PDA

View Full Version : Songs That Have Been Ruined by Commercial Use

Dayze
03-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Just drinking a beer....and pondering.
What songs, in your opinion, have been ruined by use in commercials, etc.?

Like a Rock - bob Segar.
Not only do I now loathe nearly all Bob Segar songs....I cringe when I look at any model of Chevy truck from 1992 - 2002. Chevy seems to be getting away from it.

Rock & Roll - Led Zep. I'm not completely turned off by it yet. But I now find my self skipping from #1 Black Dog, past song #2 Rock & Roll on the CD.

4th and Long
03-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Just drinking a beer....and pondering.
What songs, in your opinion, have been ruined by use in commercials, etc.?

Like a Rock - bob Segar.
Not only do I now loathe nearly all Bob Segar songs....I cringe when I look at any model of Chevy truck from 1992 - 2002. Chevy seems to be getting away from it.

Rock & Roll - Led Zep. I'm not completely turned off by it yet. But I now find my self skipping from #1 Black Dog, past song #2 Rock & Roll on the CD.
I happen to still like both of those songs.

whoman69
03-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Usually as soon as the artist dies, the greedy family ruins their legacy by selling his songs out.

A great song ruined by Easy Off- Its So Easy Buddy Holly

tk13
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Vertigo by U2.... I was tired of it before I ever got to hear the whole thing off the album because it was on the iPod commercials every 5 minutes....

Dayze
03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
I happen to still like both of those songs.

Yeah, I still like R & R.
I'm just worried......

As long as they don't start using Satriani's songs (less "Summer Song" from the Sony Walkman commericals a while back), Hendrix, or SRV I'll be ok.

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Vertigo by U2.... I was tired of it before I ever got to hear the whole thing off the album because it was on the iPod commercials every 5 minutes....Is that the one with the bad Spanish?

Dayze
03-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Si

big nasty kcnut
03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Let go by the ramone
kryptonite by 3 doors down
ring of fire by johnny cash

4th and Long
03-24-2005, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I still like R & R.
I'm just worried......

As long as they don't start using Satriani's songs (less "Summer Song" from the Sony Walkman commericals a while back), Hendrix, or SRV I'll be ok.
Oh I'm sure at some point, they'll find a way to use those songs too. Picture this.

It's a commercial for some kind of house paint. Some guys looks out his window and sees a house across the street that's painted red. Some hot chick comes out of the house in a bikini and starts doing yard work. The guy starts drooling and licking the window.. She sees him, goes back in the house, comes out with some paint and a power painter and changes the color of her house. All the while, Hendrix's Red House is playing in the background.

Just as the lyrics, "I guess if my baby don't love me no more." plays, he looks out his other window to another red house down the street with some other hot chick doing yard work, "... I know here sister will."

Rausch
03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm worried about this. Most of Pink Floyd are around 80 years old or so and I just know that as soon as Gilmore or someone dies one of their relatives will sell the rights to Comfortably numb to the makers of Zoloft or something...

the Talking Can
03-24-2005, 10:14 PM
all of them

4th and Long
03-24-2005, 10:15 PM
I'm worried about this. Most of Pink Floyd are around 80 years old or so and I just know that as soon as Gilmore or someone dies one of their relatives will sell the rights to Comfortably numb to the makers of Zoloft or something...
I doubt that. Zoloft, Paxil, etc., don't want their product referred to as causing numbness. You'd be more likely to see that song used for a sun burn spray/cream or even worse, Preperation H.

Rausch
03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I doubt that. Zoloft, Paxil, etc., don't want their product referred to as causing numbness.

Uh, what?

Zoloft is for depression and anxiety. The $#it is SUPPOSED to make you comfortably numb...

Ultra Peanut
03-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Preparation H was going to run an ad featuring "Ring of Fire" before it got axed at the last minute.

4th and Long
03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Uh, what?

Zoloft is for depression and anxiety. The $#it is SUPPOSED to make you comfortably numb...
Not quite. They want to market their product as "happy pills" I work with these drugs every day. Trust me on this one.

Zoloft is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor). It works like this.

Nerve cells in the brain and the rest of the nervous system use chemical messengers. These messengers help cells send messages to each other. One of these messengers is called serotonin.

Studies show that serotonin plays a vital role in how the body works. It controls sleep, appetite, temperature, and blood vessel tone. It's also in charge of the release of certain hormones and how much pain people feel.

Because it is linked with so many functions in the body, serotonin has an effect on a wide range of conditions such as depression.

This tie between depression and serotonin led scientists to an interesting find. Scientists believe people with depression could have an imbalance of serotonin in their brain.

That means the level of serotonin is "off." So the nerve cells can't communicate, or send messages to each other the right way. This lack of contact between cells might cause depression.

kcfanintitanhell
03-24-2005, 10:30 PM
I can't imagine how much $$$ Bob Seger made (and is still making) from the "Like a Rock" residuals. That's been going on for what, 15 years?
BTW-I am currently in a band that did a national Dodge truck commercial a few years back-we only made about 10 grand, but got a hellava lot of exposure.
Most people that heard the commercial that had the CD were pissed that the line in the song "this mean ol world can kiss my ass today" was left out of the commercial.
We still have folks coming up and requesting the "Kiss My Ass" song.

Rausch
03-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Not quite. They want to market their product as "happy pills" I work with these drugs every day. Trust me on this one.

Nerve cells in the brain and the rest of the nervous system use chemical messengers. These messengers help cells send messages to each other. One of these messengers is called serotonin.

Studies show that serotonin plays a vital role in how the body works. It controls sleep, appetite, temperature, and blood vessel tone. It's also in charge of the release of certain hormones and how much pain people feel.

Because it is linked with so many functions in the body, serotonin has an effect on a wide range of conditions such as depression.

This tie between depression and serotonin led scientists to an interesting find. Scientists believe people with depression could have an imbalance of serotonin in their brain.

That means the level of serotonin is "off." So the nerve cells can't communicate, or send messages to each other the right way. This lack of contact between cells might cause depression.

Or, bad $#it happens to good people and instead of dealing with it they listen to commercials that tell them they don't have to.

Not slamming you or your job, but some of this stuff ticks me off. While I don't have 1/100th the knowledge about these drugs you do, I have seen more than one person who took a few "feel good" drugs and became zombies...

And, it was a joke... :thumb:

4th and Long
03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Or, bad $#it happens to good people and instead of dealing with it they listen to commercials that tell them they don't have to.

Not slamming you or your job, but some of this stuff ticks me off. While I don't have 1/100th the knowledge about these drugs you do, I have seen more than one person who took a few "feel good" drugs and became zombies...

And, it was a joke... :thumb:
You're right. I've known lots of people who took those drugs and the vast majority of them all said the same thing. "They didn't make me happy, they just made me not give a shit."

My take on it is, "You can't find happiness in a pill bottle."

Rausch
03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
You're right. I've known lots of people who took those drugs and the vast majority of them all said the same thing. "They didn't make me happy, they just made me not give a shit."

My take on it is, "You can't find happiness in a pill bottle."

Agreed.

But OTOH, if you wanna' buy a pet rock I'll sell you one...

Skip Towne
03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
I was a big Floyd fan that year. I think it was 1923.

Garcia Bronco
03-24-2005, 10:39 PM

That means the level of serotonin is "off." So the nerve cells can't communicate, or send messages to each other the right way. This lack of contact between cells might cause depression. Or make you schizo, Serotonin is my favorite indolemene small molecule neurotransmitter.....did I get that right...it's been 10 years.

Rausch
03-24-2005, 10:43 PM

Most people don't know that Al Capone was their first manager. Then he started hanging out with Syd Barrett and it was all downhill from there...

Skip Towne
03-24-2005, 10:47 PM
Most people don't know that Al Capone was their first manager. Then he started hanging out with Syd Barrett and it was all downhill from there...
Yeah but Capone was a punk kid in'23.

trndobrd
03-25-2005, 03:21 AM
Yeah but Capone was a punk kid in'23.

I would like to see "Heartbeat, Pigmeat", "One of These Days" or "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" used in an ad. I'm just curious what kind of products they would be advertising.

teedubya
03-25-2005, 03:38 AM
Wooo Hooo
Hooo Hoo Hoo

Wooo Hooo
Hooo Hoo Hoo

Hoo hoo
hoo hoo

Wooo Hooo
Hooo Hoo Hoo

mikey23545
03-25-2005, 04:51 AM

The same year you started smoking pot...

Coincidence?...