PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: Hansen full of ideas

tk13
03-22-2005, 02:39 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11196730.htm

Pitch man

Royals' Hansen is full of ideas and is not shy about sharing

JOE POSNANSKI

SURPRISE, Ariz. – Pitching, Guy Hansen is saying, comes down to four things. He doesn't seem too sure about that number, actually. You get the sense that if you caught Hansen on a different day, he might say that pitching comes down to seven things or three things or nine things that begin with the letter “Q.”

On this day, though, it is four things.

“The first key to pitching is vision,” Hansen says. “The second thing is direction. The third thing is tempo. And the fourth thing is … the fourth thing is … um …”

Hansen, the Royals' new pitching coach, looks back into the clubhouse and tries to pick up a clue on that fourth thing about pitching.

He is eerily quiet for a long time, but then it's always eerie when Guy Hansen is not talking. He was born for the stage — his mother, Lola Jensen, was a Hollywood dancer — and in his 57 years Hansen has been a dance instructor, golf pro, bartender, talent agent, disco owner, scout, blackjack player, movie editor and public-relations man. He never stopped talking along the way.

Then he found his calling. He became a pitching coach. The words really poured out of him then, faster and hotter than ever before. He could not help himself. He talked about anything that came to mind. He ticked off managers. He was quoted more than Mark Twain. He clashed with certain pitchers. He got himself fired the first time he was a Royals pitching coach. He resigned the second time.

He also talked many pitchers into believing they were better than they knew.

“If you listen to Guy long enough,” former Royals pitcher Mike Magnante once said, “you think you're Sandy Koufax.”

“I've worked with so many pitchers in my life,” Hansen says now as he begins his third run with the Royals. “And I can divide them up into two groups. The first group listens to me. The second group thinks they already have it all figured out. In my experience, only the first group wins.”

He shrugs. This is how Guy Hansen talks.

“Deception!” he suddenly shouts. “That's the fourth thing: Vision, direction, tempo and deception. That's pitching. That's all there is to it.”

“Those sound like life, too,” you tell him.

“No difference,” Guy Hansen says.

Pitching key No. 1: Vision.

The thing you no doubt noticed if you have followed the Royals at all this spring is that Guy Hansen always has an answer. The man is never at a loss. Give him a 6-foot-10 hulk named Andrew Sisco — a hard-throwing and star-crossed 22-year-old kid the Chicago Cubs gave up on — and he says, “Give that guy a fosh!” Voila! In 20 minutes, Hansen teaches Sisco how to throw a foshball (a split-fingered change-up), and Sisco gives up just one hit in his first four outings.

“The foshball is his money pitch!” Hansen gushes.

“Sisco has made incredible strides,” Royals general manager Allard Baird says.

This story has been played and replayed again and again all spring. Of course, it's just spring, and there's no telling who will blow up when the real season begins.

Still he gave Mike MacDougal a new grip and control (“He's hitting the glove every time,” Royals catcher John Buck says). He rebuilt Brian Anderson's delivery. He helped Kyle Snyder develop his change-up. He sped up Jimmy Gobble's delivery. He worked with Jeremy Affeldt on not tipping his pitches. Everybody's been touched.

“I will make a pitcher better,” Hansen says bluntly. “That's one thing I know.”

When asked how he developed that skill, he shrugs.

“I've seen an awful lot in my life,” he says.

Pitching key No. 2: Direction.

Guy Hansen still holds an NCAA record. He struck out 11 straight hitters when he was a pitcher at UCLA. He didn't throw hard, but he did have a special pitch — sometimes Hansen calls it a knuckle-curve, other times a slip-pitch — that few could hit.

Hansen was drafted by the Royals in the 44th round, which shows you how little everybody thought of him. Soon after he started pro baseball, a pitching coach told him to get rid of his pitch and start trying to throw hard.

So Hansen tried to throw harder. He could not. He quit baseball after four years.

Still, when your mother was a dancer who appeared in movies with Lucille Ball and the Three Stooges, and your father helped conceive “Bob's Big Boy,” you might believe that you are destined for greatness.

Hansen married a beautiful top-10 tennis player named Betty Ann Grubb. He tried for a while to join the PGA Tour. He got divorced. Then, he tried a lot of other things — he tried to be the next Dick Clark, tried promoting exercise guru Jack LaLanne, tried his luck at the blackjack table. He tried.

“I was searching,” he says. One day, when he was in the hospital overnight, his father brought him Bob Shaw's classic book, Pitching. Hansen read it four times. The book is about fundamentals, mechanics, it's very basic. Hansen was mesmerized.

“I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life right then,” he said.

Of course, knowing and doing are two different things.

Pitching key No. 3: Tempo.

Hansen began his quest to become a major-league pitching coach in 1981 in Sarasota, Fla. He lasted one year. He tried to coach in 1983 in Butte, Mont. One year. He was too brash. Too outspoken. People told him to concentrate on his scouting — he was a great scout. In one three-year period with the Royals, he signed Bret Saberhagen, Kevin Appier, Cecil Fielder and Jeff Conine. The man knew talent. He knew how to cultivate it.

He just needed an audience.

“Here's the thing about Guy,” says Brian Murphy, the Royals' assistant to the general manager. “If you spent 30 minutes with him — and I'm talking you or anybody — he would have you convinced you could get guys out. That's what he lives for, I think.”

In time, Hansen did work his way up through the minors as a pitching coach. In 1992, in a rather stunning move, he was hired by Hal McRae to be the Royals' pitching coach.

And Hansen immediately became the most quoted guy in the clubhouse. The guy couldn't be boring — he didn't know how. He told one reporter that he would resign if the Royals didn't finish in the top three in ERA. (They finished sixth — Hansen did not resign.)

He told people that Kevin Appier had a chance to be the best pitcher in baseball (Appier finished second and first in ERA the next two years). He promised superstardom, challenged everybody, made a lot of bold predictions and wild statements.

Rule of thumb: Managers tend not to like pitching coaches who talk a lot.

“If I could go back,” Hansen says, “I would probably not say everything I said.”

McRae fired Hansen after the 1993 season. Two years later, Hansen came back to be bullpen coach for manager Bob Boone. After two seasons with Boone and then manager Tony Muser, he resigned. He certainly was going to be let go anyway. Other coaches insisted he was spying for management.

Hansen denied it. But he was still out of work.

He went to scout with the Atlanta Braves. He became a pitching coach for the Class AAA team in Richmond, Va. He said he was happy.

In his heart, he wanted one more shot at the big leagues.

“I've been trying to get Guy back here ever since I became general manager,” Baird says. “I don't know what happened in the past, and you know what? I don't care. I see Guy Hansen and all I think is this: ‘This guy is going to make our baseball team a whole lot better.'”

Pitching key No. 4: Deception.

There seems to be a good reason that deception was the one key Guy Hansen could not remember. He's never been much good at it. He comes at people straight on. He says exactly what he's thinking. He does not couch his words to protect other people's feelings. He does not back down easily, even now.

Take his clash with Zack Greinke this camp. Greinke is 21 and a remarkable talent. Many people in the organization think that he's been coddled because of his age and ability. Well, Hansen saw that Greinke was standing all the way to the left of the rubber. He thinks Greinke should move over 5 inches.

Greinke, who has not had many people tell him what to do, said no.

Hansen will not back down.

“I'm not going to tiptoe around this kid,” he says. “If they want a babysitter, they got the wrong pitching coach, I can promise you that. I'm here to coach. If Zack would just listen, he'd know that I can help him.”

Hansen has no use for guys who won't listen. He figures he helped Bret Saberhagen win two Cy Youngs, worked with David Cone and Kevin Appier and has talked pitching with John Smoltz and Greg Maddux. Hansen figures he knows something.

Now, he calls Royals pitcher Mike Wood “Mad Dog” because he sees him as a Greg Maddux clone. He says Denny Bautista is the most intimidating pitcher he ever saw. He says Greinke — “If the kid will just listen” — could win multiple Cy Young Awards. He thinks Jeremy Affeldt is “another Barry Zito with a better fastball” and Nate Field is “the kind of guy you win championships with.”

Guy Hansen sees Cy Young where others see Cyclops.

“It will take time,” Hansen says. But this is going to be one of the best pitching staffs in baseball.”

Pitching, Guy Hansen says, comes down to four things. And then, suddenly, Hansen remembers a fifth thing. A fifth key.

Hansen is 57, and he still doesn't have much deception in his pitching. He still talks loud and free. Reporters still surround him. Pitchers, the ones who listen, still love him. And he can still get on people's nerves.

But he does believe that this will work. Something is different this time.

He says the fifth key to pitching is luck. And Guy Hansen feels lucky.

tk13
03-22-2005, 02:40 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11196018.htm

Gotay looks like KC's go-to guy

By BOB DUTTON The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz. — Circumstances, improved defense and a hot bat have the Royals re-evaluating their plan to have second baseman Ruben Gotay open the season at Class AAA Omaha, Neb.

Even before veteran Tony Graffanino rolled his ankle, club officials found it increasingly tough to overlook Gotay's production as they contemplated a lineup that even they acknowledge will struggle to score runs.

Now, it seems all but certain that Gotay will be at second base when the season opens April 4 in Detroit.

“It looks like it's going to be Gotay,” Royals general manager Allard Baird said. “I think it's going to be tough for Graf to be ready to play every day by opening day.”

Gotay, 22, entered the week as the Cactus League leader in slugging percentage and total bases and tied for the lead in hits and homers.

Sure, spring numbers are often mightily inaccurate indicators, but Gotay batted .270 last season in 44 games against big-league pitchers after his Aug. 3 promotion from Class AA Wichita.

“Gotay can hit,” Royals manager Tony Peña said. “We've always known he could hit.”

The questions center on Gotay's defense: his lack of range, his suspect arm and his flaws in the turning the pivot on double plays.

Gotay shrugs it all off.

“In this business,” he said, “it doesn't matter how well you're doing, people are always going to find something you're doing wrong. I know that every day I need to learn something. I need to work on my defense.

“But I know I've been doing well, and I'm going to get a lot better.”

The Royals, however, wanted those lessons learned in the minors. Until Gotay's bat forced the re-evaluation.

Graffanino's latest injury virtually closed the discussion.

“It's still early,” Baird said, “and I don't want to go down a path before I have to. I'm just keeping all of our options available. Right now, a lot hinges on Graf.”

The Royals limited Graffanino's throwing early in camp as a precaution as he worked to strengthen his right shoulder after undergoing surgery in August to repair a torn rotator cuff.

Graffanino then rolled his left ankle last Wednesday — in only his second game at second base — while fielding a routine grounder. Graffanino insists he'll be ready for the regular season, but he isn't expected to return to the lineup, even on a limited basis, before this weekend.

“Graf says he feels good,” Baird said, “but does that mean he's going to be ready opening day? I'm concerned that he's not healthy, and we're about to start the season.”

Some club officials advocated shifting Graffanino to utility duty, his usual role, even before his ankle injury. That view argued that a combination of Gotay as the starter and Graffanino in reserve offered more than the projected pairing of Graffanino and veteran minor-leaguer Chris Clapinski.

That argument is now moot.

Clapinski is sidelined by an elbow injury and isn't expected back anytime soon. That leaves Denny Hocking as the club's top utility candidate if Graffanino starts at second base.

“I heard a lot of things about who is the second baseman,” Gotay said, “but I don't pay any attention. I'm trying to do my best to make the team. That's all I can do. Everything else is not up to me. It's out of my control.”

The concerns about his defense are diminishing, too.

“He's done a great job,” Baird said. “Believe me, I'm not being negative on him. He's working on his defense. He's throwing the ball extremely well. He's much better on the pivot. And he's swinging the bat.”

Another endorsement comes from former Royal Frank White, an eight-time Gold Glove winner at second base who managed Gotay last season at Wichita.

“I have all the confidence that he can do the job,” White said. “I know there are a lot of questions about his range and ability to turn the double play, but he's still a developing player. You just have to keep him on his routine and keep him working on the little things.

“In today's game, second base is viewed more as an offensive position. Therefore, making the routine play is probably more important than a player's overall range. You just need to be able to hit. And he can hit.”

tk13
03-22-2005, 02:41 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11196731.htm

THE DAY IN CAMP

Kansas City 12, Chicago (NL) 5

LOOK WHO'S TALKING: “Got the first one. Maybe this will open up things. I've been right on the button with everything, and it's like 17 guys are on the field.”

--Calvin Pickering, who had just one hit in his last 17 at-bats before lining an eighth-inning single into right field

ARMS RACE

Left-hander Jimmy Gobble gave up three runs, four hits and two walks in three innings. He also committed a costly throwing error on a potential inning-ending double play that could have saved him two runs.

“Just trying to do too much,” he said. “This game is much easier when you keep it simple.”

ON THE BUBBLE

• First base/DH: Ken Harvey started at first and went one for four with two runs scored. Calvin Pickering replaced Mike Sweeney as the DH in the seventh and went one for two. Harvey is six for 29 overall; Pickering is six for 33.

• Right field: Emil Brown started in right field and had a monster day, going three for three with a homer and five RBIs. Aaron Guiel struck out in his only at-bat. Abraham Nuñez didn't play. Brown is 15 for 33 with four homers and 14 RBIs; Guiel is nine for 36 with one homer and nine RBIs; Nuñez is five for 30 with no RBIs.

INSIDE THE CLUBHOUSE

The Royals are still trying to work out a minor-league contract with utility infielder Joe McEwing, who was released last week by the Mets. McEwing, 32, has a .253 career average in seven seasons.

ETC.

• Third baseman Mark Teahen committed his fourth error in 15 games when he threw wildly to first in the fifth inning.

• Matt Stairs went three for three with a homer after having just three hits in his previous 24 at-bats.

• Angel Berroa is 18 for 37 in his last 11 games after going three for four.

• Ruben Gotay's hitting streak ended at 11 games when he went zero for four.

• The attendance of 9,561 was the highest of the spring for the Royals at Surprise Stadium.

INJURY REPORT

Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt threw 15 pitches in a minor-league game. It was his first game action since suffering a strained adductor muscle in his groin March 12 against the Giants.

Utility infielder Chris Clapinski left camp to drive home to California before consulting later this week with physician Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles. Clapinski, 33, is seeking a second opinion on his as-yet unspecified elbow injury.

— Bob Dutton/The Star

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GAME SUMMARY

Outfielder Emil Brown strengthened his bid for a roster spot Monday afternoon by going three for three with a homer and five RBIs in helping the Royals to a 12-5 victory over the Chicago Cubs at Surprise Stadium.

“He has been making a case since we started to play him,” Royals manager Tony Peña said. “The more we play him, the better he looks.”

Brown entered camp as a long-shot candidate after signing with the Royals in December as a minor-league free agent. He now appears a clear leader over Abraham Nuñez and Aaron Guiel in their three-way battle.

The Royals, 7-11-2, turned the game into a rout by scoring seven times in the second inning against Cubs starter Ryan Dempster. Matt Stairs opened the inning with a homer; Brown contributed an RBI single.

Mike Sweeney homered in the fifth, and Brown hit a three-run shot in the sixth.

Royals starter Zack Greinke allowed just one earned run in 4 1/3 innings. He has allowed only one earned run and six hits in eight innings over his last two starts after giving up eight runs and seven hits in his previous 3 2/3 innings.

PLAY OF THE DAY

Royals alum Neifi Perez, now with the Cubs, provided a trip down memory lane while playing shortstop in the fourth inning.

Perez chose not to shift his feet on Ken Harvey's routine grounder. Instead, Perez opted for a sloppy backhanded attempt, and the ball clanged off his glove for an error.

It was like 2001-02 all over again.

big nasty kcnut
03-22-2005, 03:13 AM
I'm thinking that the royals will be good on pitching and a little weak on hitting. Let hope they work on the hitting part.

Spicy McHaggis
03-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Holy Crap I had no idea Sisco was that tall. I'd heard it mentioned before that he was big but I figured they meant around 6 foot 4 or something.

keg in kc
03-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Man, that Hansen article by JoPo is tasty stuff. Reading a story like that is what makes me want to write.PLAY OF THE DAY

Royals alum Neifi Perez, now with the Cubs, provided a trip down memory lane while playing shortstop in the fourth inning.

Perez chose not to shift his feet on Ken Harvey's routine grounder. Instead, Perez opted for a sloppy backhanded attempt, and the ball clanged off his glove for an error.

It was like 2001-02 all over again.Ouch. ROFL

tk13
03-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Holy Crap I had no idea Sisco was that tall. I'd heard it mentioned before that he was big but I figured they meant around 6 foot 4 or something.
Yeah, that's why they went after him. He's supposed to be extremely long, so long that by the time he releases the ball it only has to go like 53 feet to home plate... it bears down on you quick. I believe he maxes out at about 94-95 mph but I'm not sure he really has any pitches that are overwhelming, he just has great size and potential.

keg in kc
03-22-2005, 04:14 AM
He's supposed to be extremely long,That's why I used to pitch. I mean, I'm only six feet tall, but I'm...long.

teedubya
03-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Guy Hansen sees Cy Young where others see Cyclops.

ROFL

teedubya
03-22-2005, 04:29 AM
1. foshball (n) a breaking pitch that is a hybrid of a forkball and a changeup.</FONT>

DaWolf
03-22-2005, 07:24 AM
This is all talk. I need to see results. Hansen should pipe down and just produce results. I'm tired of hearing how this guy and that guy are going to be great and then we get to the middle of June and one of those guys has a 5.59 ERA and the other one has already blown out his arm...

Coach
03-22-2005, 08:52 AM
1. foshball (n) a breaking pitch that is a hybrid of a forkball and a changeup.</FONT>

I wonder how in the hell you can throw a foshball. :hmmm:

beavis
03-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Right field: Emil Brown started in right field and had a monster day, going three for three with a homer and five RBIs. Aaron Guiel struck out in his only at-bat. Abraham Nuñez didn't play. Brown is 15 for 33 with four homers and 14 RBIs; Guiel is nine for 36 with one homer and nine RBIs; Nuñez is five for 30 with no RBIs.
This Brown guy has just come out of nowhere. Hopefully his numbers will half way hold up.

siberian khatru
03-22-2005, 09:28 AM

Mike Boddicker used to throw that pitch.

Sure-Oz
03-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Who the hell is emil brown??

I hope we have pitching cause there wont be much O, we can hope we pull a twins i gues and be fundamentally sound and win!

beavis
03-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Who the hell is emil brown??

I hope we have pitching cause there wont be much O, we can hope we pull a twins i gues and be fundamentally sound and win!
Being this young, fundamentally sound is one thing I wouldn't count on us being. Teahan already has 4 errors in 15 games if that gives you any indication.

I'm skeptical as to whether the pitching can hold up either. The Royals have shown nothing put ineptitude in keeping their pitchers healthy over the course of a 162 games. It won't matter if they are lights out through June if they are on the DL the rest of the season.

We need a sleeper guy to have a career year (ie Brown) like Ibanez had for us before. Berroa needs to rebound after his sophomore slump. The rookies need to play like they aren't rookies.

Either way, I think this team will be a lot more fun to watch this year.

tyton75
03-22-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm excited about Hansen.. he has had success with pitchers where ever he goes... he doesn't coddle them and he expects his pitchers to finish the damn games... not just get to the 4th or the 5th and pull them because of pitch count...

pitchers back in the day pitched all the time and you hardly heard of arm problems with them.. now.. it seems everyone is having Tommy John surgery!

I for one am excited about this season!

Dr. Van Halen
03-22-2005, 10:58 AM
I for one am excited about this season!

Why? The off chance they won't finish dead last in the league? That is exciting. Hooray, baseball!

tk13
03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I imagine you throw it like a split-finger but choke it back in your hand really far, but I'm not sure...