PDA

View Full Version : Death from a feeding tube?

memyselfI
03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Last month, I posted a prayer request for a neighborhood boy who'd been an collision on his bike with a pickup truck. Jake regained consciousness and was progressing and his parents were very encouraged. But in a even more tragic twist of fate, he was moved from one hospital to another on Friday. Something very wrong happened subsequent to the move and apparently he died Tuesday night, reportedly in part, because of a faulty feeding tube.

He turned 15 just last Friday. :shake: :deevee:

http://www.kctv5.com/Global/story.asp?S=3123040&nav=1PuZXsz6

Hospital Officials Investigating Treatment of Teen

Family Thought Teen Was Going To Be Fine

Feeding Tube Malfunction Killed Teen

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Children's Mercy Hospital officials said Thursday that they had launched an investigation into their treatment of a Shawnee Mission East High School freshman who died after battling his way back from a bicycle accident.

Doctors told Jake Clough's parents that their son was recovering at avalanche speed, but he died out of the blue Monday after his transfer to Children's Mercy for rehabilitation.

An autopsy revealed that a malfunction with his feeding tube, and not the wreck, led to his death.

His parents were told the tube somehow became detached inside him, flooding his body with a solution meant for his stomach.

Tom Clough said his family was devastated.

They thought Jake Clough, with the help of therapy, was going to be fine.

"He was very alert," Tom Clough said. "He clearly had retained his personality, and was going down a path that we were all very excited (about.)"

Children's Mercy officials spent all morning in meetings. They said they were in the process of reviewing his charts to try and determine what happened.

Jake Clough will be laid to rest Saturday.

FloridaChief
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with your friend's family...

chiefs4me
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Very sorry to hear this.....my prayers go out to the family.

memyselfI
03-24-2005, 05:18 PM
Thank you for your thoughts. Just to clarify, I do not know the family personally but I know MANY people who do. For them and Jake's family, I'm :deevee:

Dartgod
03-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Wow. My boss just told me today that he is friends with this family and will be attending the funeral.

CosmicPal
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Oh...that's terrible. I'm sorry to hear about that. I could have been Jake years ago when I was riding my bike thru the neighborhood, on my way to baseball practice. I had my head down as I was racing around the corner and plowed head-on with another car. I flew over the car and landed into a neighbor's lawn. I was lucky. It breaks my heart to hear of Jake's tragedy. My prayer's to you and his family.