PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the married folks.

Rain Man
03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Would you take a vacation without your spouse if you wanted to go somewhere and he/she didn't? Would you want them to take a vacation without you if you weren't interested in the destination?

I went to Australia in 1997 without my wife. I wanted to go, and she said that she'd rather use the money to buy some furniture rather than another plane ticket and stuff.

Now I'm on a quest to visit the Amazon, and she's waving me on. She has no interest at all in it, and I think she sincerely doesn't mind me going by myself. She knows that I have an interest in out-of-the-way places, and has no interest at all herself. I'll gladly go, though it always makes me feel a little guilty.

What do y'all do in this situation?

morphius
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
I'd go, sometimes it is also good to be away from each other too. If she wants she can go visit family or something else.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:32 PM
After my first/last marriage, I'd probably get paranoid if my wife wanted me to go to McDonald's alone. I'd start calculating how many men she could find and sleep with in the 15 minutes I was gone. A vacation? I'd implode.

Bwana
03-21-2005, 04:33 PM
I don't see any problem with it at all. I do it at least once a year as will she this August. There is no way in hell I am flying to Barbados to see my mother in law in August. She can send me a post card. :)

redbrian
03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Would you take a vacation without your spouse if you wanted to go somewhere and he/she didn't? Would you want them to take a vacation without you if you weren't interested in the destination?

I went to Australia in 1997 without my wife. I wanted to go, and she said that she'd rather use the money to buy some furniture rather than another plane ticket and stuff.

Now I'm on a quest to visit the Amazon, and she's waving me on. She has no interest at all in it, and I think she sincerely doesn't mind me going by myself. She knows that I have an interest in out-of-the-way places, and has no interest at all herself. I'll gladly go, though it always makes me feel a little guilty.

What do y'all do in this situation?

I've got a friend who goes fishing up in the Boonies of Canada every year while his wife goes to a Tropical resort, they have been doing this for years and it seems to work for them.

Rain Man
03-21-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd go, sometimes it is also good to be away from each other too. If she wants she can go visit family or something else.

That's probably what my wife would do this time around.

And keg, I think I was once engaged to your ex-wife.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-21-2005, 04:35 PM
After my first/last marriage, I'd probably get paranoid if my wife wanted me to go to McDonald's alone. I'd start calculating how many men she could find and sleep with in the 15 minutes I was gone. A vacation? I'd implode.

ROFL .........wait I want to laugh at you for this, but goddammit I can't. Why? Because I am as pathetically insecure. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone

Rain Man
03-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Hmm, it's sounding like I'm not alone in this. I certainly like traveling with my wife, but at the same time I occasionally like to get out there completely alone. Isolation - it does a body good.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:38 PM
My demented mind is reminded of a CSI: Miami episode a few weeks ago, where this "couple" on a cruise ship were actually former college f*ckbuddies who get together annually. The 'wife' needed a week of 'scare the neighbors' sex to help balance out the other 51 weeks of vanilla dullness with her real husband.

Rain Man
03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
That sort of arrangement might make my wife rescind her permission.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:41 PM
ROFL .........wait I want to laugh at you for this, but goddammit I can't. Why? Because I am as pathetically insecure. Thanks for letting me know I'm not aloneInsecure? Uh-uh. My ex-wife cheated on me with at least three guys that I know of, and I'm expecting the reality was at least three or four times that number. This in the course of a single year of marriage, and it started the day after our honeymoon ended. It's not a matter of insecurity; the problem wasn't me. Except that I choose poorly, of course.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:43 PM
That sort of arrangement might make my wife rescind her permission.Yeah, she might not like the idea of you hooking up with some guy for hot unabated mansex every winter. Although you do live in Denver, so maybe you wouldn't even have to travel. :hmmm:

Seriously, though, I don't see a problem with it. Some time apart can be as important as time together, I think.

siberian khatru
03-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Insecure? Uh-uh. My ex-wife cheated on me with at least three guys that I know of, and I'm expecting the reality was at least three or four times that number. This in the course of a single year of marriage, and it started the day after our honeymoon ended. It's not a matter of insecurity; the problem wasn't me. Except that I choose poorly, of course.

So you married her because she put out, then you divorced her because she put out?

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
So you married her because she put out, then you divorced her because she put out?Righto.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Insecure? Uh-uh. My ex-wife cheated on me with at least three guys that I know of, and I'm expecting the reality was at least three or four times that number. This in the course of a single year of marriage, and it started the day after our honeymoon ended. It's not a matter of insecurity; the problem wasn't me. Except that I choose poorly, of course.

very similar circumstances here. I'd like to think though, that I've made the right decision this time around and that I'm simply being insecure with this one.

Mike Grose
03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
The wife can take 6 weeks of vacation per year I get 2.

She and the kids are in Chicago right now and I am in the office.

Now going off to Australia or Brazil or other might be another story.

Phobia
03-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I was raised that vacations include an assumed "family". But, if my wife wanted to go to Massachusetts, I think I'd let her go by herself. It would feel a bit odd, but I can work with it.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:53 PM
I'd like to think though, that I've made the right decision this time around and that I'm simply being insecure with this one.Well, I'm never getting married again. Hell, I'm never dating again. I've had enough.

You're probably right, though, about yours. Just relax and enjoy. Whoever the other one was, she's not the template for all women.

Massachussetts? What's that about, PK?

Phobia
03-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Massachussetts? What's that about, PK?

I've been there. I lived there for about 4 months - prefer to think of it as an extended visit. Once is enough. I'm not fond of the place. No reason to return.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Ahh, okay. I wasn't sure if it was that or if it was someplace she wanted to visit for some unfathomable reason.

RedNFeisty
03-21-2005, 05:02 PM
There is no way in hell Clint would let me go on vacation to Dallas alone to see my Grandmother let alone send me out to just have fun. I am sure that it has something to do with my flirty nature! :)

I would say that if a relationship is secure enough, by all means enjoy!! Couples need to have their time apart and not everyone likes the same things. If one wants to visit the Amazon and the other Anartica, go your separate ways and have a blast.

chiefs4me
03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Sure he can take a vaction by himself........

if he takes all the kids...;)

Donger
03-21-2005, 05:10 PM
My wife visits her parents every year, and takes the little ones.

One of the many benefits of never being allowed in my in-law's home.

chiefs4me
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM

Gosh keg...you really bring me down sometimes...but not all women or men cheat. There are good ones out there somewhere........

at least that's what I have been told.......:)

chiefs4me
03-21-2005, 05:13 PM
My wife visits her parents every year, and takes the little ones.

One of the many benefits of never being allowed in my in-law's home.

I have always wondered about that....how exactly does that work, you knowing that your wifes parent's don't care for you , or think she could of done better. Does it put any strain on the marriage, do the kids wonder why you don't go to grandma's?

Hammock Parties
03-21-2005, 05:14 PM
I was raised that vacations include an assumed "family". But, if my wife wanted to go to Massachusetts, I think I'd let her go by herself. It would feel a bit odd, but I can work with it.

Wow, even with your experiences, eh? I guess you really trust her.

BTW, Nicole Kidman will give you a blowjob if you restore my post count to it's former glory. She told me so. She's looking right at you, see?

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Gosh keg...you really bring me down sometimes...but not all women or men cheat. There are good ones out there somewhere........ Never said there weren't...

And don't let me bring you down. Just remember that everything I say has an undertone of humor to it. I'm always laughing about (or at) someone or something. Often myself. Don't take me seriously.

Donger
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I have always wondered about that....how exactly does that work, you knowing that your wifes parent's don't care for you , or think she could of done better. Does it put any strain on the marriage, do the kids wonder why you don't go to grandma's?

No. Even my one year old has figured out that Grandma's a f*cking b*tch.

Rain Man
03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Never said there weren't...

And don't let me bring you down. Just remember that everything I say has an undertone of humor to it. I'm always laughing about (or at) someone or something. Often myself. Don't take me seriously.

Hey. Stop laughing at me.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey. Stop laughing at me.Not gonna happen. Unless you stop posting, of course.

chiefs4me
03-21-2005, 05:20 PM

priceless......:thumb:

Mr. Flopnuts
03-21-2005, 05:24 PM

ROFL that one can't be beat. P.S Tool rocks!!!! :toast:

HemiEd
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
We have each done it a couple of times in our 33 years of bliss. ROFL

Hammock Parties
03-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Hey. Stop laughing at me.

Don't worry Rain Man. I'm laughing WITH you.

4th and Long
03-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Now I'm on a quest to visit the Amazon, and she's waving me on.
This makes me suspicious. Has she by chance, mentioned the words, malaria, anaconda, piranhas, or life insurance policy to you since you brought this up?

Oh and I had to cast the single guy vote since there was no Gaz option.

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 05:53 PM
I found one flaw in the poll:

As a lazy person, I should point out that vacations are not for lazy people, because lazy people can't afford to take them.

Nzoner
03-21-2005, 08:34 PM
Having owned a business with my mrs for the last 14 years has been trying enough so as of 3 years ago we decided to try the vacationing apart to be able to pursue our hobbies etc.

In the last 3 years I've been to Chiefs training camp for a week,Canton Ohio for Hank & Marcus' enshrinement as well as the Rock-N-Roll HOF and this last year went to Vegas for 5 days.She on the other hand has taken a yearly NASCAR trip,and as far as I'm concerned it's the best thing we've ever done.