PDA

View Full Version : CBS, Fox may split NFL Sunday nights in 2006

Herzig
03-23-2005, 05:04 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=678&e=55&u=/usatoday/20050323/sp_usatoday/cbsfoxmaysplitnflsundaynightsin2006

CBS, Fox may split NFL Sunday nights in 2006

Wed Mar 23, 6:14 AM ET

Add to My Yahoo! Sports - USATODAY.com

By Rudy Martzke, USA TODAY

If Monday Night Football moves to ESPN from ABC in the new NFL TV contracts starting in 2006, the league is considering splitting the Sunday night package between CBS and Fox, according to two sports TV executives, one of whom is involved in the negotiations.

CBS would get the first half of the season and Fox the second half, after its Major League Baseball playoff coverage is done, the executives said Tuesday. The networks would pay about a combined $600 million a year for the package, the same amount ESPN is paying now. CBS would pay slightly less than Fox because ratings are higher later in the season.

Officials of CBS and Fox declined comment. At the league's annual meetings in Hawaii, NFL senior vice president Joe Browne said, "We're a little remote here, but those rumors have not reached the 50th state yet."

As for Monday Night Football, Denver Broncos (news) owner Pat Bowlen, chairman of the TV committee, said Sunday, "The reason why we're looking to move Monday Night Football (from ABC) is that there are feelings that we'll still be able to reach the audience. The world has changed since 1970." ABC vice president Mark Mandel said negotiations are ongoing for ESPN and ABC, both of which are owned by the Disney Co.

Herzig
03-23-2005, 05:13 PM
I wonder how much Monday Night Football will change with ESPN running the show? Maybe not too much with both stations owned by the same parent company.

FloridaMan88
03-23-2005, 05:51 PM
I wonder how much Monday Night Football will change with ESPN running the show? Maybe not too much with both stations owned by the same parent company.

The possibility of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul McGuire on Monday Night Football??

Cosell must be rolling in his grave :shake:

whoman69
03-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Another fall without the Simpsons. No way.

ChiefsCountry
03-23-2005, 06:34 PM
The possibility of Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul McGuire on Monday Night Football??

Cosell must be rolling in his grave :shake:

Thats better than John Madden. Al Michaels is good but Madden sucks.

Herzig
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM

I wonder IF both would move to ESPN to do MNF...

Dayze
03-23-2005, 08:12 PM

Madden blows - and so do most MFN matchups.

Rams, Eagles, Patriots, Ravens, Skins, Donkeys, Colts...

lame..

I'm finding it harder to justify staying up to watch these games; found myself turning off after the 1st Qtr.

philfree
03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
They need to be careful jacking around with an institution like MNF. In their attempt to keep the NFL jackpot growing I hope they don't **** it up to badly. **** it up to badly........

PhilFree:arrow:

stumppy
03-23-2005, 10:57 PM
They need to be careful jacking around with an institution like MNF. In their attempt to keep the NFL jackpot growing I hope they don't **** it up to badly. **** it up to badly........

PhilFree:arrow:

I agree. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they really started screwing with it and just ruined MNF as we all know it.

keg in kc
03-23-2005, 11:03 PM
I agree. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they really started screwing with it and just ruined MNF as we all know it.Yeah, it's just been terrific the last 5 or 6 years. They've really raised the bar. It'd be a travesty to mess with a good thing like that.

Nzoner
03-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Aw hell there's goes pullin in MNF from my local ABC affiliate on the rabbit ears.

Skip Towne
03-23-2005, 11:27 PM
I realize that some of the more vocal members of this board don't like Madden but last I checked he had done wonders for the ratings of MNF. I wouldn't look for any radical changes regardless of who owns the rights.

J Diddy
03-23-2005, 11:31 PM
I realize that some of the more vocal members of this board don't like Madden but last I checked he had done wonders for the ratings of MNF. I wouldn't look for any radical changes regardless of who owns the rights.

I learned a long time ago on how to enjoy a madden announced football game...

First get beer, second bbq something, and finally hit the mute button.

Nzoner
03-23-2005, 11:33 PM
I realize that some of the more vocal members of this board don't like Madden but last I checked he had done wonders for the ratings of MNF.

It's the horse trailer,the suspense sometimes is just too much.

J Diddy
03-23-2005, 11:36 PM
It's the horse trailer,the suspense sometimes is just too much.

I truly believe that the horse trailer is the dumbest freaking idea I have ever heard.

Frazod
03-23-2005, 11:38 PM

I hate Madden, but my biggest problem with MNF is the start time. They should start the games at 7:00.

Beyond that, the circus it has become is really annoying. I just want to see the game. I don't care about the rest of the crap.

J Diddy
03-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I hate Madden, but my biggest problem with MNF is the start time. They should start the games at 7:00.

Beyond that, the circus it has become is really annoying. I just want to see the game. I don't care about the rest of the crap.

I usually don't watch it, except when the Chiefs are playing.

However, I don't watch a game to listen to the announcers, If it's a game that sounds good I'm there.

Frazod
03-23-2005, 11:44 PM

However, I don't watch a game to listen to the announcers, If it's a game that sounds good I'm there.

When the Chiefs are on MNF, I use the TiVo to match the internet radio feed. Up with Lenny, to hell with Madden. It gets a bit annoying on the game thread, but not having to listen to that ex-Raider babbling douche is worth it.

Nzoner
03-23-2005, 11:48 PM

I can't remember the last time I missed MNF,personally I don't care who's playing,it's NFL football and if the Chiefs aren't on I'll find a reason be it fantasy football or a bet.As far as the announcers I thought I'd try muting Madden and watching while listening to the radio call but the last time I tried that Boomer Eisiason was on the radio. :banghead:

Frazod
03-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I can't remember the last time I missed MNF,personally I don't care who's playing,it's NFL football and if the Chiefs aren't on I'll find a reason be it fantasy football or a bet.As far as the announcers I thought I'd try muting Madden and watching while listening to the radio call but the last time I tried that Boomer Eisiason was on the radio. :banghead:

I'll take Norman over Madden any day.

BIG_DADDY
03-23-2005, 11:51 PM
They should both get a game that way we can choose the one worth watching.

J Diddy
03-23-2005, 11:54 PM

Madden JR.

BigRedChief
03-24-2005, 08:23 AM

I thought Madden was on the downhill slope and falling fast but after this MNF game when he showed us all the Ray Ray video of him proclaming there are two of them on me the whole time and then cutting to the clips of the single blocker. Man that was priceless. ROFL He gets another year just from that footage from me.