PDA

View Full Version : Saints' coach Haslett says steroid use in NFL was rampant

tk13
03-24-2005, 05:33 PM
They were just talking about this on SportsCenter, I guess Haslett was saying that over half of NFL players when he played used them... it was actually intended as a compliment to the current testing policy I guess, but it sounds like it'll just open a can of worms to me...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050324/sp_afp/amfootnflsteroids_050324221743

NFL coach admits taking steroids as a player

1 hour, 11 minutes ago Sports - AFP

The Los Angeles Times and Pittsburgh Post-Gazette newspapers reported the revelation came during the NFL owners meetings this week in Hawaii and just one week after US lawmakers conducted an 11-hour hearing in Washington on the impact of steroids in Major League Baseball.

"I didn't think it (steroids) was very good for you," Haslett told the Times. "I was hyper all the time. Got bloated, a fat face.

"But if you didn't (take steroids), you weren't as strong as everybody else, you weren't as fast as everybody else.

"That's the only reason to do it. Everybody's looking for a competitive edge."

The former linebacker played for the Bills from 1979 to 1985. The NFL began to suspend players for steroids in 1989 and introduced random testing a year later.

First-time offenders are suspended for four games and 44 such banishments have been handed down. No player has tested positive more than once since the bans began.

Haslett said that "all the offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers" were steroid users during his career and specifically pointed his finger at the Pittsburgh Steelers (news), who won four Super Bowl titles in six years in the 1970s.

"It started, really, in Pittsburgh," Haslett told the Post-Gazette. "They got an advantage on a lot of football teams. They were so much stronger (in the) '70s, late '70s, early '80s. They're the ones who kind of started it."

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Breaking News:

McGwire linked to steroids!

(Stunned silence)

tk13
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Breaking News:

McGwire linked to steroids!

(Stunned silence)
Actually I was more going toward the idea that many many people seem to think guys like Bonds and McGwire should have their records and so forth wiped off the board. Should the same things apply to football? I know that's a really vague question but it's a slow day... just trying to create some discussion... :)

Delano
03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually I was more going toward the idea that many many people seem to think guys like Bonds and McGwire should have their records and so forth wiped off the board. Should the same things apply to football? I know that's a really vague question but it's a slow day... just trying to create some discussion... :)

I understand the interest in creating a discussion on steroids. Just kidding with the other post.

I'm kind of apathetic in regards to record removal if steroids are proven to be the reason of said record. I just don't care.

Deberg_1990
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Steroids in the NFL????? No freakin waaay!! I dont believe it! So what are you guys gonna tel me next? That the WWE is rampant with steroids as well????

Frankie
03-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Saints' coach Haslett says steroid use in NFL was rampant.When the Chiefs won the SuperBowl in 69 they had a giant of an Offensive tackle named Jim Tyrer. One of the biggest men in the NFL. He was 285 lbs. Now they are "averaging" 320 lbs. Humankind didn't just get bigger that fast.

Valiant
03-24-2005, 07:15 PM
When the Chiefs won the SuperBowl in 69 they had a giant of an Offensive tackle named Jim Tyrer. One of the biggest men in the NFL. He was 285 lbs. Now they are "averaging" 320 lbs. Humankind didn't just get bigger that fast.

And women were not as skinny or attractive back then either...

Bob Dole
03-24-2005, 07:20 PM
And hamburgers actually contained beef.

Skip Towne
03-24-2005, 07:35 PM
And everything was in black and white. Color hadn't been invented yet.

Taco John
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
"It started, really, in Pittsburgh," Haslett told the Post-Gazette. "They got an advantage on a lot of football teams. They were so much stronger (in the) '70s, late '70s, early '80s. They're the ones who kind of started it."

Holy Moley! :eek:

Dayze
03-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Big deal. the NFL perpetuates this - look at the countless replays of huge hits, etc.

I say legalize it, and let the mayhem begin.

whoman69
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Steroids were in the NFL back into the 60s. Fred Dryer was just one player that admitted it. They weren't used in baseball as much at the time because the prevailing notion was that muscles didn't help you.

Frankie
03-25-2005, 12:07 AM
And everything was in black and white. Color hadn't been invented yet.

Rep :clap:

Simplex3
03-25-2005, 12:08 AM
So what are you guys gonna tel me next? That the WWE is rampant with steroids as well????
Yes, but they're fake.

BIG_DADDY
03-25-2005, 12:15 AM
This just in athletes use performance inhancing substances. WTF, I am so tired of hearing about this BS. Haslett is just the most recent assclown to open his trap so he can see can get a little national exposer. It certainly wasn't going to happen from his outstanding coaching ability.

Frankie
03-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Didn't Lyle Alzado die of cancer attributed to steroid use?

BIG_DADDY
03-25-2005, 12:55 AM
Didn't Lyle Alzado die of cancer attributed to steroid use?

Yes, that was before they knew about cycling.