View Full Version : Expansion brewing

redbrian
03-24-2005, 08:57 AM
Additions will allow Boulevard to make 600,000 barrels a year

By KEVIN COLLISON

The Kansas City Star
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/11213528.htm

http://www.blvdbeer.com/

“What makes me feel good is that the big beer industry is busy chasing alternative alcoholic beverages, almost leaving the real beer category, especially the more flavorful beers. … We're so small in this business, but we're looked upon as the guys who do the real thing.”

John McDonald, Boulevard's founder

Boulevard Brewing is starting work on a $20 million expansion needed to stay ahead of a bubbling growth curve that is expected to surge past 100,000 barrels this year.

It's sort of like buying a six-pack on a grand scale.

The expansion, which is expected to be completed next year, will put Boulevard in a position to produce 600,000 barrels annually — a six-fold increase. The company estimates its current plant at best could squeeze out 108,000 barrels, close to being unable to keep up with the projected demand.

“When this comes on line in 2006, we'll be right there,” said Jeff Krum, Boulevard chief financial officer.

The brewery, which opened in 1989, recently began selling beer in North Dakota, the eleventh Midwestern state to be added to its market. For the ninth consecutive year, it experienced 15- to 20-percent production growth.

Boulevard produced more than 89,000 barrels in 2004 at its plant at 2501 Southwestern Blvd. It brewed 1,747 barrels during its first full year of operation in 1990.

Company officials know who to thank for helping them succeed where so many microbreweries failed. The bulk of the invitations to the groundbreaking ceremony scheduled for today have gone to the wholesalers and distributors who push their Pale Ale, Unfiltered Wheat and other brands to liquor stores and taverns from Oklahoma City to Fargo, N.D.

John McDonald, Boulevard's founder, is confident that his company's investment will pay off, citing the continued growth of what is called the “craft beer” market. Smaller breweries such as Boulevard and New Belgium, the Colorado-based brewer of Fat Tire, have seen their market share grow to 7 percent last year after several years at 1- to 3 percent.

“What makes me feel good is that the big beer industry is busy chasing alternative alcoholic beverages, almost leaving the real beer category, especially the more flavorful beers,” McDonald said. “Ten years ago, they came at us like crazy.

“We're so small in this business, but we're looked upon as the guys who do the real thing.”

The 70,000-square-foot expansion will house a much larger, German-made brew house that consists of vats, a brew kettle and whirlpool, all of which will be visible through a glass facade on Belleview Avenue. The three-level building also will have a 150-person hospitality room with outdoor patio seating on the top floor.

A glass-enclosed walkway will link the new building to the existing plant. The expansion plan also includes the demolition of two one-story buildings at 2525 and 2527 Southwest Blvd., which will serve as the location for fermenting tanks. The project is eligible for Chapter 353 property tax abatements, 100 percent for the first 10 years and 50 percent for the next 15 years.

Later phases of the project call for the construction of 45,000-square-foot warehouse and installation of new bottling equipment. Boulevard sells beer only in kegs and bottles with an emphasis on tavern sales. About 60 percent of Boulevard is sold by the spigot versus 40 percent in bottles, compared with national beer statistics where only about 10 percent is sold in draft form.

In conjunction with the Boulevard expansion, DST Realty plans to build a deck above a surface parking lot across Belleview from the brewery to provide more employee parking. The $1.5 million project will create 84 additional spaces that will be leased by DST to Boulevard. The company has 62 employees and expects to expand to up to 150 should the plant reach full production.

Company officials said they were glad to remain in the neighborhood where Boulevard was founded, although they noted it probably would have been cheaper and less difficult to build a new facility in a suburban area. The expansion required obtaining city approvals for rezoning and re-platting, and obtaining a railroad right-of-way.

“We've had good cooperation and support from all the neighbors,” Krum said.

He estimated that about 25 percent of the brewery's workers live within two miles of the plant, and 50 percent live within four miles.

UMB Bank, which has had a long-standing relationship with Boulevard Brewery, is financing the expansion project. The architect is 360 Architecture, and Rau Construction Co. is the contractor.

Alton deFlat
03-24-2005, 09:00 AM
MMMMMMMMM, Beer!

redbrian
03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
MMMMMMMMM, Beer!

You know I can remember going over to theBrewery when John was first starting his botteling operation.

He had a ex Volvo mechanic working on the machine he had bought in Germany and they were having a problem getting the labels on straight and the proper amount of beer in the bottle.

You could get those bottles at a reduced price (basicly cost), if you knew John or in my case knew someone who knew John.

Used to pick up a few cases of those and then stop over at Aurther's for a bbq sandwich, then head out to a Royals game. Not a bad way to spend the day.

Alton deFlat
03-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Used to pick up a few cases of those and then stop over at Aurther's for a bbq sandwich, then head out to a Royals game. Not a bad way to spend the day.

Doesn't get much better than that. I can remember goiing to one baseball game at the old Municipal Stadium, when I was a little kid. I wish I had been old enough to experience going to Bryants, and then walking down to the stadium to take in a game.

shaneo69
03-24-2005, 09:47 AM
I'm glad they're expanding. I had a hard time finding Irish Ale in St. Louis grocery stores this past month, and I never could find a 12 pack of it. And the bar I went to for St. Pat's didn't have it on draft this year as they did last year----what a bummer. :harumph:

I used to drink nothing but Bud Light and Coors Light, but I can't even drink that stuff any more after getting used to Pale Ale, Unfiltered Wheat, Killian's, and Mich Amber Bock.

CosmicPal
03-24-2005, 12:05 PM
The day I am able to get Boulevard Wheat beer in a Denver liquor store will go down as one of the bestest days of my life.

I would throw a freakin parade filled with balloons and confetti and marching bands if Boulevard would expand to Colorado.

If I had one, I'd let any of you losers do whatever you wish with my daughter if they were to start selling beer here in Colorado.

redbrian
03-24-2005, 12:23 PM
The day I am able to get Boulevard Wheat beer in a Denver liquor store will go down as one of the bestest days of my life.

I would throw a freakin parade filled with balloons and confetti and marching bands if Boulevard would expand to Colorado.

If I had one, I'd let any of you losers do whatever you wish with my daughter if they were to start selling beer here in Colorado.

I have a feeling that it's only a few years away.

Saulbadguy
03-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Nice.

StcChief
03-24-2005, 12:30 PM
I'm glad they're expanding. I had a hard time finding Irish Ale in St. Louis grocery stores this past month, and I never could find a 12 pack of it. And the bar I went to for St. Pat's didn't have it on draft this year as they did last year----what a bummer. :harumph:

I used to drink nothing but Bud Light and Coors Light, but I can't even drink that stuff any more after getting used to Pale Ale, Unfiltered Wheat, Killian's, and Mich Amber Bock.

what he said. Bud/Budlight give me a headache. The Irish Ale was know where to be found.

The Guiness Smithwyck's Ale was a nice change for St.Pats.

Good for Blvd.

the Talking Can
03-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Boulevard makes domestic beer swill cry.

Phobia
03-24-2005, 02:39 PM

There's a lot better wheat beers brewed in your area. You should drink them. In fact, you should visit their breweries and pickup a gallon at a time fresh as you can possibly get the stuff. I'd do that once a day for $6.

CosmicPal
03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
There's a lot better wheat beers brewed in your area. You should drink them. In fact, you should visit their breweries and pickup a gallon at a time fresh as you can possibly get the stuff. I'd do that once a day for $6.

I disagree. The closest thing to a tasty Boulevard Wheat beer is the Fat Tire Sunshine Wheat beer- and even that is not a close second.

I've tried a lot of wheat beers, but Boulevard Wheat is hands-down the best wheat beer on the market. If you have a few you think are better, I'll be more than happy to give them a try, if of course, I haven't already.

shaneo69
03-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I don't know if you guys have had any of the Schlafly beers brewed in St. Louis. Not bad, but Boulevard blows them away IMO. However, Schlafly has been able to make a buttload of money off the vast non-
Schlafly drinkers in St. Louis (mostly women) by opening a cool bar down in the city, and by building a new, bigger brewery just outside the city limits and turning it into an entertainment district of its own, with a restaurant, outdoor beer garden with live bands, and brewery tours. I think it would be cool if Boulevard could do something similar.

http://www.schlafly.com/brewpubs.shtml

Phobia
03-24-2005, 05:10 PM
I disagree. The closest thing to a tasty Boulevard Wheat beer is the Fat Tire Sunshine Wheat beer- and even that is not a close second.

I've tried a lot of wheat beers, but Boulevard Wheat is hands-down the best wheat beer on the market. If you have a few you think are better, I'll be more than happy to give them a try, if of course, I haven't already.

Believe it or not, I like Blue Moon better. I also like Sunshine.... I dunno - there's a ton of wheats out there on the market.

grandllama
03-24-2005, 05:49 PM

I agree with Cosmic on this one too Phil... I've tried every wheat I can get my hands on wherever I lived and I always come back to Sunshine and Blvd.

Phobia
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I'll defer to those who make wheat their regular beverage of choice. I lean towards the ambers and browns, so I'm an infrequent Wheat drinker. I'm not saying Blvd wheat is pisswater. I like it. I drink it. I've recommended it and converted a bunch of people. I just don't see that it's anything special other than to KC natives.

CosmicPal
03-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I just don't see that it's anything special other than to KC natives.

That's because, until now- nobody outside of KC was able to get it.

I'm not crazy about wheat beer- as I prefer the dark ales, the ambers, and browns myself. But, that Boulevard Wheat beer- now that I only get to taste it once or twice a year- it some mighty tasty stuff.

Phobia
03-24-2005, 06:21 PM
That's because, until now- nobody outside of KC was able to get it.

I'm not crazy about wheat beer- as I prefer the dark ales, the ambers, and browns myself. But, that Boulevard Wheat beer- now that I only get to taste it once or twice a year- it some mighty tasty stuff.
I've experienced that several times.... with Blvd Wheat prior to moving here and with Fat Tire when I used to travel to/through Denver on business.

BigOlChiefsfan
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Hooorah. Enjoying real beer + good eats is still one of the best reasons for waking up every morning.

FWIW, I never see the Blvd seasonal brews sold in a 12 pack. 6 packs for everything but Pale Ale and Wheat. Buy 2, they're small.

Delano
03-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Hooorah. Enjoying real beer + good eats is still one of the best reasons for waking up every morning.

FWIW, I never see the Blvd seasonal brews sold in a 12 pack. 6 packs for everything but Pale Ale and Wheat. Buy 2, they're small.

Most stores up here in South Dakota have the standard unfiltered Wheat and the Pale Ale. A few places have the Bully! Porter and the Stout. I've only seen a seasonal brew one time and I didn't pick it up. I really hope Boulevard sends some of that stuff up here soon.