PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with your time if

UTChief
03-29-2005, 09:28 AM
You were in an acident that left you paralized and confined to a weelchair, you are able to work and have a great family and still are verry active.

Fast forward 10 years and you can't continue the routine of your job because of fatige and pain so you half to take medical leave that is permanant (basicly retire at 38) Buy the way my job was verry easy, Your insurance policy only payes you 65% of your salery until 65 and you keep all your bennifits and you cant suplament income with a part time job or they subtract dollar for dollar you would be working for free.

The reason I am asking is this has hapened to me I have been not working since Jan 13 2005 and some days I get verry bored what are some serious sugestions to keep buisy, you can only spend so much time surfing the planet especialy when I don't post alot.
Keep in mind I took a big income cut and I can't make money.

Phobia
03-29-2005, 09:31 AM
You could work for a charity or other volunteer work. I know of a charity who could use your skills.

Rain Man
03-29-2005, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear, UTchief. At least you have some good insurance.

Like phobia said, volunteer work for a charity is a good way to keep active, and you can define your own hours.

If you don't have a lot of hobbies, you can still work, even if you're more or less working for free. That would stink, though. Maybe this is your great chance to become a world expert on something. Find something you like, research the living heck out of it, and then let the newspapers know that you're available for interviews. It could be fun.

UTChief
03-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I thought of that we have a food pantry hear that I'm going to look in to.

Phobia
03-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Maybe you can find "work" for someone who will pay for your home office, computer, ISP, and other job related expenses without it being considered income.

Phobia
03-29-2005, 09:40 AM
What if your wife started a home based business and you donated your time to helping her?

CosmicPal
03-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Go back to school.

Check with your Department of Human Services- most, if not all states, will pay for your schooling since you are disabled. Best of all, they pay for it up front. Since you are disabled- you need no money to get a degree or even advance your degree.

BTW- I'm terribly sorry to hear of your situation...

But, you need to look at your disability and see the positive in it. The only true disability in life is being dead.

Learn some computer skills, multimedia, web design, etc. Research the fields of employments that don't require a person to stand;and make a conscious decision to make it your life's goal. Enrich yourself with your freedom and learn something new.

UTChief
03-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Maybe you can find "work" for someone who will pay for your home office, computer, ISP, and other job related expenses without it being considered income.

I was trying to think of somthing I could do at home and have it in my wifes name Or somone pay me under the table but that isn't verry ethical

UTChief
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Go back to school.

Check with your Department of Human Services- most, if not all states, will pay for your schooling since you are disabled. Best of all, they pay for it up front. Since you are disabled- you need no money to get a degree or even advance your degree.

BTW- I'm terribly sorry to hear of your situation...

But, you need to look at your disability and see the positive in it. The only true disability in life is being dead.

Learn some computer skills, multimedia, web design, etc. Research the fields of employments that don't require a person to stand;and make a conscious decision to make it your life's goal. Enrich yourself with your freedom and learn something new.

I did check into a web design clas that is starting april 5 I think I will go to I never was that good in school But its worth a try.

Phobia
03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
I was trying to think of somthing I could do at home and have it in my wifes name Or somone pay me under the table but that isn't verry ethical

You know what isn't very ethical? Reducing a disabled person's income and leaving them unable to augment in other ways. That's unethical, IMO. If you were to build a business in your wife's name, that's just taking advantage of opportunities available to you.

Do you want to make the missing money legally or are you simply looking for something to keep you busy?

PHOG
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
You know what isn't very ethical? Reducing a disabled person's income and leaving them unable to augment in other ways. That's unethical, IMO. If you were to build a business in your wife's name, that's just taking advantage of opportunities available to you.

Do you want to make the missing money legally or are you simply looking for something to keep you busy?

That's damn near spot on what I was going to say...

UTChief
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM

Both To keep buisy and make a litte extra.

ChiTown
03-29-2005, 09:57 AM

Right on. That's just a fn bs rule.

Let's help people out without holding them down. Hell, they should allow you to supplement up to the level you were making, plus cost of living increases. What a crock.

Sorry to hear about this UT, and best of luck.

CosmicPal
03-29-2005, 10:00 AM
I did check into a web design clas that is starting april 5 I think I will go to I never was that good in school But its worth a try.

There's no time like the right time.

Good luck to you.