PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Hard drive mod

Mark M
03-28-2005, 08:24 AM
Does anyone here have a HD mod for their PS2 (not the mod chip, but the hard drive on which you can load games, etc.)?

How much did it cost?
Any other software/hardware needed?
How well does it work?

Thanks in advance for the info.

MM
~~:grovel:

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
1. Yes
2. You can buy a PS2 hard drive for 99.99. It comes with Final Fantasy XI on it. OR, you can buy a regular hard drive and slap it in there. You will need the network adapter to plug the hard drive in, its simple. Don't buy a Western Digital though, they won't fit. Anywhere from a 40-120 gig will work properly.
2. Yes. HDLoader is needed. Search ebay, or google it. It should run about 25-40 bucks.
3. Pretty good. The larger games don't work, (Like Gran Turismo 4), but i'd say about 95 percent of all PS2 games work fine on it. It rips the game to the HD, which usually takes a couple gigs, and then you boot off the HDLoader disc and "load" it. Loading times are much much faster.

Go to http://hdloader.net/ for more info on Hard drive compatibility, and games compatibility.

FYI, this does NOT work with the new "slim" PS2.

Pants
03-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Does anyone here have a HD mod for their PS2 (not the mod chip, but the hard drive on which you can load games, etc.)?

How much did it cost?
Any other software/hardware needed?
How well does it work?

Thanks in advance for the info.

MM
~~:grovel:

Heh, should have gone with the Box.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 08:28 AM
I've got an X-Box. It collects dust. I just can't get used to the gargantuan controller. Probably because i've used a playstation one for so long.

Pants
03-28-2005, 08:31 AM
I've got an X-Box. It collects dust. I just can't get used to the gargantuan controller. Probably because i've used a playstation one for so long.

All my cunts are of the S variety. Like PS2 except more comfortable. I can't stand the biggie ones either, but they were perfect for Halo.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 08:35 AM

Got one. :p

FYI, this does NOT work with the new "slim" PS2.

Well ... there goes that idea. Nevermind ...

MM
~~:cuss:

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Trade that mutha in for an old style PS2. Its quite the racket once you get it working.

1. Rent game from blockbuster
2. Rip it
4. Profit!

Mark M
03-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Trade that mutha in for an old style PS2. Its quite the racket once you get it working.

1. Rent game from blockbuster
2. Rip it
4. Profit!

I traded in my old one for the slim 'cse the old one was freezing up on me.

That's okay ... I've got plenty of games to keep me busy until the PS3 and Xbox2 come out (Halo2, GTA, GT4, Burnout3, SSX3, Madden, Halo).

MM
~~:D

Pants
03-28-2005, 08:42 AM
I traded in my old one for the slim 'cse the old one was freezing up on me.

That's okay ... I've got plenty of games to keep me busy until the PS3 and Xbox2 come out (Halo2, GTA, GT4, Burnout3, SSX3, Madden, Halo).

MM

So do you, too, prefer PS2 over Xbox?

jcroft
03-28-2005, 08:59 AM
All my cunts are of the S variety. Like PS2 except more comfortable. I can't stand the biggie ones either, but they were perfect for Halo.

"Cunts?" That's a new nickname for a controller (at least it's new to me).

Mark M
03-28-2005, 09:13 AM
So do you, too, prefer PS2 over Xbox?

They both have their strengths and weaknesses ...

Xbox has great graphics and quicker load times, and the ability to make your own soundtrack is a huge plus. For example Burnout3 has the worst ... soundtrack ... ever. It's much better with Pantera, Metallica, Ministry, etc. :D

The PS2 still has more games, better control in sports games and can be used as a DVD player without buying anything extra. Plus, I can take my saved games over to a friends house via the memory card (i.e. Madden profile).

I don't play online, so that's not a consideration. And if I did, the fact that Sony's is free (compared with $40 for Xbox) is nice.

Basically, they both get about the same use at my house. And since I just moved the computer upstairs, once I get a better video card that will be thrown in the mix as well (for games like CivIII, Myst, etc.).

MM

Pants
03-28-2005, 09:17 AM
"Cunts?" That's a new nickname for a controller (at least it's new to me).

You know you like it.

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Basically, they both get about the same use at my house. And since I just moved the computer upstairs, once I get a better video card that will be thrown in the mix as well (for games like CivIII, Myst, etc.).

MM
I use my PS2 for sports games, and thats about it.

My PC is my primary gaming machine, but even then I don't game too much. BTW, Civ 4 is scheduled to come out sometime this summer. :)

Mark M
03-28-2005, 09:23 AM
BTW, Civ 4 is scheduled to come out sometime this summer. :)

Hell, I haven't even figured out the 3rd one ...

of course, I've played for all of about 2 hours. Maybe that has something to do with it.

MM
~~:)

Saulbadguy
03-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Hell, I haven't even figured out the 3rd one ...

of course, I've played for all of about 2 hours. Maybe that has something to do with it.

MM
~~:)
Ah..well, if you ever get in to it and have questions, lemme know. Its a great time consumer (waster). :D

Mark M
03-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Ah..well, if you ever get in to it and have questions, lemme know. Its a great time consumer (waster). :D
I've just never played anything like it. There just seems like there's too much to do and I can't do it quickly enough. I'm a relatively smart guy and all, but the damn thing is awfully complicated.

I'm much better at killing 30 gang members with an AK-47 in under 2 minutes.

MM

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Man, when are you losers going to grow up and stop playing video games?

Mark M
03-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Man, when are you losers going to grow up and stop playing video games?

About the same time you get laid again ... by a woman ... who's alive ... and didn't charge you for it.

MM
~~:p

J Diddy
03-28-2005, 11:39 AM
About the same time you get laid again ... by a woman ... who's alive ... and didn't charge you for it.

MM
~~:p

ROFL

:clap:

keg in kc
03-28-2005, 12:34 PM
About the same time you get laid again ... by a woman ... who's alive ... and didn't charge you for it.They all charge you for it, man, one way or another.

Mark M
03-28-2005, 12:36 PM
They all charge you for it, man, one way or another.
Excellent point ...

MM
~~ROFL

htismaqe
03-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Since I have gotten used to the XBox S controller, I can honestly say it's BETTER than the PS2, even for sports games.

I've gone back and played some PS2 games like Baldur's Gate II and the PS2 controller feels very awkward and small.