PDA

View Full Version : Romanowski loses and has to pay #340,000

dirk digler
03-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Sorry if this a repost but I am glad that loser lost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2019325

Williams sought millions but pleased with verdict
Associated Press

OAKLAND, Calif. -- A jury ordered Bill Romanowski to pay former Oakland Raiders teammate Marcus Williams $340,000 in damages for smashing the tight end's face with a punch during a practice drill in 2003.

Williams had been seeking millions of dollars in damages for the Aug. 24, 2003, attack, saying it broke his left eye socket, shortened his memory, gave him double vision and depression, and ended his career after less than two seasons.

Bill Romanowski
The jury order Bill Romanowski to pay $340,000 in damages to Marcus Williams.
"We are very pleased with the verdict because it establishes that there are limits to the violence in football," said Williams' attorney, James Brosnahan.

Williams received $40,000 in medical expenses and $300,000 for lost wages -- about one season's salary.

Jurors reached their verdict after deliberating for two days. Romanowski showed no visible emotion as the verdict was read, but his wife gave him a hug.

Neither side said it plans to appeal the verdict.

"If Marcus Williams would have come to us then and said write us a check for $340,000 this would have been done in a heart beat," said Romanowki's attorney, Jeffrey Springer. "There was never an opportunity in this case to settle this case or resolve it for anything other than millions of dollars."

During the trial, Williams testified that after he blocked Romanowski during a running drill, Romanowski grabbed his helmet and then ripped it off before the crushing blow was delivered.

"This was not football -- there are lines and limits and rules," Brosnahan said.

Romanowski told jurors he did punch Williams in the face, but did not remember much more about the fight.

"There was a fight that broke out," he said. "My reaction was a reaction from being pushed in the back."

Williams also testified that his life has now turned into nightmare, with no real hopes of playing football while at the same time seeing Romanowski in his dreams.

"He is satisfied that we established what we set out to establish ... that what Romanowski did was wrong," Brosnahan said. "You have to respect the jury because they listen carefully to all the evidence."

Williams, who entered the league as an undrafted free agent, played in 13 games as a rookie during Oakland's Super Bowl season. He was used primarily on special teams but was trying to earn a regular position before the injury.

The Raiders have claimed they are not responsible for any damages and fined Romanowski $60,000. Romanowski was not charged with a crime.

Romanowski, a married father of two, is known for fanatical behavior during his career and has been fined more than $100,000.

Romanowski, released by the Raiders last March after failing a physical, has a long history of scrapes with opponents and others. One of his more well-publicized confrontations came in December 1997, when he spit in the face of San Francisco 49ers receiver J.J. Stokes while playing for the Denver Broncos in a nationally televised game.

KCWolfman
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
This should make BD happy, it is considerably less than the mil he thought was the max Romo should pay.

Phobia
03-22-2005, 09:33 PM
So he didn't actually lose at all. Jury's can award millions for potential lost wages, pain and suffering in horrible cases but this one gets $340k? That's sad. Romo ended the dude's football career.

ROYC75
03-22-2005, 09:37 PM
Wonder if Romo paid the judge or threatened him ?

Rain Man
03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Romanowski got off too easy.

kc rush
03-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Too bad it wasn't for more. What is $340,000 to Romo?

Talk about teflon, this guy has gotten away with more than anyone should.

dirk digler
03-22-2005, 09:41 PM
I guess it is better than nothing though.

whoman69
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Some dweeb whose only job has been at McDonalds can get millions for lost wages and Romo only has to give up 300K.

Frazod
03-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Romanowski got off too easy.

Way easy. That's nothing to that prick. :shake:

stumppy
03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
The Chicken shit got off way too easy. I forget what the minimum salary is for the NFL, but Homonowski should have had to pay the equivalent of a few years.

Phobia
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Way easy. That's nothing to that prick. :shake:

Yup. He probably had that much in attorney's fees.

Frazod
03-22-2005, 09:54 PM

Or that freakish Michael Jackson coffin he sleeps in.

God, I hate that f#cker. :#

Bwana
03-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Chump change for that hump.

Sparhawk
03-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Utterly disgusting. I agree the dirtbag should've had to pay minimum vet salary for ten years or so after destroying his career. Who knows maybe if we're lucky Romo will now disappear from the public eye.(Or even better get ran over by a Mack Truck?)

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2005, 10:54 PM
That's fair. Romo should offer him double or nothing in no holds barred fight. Beat that ass Bill, beat that ass. That guy was a nobody. He should have tried to settle out of court for a cool mill, he probably would have got it and not had to hand 50% over to his attorney that obviously did a shitty job. I would have given him noi more than mill but that's just me. Wish Romanowski would have played for us, he guy was an athlete.

Rain Man
03-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Wish Romanowski would have played for us...

TAKE THAT BACK! YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2005, 10:56 PM

He probably spent that much on hookers every year but that isn't here or there, he was just trying to have a good time. It isn't easy being Bill you know.

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2005, 11:03 PM
TAKE THAT BACK! YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

ROFL I thought you wanted some D, a little intensity and someone that wanted to hit somebody. :shrug:

Eleazar
03-22-2005, 11:19 PM
He could have earned more than that being a nobody TE in the NFL for a few years.

BIG_DADDY
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
He could have earned more than that being a nobody TE in the NFL for a few years.

And he would have if hadn't gone around pushing starters in the back after the play was over. He probably would have got a cool mill for just asking too but NOOOOOOOOO he wanted to go for the big bucks, now look at him. You know what they say, mess with the bull, get the horns. If he wants some big bucks I am sure they would give him some for a PPV no holds barred fight with Romanowski. Then again he probably is still having nightmares about old Bill woopin that ass flying around in is head.

Rain Man
03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Williams should do it. If Bill's 'roid supply has been cut off like we hear, he probably weighs about 160 now.

jettio
03-23-2005, 12:51 AM
Eddie Freeman, 'Bama-azz :$2500: John Tait, Mormon = Left Tackle Franchise Player Money

Romo, Fair-Complexioned 'Roid Sponge :$2500: Marcus Williams, Ordinary Black Guy = Chump Change

I thought that after the Robert Blake verdict that the white folks would stop trying to get revengence for OJ.

stumppy
03-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Eddie Freeman, 'Bama-azz :$2500: John Tait, Mormon = Left Tackle Franchise Player Money

Romo, Fair-Complexioned 'Roid Sponge :$2500: Marcus Williams, Ordinary Black Guy = Chump Change

I thought that after the Robert Blake verdict that the white folks would stop trying to get revengence for OJ.

:spock:

Not sure if my sarcasm/joke meter is working right. You are joking aren't you ?

TheNextStep
03-23-2005, 01:07 AM
So he didn't actually lose at all. Jury's can award millions for potential lost wages, pain and suffering in horrible cases but this one gets $340k? That's sad. Romo ended the dude's football career.
Romanowski didn't end the dude's football career. Williams was on special teams only the year before and wasn't particularly remarkable at that. If I recall correctly, the fight happened two days before the NFL mandates that teams trim their roster to a set amount of players. If Romanowski ended the guy's career, he only did it by that much.

Wallcrawler
03-23-2005, 03:29 AM
ROFL I thought you wanted some D, a little intensity and someone that wanted to hit somebody. :shrug:

Uh....hm.

Tackle people, yeah, but usually for the opposing team. Not ripping off a teammate's helmet and caving his head in.

Intensity, yes. Roid Rage, no.

I honestly cant figure out how this jackass has any fans whatsoever. Cheap shots, assault, spitting in player's faces on the field, steroid use.....who actually likes a player like that?

|Zach|
03-23-2005, 03:35 AM
Wish Romanowski would have played for us, he guy was an athlete.
Seems to me Tony G. made Romo his little bitch game after game back in the day. :hmmm:

teedubya
03-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Romo's a homo.

penchief
03-23-2005, 05:56 AM
"Romanowski loses and has to pay #340, 000"

Yeah, but what's the conversion rate?

Abba-Dabba
03-23-2005, 06:03 AM
Yeah, but what's the conversion rate?

Man, do I ever wish I would have bought some Euro's and Pound's back in 2000. IIRC the Euro was at .80 in 2000, compared to 1.30 now. The Pound around 1.40 in 2000, now around 1.90. Of course, that is not taking into consideration the fees invovled with the transactions.

Amnorix
03-23-2005, 07:00 AM
$340K is too light. Way too little.

Mike Grose
03-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Glad to see that Romo was made to pay at least some.

The attorney was making light of the verdict, saying that they would have settled this at any time for that amount. I'mglad it went to court, though, but then Romo can't pay his way out of it without any admission of fault. I think the fault determination is almost as important as the payout.

I'd rather have seen him have to pay 2-3 years worth of NFL minimum as opposed to the 1 year that was assessed, but I wasn't sitting on the jury. I'm sure there was considerable testimony given as to Williams' likely tenure in the NFL.