PDA

View Full Version : John DeLorean is dead...

Mastashake
03-20-2005, 01:21 PM
For all of you who didn't know, he was the guy who came up with the idea for the first muscle car, a GTO (way before Mustang had big blocks).

Everyone thinks of him for the DeLorean, though, which is a cool car in my opinion. Unfortunately it didn't go well and he was busted for dealing coke in order to keep his company afloat (that's dedication). He got off on entrapment charges but he was never looked at the same after that.

He will be missed by the harcore muscle-car heads.

Mastashake

Miles
03-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I had no idea about GTO. Just the FBI bust and this thing:

http://www.shoshin.uwaterloo.ca/~jscouria/CARS/delorean.gif

Baby Lee
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I great looking car, and a great idea to fabricate it out of stainless steel. But it was poor handling and underpowered [volvo 6 cylinder and Renault gearcase]. That, and the workforce, Irish I believe, doomed it.

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 01:46 PM
DeLoreans are just way cool cars. When I was looking for my BMW, I wandered onto a car lot that had a DeLorean, and it took a lot of thinking about my wife's reaction to convince me to not buy it and take it home.

Baby Lee
03-20-2005, 01:48 PM
DeLoreans are just way cool cars. When I was looking for my BMW, I wandered onto a car lot that had a DeLorean, and it took a lot of thinking about my wife's reaction to convince me to not buy it and take it home.
1. which BMW do you have?
2. did you drive the Delorean?

UteChief
03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
I believe he is also responsable for the Camaro.

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 02:12 PM
1. which BMW do you have?
2. did you drive the Delorean?

I've got a Z3, which I bought over the Internet in Kansas.

I had seen another nice Z3 advertised in Salt Lake City a month before I bought mine, and drove out there to check it out. It was at a Ferrari dealership of all places, and they had a DeLorean on the lot. It was in my price range and was in pretty good shape other than some rips in the interior. They sold the Z3 literally as I was pulling into the lot, so I was really, really tempted by the DeLorean. However, the whole new car idea was at my wife's urging, saying that I needed a newer, nicer car, and I didn't think she would take kindly to me coming home in a 20 year-old DeLorean.

Even so, the allure was strong enough that I was sorely tempted. I didn't drive it because it was boxed in by half a dozen other vehicles and I knew the odds were low enough that I didn't want to make the dealer shuffle around half of his lot.

morphius
03-20-2005, 02:15 PM
I believe he is also responsable for the Camaro.
I'm not finding much on that yet. he was the manager when they created the gawd awful looking 1970 camero though, blech!

Baby Lee
03-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I've got a Z3, which I bought over the Internet in Kansas.

I had seen another nice Z3 advertised in Salt Lake City a month before I bought mine, and drove out there to check it out. It was at a Ferrari dealership of all places, and they had a DeLorean on the lot. It was in my price range and was in pretty good shape other than some rips in the interior. They sold the Z3 literally as I was pulling into the lot, so I was really, really tempted by the DeLorean. However, the whole new car idea was at my wife's urging, saying that I needed a newer, nicer car, and I didn't think she would take kindly to me coming home in a 20 year-old DeLorean.

Even so, the allure was strong enough that I was sorely tempted. I didn't drive it because it was boxed in by half a dozen other vehicles and I knew the odds were low enough that I didn't want to make the dealer shuffle around half of his lot.
I was gonna say, if the 540i and X-5 I've driven were any indication, I can't imagine the allure of a Delorean after mashing the pedal down on them beefy V-8s.

Rain Man
03-20-2005, 02:20 PM
I was gonna say, if the 540i and X-5 I've driven were any indication, I can't imagine the allure of a Delorean after mashing the pedal down on them beefy V-8s.

I'm one of those people who values looks over performance. I'll bet there are a lot of us on here.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Baby Lee
03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm not finding much on that yet. he was the manager when they created the gawd awful looking 1970 camero though, blech!
You don't like the split bumpers?

And I think, in keeping with his position as head of Pontiac, Delorean probably oversaw the Firebird, if anything.

Baby Lee
03-20-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm one of those people who values looks over performance. I'll bet there are a lot of us on here.

Anyone?

Anyone?
Drive an M-3 or M-5 and get back to me.

Eleazar
03-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd love to have one of those.

chiefs4me
03-20-2005, 03:07 PM
So when did he die? No link........

Mastashake
03-20-2005, 03:29 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=519&e=1&u=/ap/obit_delorean

Deberg_1990
03-20-2005, 05:12 PM
But it was poor handling and underpowered [volvo 6 cylinder and Renault gearcase].

All it needed was a Flux Capacitor. IMO that was the only thing holding it back....

Simplex3
03-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Anyone?

Anyone?
You must play in the NBA.

Phobia
03-20-2005, 05:17 PM
People are complaining about the performance of a Delorean? The thing could take you to 2025, ferchristsakes. Show me another car that can do that.

Mastashake
03-20-2005, 05:20 PM
You'd think Doc would've picked a Corvette if he was so insistant on getting to 88 that quickly.

Those gull wing doors are awesome. My life will not be complete until I own a car with gullwing doors

|Zach|
03-20-2005, 05:22 PM
People are complaining about the performance of a Delorean? The thing could take you to 2025, ferchristsakes. Show me another car that can do that.
Hey, I have been meaning to ask you. Can I borrow your flux capacitor. Drop me a PM or something.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/wmack/picture/flux%20capacitor.jpg