PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs concerned about Bell? Link included

Mr. Flopnuts
03-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm only including the part of the article relavent to the Chiefs.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/43284.htm

BELL RINGS RISKY

No doubt, the Chiefs were happy to land free agent linebacker Kendrell Bell. But sources within the organization stated they're "holding their breath" regarding Bell's injured shoulder and are fearful that it could hamper and even end his career in the near future. The former defensive rookie of the year scared some teams off with his high salary demands, others with his questionable attitude. Kansas City did sign Bell, but split his signing bonus up so it'd be covered in case his shoulder turns out to be a problem. Of his $10 million bonus, he'll get $3.5 million if he's still on the roster in 2006 and another $3 million if he's around in '07.

Nice to know that we had too many concerns about Rolle's health, according to the media anyway. I'd complain about Law, however I think it's clear that if he would take a contract structured similarily he'd be in Chiefs red already.

alanm
03-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Bells gonna be just fine... Relax :thumb:

Luzap
03-27-2005, 02:35 PM
Sounds like smart structuring of contracts to me...

Makes me wonder if Rolle wouldn't agree to the same type of deal?

Luz
having no problem with this...

Wallcrawler
03-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I was not aware that Kendrell Bell had sustained a shoulder injury.

I was only aware of the high ankle sprain that is a non issue now, and the sports hernia he sustained from squatting too much weight.

When did this shoulder injury occur, and what exactly is it?

tk13
03-27-2005, 05:34 PM
According to Whitlock, he said in a column that Bell supposedly had "arthritis" in the shoulder area, but who knows...

Wile_E_Coyote
03-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Here are three other players The Post has learned are rising meteorically:

Georgia DE David Pollack - It would be shocking if Pollack got past the Lions at 10, and he very likely could go higher. He's certainly not exceptionally big, strong, or fast, but the kid can flat-out play. He reminds many scouts of a Tedy Bruschi type-player.

Maryland DE/LB Shawne Merriman - A great offseason has him almost definitely jumping into the Top 10. He's extremely versatile and a relentless, aggressive pass rusher who could land in Washington at No. 9.

Georgia S Thomas Davis - Extremely big hitter continues to climb the charts and looks to be headed toward the top half of the first round, potentially going to Houston with the 13th pick, or even possibly sixth overall to Tennessee.

As for those who have hurt themselves:

Michigan DB Marlin Jackson - A corner who also projects to play safety didn't do himself any favors by injuring his wrist at Michigan's pro day. He's likely to drop into the bottom of the first round. The Eagles, at 31, would love to jump on Jackson.

West Virginia CB Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - While the media's hyping Jones as a Top 5 pick, several scouts and personnel types said they wouldn't be surprised if he fell all the way to the bottom of the first round, and potentially into the second. While possessing tremendous speed, Jones is very short (5-8), very undisciplined and needs a lot of technique work.

Texas LB Derrick Johnson - His production clearly doesn't match his hype. The rap on Johnson is that he can dominate lesser competition, but disappears in big games. Not a great way to enter the professional level.

CLOSING THE GATES

Look for Chargers star tight end Antonio Gates to sit out training camp if he doesn't get a new contract before then. Several of Gates' teammates told The Post he's not going to show if he doesn't get a new pact. Gates, who burst onto the scene last season with 81 catches for 964 yards and 13 touchdowns, is scheduled to make a mere $380,000 this season, the last of his deal. Gates is looking to be paid commensurate with his production, and isn't expected to show up at camp until he is. Several messages left by The Post with Gates' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, went unreturned.

tk13
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
From Whitlock's article before we signed Bell...

Bell thought he had a blockbuster deal with the New York Giants, but the deal fell apart at the last minute. Word is the Giants got scared off when their doctors discovered arthritis in Bell's shoulders. You can find arthritis in the joints and muscles of just about every NFL player if you look hard enough. Bell passed his physical in KC.

Bowser
03-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Wow. Gates is only scheduled to make 380k this year? Talk about getting the most for your buck......

Eleazar
03-27-2005, 05:47 PM
Wow. Gates is only scheduled to make 380k this year? Talk about getting the most for your buck......

Well they won't be getting anything for their buck at that price.

Bowser
03-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Well they won't be getting anything for their buck at that price.

Heh. I should have continued the post by asking "I wonder what he made last year? 275,000? THAT'S bang for your buck!"

jAZ
03-27-2005, 06:12 PM
From Whitlock's article before we signed Bell...
No suprise that the NY media is focusing on the reports of the NY team doctors, rather than the KC team doctors. I don't know who to believe, but time will tell.

TRR
03-27-2005, 06:25 PM
Sounds like a lot of B*llsh*t to me.

whoman69
03-27-2005, 07:12 PM
A player who is frustrated over an injury can seem like a problem real quickly.

wazu
03-27-2005, 11:05 PM
One area where the Chiefs usually don't suck is in evaluating the health of players they want to sign. Roaf and Priest are a couple of examples that the Chiefs made the right call and it payed off.

jAZ
03-27-2005, 11:16 PM
One area where the Chiefs usually don't suck is in evaluating the health of players they want to sign. Roaf and Priest are a couple of examples that the Chiefs made the right call and it payed off.
And Trent Green.

keg in kc
03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
One area where the Chiefs usually don't suck is in evaluating the health of players they want to sign. Roaf and Priest are a couple of examples that the Chiefs made the right call and it payed off.Good point. Trent Green, too.

Donald Willis was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that of all the teams he'd visited in his career, the Chiefs gave him the most stringent battery of medical tests.

The other thing to remember is that all these guys are beat to hell during their careers, not a one of them is in perfect shape. The trick is figuring out where the safest bets lie. We'll see how it turns out, but, like Adam mentioned, I'd say medical evaluation is one of the few areas we're pretty good at.

Now if we could only get talent evaluation to follow suit.

whoman69
03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Or at least have them back off on trying to draft for potential instead of talent.

chiefsfolife
03-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Good point. Trent Green, too.

Donald Willis was on the radio a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that of all the teams he'd visited in his career, the Chiefs gave him the most stringent battery of medical tests.

The other thing to remember is that all these guys are beat to hell during their careers, not a one of them is in perfect shape. The trick is figuring out where the safest bets lie. We'll see how it turns out, but, like Adam mentioned, I'd say medical evaluation is one of the few areas we're pretty good at.

yes...I definetly agree. Even in the 90's where guys like Montanna and Allen...especially Allen really paid off.

Sure-Oz
03-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Not concerned at this time.

Rausch
03-28-2005, 01:21 AM
Bell will be fine.

I'm worried about Law's health (I think we'll end up signing him.)

Pants
03-28-2005, 02:00 AM
WTF? If the Chiefs had concerns then why did they sign him? These are professional athletes, they deal with injuries every day of the season, it's part of their job to deal with them.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 05:38 AM
No suprise that the NY media is focusing on the reports of the NY team doctors, rather than the KC team doctors. I don't know who to believe, but time will tell.

This is NY's verison of Rufus Dawes.

They're obviously focusing on this because the Chiefs signed him and the Giants didn't.

Manila-Chief
03-28-2005, 05:40 AM

Negative note: How about Welbourn (sp?) ... but you are correct they have had a great record with these guys...

Otter
03-28-2005, 06:18 AM
I've watched many a Steeler games, IMHO Bell was a geat signing. Seems the FO did a pretty good job of structuring the contact as well.

He is an absolute animal every play when he's on the field. I can't wait to see him play in the red and gold.

penchief
03-28-2005, 06:39 AM
This is NY's verison of Rufus Dawes.

They're obviously focusing on this because the Chiefs signed him and the Giants didn't.

Exactly. Giants fans are just as anxious as Chiefs fans. They're disecting their team's off-season moves just like we are. I'm sure the front office has heard the complaining about how we signed Bell to a friendly contract when they could have done the same. Maybe our Rolle is their Bell. Maybe they overplayed the injury card and another team reaped the benefit and now they have to justify it in the media.

jspchief
03-28-2005, 07:15 AM
The Giants GM Ernie Accorsi came out and said that reports of the shoulder arthritis were false. He said that Bell passed their physical.

Why would the Giants GM come out and defend a player that we had already signed?

Pants
03-28-2005, 07:17 AM
The Giants GM Ernie Accorsi came out and said that reports of the shoulder arthritis were false. He said that Bell passed their physical.

Why would the Giants GM come out and defend a player that we had already signed?

Dude, it's the f*cking media. Anybody who is taking that article seriously...well you get the point.

InChiefsHeaven
03-28-2005, 07:33 AM

Cuz the truth would probably have come out and he doesn't want to look like a vindictive little beotch...

When did he say this, btw?

jspchief
03-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Dude, it's the f*cking media. Anybody who is taking that article seriously...well you get the point.

Dude, I'm f*cking agreeing with you.

jspchief
03-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Cuz the truth would probably have come out and he doesn't want to look like a vindictive little beotch...

When did he say this, btw?

He said it within a week of when we signed him.

I'm saying that I don't think the Giants GM would lie about this. The media claims one thing, a team GM claims another. Accorsi has nothing to gain by lying about Bell being healthy after he's off the market.

Pants
03-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Dude, I'm f*cking agreeing with you.

lol, I was agreeing with you as well.

Gaz
03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
I would be concerned if the Chiefs were NOT concerned about Bell’s health. His injury history was the reason I favored Hartwell.

Yes, I know he came back to quickly from a football injury and I realize that another injury was related to lifing and not to on-field action. But his resumé is worrisome, nonetheless. Perhaps I am just a worrywart…

Fortunately, the contract appears to be structured to minimize the long-term damage, should the explanations for Bell’s injury history turn out to be over-optimistic.

xoxo~
Gaz
Concerned, but very hopeful.

redfan
03-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Quick, where's me pix of 50s guy slapping his forehead saying: "Aw geez, not this shit again!"

Degenerative arthritis tends to happen when the joints get all smashed together frequently. It's part of the game. Bell is a monster; big, strong and fast. It is nice to see the Chiefs hedge the bet a lil' with the contract. Y'know, just in case.

ChiTown
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Perhaps I am just a worrywart…

xoxo~
Gaz
Concerned, but very hopeful.

No, you aren't a worrywart. This is all part of the Chiefs master plan. Apparently, you didn't get a fresh copy.

Gaz
03-28-2005, 09:35 AM
No, you aren't a worrywart. This is all part of the Chiefs master plan. Apparently, you didn't get a fresh copy.

Hey, I am just glad to hear that there IS a master plan…

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking comfort in the little things.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Gaz
Taking comfort in the little things.Hey! Both hands on the keyboard.

Don't you already have glasses? You know you'll go blind if you don't stop.

mlyonsd
03-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey! Both hands on the keyboard.

Don't you already have glasses? You know you'll go blind if you don't stop.ROFL

Gaz
03-28-2005, 09:38 AM

Oh, you are a bad man…

xoxo~
Gaz
Thought the webcam was off.

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 09:43 AM

A bottle of Red [Tequila Rose],
a bottle of White [Jergens]
It all depends on your appetite
The webcam's on any time you want
In Gaz's Italian Restaurant.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 09:54 AM
A bottle of Red [Tequila Rose],
a bottle of White [Jergens]
It all depends on your appetite
The webcam's on any time you want
In Gaz's Italian Restaurant.

ROFL

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 10:00 AM
ROFLOoh, Baby Lee. He's laughing at you. Laughing at you, man. The f*cker!

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey, I just realized that Doug Franz is whining about this right now.

He just had Ken Palmer from the New York post on, the guy who apparently originated this shit. Sounded like a typical New York prick, so I sort of automatically tuned him out. Although I did catch something about Bell getting into Cowher's doghouse in Pittsburgh because he wouldn't play hurt, that he was 100% good to go in the playoffs but Cowher held him out.

Caller just asked a good question: if he was 100% good to go for the playoff game, then how could he not pass the Giants' physical a month ago?

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Ooh, Baby Lee. He's laughing at you. Laughing at you, man. The f*cker!

I'm actually laughing at his humorous satire.

Bitch.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Hey, I just realized that Doug Franz is whining about this right now.

He just had Ken Palmer from the New York post on, the guy who apparently originated this shit. Sounded like a typical New York prick, so I sort of automatically tuned him out. Although I did catch something about Bell getting into Cowher's doghouse in Pittsburgh because he wouldn't play hurt, that he was 100% good to go in the playoffs but Cowher held him out.

Caller just asked a good question: if he was 100% good to go for the playoff game, then how could he not pass the Giants' physical a month ago?

So the possibility exists that he wasn't playing in the postseason simply because Cowher was mad at him?

That could actually be good news for us if it's true.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 10:28 AM
So the possibility exists that he wasn't playing in the postseason simply because Cowher was mad at him?

That could actually be good news for us if it's true.Not sure. The way Mr. New York was making it sound was that there was an attitude problem, and Bell lost the respect and support of his teammates.

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm actually laughing at his humorous satire.

Bitch.
Actually, that was parody, with pop culture reference tossed in.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Not sure. The way Mr. New York was making it sound was that there was an attitude problem, and Bell lost the respect and support of his teammates.

And that could still be a positive for us.

Sometimes guys just need a change of venue.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Actually, that was parody, with pop culture reference tossed in.

And my comment was obviously aimed at inflating my post count with a feeble attempt at sarcasm...

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 10:40 AM
And that could still be a positive for us.

Sometimes guys just need a change of venue.I'm not particularly concerned by it, in any event. Medical evaluation is not something I worry about where the Chiefs are concerned; that's one area in which they've actually proven some degree of competence.

Baby Lee
03-28-2005, 10:42 AM
And my comment was obviously aimed at inflating my post count with a feeble attempt at sarcasm...
So you concede that you misidentified the form of my witticism?!?!?

ROFL ROFL

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 11:44 AM
So you concede that you misidentified the form of my witticism?!?!?

ROFL ROFL

No, I will NOT admit defeat. Consider it a flaw in my character. :D

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
No, I will NOT admit defeat. Consider it a flaw in my character.Isn't admitting that you have a flaw in your character that renders you incapable of admitting defeat a passive way of admitting defeat?

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Isn't admitting that you have a flaw in your character that renders you incapable of admitting defeat a passive way of admitting defeat?

Thanks. Now I'm thoroughly confused.

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks. Now I'm thoroughly confused.Then my work here is done.

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Then my work here is done.

Thanks ****er.