PDA

View Full Version : Compensatory Draft Picks

jspchief
03-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Is there any set criteria for awarding compensatory picks? I've seen very basic explanations, but no one has ever offered a structured method, and I've heard from several people that it's at least partially objective.

The reason I ask is because I'm tryingto figure out how the hell Denver qualified for two 3rd round picks. Who did they lose to qualifiy them for two?

Some coincidence that it happened in the same year that they are forfeiting a 3rd round pick for cheating the cap. I'm not much of a "black helicopters" type of guy, but there seems to be a lot of shady sh*t going on with Denver and the NFL.

Phobia
03-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Yes there's a set criteria. It's even more confusing than QB rating formula.

The only person who understands is Paul Tagliabue.

Hercules Rockefell
03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Average $$$ per year is a big factor. Berry's deal averaged $5M and the "deal" Gold got from Tampa was over $5M even though everyone knew it was a one year deal in reality.

Mile High Mania
03-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Also, Berry went to the pro bowl...

Since 1993, I *believe* KC is top 10 for having received the most compensatory picks. Dallas tops the list.

DTLB58
03-26-2005, 03:43 PM
DENVER Lost: Bert Berry, Keith Burns, Ian Gold, Signed: Marco Coleman

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314832 For the article and complete list from NFL.com

DTLB58
03-26-2005, 03:45 PM
If you don't want to read the whole article, here is the highlight.

This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314832

Bowser
03-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I'm still curious as to how Denver received a pick for Ian Gold, even though he is back on their roster after a one year hiatus. Or was it two?

Hercules Rockefell
03-26-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm still curious as to how Denver received a pick for Ian Gold, even though he is back on their roster after a one year hiatus. Or was it two?

Each offseason is independent of every other. Gold won't even be an "addition" for next year's comp pick determination because Tampa cut him.

JamSec128
03-26-2005, 05:04 PM
The NFL awards compensatory picks based on the net loss of restricted free agents. The limit for compensatory picks is four per team."

Rain Man
03-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Denver gets two third-round picks for losing Bert Berry, Keith Burns, and Ian Gold and picking up Marco Coleman.

Philadelphia gets a 5th, a 6th, and 2 7ths for losing Marco Coleman, Carlos Emmons, Duce Staley, Bobby Taylor, Troy Vincent, and Bobbie Williams. and picking up Dhani Jones and Jevon Kearse.

That's ludicrous. Denver just gets stuff handed to them every year.

SoCalBronco
03-26-2005, 06:16 PM
rain man, what part of philadephia acquired jevon kearse dont you understand?