View Full Version : Dean: Surtain is Chiefs' best option

raypec85
03-26-2005, 09:42 AM
http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/032605/chi_surtain.shtml

Published Saturday, March 26, 2005

Dean: No question, Surtain is the Chiefs' best play

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Up until a week ago, when they had only two picks in the three-round first day of the NFL draft, the Chiefs' reluctance to trade a draft pick for a proven NFL cornerback was merely distressing.

But today, now that they have picks in each of the draft's first three rounds, Kansas City's failure to make a trade for Miami cornerback Patrick Surtain would be distressingly unacceptable.

The Chiefs this past week picked up their missing third-round draft pick -- the one they traded to Philadelphia last year in a draft-day deal for starting lineman John Welbourne -- when the NFL awarded a compensatory pick for last year's loss of tackle John Tait. When Tait received $14 million in guaranteed money from Chicago, the Chiefs declined to match the ransom figure and subsequently received the extra pick for losing their designated transition player.

The Welbourne draft-day trade was a good one after Tait's departure left a major void at right tackle. Using a draft pick in a relatively high round to acquire a player who could fill that hole immediately was a better talent acquisition than Kansas City usually makes in the third round.

It's hard to imagine now why Kansas City wouldn't do the same to fill an even more glaring need at cornerback in these days leading up to the April 23 draft.

The Dolphins are anxious to trade Surtain despite his standout history (Pro Bowls in 2002 and '03 and an alternate spot last year) and bright future (he'll be 29 in June). They aren't anxious to lose a player whose 25 interceptions during the past four seasons are the most by any NFL corner. But with Surtain's '05 contract accounting for $8.38 million against their cap, and with young Will Poole ready to join Sam Madison at the corners, Miami is shopping a quality player.

The Chiefs were cautious browsers early before deciding that Miami's asking price, a second-round draft pick, was too high for a team that at the time didn't have a third-round pick.

That was an acceptable decision when other quality free agents corners were in play. But then the Chiefs let Samari Rolle leave Kansas City unsigned and were late in inviting Fred Smoot for a visit. Now their best hope for adding a quality corner to the league's worst pass defense comes down to Surtain or Ty Law.

Law would be a great free agent pickup if someone could promise Carl Peterson that the 31-year-old Patriots standout will recover completely from his broken foot and again be the cover guy who deserved four Pro Bowl trips. Only a used car salesman would make that promise.

If the Chiefs wait until Law proves he's healthy, they will enter a high-stakes bidding war they can't afford.

Surtain is the better play -- right here, right now. He may well cost $12 million or more in guaranteed money on a new contract, but it's a price the Chiefs have to pay to play in coach Dick Vermeil's last season.

the Talking Can
03-26-2005, 09:49 AM
He didn't get the memo, we just have sign 8-10 McMediocre CBs and we'll be fine...

PHOG
03-26-2005, 10:00 AM
He didn't get the memo, we just have sign 8-10 McMediocre CBs and we'll be fine...

CB by comittee(sp)

Keep shuffling them in until we find one that the ref feels sorry for?

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
It'll happen.

Luzap
03-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I too think it will get done ~ and it won't cost us a second.

Everyone can complain about Peterson and Thum all they want, but it's important to have a tuff negotiator.

Perhaps we give up a third round pick, or better yet, a conditional pick next year.

Luz
let's make sure he stays healthy...

bricks
03-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I too think it will get done ~ and it won't cost us a second.

Everyone can complain about Peterson and Thum all they want, but it's important to have a tuff negotiator.

Perhaps we give up a third round pick, or better yet, a conditional pick next year.

Luz
let's make sure he stays healthy...

i think they are not willing to part with their 2nd round pick because the Chiefs are looking to use that pick to draft a CB in that round. they probably want a CB who is capable of starting and playing the nickel. Something I don't mind since I don't want to see or hear the names Bartee and McCleon. Well, I'm dreaming cause we probably will either way. I'm guessing our starting corners opening day will be Law or Surtain, and draft pick. NB's will be either McCleon or Bartee opening day. Remember, this years draft is very deep with CB's, their are 7 good ones out there, and one of them, if not 2 will fall to the 2nd round.

Deberg_1990
03-26-2005, 10:50 AM
i think they are not willing to part with their 2nd round pick because the Chiefs are looking to use that pick to draft a CB in that round. they probably want a CB who is capable of starting and playing the nickel. Something I don't mind since I don't want to see or hear the names Bartee and McCleon. Well, I'm dreaming cause we probably will either way. I'm guessing our starting corners opening day will be Law or Surtain, and draft pick. NB's will be either McCleon or Bartee opening day. Remember, this years draft is very deep with CB's, their are 7 good ones out there, and one of them, if not 2 will fall to the 2nd round.

Id like to see us draft at least 2 CB's in this draft, 1 linebacker and at least 1 WR

PastorMikH
03-26-2005, 10:53 AM
It'll happen.

That's what was said of Hartwell and Rolle too.:sulk:

bricks
03-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Id like to see us draft at least 2 CB's in this draft, 1 linebacker and at least 1 WR

I think 1 CB is okay, and 1 LB. We have to get a CB first through FA(draft one in the 2nd round) a LB should be this teams #1 priority going into the draft. I don't mind seeing Law or Surtain, and draft pick on opening day as our starting CB's. I can live with McCleon, Bartee as our NB's for 4 games. As long as they aren't starting I'm ok with that.

Skip Towne
03-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't know about doing this, we already have Bartee and Surtain only has 25 more interceptions than him..

PHOG
03-26-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't know about doing this, we already have Bartee and Surtain only has 25 more interceptions than him..

OK.. good .. :LOL:

Wile_E_Coyote
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Law & Surtain are only 5' 11", Bartee is 6' 1" We are better off playing Bartee

PHOG
03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Law & Surtain are only 5' 11", Bartee is 6' 1" We are better off playing Bartee

I would be interested in :Bartee: 's combine numbers..

And why don't they have numbers on flexibility of the neck..

Skip Towne
03-26-2005, 11:35 AM
This all makes sense to me....Bartee it is!

keg in kc
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
That's what was said of Hartwell and Rolle too.Not by me.

chiefmachine
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
This just in William Bartee's agent and the Kansas City Chiefs have just agreed in principle. They agreed that Bartee isn't worth enough money to by his mothers love!

PHOG
03-26-2005, 11:43 AM
This all makes sense to me....Bartee it is!

After all, just how many DC's has he had in his career?

No wonder he's confused..

:D