03-24-2005, 04:53 PM
http://videogame.channel.aol.com/features/pspcentral

Also the specs...

Sony PSP (PlayStation Portable) Specifications and Details
From Roger Altizer,
Your Guide to PlayStation Games.
FREE GIFT with Newsletter! Act Now!

Sony's PSP Brings the Power of the PlayStation 2 to the Palm of Your Hand
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. has announced the product specifications for the handheld video game system, PlayStation Portable (PSP), three-dimensional-CG games incorporating high-quality, full-motion video similar to PlayStation 2 can be played anytime, anywhere with PSP. PSP is scheduled to be launched in Japan in the end of 2004, followed by the North American and European launches in the spring of 2005.
PSP comes in a black color, with a 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD centered in a sleek ergonomic design with a high-quality finish that fits comfortably in the hands. The dimensions are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm with a weight of 260g. PSP features a high-quality TFT LCD that displays full color (16.77 million colors) on a 480 x 272 pixel high-resolution screen. It also comes complete with the basic functions of a portable player such as built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector, brightness control and sound mode selection.

Sponsored Links
Free PSP
Get a PSP handheld for Free! Claim Now for Free Shipping.
www.InternetOpinionGroup.com

Get a PSP for Free
Fast and Easy. Why pay? Guaranteed & Free Shipping.
www.TrialClix.com

Play station Portable
Get a Free PSP Get a Free PSP
sonypsp.peel.net
Keys and controls inherit the same operability of PlayStation and PlayStation 2, familiar to fans all over the world.
PSP also comes equipped with diverse input/output connectors such as USB 2.0, and 802.11b (Wi-Fi) wireless LAN, providing connectivity to various devices in the home and to the wireless network outside. The world of gaming is further enhanced by enabling users to enjoy online gaming, or by connecting multiple PSPs to each other, directly via the wireless network. In addition, software and data can be downloaded through a USB or wireless network onto Memory Stick PRO Duo. All of these features can be enjoyed on one single system.

PSP adopts a small but high-capacity optical medium UMD (Universal Media Disc), enabling game software, rich with full-motion video and other forms of digital entertainment content, to be stored. The newly developed UMD, the next-generation compact storage media, is only 60mm in diameter but can store up to 1.8GB of digital data. A broad range of digital entertainment content such as music video clips, movies and sports programs can be provided on UMD. To protect this entertainment content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit.

SCEI intends to aggressively promote PSP and UMD as the new handheld entertainment platform for the coming era.

PSP Product Specifications

Product Name: PlayStation Portable (PSP)
Color: Black
Dimensions: Approx. 170 mm (L) x 74 mm (W) x 23 mm (D)
Weight: Approx. 260 g (including battery)
CPU: PSP CPU (System clock frequency 1~333MHz)
Main Memory: 32MB
Embedded DRAM: 4MB
Display: 4.3 inch, 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD, 480 x 272 pixel (16.77 million colors), Max. 200 cd/m2 (with brightness control)
Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers
Main Input/Output: IEEE 802.11b (Wi-Fi), USB 2.0 (Target), Memory Stick™ PRO Duo, IrDA, IR Remote (SIRCS)
Disc Drive: UMD Drive (Playback only)
Profile: PSP Game, UMD Audio, UMD Video
Main Connectors: DC OUT 5V, Terminals for charging built-in battery, Headphone/Microphone/Control connector
Keys/Switches: Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)Analog pad, Enter keys (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), Left, Right keys START, SELECT, HOME, POWER On/Hold/Off switch, Brightness control, Sound Mode, Volume +/-, Wireless LAN On/Off switch, UMD Eject
Power: Built-in lithium-ion battery, AC adaptor
Access Control: Region Code, Parental Control
Accessories: Stand, Headphone with remote commander, Headphone with remote commander and microphone, External battery pack, Case, Strap
E3 Prototype Exhibition: USB Camera for PSP, USB GPS for PSP, USB Keyboard for PSP
UMD Specifications

Dimensions: Approx. 65 mm (W) x 64 mm (D) x 4.2 mm (H)
Weight: Approx. 10g
Disc Diameter: 60 mm
Maximum Capacity: 1.8GB (Single-sided, dual layer)
Laser wavelength: 660nm (Red laser)
Encryption: AES 128bit
Profile: PSP Game (full function), UMD Audio (codec ATRAC3plus™, PCM, (MPEG4 AVC)), UMD Video (codec MPEG4 AVC, ATRAC3plus™, Caption PNG)

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Looks pretty sweet.

Pants
03-24-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm not digging the price. I probably wouldn't even buy one if it was $100, though. The last time I had a gameboy type thing was - oh yeah, never.

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Looks pretty sweet to me. The price is a little high, but it looks like they took hand-held gaming to a new level. Wi-Fi capability,Ability to watch movies, listen to tunes and play games sounds pretty cool to me. Stereo quality sound, HD graphics, I'm sold.

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Looks pretty sweet to me. The price is a little high, but it looks like they took hand-held gaming to a new level. Wi-Fi capability,Ability to watch movies, listen to tunes and play games sounds pretty cool to me. Stereo quality sound, HD graphics, I'm sold.

I kind of doubt that many movies will be released here in the USA using this format. I don't understand why Nintendo and Sony insist on charging 30-50 bucks for games on handheld systems when they suck ass compared to the platforms. It's just something to do when you travel.. wtf charge so much?

I do think that the wireless tech in these things is kind of creative however.

I think I'll hold out on Sony platforms/handhelds until the next-gen playstation with that "cell" chip or whatever..

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I kind of doubt that many movies will be released here in the USA using this format. I don't understand why Nintendo and Sony insist on charging 30-50 bucks for games on handheld systems when they suck ass compared to the platforms. It's just something to do when you travel.. wtf charge so much?

I do think that the wireless tech in these things is kind of creative however.

I think I'll hold out on Sony platforms/handhelds until the next-gen playstation with that "cell" chip or whatever..
You can also burn movies to the memory stick. I've heard there are free programs to do this with. Also on the UMD movies-

Sony Announces PSP Movies (PSP)
Sony to release UMD format movies for the PSP.
By Eduardo Vasconcellos | Feb. 15, 2005

Advertisement
Sony announced that it will be releasing four movies compatible with the PlayStation Portable shortly after the launch of the new system.

The PSP's appeal to the customer is that it will serve as a portable gaming, movie and music unit. Sony seeks to expand its audience further than young men to people like who are always on the move.

Sony has previously announced that copies of the film Spider-Man 2 will be included with the first million units of the PSP sold in America.

The four movies to be released are XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse and Once Upon a Time in Mexico and will be released April 19.

I think they are testing the market to see how well it does first.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 05:44 PM
Not to totally whore out Chiefsplanet, but if you want to try your hand at a free one, Gratis (the FreeiPods.com people) are doing another give away. Here's my referral link:

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=15405918

So far, I've gotten a free iPod mini, a free iPod shuffle, and a free Mac mini (swear to god, I'll post photos if you don't believe me) from these guys. It takes some work, but if you complete the things, you WILL get your products. It's legit, and if you don't click the checkboxes when you sign up, you won't even get any additional spam.

Pants
03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Not to totally whore out Chiefsplanet, but if you want to try your hand at a free one, Gratis (the FreeiPods.com people) are doing another give away. Here's my referral link:

http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=15405918

So far, I've gotten a free iPod mini, a free iPod shuffle, and a free Mac mini (swear to god, I'll post photos if you don't believe me) from these guys. It takes some work, but if you complete the things, you WILL get your products. It's legit, and if you don't click the checkboxes when you sign up, you won't even get any additional spam.

I tired that once and it seemed like you HAD to spend money on something to get a free iPod. Like you couldn't just sign up for a service and then cancel it, you had to spend an X amount of money/time being a member, for example.

ceebz
03-24-2005, 05:51 PM
$250 for a handheld gaming device? I'll pass...

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
That memory stick thing would be sweet if you could use it in more things than Sony products. I've heard that Sony plans to open the Memory stick technology to other companies for use, but that doesn't help me with my Compact Flash phone and laptop.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
I tired that once and it seemed like you HAD to spend money on something to get a free iPod. Like you couldn't just sign up for a service and then cancel it, you had to spend an X amount of money/time being a member, for example.

You have to do an "online offer." They available online offers change all the time. Most of them are trials of some service or credit card apps. Once in a while they'll have totally free trials (like I did an AOL trial once), but usually the trials are not totally free (for example, I did blockbuuster online for $9.95 for a month for the Mac mini...turned out I LOVE blockbuster online, so I kept it). I'm not sure what they've got going right now. Usually you can find one that costs less than $5. But you're right, most of them are not totally free (just cheap) -- and you usually CAN cancel them after the trial period at no additional cost. Another good one I did that they still have, I think, is the "CompleteHome" offer. It's like $3 for a rial to CompleteHome, which you can cancel, and you get a $20 gift certificate to Lowe's for trying it.

KCWolfman
03-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Hosannah!!! $250.00??

And how many idiots will spend that much money on one while complaining they can't afford health insurance?

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 05:55 PM
That memory stick thing would be sweet if you could use it in more things than Sony products. I've heard that Sony plans to open the Memory stick technology to other companies for use, but that doesn't help me with my Compact Flash phone and laptop.
I think they will be opening it up for other companies products, but you can definitely use the memory cards now with other Sony products.

Here's s a tidbit on Wi-Fi on the PSP so I don't use another post about it...

March 9, 2005 - Why, of course it's online.

Of course. A system the size of last year's cellphones, that somehow puts out PS2-quality graphics and sound, with the brightest screen we've ever seen outside of the IGN demo room, and WiFi multiplayer for as many as 16 players ... naturally, there is also, on top of all of this unimaginable technology, the ability to game on the internet.

Yes, of course...

It's not that it's unthinkable in this day and age, but many are still trying to wrap their heads around the idea that Sony's little PSP will include full-featured online play in certain titles. More inconceivable, that there are a number of games due out at launch that include the feature set. But on March 24th, gamers will see for themselves that it actually is possible and very imaginable -- once you get into a PSP Infrastructure-mode game (the WiFi term for "online"), it all feels as normal as playing a console game online. We haven't actually had a chance to play a PSP game online yet to see how performance works over WiFi games, but the PSP versions of several SCEA titles here at GDC featured their online components as selectable modes on the menu.

Essentially, it works as it does on the PS2, and with nearly the same feature sets. The first step to getting online with PSP games is to set up a networked game. This is a global feature, much like how setting your PS2 at home for AOL or your cable modem just once is carried over to other PSP games. Instead of setting up a modem, however, here you will be setting up a connection. You can create one of a number of network settings (very handy considering that PSPers will be traveling from home to the coffee shop to the library and home again). Each connection stores your SSID settings, and can be configured to save WEP-encryped passwords. The mode can also scan the neighborhood for available WiFi HotSpots, and gives you a read-out of whether they are open or have WEP locks.

Set that up, and you are ready to connect and/or play online. We played with the network settings in two of the three online-enabled games (Twisted Metal: Head-On and ATV Off-Road Fury, with 989's NBA also due to include the Infrastructure mode.) Both games had separate modes for online, and neither required you to hop out to the global PSP menu to turn on Infrastructure mode (interestingly enough, the Network Set-Up was also handled right there in the game, unlike on PS2 where it has to load the other mode.)

Twisted Metal: H-O allowed you to set up either a Net game (basic kill'em all) or a Team game once you start to host your game. There was also an unexpected 2-player Co-Op story mode on the multiplayer menu (though we're not entirely sure this is online-enabled), which should be an interesting way to run through the unlockables, bringing a buddy in tow. The game's multiplayer modes featured Ad-Hoc (for local play of all your friends around, for up to six players), Infrastructure (which is the online mode -- we belive that this only supports 4 players, but were not able to see this in person), and Infrastructure LAN (which seems to be an excess frill, but may be a cool way of linking an office or a house full of Twisted players to connect up with each other instead of going through the dregs online. We weren't able to see the depth of the buddy list features, but we did notice that you can set up a password for private online play of your friends.

ATV Off-Road Fury had many of the same modes, plus one cool extra mode. Instead of connecting up to the game player lobby, the wireless mode menu for ATV included Ad-Hoc, Online, and Online Community. This online mode connects to the ATV web community outlet, allowing players to check scores, add friends to their ATV buddy list, chat, and much more. Chat was a feature shared by Twisted Metal -- when you want to talk with somebody, you pop up the chat menu, which includes the same PSP on-screen keyboard (something like a phone keyboard, navigated with the D-Pad or analog nub) as is used to set up your system name. This being a global feature for all PSP games, we're wondering if USB keyboard support or other types of chat input might either be part of the PSP online mode or else addable with a later PSP upgrade. We asked Logitech their plans for a PSP keyboard or microphone, and while they still have a number of projects under wraps, we got the feeling that they were caught unaware by how aggressive SCEA has been with online features this early on, and are still working to get together solutions for this Infrastructure mode. Another third party producer has already announced a USB keyboard for PSP in Europe, but it is unknown whether this keyboard will be supported for chat in the online games so far for PSP. In the meantime, Sony has been quiet about mic support for PSP since its initially-announced plans at E3 last year.

Online play for is starting small, with just six titles and a focus more on local wireless play, but the feature set already looks robust and complete. A few accessories, and it could be as deep as anything you play online with a console. We will have full gameplay impressions of online titles as the online servers are opened up for us to play, and we'll see you in the games when Twisted Metal: Head-On, ATV Off-Road Fury, NBA, Gretzky NHL and MLB release in just 15 days.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 05:56 PM
$250 for a handheld gaming device? I'll pass...

Fair enough, but it's a bit more than a handheld gaming device. It's more like a handheld DVD player, iPod, gameboy, and web browser all wrapped up in one. You can't buy most of those alone for $250. :)

It may not be for you, but the thing IS pretty sweet and seems to be priced to sell.

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:57 PM
You have to do an "online offer." They available online offers change all the time. Most of them are trials of some service or credit card apps. Once in a while they'll have totally free trials (like I did an AOL trial once), but usually the trials are not totally free (for example, I did blockbuuster online for $9.95 for a month for the Mac mini...turned out I LOVE blockbuster online, so I kept it). I'm not sure what they've got going right now. Usually you can find one that costs less than $5. But you're right, most of them are not totally free (just cheap) -- and you usually CAN cancel them after the trial period at no additional cost. Another good one I did that they still have, I think, is the "CompleteHome" offer. It's like $3 for a rial to CompleteHome, which you can cancel, and you get a $20 gift certificate to Lowe's for trying it.

You like Blockbuster online huh? I tried that service after being a Netflix member for over a year. The only thing they did better was offer a few free rentals in store each month. The negative about Blockbuster was that their envelopes were poorly designed. A lot of times the cover with my address would get tore off in the mail and it would result in the disc being sent back to blockbuster without me receiving it.

KCWolfman
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Fair enough, but it's a bit more than a handheld gaming device. It's more like a handheld DVD player, iPod, gameboy, and web browser all wrapped up in one. You can't buy most of those alone for $250. :)

It may not be for you, but the thing IS pretty sweet and seems to be priced to sell.
I bet it will be under 150.00 by summer next year.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 05:59 PM
You like Blockbuster online huh? I tried that service after being a Netflix member for over a year. The only thing they did better was offer a few free rentals in store each month. The negative about Blockbuster was that their envelopes were poorly designed. A lot of times the cover with my address would get tore off in the mail and it would result in the disc being sent back to blockbuster without me receiving it.

I haven't had that problem at all. That would certainly such, though. I'd probably have gone with Netflix, myself, but the blockbuster one got me a Mac mini and I liked it well enough, so I kept it. Now that blockbuster is offering all-you-can-watch in stores and online, I can't see how Netflix can compete (sad, because I always like to support the innovators in the market when I can).

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:59 PM

I might buy one if it played DVDs and had the same great qualities of an ipod.. Oh yeah, if the good games were cheaper than 39.99-49.99, that would be a plus as well.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I bet it will be under 150.00 by summer next year.

Yeah, and I bet next summer will be called "Summer, 2006," too.

Of course it will be -- that's how all electronics go. That doesn't negate the fact that it's priced competitively NOW, though.

ceebz
03-24-2005, 06:01 PM

The $250 package comes with a 32mb memory stick. How much music do you plan to store on it?

Also, who's really gonna watch movies on this thing? certainly not the people who have $250 to blow on it.

Sony should've just stuck with a gaming-only device, and left out the gimmicky add-ons. Then maybe the pricing would be more reasonable.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I might buy one if it played DVDs and had the same great qualities of an ipod.. Oh yeah, if the good games were cheaper than 39.99-49.99, that would be a plus as well.

Well, I wouldn't buy one myself -- I'm not that big of a gamer and I've already got three iPods. :)

But, it's hard to deny that the tech is pretty neat and if I were a gamer, I'd want one. And, if I can get one for free, I'll take it. :)

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:03 PM
The $250 package comes with a 32mb memory stick. How much music do you plan to store on it?

Also, who's really gonna watch movies on this thing? certainly not the people who have $250 to blow on it.

Sony should've just stuck with a gaming-only device, and left out the gimmicky add-ons. Then maybe the pricing would be more reasonable.

Fair enough -- sounds like it's not for you (or me, for that matter). But surely you don't think they're not going to FLY off the shelves at that price, right? They're going to sell like hotcakes, just like every Playstation before it did. They'd sell like hotcakes at $500.

ceebz
Plus, battery life on the PSP is rated at 3-4 hours. http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

Delano
I haven't had that problem at all. That would certainly such, though. I'd probably have gone with Netflix, myself, but the blockbuster one got me a Mac mini and I liked it well enough, so I kept it. Now that blockbuster is offering all-you-can-watch in stores and online, I can't see how Netflix can compete (sad, because I always like to support the innovators in the market when I can).

I think Netflix has around 3 million customers so I think they will be able to turn profits for a while and stay competitive.

I checked blockbuster.com and didn't see an all you can watch in store and online.. It was either or.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:04 PM
I think Netflix has around 3 million customers so I think they will be able to turn profits for a while and stay competitive.

I checked blockbuster.com and didn't see an all you can watch in store and online.. It was either or.

I think it officially start next month. They've been advertising it on TV as "coming soon."

ceebz
03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Fair enough -- sounds like it's not for you (or me, for that matter). But surely you don't think they're not going to FLY off the shelves at that price, right? They're going to sell like hotcakes, just like every Playstation before it did. They'd sell like hotcakes at $500.

Actually,everything I've read says the launch hasn't been all that great.

Of course, these are just preliminary reports but, I think the $250 price tag will keep a lot of people from buying one.

Delano
03-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I think it officially start next month. They've been advertising it on TV as "coming soon."

What exactly was advertised? Something like a combination of three movies at a time either online or at the store? That would be hard to keep track of..

I've used the online option and have heard about the movie pass, which is 1 in-store rental at a time for 14.99 a month. If they thought of a way to combine the two in a logical manner, they may pry me away from my beloved NetFlix.

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:14 PM
What exactly was advertised? Something like a combination of three movies at a time either online or at the store? That would be hard to keep track of..

I've used the online option and have heard about the movie pass, which is 1 in-store rental at a time for 14.99 a month. If they thought of a way to combine the two in a logical manner, they may pry me away from my beloved NetFlix.

What's coming soon is three online out at a time, one in-store out at a time, keep either as long as you like.

What you are talking about is what they have now, expect for you get two in-store rentals, not one -- but the in-store rentals currently have a time limit, I think, for you to return them (don't know for sure, never used the in-store rentals)...

ZootedGranny
03-24-2005, 06:18 PM
It's multi-purpose abilities are the main reason I am going to buy one (once a new revision comes out, as I have a distrust for first run Sony gaming products).

I'm not the average user, but I plan to not only buy games, but a couple 1 gig memory sticks (though the pricing and availability of them is terrible at the moment). There are already programs to downsample avi/mpeg to watch on the PSP, and people are storing several movies on one memory stick. So I have several movies or tv shows on one stick, several albums on the other, and a handful of games.

Valiant
03-24-2005, 06:41 PM

Not entirely true of blockbuster... KCstar did a investigation and blockbuster was charging some customers the price of the movie if they kept it for too long... That is the reason why I went with netflix... Read about it in the paper, and then have heard first hand of them screwing customers over...

jcroft
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
Not entirely true of blockbuster... KCstar did a investigation and blockbuster was charging some customers the price of the movie if they kept it for too long... That is the reason why I went with netflix... Read about it in the paper, and then have heard first hand of them screwing customers over...

Well, it hasn't happened to me. Not to say it didn't happen, but if it's not happening to me, I don't care.

I've never said blockbuster is better than Netflix -- i've never tried netflix. I just tried blockbuster and it's been great for me. That's al..

Valiant
03-24-2005, 06:49 PM
It's multi-purpose abilities are the main reason I am going to buy one (once a new revision comes out, as I have a distrust for first run Sony gaming products).

I'm not the average user, but I plan to not only buy games, but a couple 1 gig memory sticks (though the pricing and availability of them is terrible at the moment). There are already programs to downsample avi/mpeg to watch on the PSP, and people are storing several movies on one memory stick. So I have several movies or tv shows on one stick, several albums on the other, and a handful of games.

You know that the memory is duo... it is the smaller version of the memory stick... So the price will stay up for a very very long time... The thing would have done great if they would have gone with the full size disc, instead of going with the smaller discs...Another thing i do not like about them is thier battery life... It is 3-4 supposed hours out of the box.. Thats not a lot, people say it will suffice... But for the kids getting it and going on roadtrips/flights it is not very long...

Definatly will be a money maker for sony just in accessories alone...

Valiant
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM

Not true... Most stores still have them in stock right now... The Circuit City i work at only sold one out of 32.. I ask the game person there (about 5pm) and only 3 people inquired about it...They did not due much marketing on this compared to ps2..

Valiant
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM
Well, it hasn't happened to me. Not to say it didn't happen, but if it's not happening to me, I don't care.

I've never said blockbuster is better than Netflix -- i've never tried netflix. I just tried blockbuster and it's been great for me. That's al..

Great for you... Was justing putting that stat out there...

Delano
03-24-2005, 06:56 PM

I think he is referring to the in-store rentals. Blockbuster says it's unlimited in-home time for the rental, but after a certain point you have to pay for the disc. I think I read about the purchase policy when I did the trial for Blockbuster.

I'm pretty sure if you have a Netflix movie out for a certain point you have to pay for it as well.

If you want to do the Netflix trial, I think I have a month-long trial rather than their standard 10 day trial to give out. If nothing else, you'll get a few extra movies for nothing.

ZootedGranny
03-24-2005, 07:17 PM
You know that the memory is duo... it is the smaller version of the memory stick... So the price will stay up for a very very long time...

I realize that, but finding one now near the low end prices I've seen ($110-120) is impossible without waiting two weeks or more.

WebGem
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
I saw two people with them in class today. One was watching some movie and the other was playing Spiderman.

UteChief
03-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Well I bought one. Technically I didn't buy it. I used the American Express points to get gift certificates at Toys R Us to pay for it. I started watching Spiderman 2 and the machine plays it awesome. I haven't played a game yet but I have high hopes for the machine.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Color me comfortably indifferent.

unlurking
03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Just bought one. Bundle came with Spiderman 2 and Twisted Metal Head-On. Also bought Gretzky and Darkstalkers.

I spend a lot of time on airplanes.

Pants
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Color me comfortably indifferent.

Yeah, feels nice not giving a shit and having all the saved money. I'm going to feel different when Xbox 2 comes out (or PS3).

unlurking
03-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Just connected it to my wireless network, now trying to figure out what I can do with it!

:)

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 09:22 PM
I am blown away by the PSP. It's like holding the future in your hands. This thing is righteous. Did I just say Righteous? LOL. Anyway, I'm not very computer savvy so any and all wireless information would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure where to start with downloading and such for the PSP. Thanks.

unlurking
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Under network settings, you can VERY easily set up the WiFi for your local network. As I understand it, all you can do right now is download new firmware for the device (mine said I was currently at the latest level), and play multi-player games (which I haven't tried yet).

Rumor has it that a fully functional web browser will be available in the next firmware release, as well as basic file transfers and such. I am REALLY stoked about that.

RIght now I'm watching Spidey 2 (have not seen it yet). It's pretty frickin awesome!

BigChiefFan
03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Under network settings, you can VERY easily set up the WiFi for your local network. As I understand it, all you can do right now is download new firmware for the device (mine said I was currently at the latest level), and play multi-player games (which I haven't tried yet).

Rumor has it that a fully functional web browser will be available in the next firmware release, as well as basic file transfers and such. I am REALLY stoked about that.

RIght now I'm watching Spidey 2 (have not seen it yet). It's pretty frickin awesome!
I watched a little bit of the first of the movie,too and it was heavenly. I wasn't expecting the picture quality to be so good. On the wi-fi, I don't know anything about it, except it's wireless, LOL. Could you elaborate on the firmware? Thanks for the feedback.

TRR
03-24-2005, 10:40 PM
I've played one. The best handheld game system ever invented...But...They're just a handheld. They have PS2 graphics without a doubt.

Pants
03-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I've played one. The best handheld game system ever invented...But...They're just a handheld. They have PS2 graphics without a doubt.

I thought it was Play Station Portable, as in PS one. I also looked at some screenshots and it looked like mid-generation PS one graphics. I haven't played it, though, so I can't judge.

unlurking
03-24-2005, 11:04 PM
I watched a little bit of the first of the movie,too and it was heavenly. I wasn't expecting the picture quality to be so good. On the wi-fi, I don't know anything about it, except it's wireless, LOL. Could you elaborate on the firmware? Thanks for the feedback.
Under the network settings (once you connect to a WiFi network), you are given the option to update the firmware (base OS of the unit). Rumors have it that they'll be updating the firmware with new features regularly, such as an internet browser so you can surf the web from the PSP, send email, etc. Basically, it's expected to become a fully functional PDA.

unlurking
03-24-2005, 11:11 PM
I thought it was Play Station Portable, as in PS one. I also looked at some screenshots and it looked like mid-generation PS one graphics. I haven't played it, though, so I can't judge.

I can't say, as I'm an XBox guy, but it looks cool as hell to me. The display for watching Spidey 2 is AMAZING for a handheld device. I'm guessing the video game graphics will get much better shortly, most of the games seem to be "ported" to the PSP, not native which makes a HUGE difference. The demos for Ridge Race look absolutely amazing, while Gretzky looks pretty lame. It's all going to depend on the games you buy.

Pants
03-24-2005, 11:17 PM
I can't say, as I'm an XBox guy, but it looks cool as hell to me. The display for watching Spidey 2 is AMAZING for a handheld device. I'm guessing the video game graphics will get much better shortly, most of the games seem to be "ported" to the PSP, not native which makes a HUGE difference. The demos for Ridge Race look absolutely amazing, while Gretzky looks pretty lame. It's all going to depend on the games you buy.

Yah, I saw a ridgeracer video and looked real nice. Then I saw the Metal Gear game, which is always a good looker for Sony, and looked pretty bad. It's always much more impressive in person when it comes to hand helds though, so I, like I said, i can't really judge yet.

Talisman
03-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Nintendo really dropped the ball with the DS. The dual screen setup & touchscreen are gimmicks & the graphics are barely the quality of a N64. If they wanted to get the jump on the PSP, they should have brought out a new GameBoy that had the graphics of the GameCube.

Other handheld games systems have challenged Nintendo w/ a unit that has better graphics, but have failed. I think the PSP will be a success b/c Sony's gonna back it w/ a lot of great games. It's a slick looking unit, that's for sure.

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I can without a doubt say it's better than PSONE. It's high resolution, very fluid games. The PSP is phenomenal and the capabilities of downloading are limitless. This is one sweet handheld. BTW, thanks, unlurking.

unlurking
03-25-2005, 12:51 AM
NP

Here's a link to the PSP forum boards...
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=psp

A link to ripping DVDs to memory stick...
http://discuss.mobiledeviant.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=1

And lastly a quick link to dumping audio/video to the PSP...
http://gear.ign.com/articles/598/598803p1.html

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 12:53 AM
NP

Here's a link to the PSP forum boards...
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board?board.id=psp

A link to ripping DVDs to memory stick...
http://discuss.mobiledeviant.com/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=1

And lastly a quick link to dumping audio/video to the PSP...
http://gear.ign.com/articles/598/598803p1.html
You the man. Thanks.

unlurking
03-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Sure thing.

Man, I feel like a little kid again! I spent at least half an hour watching the movie previews and videos on the sample disc, then watched Spidey 2. I had the thing for about 3 or more before I even played my first game!

BTW, if you check out the demo of Gretzky, you'll think the game graphics suck. They are MUCH better than the demo. I put it in expecting a lousy game, but the graphics are pretty good actually.

Darkstalker kicks ass, haven't played Twisted yet. GT4 will likely be my next game purchase.

Oh, and I am so buying The Longest Yard on UMD (and maybe Kung-Fu Hustle :p ).

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Sure thing.

Man, I feel like a little kid again! I spent at least half an hour watching the movie previews and videos on the sample disc, then watched Spidey 2. I had the thing for about 3 or more before I even played my first game!

BTW, if you check out the demo of Gretzky, you'll think the game graphics suck. They are MUCH better than the demo. I put it in expecting a lousy game, but the graphics are pretty good actually.

Darkstalker kicks ass, haven't played Twisted yet. GT4 will likely be my next game purchase.

Oh, and I am so buying The Longest Yard on UMD (and maybe Kung-Fu Hustle :p ).
Yea the sample disc kicks ass. I don't like most of the music, but I still found myself watching all the videos. So far, all I got was TwistedMetal, it's cool, but I'm chomping at the bit to get some UMD movies or a couple more games. The PSP has exceeded what I expected and I expected alot.

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Pretty cool link...

http://www.eagames.com/redesign/games/psp/home.jsp

unlurking
03-25-2005, 01:23 AM
Yea the sample disc kicks ass. I don't like most of the music, but I still found myself watching all the videos. So far, all I got was TwistedMetal, it's cool, but I'm chomping at the bit to get some UMD movies or a couple more games. The PSP has exceeded what I expected and I expected alot.
Big time. I bought it based on the review at theregister.com and was not disappointed at all.

Five new UMD movies ship April 19th. I have a feeling Sony will start releasing many more shortly. Amazon is selling 'em for $14 a pop (cheaper than new DVDs).

Resident Evil - Apocalypse
Hellboy (Director's Cut)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
House of Flying Daggers
XXX

Gotta figure all the previews will be available on UMD when they get released too.

Edit:

Saw this at gamerfeed.com too...

"Film studio Lions Gate Entertainment has announced that they will be supporting Sony's UMD format with 12 movies. A full list wasn't announced, although The Punisher, House of the Dead, Total Recall, and Rambo: First Blood were listed as UMD-bound titles."

Edit2:

Damn, just saw this...

"Buena Vista Home Entertainment announced that it will release five Universal Media Disc (UMD) movies for the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP). The movies include National Treasure, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reign of Fire and Hero. The Walt Disney owned company plans on releasing additional titles throughout the year. No word yet on when the titles will be available or at what price they will be sold for."

Will definitely be picking up KB1 and Hero.

unlurking
03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Pretty cool link...

http://www.eagames.com/redesign/games/psp/home.jsp
Cool, thanks!

Almost bought that NFL Street 2, but needed a throwback fighting game and an NHL fix!

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Big time. I bought it based on the review at theregister.com and was not disappointed at all.

Five new UMD movies ship April 19th. I have a feeling Sony will start releasing many more shortly. Amazon is selling 'em for $14 a pop (cheaper than new DVDs).

Resident Evil - Apocalypse
Hellboy (Director's Cut)
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
House of Flying Daggers
XXX

Gotta figure all the previews will be available on UMD when they get released too.

Edit:

Saw this at gamerfeed.com too...

"Film studio Lions Gate Entertainment has announced that they will be supporting Sony's UMD format with 12 movies. A full list wasn't announced, although The Punisher, House of the Dead, Total Recall, and Rambo: First Blood were listed as UMD-bound titles."

Edit2:

Damn, just saw this...

"Buena Vista Home Entertainment announced that it will release five Universal Media Disc (UMD) movies for the Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP). The movies include National Treasure, Kill Bill Vol. 1, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reign of Fire and Hero. The Walt Disney owned company plans on releasing additional titles throughout the year. No word yet on when the titles will be available or at what price they will be sold for."

Will definitely be picking up KB1 and Hero.
Kick-ass info. Again, thanks.

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 01:34 AM
Found this...

Sony offers via their Connect service free video downloads for the Sony PSP. Sony also explains with a tutorial how to download, transfer and play video on the PSP.

The Connect PSP site offers a setup.zip download that only is a video file with the correct folder structure to configure the correct folders on the memory stick. You do not need to download that. Just create the folders MP_ROOT/100MNV01 on the Memorystick. The video in the setup is only a Sony welcome message.

Sony PSP Connect hosts currently 20 videos for free download. Commercials, Movie Trailers, comic episodes are amongst the clips. Sony says each week new clips are made available. The clips have different length. For some at least a 128MB Memorystick Pro DUO is necessary. Better buy a 512MB Sony Memorystick PRO DUO right away. Check out the latest deals on that.
I downloaded the Stealth Movie Trailer (some kind of new Top Gun Movie). The videos come as zop files. In the zip file are a MP4 video file and a THM thumbnail file. Great to watch on the PSP. Make sure you switch to zoom mode to use the full screen.
More details on the Sony Connect PSP site.

Even more...

http://www.i4u.com/article-topic-3.html

BigChiefFan
03-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Unlurking,
Have you found any good downloadable stuff for the PSP?

TRR
03-25-2005, 06:11 PM
I work at GameStop, and we've been playing the PSP's on our break since last Friday. I think they are great, but there's no way I am spending $249.00 on a PSP (includes memory stick/Spiderman the Movie). I just can't justify that. You can get a skinny PS2 for $149.99.

ZootedGranny
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Picked one up today and it is ELECTRONIC HOT SEX.

The downer is that it has to go back shortly, because it is riddled with dead pixels. I could maybe handle it, but there are 3 or 4 in one area, forming a superpower dead pixel to rape my screen.

Already have a 1 gig duo pro coming from Dell for $107 shipped, and have thrown a couple videos on the 32 meg stick to check them out. I had heard the screen was impressive on the PSP, but it went beyond my expectations.

I already have Sin City ready and loaded for the 1 gigger when it comes.