PDA

View Full Version : Another way to help the D and positions of need

Chief Roundup
03-21-2005, 06:33 PM
I haven't heard anything about our other BIG need a real Kicker and a real Punter.
Our ST are another way to help the D. I know it is not the way we want but we need to improve over Tynes and Cheeks or Murphy. I still think that is part of the reason we were looking at Bannister who is nothing more than a ST guy. Better coverage is going to lead to better field position for both our offense and defense.
Martin Gramatica is probably about the best kicker on the wire and punters man I don't know.

So what is everyones thoughts on our kicking situation and possible resolutions.

Hey Phobia you have been pimping kickers in the draft for a few years now who is your choice this year?

Bowser
03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I've got a feeling Tynes will be OK. As far as punter, I'm not against using a seventh rounder on one.

Pants
03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I hate Martin. I'd rather Chiefs pay him to stay off of them.

Chief Roundup
03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
I don't see how we are alright with Tynes that guy makes me so very nervous. He missed how many XP last season a how many field goals.

Bowser
03-21-2005, 07:10 PM
I don't see how we are alright with Tynes that guy makes me so very nervous. He missed how many XP last season a how many field goals.

He missed 6 FG's, and 2 XP's. IIRC, he had 2 FG's and 1 XP blocked.

Give the kid another year. He had decent kickoff strength, and nailed a couple of 50+ yarders. I really think he'll be OK.

On the other hand, I have nothing against bringing in another punter. We seem to be snakebit with punter ever since Louie Aguilar left.

Calcountry
03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
I haven't heard anything about our other BIG need a real Kicker and a real Punter.
Our ST are another way to help the D. I know it is not the way we want but we need to improve over Tynes and Cheeks or Murphy. I still think that is part of the reason we were looking at Bannister who is nothing more than a ST guy. Better coverage is going to lead to better field position for both our offense and defense.
Martin Gramatica is probably about the best kicker on the wire and punters man I don't know.
So what is everyones thoughts on our kicking situation and possible resolutions.

Hey Phobia you have been pimping kickers in the draft for a few years now who is your choice this year?Punter is the only thing we need to shore up IMHO. :)

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Tynes we stick with, rookie kickers are almost always a thrill ride, hopefully he'll grow from the experience. I think the shame with him is that we didn't give him his first shot three years ago, but they seemed to think he needed seasoning outside of the NFL. :shrug:

Punter will probably continue to be a merry-go-round.

tk13
03-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Tynes was a rookie... I think he'll get better. He did some horrible things and some great things, just like any rookie. Look at Kaeding last year... I'm sure he'll be a good one, but he made mistakes just like any other rookie, including a huge one in the playoffs.

Bowser
03-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Tynes was a rookie... I think he'll get better. He did some horrible things and some great things, just like any rookie. Look at Kaeding last year... I'm sure he'll be a good one, but he made mistakes just like any other rookie, including a huge one in the playoffs.

Do you think that Marty just ****ing well KNEW Kaeding was going to miss that field goal?

keg in kc
03-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Do you think that Marty just ****ing well KNEW Kaeding was going to miss that field goal?He could have put Jesus H. Christ in to kick and he'd have missed. That was the closest thing to fate I've ever encountered. It almost makes me believe in destiny. I knew they were going to lose that game the whole week leading up to it.

Bob Dole
03-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Bob Dole hasn't wanted to draft a punter since the year Lechler came out...

Coogs
03-21-2005, 08:45 PM
The kicker from Ohio State is supposed to be better than Keading. Nugent (sp) or something like that I think is what his name is. And the Punter from Tennessee, Colquit (sp) is getting pretty high marks too. I wouldn't be opposed at all to taking them both in this draft.

Coogs
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
from nfldraftcountdown.com. Here is one of the bio's...

Mike Nugent

Official Bio College: Ohio St. Height: 5-95/8
Position: Kicker Weight: 182
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.7
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Very experienced having started four seasons for the Buckeyes...Has a strong leg for attempts 50+ yards and beyond...Has the nerves to make big, clutch kicks...Consistent and will go on long streaks without missing...Can also kickoff.
Weaknesses: Doesn't have great size but there have been many kickers with slight frames...Can still fine tune and improve his mechanics and technique.
Notes: Elite kicking prospect with day one potential...Actually a better prospect than Nate Kaeding, who was an early 3rd round pick in 2004...Was amazing as a senior and really improved his draft stock.
- Scott Wright

Coogs
03-21-2005, 08:51 PM
and the other...

Dustin Colquitt

Official Bio College: Tennessee Height: 6-23/8
Position: Punter Weight: 211
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.70
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: A master at pinning opponents inside the twenty...Gets excellent hang time...Very strong leg...Can pooch punt or kick the ball for distance...Good size and solid athletic ability for the position...Prolific college player.
Weaknesses: A little slow and may need to speed up his motion once in the pros...Can be a little more consistent...Has had a couple of punts blocked.
Notes: A weapon in the battle for field position...One of the best punters to come along in a while and a legitimate first day prospect...Father and brother were also punters for the Vols.
- Scott Wright

Bowser
03-21-2005, 08:56 PM
and the other...

Dustin Colquitt

Official Bio College: Tennessee Height: 6-23/8
Position: Punter Weight: 211
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.70
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: A master at pinning opponents inside the twenty...Gets excellent hang time...Very strong leg...Can pooch punt or kick the ball for distance...Good size and solid athletic ability for the position...Prolific college player.
Weaknesses: A little slow and may need to speed up his motion once in the pros...Can be a little more consistent...Has had a couple of punts blocked.
Notes: A weapon in the battle for field position...One of the best punters to come along in a while and a legitimate first day prospect...Father and brother were also punters for the Vols.
- Scott Wright

A first day prospect? Is this Shane Lechler's cousin? I'd say no sooner than the fifth round, but that's just me.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
03-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Hell, I'll take the place kicker in the 4th and the punter in the 5th.

We've certainly done worse . . . :banghead:

whoman69
03-21-2005, 09:08 PM
We certainly have enough 2nd day picks to look at getting a punter.

Dayze
03-21-2005, 09:12 PM
I think one of the things that hurt the Chiefs a bit last year was their special teams; especially given their success in '03. In '03 the ST gave them great FP and if our offense didn't score, a solid punt with good coverage would force teams to go the length of the field for a score.

Last year, it seemed we were lacking on ST and subsequently forced to drive longer on Offense - and in the increasingly more frequent punting situations, gave the opposing teams good FP. Since our D was so soft, driving 50 yard for a score, instead of 80, proved to be even easier for opposing teams.

Wasn't Biesel on the ST unit in'03? Wonder if that has anything to do with it? :hmmm: