PDA

View Full Version : Do we want to win now or try to build for later?

Red Dawg
03-25-2005, 10:32 AM
We've been building for 20 years. Too many on thisd board are all about drafting talent. I like that idea as well but we will probably never have an offense this good again. Get the FA's we need for once before a new coach comes in and cleans house.

Amnorix
03-25-2005, 10:33 AM
You need to win now. But the draft can help accomplish that if you draft well.

|Zach|
03-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Another thread?

Eleazar
what was wrong with the other draft thread?

Mr. Laz
Do we want to win now or try to build for later?

We've been building for 20 years
you already anwered your own question

why would the Hunts try to win now when their football business is cranking out 20+ million in profit per year without winning.

Mile High Mania
03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Taking off my anti-KC glasses... the window of opportunity for this Chiefs' team is closing. Age to key producers and the fact that Vermeil is in his final year are two huge factors with this team.

Sure, Gonzo is fairly young and while Holmes is gimpy, LJ appears to be able to step up and produce. Green is getting old, but he is relatively healthy. Age is creeping up on several key players.

I think the window of opportunity is 1, maybe 2 years realistically. I don't think that KC can go from being "sporadic" the last few years to a SB winner in 2005 ... possibly 2006, but then these players are 2 years older at that point and you have a new coaching staff.

I think KC should go balls to the walls on getting some badass free agents or veteran players via trade. Throw caution to the wind and do their best to buy a championship.

The team in its current state is staring at some form of rebuilding in 2-3 years, right? So, go for it all now and see what happens. I'm not suggesting crippling the team financially from a cap perspective for the next few years, but push it to the limits.

Just my thoughts...

Coogs
03-25-2005, 10:39 AM
We've been building for 20 years. Too many on thisd board are all about drafting talent. I like that idea as well but we will probably never have an offense this good again. Get the FA's we need for once before a new coach comes in and cleans house.

I think we can do both. And I think we are. I expect players like Saivii, Fox, Battle, Parker, etc. to start making significant contributions this season.

And I also expect Bell, Knight, and possibly one more FA off-season defensive aquisition to move this defense to the middle of the pack when combined with the players mentioned above.

And with the draft, the backups from the last couple of seasons need to be moved out the door, and replaced with the future direction of the Chiefs.

htismaqe
03-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Do you need to start a new thread to say the same thing you said in the last one?

You're quickly approaching Phoney Gonzales status.