your life.

Some of us have been around long enough to have seen you tough guys whine and piss and moan over a sport to the degree that you throw a temper tantrum over football decisions that you know nothing about.

Surely you "badass mothertruckers" would have killed yourself, as death would at that time likely be the preferred choice as there is nothing worth hanging around for, except torment and unhappyness and the Hell in having to put up it.

I say kill yourselves and save on the BB resources, so some of the rest of us can get on once in awhile. ;)

Oh yeah.... and I call BS on those 24

milkman
03-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Not really, although living is pretty cool, and I am not sure how death will stack up. I have learned not to fear things I can not control. If there is a heaven I am shooting for a D minus, the old "how bad can I fu** up and still get in.

I always thought "R aider Nation" was synonymous with "Gateway to Hell". :)

tiptap
03-20-2005, 08:44 AM
"We die once and for such a long time" Moliere

Just regret not getting to see more of the universe.

RNR
03-20-2005, 08:44 AM
I always thought "R aider Nation" was synonymous with "Gateway to Hell". :)
I am counting on Davis to win his lawsuit with God, and get us all in :) Old Al has the edge as everyone knows there are no lawyers in heaven, or atleast any good ones.

MOhillbilly
03-20-2005, 08:46 AM
only when its time to die.

Frankie
03-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Do you fear death?
Mine or yours? :p
;)

seclark
03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
not mine... but if my wife goes before me, i'm f@cked.
sec

Frankie
03-20-2005, 09:22 AM
not mine... but if my wife goes before me, i'm f@cked.
sec

Gee, it must be true that sex is the first victim of marriage. :hmmm:

trndobrd
03-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, then you will be comforted to know that there is no such place.

What makes you so sure of that? Have you died before? If there's no hell where do you think Bon Scott went to?

Bowser
03-20-2005, 10:14 AM
What makes you so sure of that? Have you died before? If there's no hell where do you think Bon Scott went to?

He went to a place where Air Supply is played on a continuous loop.

Oh, waitaminnit..........

CosmicPal
03-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Normally, I would say that I don't fear death for it is inevitable. But, with a screaming train bearing down on me, I can assure you I'd do everything in my power to get out of the way- even if it meant clawing my way out of the car. Therefore, do I fear death or is it the train bearing down me I fear?

I wouldn't so much fear death if my doctor told me I had six months to live. I can assure you, I'd spend the next six months trying to fulfill the things I've always wanted to do, and see the places I've always wanted to see, and try to leave knowing my family and friends understood how much I love them and appreciate them.

But, with a train bearing down on me- I wouldn't have that luxury of saying goodbye, as well as completing unfulfilled tasks.

So, Yes, I'd be scared sh*tless watching a speeding train approach me. I wouldn't be thinking about death- I'd be wondering how it's gonna feel to be pulverized by a train. But, then again- I have no idea how I'd feel. I've been in a few situations where I felt death was imminent, but I felt a serene calm and maturity about the situation- as though I had accepted my fate, but still managed to come out alive. So, I guess what I'm saying is- I don't fear death- just fear how I'm going to die.

Phobia
03-20-2005, 11:20 AM
I wonder if the credit reporting agencies put a terminal diagnosis on your credit report to prevent some jackass with 6 months from traveling the world on his credit cards.

Phobia
03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Fear seems to be the one thing I can't tap into. I've been able to write things that give a sense of happiness, melancholy, and rage...but fear? No, not yet...fear seems to be the only one that I can't get.

Post another picture.

chief52
03-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I wonder if the credit reporting agencies put a terminal diagnosis on your credit report to prevent some jackass with 6 months from traveling the world on his credit cards.

I worked with a guy that knew he was dying. He maxed out his cards taking gambling trips to Reno. A buddy went and visited his wife a couple of months later and she was PISSED!!! She had no clue. I thought is was great. It was his money anyway, so what if the estate was worth X thousand less.

We know he took great pleasure in pulling that off. :thumb:

RedandGold
03-20-2005, 11:45 AM
At the time of this post there are 24 that say no 8 that say yes(including me). There are 3 that say Freeze my head, and 3 that say they are not self aware enough.

I am profoundly sorry for the 24 that have no quality of life to fear losing it.

You guys are so busy being full of shit thinking about how tough you are percieved, that you supremely insult everyone and everything that means anything to you in your life.

Some of us have been around long enough to have seen you tough guys whine and piss and moan over a sport to the degree that you throw a temper tantrum over football decisions that you know nothing about.

Surely you "badass mothertruckers" would have killed yourself, as death would at that time likely be the preferred choice as there is nothing worth hanging around for, except torment and unhappyness and the Hell in having to put up it.

I say kill yourselves and save on the BB resources, so some of the rest of us can get on once in awhile. ;)

Oh yeah.... and I call BS on those 24

I can honestly say that I do not fear death. It is the one certain thing in life, and if you hold yourself accountable to live your life to a high standard, there should be nothing in the afterlife that you should fear (assuming that your faith includes a believe in an afterlife).

I might have a fear of the actual way that I die (e.g. brutal car wreck, drowning, etc.), but I do not fear the actual element of death that we all must face at some point.

Personally, I plan on living a healthy life to a ripe old age, and not regretting a single bit of it when the time comes to pass on. This doesn't make me a "badass mothertrucker", but simply a person that has adopted a positive outlook on the inevitable.

Frankie
03-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Post another picture.
ROFL

CrazyHorse
03-20-2005, 12:32 PM
I can honestly say that I do not fear death. It is the one certain thing in life, and if you hold yourself accountable to live your life to a high standard, there should be nothing in the afterlife that you should fear (assuming that your faith includes a believe in an afterlife).

I might have a fear of the actual way that I die (e.g. brutal car wreck, drowning, etc.), but I do not fear the actual element of death that we all must face at some point.

Personally, I plan on living a healthy life to a ripe old age, and not regretting a single bit of it when the time comes to pass on. This doesn't make me a "badass mothertrucker", but simply a person that has adopted a positive outlook on the inevitable.

My point wasn't that one should sit around in a hole so that death never finds them. My point was simply that I would have something to lose in death. It would also have an effect on others. For example if you have children. Surely you would not put them in harms way. For fear they may die. What if your wife/girlfriend died? What positive appraoch would you take in death there? If your parents die, kids die, friends die.

If you do not fear death, than you do not fear loss. If you dont fear loss, you are a poor man.

J Diddy
03-20-2005, 12:45 PM
If you do not fear death, than you do not fear loss. If you dont fear loss, you are a poor man.

I disagree.

CrazyHorse
03-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I disagree.

I am having a hard time understanding your point here.

Mastashake
03-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I embrace the day it happens...

I'm not suicidal or anything, but it's a day which should be as amazing as birth...I hope I die in the biggest explosion ever, or maybe dismemberment by chainsaw or eaten by a shark, something real disturbing and ultra-violent so people will go "OH MY GOD HOW HORRIBLE! He will be missed."

It's hard to fear something so natural IMO... As far as the Heaven Hell thing I'm thinking sin is inevitable so as long as you tried to keep it to a minimum and am sorry for the sin you caused you're good as gravy!

And Bon Scott is in Heaven, along with Sam Kinison and all those other people. I bet they caused more people to reaffirm their faith in God than anyone.

Mastashake

luv
03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
And Bon Scott is in Heaven, along with Sam Kinison and all those other people. I bet they caused more people to reaffirm their faith in God than anyone.

It doesn't matter if they caused others to. It matters if they did themselves.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery.

Mastashake
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
It doesn't matter if they caused others to. It matters if they did themselves.

Just a comment from the peanut gallery.

Another comment...

Judgement is not ours. I've never asked God how he handled the situation so really it's not my place to say.

And who's to say Bon Scott wasn't in on some deal with God from Heaven to stir some stuff up, get people to believing again? I don't know, like I said, I wasn't there when it went down.

Mastashake

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 01:43 PM
My point wasn't that one should sit around in a hole so that death never finds them.

What - so you're saying the hole thing might work? What do you know about it? How deep? Dirt or rock? Can I dig a whole house, or does it have to just be a hole? Huh? Huh?

(I'm not afraid to say that I fear death.)

Tribal Warfare
03-20-2005, 04:01 PM
I find most of the results untruthfull from the poll.

I can seriously say I'm not afraid of death because how can one live if fear is present. I learned this by experience in Martial Arts training and streetfighting situations.

badgirl
03-20-2005, 04:11 PM
yes I do.

penchief
03-20-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm not looking forward to it. I enjoy living quite a bit.

keg in kc
03-20-2005, 04:22 PM
My point wasn't that one should sit around in a hole so that death never finds them. My point was simply that I would have something to lose in death. It would also have an effect on others. For example if you have children. Surely you would not put them in harms way. For fear they may die. What if your wife/girlfriend died? What positive appraoch would you take in death there? If your parents die, kids die, friends die.

If you do not fear death, than you do not fear loss. If you dont fear loss, you are a poor man.I hadn't looked at it that way, but it fits in my case. I have nothing at all to lose, and I leave no one behind. Although I'm not sure I'd 'fear' death any more if I did. I'd be more intent on leaving some kind of legacy or trust behind if I had a family, but death itself is a natural event that's going to come; it's inevitable. I think it's pointless to fear it.

milkman
03-20-2005, 05:22 PM

This sounds more like the fear of death's impact on the lives of those left behind, more than fear of death itself.

C-Mac
03-20-2005, 05:44 PM

Well I just used a little historical, gramatical, and scientific fact coupled with sound reasoning to be sure of it.
-Historically, the origin of the word and its concept does not originate from the original Hebrew and Greek writings of the Bible.
-God told Adam that death would be a punishment for wrong doing and would return to dust from which he came. We still do.
-If you had a pet that turned ferrel and attacked you, as punishment you would not go outside with a butane torch and burn a spot on it every day, you would simply put it to death.
-How can burning in torture for zillions upon zillions of years be fair and just punishent for just 70 years of screw ups?

I'm more than sure that there is no place of fiery torment for sinners.
:thumb:

Iowanian
03-20-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't fear my own death, but the discomfort for my family would bother me.

I spent part of saturday with my friend, and his 2 year old son, who I was told then is terminal and not expected to survive the week. A 2 year old boy. I doubt he'll see Easter.

Death is part of life............But sometimes, its just one painful, unfair Mother ****er.

F@ck you Cancer.

RNR
03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
I find most of the results untruthfull from the poll.

I can seriously say I'm not afraid of death because how can one live if fear is present. I learned this by experience in Martial Arts training and streetfighting situations.
Really, what do you find untruthfull? I have traded leather in the ring and fought on the street, I wonder what training you have had that gives you this enlightment?

Otter
03-20-2005, 09:38 PM
My reaction before I read the thread: (despite my smartass vote), is "Yes" because I've got four kids ages 2-9 yrs old....I would feel as though I'd have cheated them if I'm not around to see their ball games, to help them through their first episode of 'puppy love,' and if I miss their graduations and weddings. Honestly. I'd be very disappointed.

OTOH, the decision is much less in my own hands, than that of the Big Guy upstairs. I don't believe in 100% destiny, but I do believe when the Big Guy is ready for you....he's gonna take you.

Wow, you've always struck me as some really lonely single guy who comes here as his only means of attention.

What happened to that polished demenor and wisdom that is supposed to come with kids?

Oh yeah, hell yes I fear death. I personaly think you're lying if you say you don't.

Pants
03-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I think I do. Being religious would help.

trndobrd
03-20-2005, 10:26 PM
He went to a place where Air Supply is played on a continuous loop.

Oh, waitaminnit..........

Aren't they from Austraila too?

trndobrd
03-20-2005, 10:29 PM

Mastashake

Bon Scott said where he was going. Wrote a song about it.

Keep f$^@ing doubting Bon Scott.

(his friends are gonna be there too)

sparkky
03-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I fear the journey more than the destination.