PDA

View Full Version : Boston.com - Pats offer Law 4yrs 26million

dirk digler
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Just a rumor...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2005/03/23/a_dubious_theory_on_law/

A dubious theory on Law

By Ron Borges, Globe Staff | March 23, 2005

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- According to a report on CBS SportsLine, the Poston brothers have told NFL teams they have a standing offer of four years and $26 million for Ty Law to return to New England next season, but sources within the Patriot organization flatly deny that.
ADVERTISEMENT

It would be highly unusual for an NFL team to make such an offer and then leave it on the table while a player's agents traipsed around the country using it as leverage. The Chiefs are among several teams interested in the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback but they are not willing to meet the Postons' demand for $16 million in guaranteed money for a 31-year-old player coming off foot surgery.

Law is believed to have visited with the Chiefs, Steelers, and Ravens; he initiated the Pittsburgh visit by calling and asking to come by while he was in a nearby suburb, visiting his mother. Law was twice in the Steelers' complex a week ago and allowed the team's medical staff to examine the foot he broke (against Pittsburgh) six weeks into last season.

regald
03-23-2005, 12:42 PM
This a rumor designed for bidders to up their offer. Agents create false competition in Free Agency, much like Drew Rosenhaus attempted to speculate competition for Edge when he originally sought a long term agreement.

"There is little value in Free Agency. Free Agency is the second season, a feeding frenzy with false competition orchestrated by the agents. It's just teams reacting to names. It has nothing to do with competency or talent. Players are Free Agents for a reason. This is not to say that if the right free agent comes around with the right price, we won't take a look"

-Summed up statement by Bill Polian

Calcountry
03-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Just a rumor...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2005/03/23/a_dubious_theory_on_law/

A dubious theory on Law

By Ron Borges, Globe Staff | March 23, 2005

KAPALUA, Hawaii -- According to a report on CBS SportsLine, the Poston brothers have told NFL teams they have a standing offer of four years and $26 million for Ty Law to return to New England next season, but sources within the Patriot organization flatly deny that.
ADVERTISEMENT

It would be highly unusual for an NFL team to make such an offer and then leave it on the table while a player's agents traipsed around the country using it as leverage. The Chiefs are among several teams interested in the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback but they are not willing to meet the Postons' demand for $16 million in guaranteed money for a 31-year-old player coming off foot surgery.

Law is believed to have visited with the Chiefs, Steelers, and Ravens; he initiated the Pittsburgh visit by calling and asking to come by while he was in a nearby suburb, visiting his mother. Law was twice in the Steelers' complex a week ago and allowed the team's medical staff to examine the foot he broke (against Pittsburgh) six weeks into last season.What a great way to pick up FA CB's, break their feet.

:p

alpha_omega
03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Just more reasoning to pull the trigger on Surtain!!!!!

Archie Bunker
03-23-2005, 12:53 PM
I am going to go ahead and call BS on this. This would be the most unPatriots thing for the Patriots to do. This is 100% Poston.

keg in kc
03-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, right.

bricks
03-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I am going to go ahead and call BS on this. This would be the most unPatriots thing for the Patriots to do. This is 100% Poston.

Yeah..I can't even think why New England would cut him, then re-sign him. that doesn't make any sense at all.

C-Mac
03-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, right.

ROFL Great pic!

keg in kc
03-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Great pic!I wish I could take credit for it, but I found it surfing the next last week. I love it, though. :D

dirk digler
03-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Don't kill the messenger. I did say it was just a rumor.

Predarat
03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Its not Bullsh!t untill KFFL reports it as imminent.

dtebbe
03-23-2005, 07:51 PM
:BS:

beer bacon
03-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Does anyone have the article where the Pats deny ever offering him that deal?