PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs fan? Read this, easily the most dissapointing thing I've read all day

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2005, 12:49 AM
Here's the link, and it sickens me

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8314615/1

Chiefs still 'just looking' at the corner market
March 21, 2005
By Clark Judge
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Clark your opinion!

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- The Kansas City Chiefs went into free-agency looking for a linebacker, a safety and a cornerback, and now that they're two-thirds of the way home, it's time to ask: When do they add the cornerback?

Not anytime soon.

Patrick Surtain apparently will cost too much to obtain and sign. (AP)
Listening to team president Carl Peterson, it's clear the Chiefs' preference is to sign a veteran at the position, and he hasn't ruled out the possibility of making a move in that direction before the April 23 draft.

But let's be real here. The market is flat, Ty Law hasn't recovered from a foot injury, and there is no movement in negotiations to swing a deal for Patrick Surtain. So that leaves the Chiefs with the likelihood of adding their next cornerback with their first or second pick of the draft.

"I'd say the chances are real, real strong," said Peterson, here for the NFL's annual owners meetings.

And here's why: The Chiefs are interested in Law, but on their terms, not his. The four-time Pro Bowl cornerback, who visited Kansas City last week, is interested in a contract that includes more guaranteed money than the Chiefs will pay for a 31-year-old with a bad wheel.

Law is coming off a fractured foot that sidelined him the last 12 games last year, including Super Bowl XXXIX, and was in a protective boot when he visited the Chiefs. According to Peterson, Law must wait until May before having two screws removed from his foot, which means the club won't act on him until at least then.

And then it's interested in a contract that protects them in the event that Law re-injures himself, a deal similar to one linebacker Kendrell Bell signed with the Chiefs earlier this month.

Law's agent, Carl Poston, met with the Chiefs at the February scouting combine and later told team officials that his client has a four-year, $26 million offer to return to the Patriots. The Chiefs can't verify that, but they aren't interested in paying big money unless they catch a break from the player in negotiations anyway.

So let's say Law is out of the mix. There's always Surtain, the cornerback Miami is willing to peddle. Only there's a hitch there, too. In fact, there are two: 1) The Dolphins want a second-round pick for Surtain, and Kansas City -- which doesn't have a third-rounder this year -- won't surrender its second-rounder, too; 2) Preliminary discussions with Surtain's agent haven't gone far. Surtain, who is entering the last year of his contract in Miami, is asking for a deal that averages nearly $7 million annually and includes a signing bonus superior to the payouts to this year's top free-agent cornerbacks like Anthony Henry, Samari Rolle and Ken Lucas.

Lucas gained a signing bonus of $13 million, Rolle $11 million and Henry $10 million.

While there's still a possibility a deal could be swung, the chances right now are minimal. The two sides talked briefly Monday at the meetings, but nothing substantive emerged from the discussions. The problem is clear: The Chiefs would have to reach an agreement with Surtain before reaching an agreement on compensation with Miami, and it's stuck on both fronts.

Which means the club probably is looking at a cornerback with the either of its first two draft picks.

« Back · 1 · 2
"Yes, absolutely, there's a good chance of that happening," said Peterson. "We've scouted all the (cornerbacks) in the draft and are in the process of evaluating them, and thank goodness."

There is, of course, another possibility: Oakland cornerback Charles Woodson. The Raiders designed him as their franchise player, he signed the tender and now the club is on the hook for $10.5 million. The Raiders want to trade Woodson and probably will, but there is no market yet -- and count the Chiefs among the uninterested.

While the club is high on Woodson's athletic ability, having him rated near the top of the board of available cornerbacks when free-agency began, it's concerned about what one team official labeled "off-the-field stuff." In fact, they're so concerned that there has been no discussion about the guy.

That takes the Chiefs back to the draft, and look for them to make a move on a cornerback on the first day.

"At this point," said one club official, "that's what we're talking about."

Is anyone really surprised if this is how it goes down? The contract for Carl has been signed, what does he give a sh!t for?

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 12:56 AM
If Carl can't manage to sign Surtain or Law he just needs to commit seppuku. He botches the Rolle deal and never even brings in Smoot or Lucas. You ****ed up Carl. Take that stick out of your ass and sign somebody.

What an embarrassment.

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Ya know I was gonna wait until some reaction came from this before posting, but I changed my mind, I'm going to rant about it now.
This is the most disgusting article I've read in over a month. The fact that Patrick Surtain has not already been fitted for a Chiefs uniform regardless of how much money he is asking for is absurd. He has proven it with his on field play and off field demeanor for many years now. He is the epitamy of what the Chiefs have tried to draft and failed miserably in doing so for a solid 15 years now, with the exception of Derrick Thomas. This kind of dribble is the kind of sh!t that makes me want to scrap football and take up f*cking cricket. F*ck you Carl you money grubbing whore. Enjoy that posh new contract and spit on all of us for the next decade. F*cking worthless. Makes me wonder why I even bother

Bwana
03-22-2005, 12:57 AM
Hmmm, well it looks like they may sign some scrub or use the first round on a CB. Neither one is going to help the team much this year. I still hope they can work something out with Surtain, perhaps for a 3rd, not a second.

alanm
03-22-2005, 12:58 AM
Ty Law will be a Chief. No way they are going to pay that much money for Surtain AND give up a draft pick. And if the Pats had offered that much dinero for Law with a bad wheel he'd be a fool to pass on it. Doubtful it was ever offered. Sounds more like Agent talk to me.

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Hmmm, well it looks like they may sign some scrub or use the first round on a CB. Neither one is going to help the team much this year. I still hope they can work something out with Surtain, perhaps for a 3rd, not a second.

Why not a 2nd again? If the 1st isn't going to help us that much how would a 2nd help us more then a pro bowl CB? A 2nd is a steal for our situation. If we were the Redskins and in the same situation we are in now we would have already traded a 1st for him.

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 12:59 AM
Oh Boy.

Chiefs_Fan_n_64081
03-22-2005, 01:03 AM
at it finest.
This team is going to be over the cap anyways*.
Might as well put yourself in debt with some winners.
get some guys who can play under contract first, then sort out the $ later.
I mean, come on, give this team a chance to win more than a division title.

*As I understand it (from what I have read here and there) the deals with Bell and Knight + money needed to resign our FA + the money needed to sign draftees.

Bwana
03-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Why not a 2nd again? If the 1st isn't going to help us that much how would a 2nd help us more then a pro bowl CB? A 2nd is a steal for our situation. If we were the Redskins and in the same situation we are in now we would have already traded a 1st for him.

2nd, 3rd, I don't think it is going to happen for either one. I have a bad feeling about this CB thing, but who the hell knows? :shrug:

Pants
03-22-2005, 01:08 AM
This article is wrong about one thing, so it might be wrong about others. Chiefs will get a 3rd round pick. I'm serioulsy tired of reading all these FA articles, a few of them are ever semi-true. I've learned not to take anything serioulsy anymore bacause no one knows for sure WTF is happening in a FO of any team (except Phobia).

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 01:09 AM
2nd, 3rd, I don't think it is going to happen for either one. I have a bad feeling about this CB thing, but who the hell knows? :shrug:

The swing and miss with Rolle doomed the Chiefs. By the time they could recover Smoot, Henry, and Lucas were gone. It is looking bad that is for sure. Looks like a rookie CB and a guy like Chad Scott or Mario Edwards starting is a real possibility. Its is going to be a rough start if Warfield misses those 4 games.

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:10 AM

I think you'll get a lot more competition for Surtain if the Dolphins start talking about a third round pick... Especially given all the third round picks that just flooded the market...

tk13
03-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but you have to remember this is Carl we're talking about here, can't always take things at face value. He supposedly wasn't interested in Hartwell, but according to Pasquarelli and John Clayton at ESPN we were in the running right up to the end...

The Bad Guy
03-22-2005, 01:13 AM
And to think we have to put up with 5 more years of this shit. I might be dead by then from having to deal with this stupid bullshit the GM spews.

Let me get this straight. Surtain isn't worth 7 mill a year, but Eric Warfield, a player that couldn't carry Surtain's jock was worth 5 million a year?

Carl loves his draft picks. He was just so reluctant to give up a 2 for Vermeil when all we have is 1 winning season to show for it.

The Chiefs should of given up the 2 and signed Surtain yesterday. The guy is a stud and stud's command top dollar. The Chiefs think that players will just take discounts to play with Vermeil, but that isn't the case.

Top players want to be paid like top players. When Carl Peterson realizes you can't get chicken soup from chicken shit we might make some progress.

The Bad Guy
03-22-2005, 01:14 AM
I think you'll get a lot more competition for Surtain if the Dolphins start talking about a third round pick... Especially given all the third round picks that just flooded the market...

The Dolphins want to recoup the pick they gave up for A.J. Feeley last off-season.

There is no way in hell they take a 3. It's not like they want to give this guy away.

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:17 AM
According to this (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=23916), Surtain is already in the bag for you guys...

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 01:18 AM
According to this (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=23916), Surtain is already in the bag for you guys...

:harumph: ROFL

easymobee
03-22-2005, 01:19 AM
Something to remember ...

Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

carry on .....

ChiefsCountry
03-22-2005, 01:20 AM
This all reminds me of the Trent Green deal in 2001. It will get done before the draft either Surtain or Law will be Chiefs next season. Also look for us to pick up Warrick Holdman or someone like that for LB depth/starter.

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Something to remember ...

Compensatory picks cannot be traded.

carry on .....

Ah yes... But the original picks can be... ;)

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Hey Taco John, did your "information minister" quote me damn near word for word or what?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2348848#post2348848

Let me give you an excerpt from that post I made around the same time.

In a Sirius radio NFL update this evening apparently the Chiefs and Dolphins have worked out the trade for Patrick Surtain, however they are still trying to work out the signing bonus, as I'm sure you can imagine Surtain wants more than the Chiefs want to give him. This deal could be done as early as tommorrow. They went on to state that Ed Hartwell is expected to sign within a couple of days and KC is emerging as a favorite. Like I said this was on Sirius radio, so take it for what it's worth.

easymobee
03-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Ah yes... But the original picks can be... ;)

Just thought i'd save a lot of "Lets trade the 3rd rounder we got for Tait for Surtain" posts ....

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 01:26 AM
This all reminds me of the Trent Green deal in 2001. It will get done before the draft either Surtain or Law will be Chiefs next season. Also look for us to pick up Warrick Holdman or someone like that for LB depth/starter.

I hope you are right. I remember the scary days after Grbac and before Green. Seeing guys like Dilfer, Jamie Martin, etc parade through was unsettling. Hopefully history will repeat itself this year and Carl will pull the trigger. I have a feeling the money will stop it though.

SoCalBronco
03-22-2005, 01:28 AM
Trust me, i enjoy seeing the Chiefs **** things up, but this might be one of those King Carl negotiating tactics as with Hartwell. Now you didnt get Hartwell, but if King Carl was to be believed a few weeks earlier he had said they are no longer pursuing him as a bargaining tactic. Yet we all know that the Chiefs were there to the final minute. It could very well be that you guys are having your writers put this stuff out there about King Carl saying the next corner they get is likely in the draft as a means of lowering the asking price.

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Trust me, i enjoy seeing the Chiefs **** things up, but this might be one of those King Carl negotiating tactics as with Hartwell. Now you didnt get Hartwell, but if King Carl was to be believed a few weeks earlier he had said they are no longer pursuing him as a bargaining tactic. Yet we all know that the Chiefs were there to the final minute. It could very well be that you guys are having your writers put this stuff out there about King Carl saying the next corner they get is likely in the draft as a means of lowering the asking price.

The problem is: this shit doesn't work.

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:38 AM
Hey Taco John, did your "information minister" quote me damn near word for word or what?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2348848#post2348848

Let me give you an excerpt from that post I made around the same time.

In a Sirius radio NFL update this evening apparently the Chiefs and Dolphins have worked out the trade for Patrick Surtain, however they are still trying to work out the signing bonus, as I'm sure you can imagine Surtain wants more than the Chiefs want to give him. This deal could be done as early as tommorrow. They went on to state that Ed Hartwell is expected to sign within a couple of days and KC is emerging as a favorite. Like I said this was on Sirius radio, so take it for what it's worth.

Bob's Your Information Minister is "GoChiefs"

There is a lot of crossposting between this board and the Mane...

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2005, 01:39 AM

ahh, see I'm a new m'fer. Now that I know, :toast:

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:40 AM
Just thought i'd save a lot of "Lets trade the 3rd rounder we got for Tait for Surtain" posts ....

Good luck on that one! :)

Pants
03-22-2005, 01:42 AM

Hahah. Goat taking it for the team over at the mane. I just read that thread and you got some real gems as members over there, Taco.

Taco John
03-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Hahah. Goat taking it for the team over at the mane. I just read that thread and you got some real gems as members over there, Taco.

It takes all kinds... I assure you it's no different over here... Plenty of real gems... :)

Pants
03-22-2005, 01:47 AM
It takes all kinds... I assure you it's no different over here... Plenty of real gems... :)

Oh yeah. I forgot to add the part about CP having those too.

This particular bit jumped out at me, lol:

"If your wrong, I hope they ban your ass.....I tried of you trolling here and posting crap that doesn't happen.....other than that, you are an alright guy..."

SoCalRaider
03-22-2005, 01:56 AM
Damn... that's too bad we won't have the chance to abuse Surtain twice a year. He's one of the softest CBs in the league against the run and he's just as much of a liability against the deep ball. The Fish had to move to a cover-2 in part to make sure he had safety help deep... It's a shame you guys didn't take a page out of the rat's encyclopedia of free agency disasters and blow your wad on this pretend shutdown CB. :harumph:

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 02:06 AM
Damn... that's too bad we won't have the chance to abuse Surtain twice a year. He's one of the softest CBs in the league against the run and he's just as much of a liability against the deep ball. The Fish had to move to a cover-2 in part to make sure he had safety help deep... It's a shame you guys didn't take a page out of the rat's encyclopedia of free agency disasters and blow your wad on this pretend shutdown CB. :harumph:

Raider fans sure are cocky since they signed Moss. When was the last time you beat us again?

Mr. Flopnuts
03-22-2005, 02:11 AM
Yeah, be crystal clear you are somewhere around the tune 8-30 against the Chiefs since 1990 and that's counting playoff games. Don't talk too much trash against a team you haven't been able to "handle" in around 20 years.

philfree
03-22-2005, 02:51 AM
I'd like Law or Surtain but I'm pretty sure we can draft a cb in each of the 1st 2 rounds that can play circles around Bartee. That said I don't think either possibility of signing Law or Surtain is dead. No other team has bowed to their demands so.....It's tough for us fanatics but the waiting has game has officially begun. It might work out or it might not but IMO there are solid reasons why we just shouldn't start coughing up the asking price. No other team has so why should we?

PhilFree:arrow:

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 02:56 AM
I'd like Law or Surtain but I'm pretty sure we can draft a cb in each of the 1st 2 rounds that can play circles around Bartee. That said I don't think either possibility of signing Law or Surtain is dead. No other team has bowed to their demands so.....It's tough for us fanatics but the waiting has game has officially begun. It might work out or it might not but IMO there are solid reasons why we just shouldn't start coughing up the asking price. No other team has so why should we?

I think the leading reason why we should cough up money to sign him is so he will actually sign with our team. As opposed to signing with another team.

philfree
03-22-2005, 03:05 AM
I think the leading reason why we should cough up money to sign him is so he will actually sign with our team. As opposed to signing with another team.

I don't mind paying but I think this situation doesn't require that it gets done today. Not that I don't wish it would but....I think we have a little more time.

easymobee
03-22-2005, 03:07 AM
It's a shame you guys didn't take a page out of the rat's encyclopedia of free agency disasters and blow your wad on this pretend shutdown CB. :harumph:

There are so many things wrong with this post.

A. Shanahan's encyclopedia of FA Disasters? Al Davis invented the "FA Disaster" when he signed Larry Brown fresh off of his game of Pitch and Catch with Neil O'Donnell.

His 2 most recent FA finds have been pretty underwhelming too ... Ted Washington managed to turn every Run D he's been a part of for the last 10 years into gold ..... last year his name might have well as been Mike Mamula.

Did Warren Sapp even play last year .... or was he on the PUP list with Mazlowski? Its almost impossible to be sure.

Kerry Collins made an impact .... mostly a bad one.

B. "Pretend Shutdown CB" ... If i wasn't sure that you think Charles Woodson is a "Real" Shutdown CB maybe i would just assume that you meant the rules limit a CB's impact more now than a few years ago.

Charles Woodson only leads the league in attempted locker room mutinies, contract squabbles, and dirty team laundry aired in public these days. If Champ and Surtain are overrated .... what does that make Charles Woodson?

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't mind paying but I think this situation doesn't require that it gets done today. Not that I don't wish it would but....I think we have a little more time.

We probably do have plenty of time, but one of the main reasons we are always getting jerked around and in bad situations like this is because of the casualness of our FO in general and Carl in particular.

Maybe for once we should go ahead and hurry the hell up and sign the guy. Carl doesn't seem especially gifted at judging when it is time to stop dicking around and get down to business.

philfree
03-22-2005, 03:44 AM
We probably do have plenty of time, but one of the main reasons we are always getting jerked around and in bad situations like this is because of the casualness of our FO in general and Carl in particular.

Maybe for once we should go ahead and hurry the hell up and sign the guy. Carl doesn't seem especially gifted at judging when it is time to stop dicking around and get down to business.

I think we'll check Laws progress right before the draft and if is healing properly and his prognosis is positive we will gamble on him. If his situation is to unclear we'll make the trade foe Surtain. We draft CB either way in the 1st round.

~goodight~

beer bacon
03-22-2005, 04:30 AM
I think we'll check Laws progress right before the draft and if is healing properly and his prognosis is positive we will gamble on him. If his situation is to unclear we'll make the trade foe Surtain. We draft CB either way in the 1st round.

~goodight~

I see some team coming out of no where to trade for Surtain. After that Law will have us by the balls. Carl will be a hardass and still not sign him since Law will up his asking price.

ChiefFripp
03-22-2005, 04:44 AM
It's hard to say what Carl's plan really is. Whatever he tells the press could just be negotiation bait, who knows? Once this offseason is over and we have signed whoever it is we will sign, then it will be fair to judge this offseasons aquisitions.

Bootlegged
03-22-2005, 05:56 AM
I fuggin hate this front office. Dipshits, absolute dipshits.

BigChiefFan
03-22-2005, 07:51 AM
If they are planing on the first rounder being the upgrade and the missing puzzle piece, I just don't see it happening. Missing out on Rolle sucks ass and it doesn't seem the Chiefs are willing to pay what it takes to have a premier CB on the roster. You get what you pay for and that is exactly why we have been the laughingstock of the league for 4 years running. Carl's plan of going into next season with Bartee, McCleon, Sapp, and Battle as the starters sucks and it's absurd that is their plan for improvement.

Bob Dole
03-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Wait until the news that Warfield is unhappy in KC and wants to leave leaks out...

Then Carl will look even more brilliant.

the Talking Can
03-22-2005, 08:05 AM
lmao....there is no way in hell CP will pay for a #1 CB, that has been a smoke screen since the very start...and now we'll have the pleasure of listening to fans tell us that it was CP's plan all along to acquire a CB in the draft and not FA..and besides, the FA players are greedy..they just care about money and not winning...and Bartee might improve, and McCleon just needs another year in Gunther's system, and....

Rolle/Smoot/Baxter/Lucas...if we wanted a CB we'd have one by now, Surtain will cost more than all of them + a draft pick...good grief, thank god we didn't sign Hartwell either, that greedy bastard.....we haven't even reached the Barber/Holliday/McCleon level yet

BigChiefFan
03-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Carl's motto "we are committed to winning as long as it doesn't cost us too much."

tiptap
03-22-2005, 08:10 AM
I would ask about the Chargers CBs. Both the starters are recent draft picks and yes they had troubles early on but have now looked oK. Our situation only demands one, not two CBs, (assuming only 2 game suspension for Warfield). It should be possible to get a draft CB that could help even in this season.
I figure everyone's position or start is on the line this year on the defensive side of the ball. There will be cuts of contracted players as the team can't afford to develop anymore and we will trim to make the cap. With all of the picks on second day I can assure you there will be plenty of competition for spots in camp.

BigRedChief
03-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Discounts to play for the worst defense in the league, a coach that says hes leaving after next year? WTF is King Carl thinking?

alanm
03-22-2005, 08:26 AM
If they are planing on the first rounder being the upgrade and the missing puzzle piece, I just don't see it happening. Missing out on Rolle sucks ass and it doesn't seem the Chiefs are willing to pay what it takes to have a premier CB on the roster. You get what you pay for and that is exactly why we have been the laughingstock of the league for 4 years running. Carl's plan of going into next season with Bartee, McCleon, Sapp, and Battle as the starters sucks and it's absurd that is their plan for improvement.
Don't lump Sapp into that group of bums. Sapp actually has talent. :cuss:

BigChiefFan
03-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Don't lump Sapp into that group of bums. Sapp actually has talent. :cuss:He may have talent, but that didn't keep teams from scoring at will even when he was on the field.

chiefs4me
03-22-2005, 08:49 AM

First of all nobody wants to look at that ugly raiders logo this early in the morning. It scared the hell out of my son......:harumph:

Second of all......that is my smiley...don't use it again, you have made it dirty now......:deevee:

Third of all....when in the hell have the raiders every abused the chiefs.....if no one has told you yet....let me be the first...The chiefs own the raiders.:harumph:

CosmicPal
03-22-2005, 09:03 AM
The writer of this article has eaten so many Rocky Mountain Oysters that he is so full of sh*t.

The most pressing need for KC's defense is an additional corner. They know very well, if they want to advance to and beyond the playoffs that they need to get a veteran CB. And that is what they will do- they will get a veteran CB. It's a certainty they will draft one or two or more, but they will also pick up a veteran CB via free agency or trade.

They know damn well, if they want to be above .500 this year- a veteran CB is a must.

BigRedChief
03-22-2005, 09:10 AM
From the chiefs coalition site. Did anyone else hear this?

I guess everyone thinks its ok to slam the Chiefs' defense.
I was watching sportcenter and they were highlighting the Vanderbilt - Wichita State basketball game and with 0.7 seconds left, Vanderbilt hits an open player under the basket who puts in in a lay-up to win.
When they show the replay, the sportcenter announcer (I don't know who he is) comments: "and just like the Kansas City Chiefs secondary, Wichita State lets Vanderbilt get wide open" I'm paraphrasing because I was shocked when I heard it and don't recall the exact phrase, but its not far off.
Bastards...

Gaz
03-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, we earned it…

xoxo~
Gaz
Wearing the shoe that fits.

ROYC75
03-22-2005, 09:44 AM
It's hard to say what Carl's plan really is. Whatever he tells the press could just be negotiation bait, who knows? Once this offseason is over and we have signed whoever it is we will sign, then it will be fair to judge this offseasons aquisitions.

BINGO ........................

All of this jumping around by you members is almost comical. W ehaven't a clue as to what CP is doing, for that matter, most of us believe he has no clue as to what he is doing.

Grab a beer, kick back, wait and see , it less stressfull this way .
:thumb:

TEX
03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
No excuse for not signing a CB last year when MANY were on the market. It's just too hard to do it all in one year. FKN idiots. :shake:

TEX
03-22-2005, 10:06 AM
From the chiefs coalition site. Did anyone else hear this?

I guess everyone thinks its ok to slam the Chiefs' defense.
I was watching sportcenter and they were highlighting the Vanderbilt - Wichita State basketball game and with 0.7 seconds left, Vanderbilt hits an open player under the basket who puts in in a lay-up to win.
When they show the replay, the sportcenter announcer (I don't know who he is) comments: "and just like the Kansas City Chiefs secondary, Wichita State lets Vanderbilt get wide open" I'm paraphrasing because I was shocked when I heard it and don't recall the exact phrase, but its not far off.
Bastards...

I heard it as well and that's exactly how it was said. But, it is true... :shake:

ChiefsCountry
03-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Wait until the news that Warfield is unhappy in KC and wants to leave leaks out...

Then Carl will look even more brilliant.

Carl got lucky on this one, the state is keeping Warfield a Chief through house arrest. :)

the Talking Can
03-22-2005, 10:22 AM
lmao....there is no way in hell CP will pay for a #1 CB, that has been a smoke screen since the very start...and now we'll have the pleasure of listening to fans tell us that it was CP's plan all along to acquire a CB in the draft and not FA..and besides, the FA players are greedy..they just care about money and not winning...

in case you thought I was joking*:

posted by GRETZ (named changed to protect original poster...)

"If we do not sign Surtain [whether it is because he wants a barrel full of money or because Miami maintains the pick demands], we could go with a rookie CB or a lesser light FA CB [which is my choice anyway].

In any case, it will be an upgrade over McCleon/Bartee."

Carl's lexicon (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=112712)

*yes, I'm being a dick, but I'm really just trying to pass the time until I have to go on a shooting spree because CP refused to sign a #1 CB in the offseason....

Pants
03-22-2005, 04:42 PM
lmao....there is no way in hell CP will pay for a #1 CB, that has been a smoke screen since the very start...and now we'll have the pleasure of listening to fans tell us that it was CP's plan all along to acquire a CB in the draft and not FA..and besides, the FA players are greedy..they just care about money and not winning...and Bartee might improve, and McCleon just needs another year in Gunther's system, and....

Rolle/Smoot/Baxter/Lucas...if we wanted a CB we'd have one by now, Surtain will cost more than all of them + a draft pick...good grief, thank god we didn't sign Hartwell either, that greedy bastard.....we haven't even reached the Barber/Holliday/McCleon level yet

If he doesn't get Law or Surtain - I quit!

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 05:28 PM
If he doesn't get Law or Surtain - I quit!

Don't do it man :thumb:

Mr. Laz
03-22-2005, 05:41 PM
Surtain, who is entering the last year of his contract in Miami, is asking for a deal that averages nearly $7 million annually and includes a signing bonus superior to the payouts to this year's top free-agent cornerbacks like Anthony Henry, Samari Rolle and Ken Lucas.

Lucas gained a signing bonus of $13 million, Rolle $11 million and Henry $10 million?
once again ... we have created our own problem

we dicked around early in FA and now we will either have to pay MORE than we would have earlier for a premium cornerback or we will have to go without.

so when is the first "hindsight" excuse gonna get played by somebody?

it's been done time and time again .... we don't identify a problem until it's too late, or we don't move on a problem until it's so severe that we can just claim that it's not worth it.

same dam thing happen when marty shottenheimer quit. Marty came back and told carl and lamar he was quitting.... they told him to go on his 2 week vacation and think about it. Then 3 weeks later they come out and say marty is gone, we are going to look for a new head coach.

well in the 3 week time perod all the good head coaches and their staff had already been hired.

so then everyone looks around and says "we gotta hire gunther, there's nobody else available"

they were correct of course, nobody else was available .... BUT only cause we d!cked around until nobody else WAS available.

Back youself into a corner so you have a viable excuse for not getting the job done. standing chiefs front office SOP.

old_geezer
03-22-2005, 05:47 PM
once again ... we have created our own problem

we dicked around early in FA and now we will either have to pay MORE than we would have earlier for a premium cornerback or we will have to go without.

so when is the first "hindsight" excuse gonna get played by somebody?

Couldn't have said it better myself. The Chiefs screwed the pooch on the Rolle signing and evidently had no back-up plan in place. Instead they sat back and watched as all the top CB's were signed and off the market. Now they're left with the prospect of paying out the wazoo for one of the two remaining CBs or going home with nothing. Business as usual. :banghead:

Pants
03-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. The Chiefs screwed the pooch on the Rolle signing and evidently had no back-up plan in place. Instead they sat back and watched as all the top CB's were signed and off the market. Now they're left with the prospect of paying out the wazoo for one of the two remaining CBs or going home with nothing. Business as usual. :banghead:

I think the rest of the top CB FA's (Lucas, Baxter) got signed during the whole Samari ordeal. At that time Chiefs were hoping to get Samari Rolle.

Mr. Laz
03-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I think the rest of the top CB FA's (Lucas, Baxter) got signed during the whole Samari ordeal. At that time Chiefs were hoping to get Samari Rolle.
but that's kinda the point... they created their own problem

they put all their eggs in one basket and then refused to pull the trigger.

either get the job done or give yourself more than 1 option.

Archie Bunker
03-22-2005, 06:24 PM
but that's kinda the point... they put all their eggs in one basket and then refused to pull the trigger.

Exactly. There was no excuse not to bring in more CBs at the beginning of FA. Look at the way they hedged their bets at MLB Trotter, Bell, and Hartwell were brought in within the first 48 hrs of FA why they did not do the same thing at CB I will never understand.

Pants
03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
but that's kinda the point... they created their own problem

they put all their eggs in one basket and then refused to pull the trigger.

I know. I was just saying that there was no point in time when Chiefs just sat there watching the CBs signall over the league. They were busy "signing" their own FA.

ChiefsCountry
03-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Law and Surtain are way better than any of the other cornerbacks that signed earlier including Rolle.