PDA

View Full Version : Roster set for opening day

beavis
03-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Link (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050329&content_id=979840&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc)

Royals trim down roster to 25 players
Pickering opens season April 4 in the cleanup spot at DH
By Dick Kaegel / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Calvin Pickering was declared the winner over Ken Harvey for a designated hitter/first base spot as the Royals whittled their roster to 25 players Tuesday.
Pickering, a hulking left-handed hitter, will open the season April 4 at Detroit in the cleanup spot as the DH.

Harvey, a 2004 All-Star Game selection, was optioned to Triple-A Omaha.

Emil Brown, a non-roster longshot when camp began, won the right-field derby over Abraham Nunez and Aaron Guiel.

Brown had a .409 average, four homers and 16 RBIs when he was summoned into manager Tony Pena's office to receive the good news.

Guiel was reassigned to the minor league camp and Nunez was put on hold pending being placed on waivers.

As expected, right-hander Denny Bautista was confirmed as the No. 5 starter over left-hander Jimmy Gobble, who was optioned to Omaha.

Bautista joins Jose Lima, Runelvys Hernandez, Zack Greinke and Brian Anderson in the rotation.

Right-hander Kyle Snyder was optioned to Omaha where the one-time starter will continue to pitch in relief.

That cleared the way for a bullpen cast of Mike Wood, Shawn Camp, Nate Field, Jaime Cerda, Mike MacDougal, Andrew Sisco and closer Jeremy Affeldt.

Pena confirmed that Ruben Gotay will be the second baseman and rookie Mark Teahen will be the third baseman alongside shortstop Angel Berroa.

Tony Graffanino, who came to camp as the projected second base, will be the reserve infielder. That means that Denny Hocking and Joe McEwing will be reassigned.

The demotion of Harvey means that team captain Mike Sweeney will play first base most of the time. He'll be backed up defensively by Eli Marrero, and Pickering will play there occasionally.

Marrero and Terrence Long will be platooned in left field. On the other side of center fielder David DeJesus, Matt Stairs will share time with Brown in right field.

The catching is set with John Buck as the regular and Alberto Castillo as the backup.

Pitchers Chris George and Dennis Tankersley, like Nunez, are out of options and are headed for the waiver wire.

Infielder Chris Clapinski, who is out for the season with an elbow injury, was reassigned to the minor league camp. Pitcher Scott Sullivan (back) and third baseman Chris Truby (wrist) will be placed on the disabled list.

Pitcher Kevin Appier announced he'd retire if he didn't get a job offer in the next two days.

siberian khatru
03-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Tankersley was the nice add-on in the Long-for-May swap, yet really didn't get an opportunity in camp and now could be lost on waivers. Strange. He's been a major butthead in the past, wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Feel bad for Snyder. He's finally healthy and he had a great spring. He's probably better than Nate Field, but Field did fine this spring, too, and pitched fairly well last year. Hope to see Kyle back up soon.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or waiver pickup of an OF in the next 2-3 days. I see a lot of names being bandied about.

ChiTown
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
That works for me. Not murderers row, but it has enough youth in the lineup to keep me interested.

keg in kc
03-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Calvin Pickering was declared the winner over Ken Harvey for a designated hitter/first base spot as the Royals whittled their roster to 25 players Tuesday.Kaegel's kinder than I am. My opening would've read something like this:

After it became apparent that neither player had the requisite skill to win the battle of attrition that waged throughout the spring, the Royals asked disappointing first basemen Calvin Pickering and Ken Harvey to draw straws.

Harvey drew the short one, earning a bus ride to Omaha.

siberian khatru
03-29-2005, 01:35 PM
That works for me. Not murderers row, but it has enough youth in the lineup to keep me interested.

I know it's a risky sink-or-swim situation with the kids, but honestly, I'd rather watch Teahen and Gotay try to make it than guys like Truby and Graffy keep their places warm. Hope they can handle it.

beavis
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Tankersley was the nice add-on in the Long-for-May swap, yet really didn't get an opportunity in camp and now could be lost on waivers. Strange. He's been a major butthead in the past, wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Feel bad for Snyder. He's finally healthy and he had a great spring. He's probably better than Nate Field, but Field did fine this spring, too, and pitched fairly well last year. Hope to see Kyle back up soon.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see a trade or waiver pickup of an OF in the next 2-3 days. I see a lot of names being bandied about.
The one time I heard Tankersley on the radio, he got shelled. But I guess someone is probably going to pick him up. I'd like to sneak him down to Omaha and see what they can salvage out of him.

Snyder will be back up soon. As soon as someone goes down/gets traded. Dude was having a solid spring. I hope he finally stays healthy for an entire year.

I'd like to see them pick up somebody, but I don't know who it would be. Baird needs to pull off some kind of trade.

Also nice to see they finally gave up on George. What a turd.

ChiTown
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Kaegel's kinder than I am. My opening would've read something like this:

After it became apparent that neither player had the requisite skill to win the battle of attrition that waged throughout the spring, the Royals asked disappointing first basemen Calvin Pickering and Ken Harvey to draw straws.

LMAO. Very true.

That said, I still like the fact that we actually will have some punch in the lineup opposite Sweeney (either at 1b or dh). Harvey swings a nice whiffle ball bat, but those soft bouncers up the middle just don't get it done with men on base.

beavis
03-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Kaegel's kinder than I am. My opening would've read something like this:

Pretty much. ROFL

keg in kc
03-29-2005, 01:41 PM
LMAO. Very true.

That said, I still like the fact that we actually will have some punch in the lineup opposite Sweeney (either at 1b or dh). Harvey swings a nice whiffle ball bat, but those soft bouncers up the middle just don't get it done with men on base.We'll see how we feel after his 100th strikeout. In April.

Sweeney's who I really want to get rid of. I think I've had enough of him. He's a hole at 1st base, and that's just too much to dish out for a DH. Not to mention the injuries. He's a nice guy, good in the community, yada, yada, yada, I know, but I'd like to find someone who can actually hit and field.

KChiefs1
03-29-2005, 01:44 PM
Pitchers Chris George and Dennis Tankersley, like Nunez, are out of options and are headed for the waiver wire.

I remember when they were comparing George to Tom Glavine a few years back! :banghead:

beavis
03-29-2005, 01:47 PM
I remember when they were comparing George to Tom Glavine a few years back! :banghead:
Those kind of comparisons really piss me off. Hansen is really bad about it too.

keg in kc
03-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Those kind of comparisons really piss me off. Hansen is really bad about it too.We have two maddux's and a Glavine on the roster now, along with Bautista who has the best stuff EVER!

beavis
03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
We have two maddux's and a Glavine on the roster now, along with Bautista who has the best stuff EVER!
Yeah, talk about putting unreasonable expectations on someone. I think it's going to be boom or bust with Hansen.

Pitt Gorilla
03-29-2005, 02:08 PM
I can't see anyone picking up George. Tankersly and Nunez might be gone, though. Does a team have to put them on their 40-man roster to sign them? Aren't they still on our 40-man roster? How does this work?

beavis
03-29-2005, 02:11 PM
I can't see anyone picking up George. Tankersly and Nunez might be gone, though. Does a team have to put them on their 40-man roster to sign them? Aren't they still on our 40-man roster? How does this work?
I know they are out of options, which is why they have to clear waivers if they were to come back to us. tk would probably know that answer to that.

The only one I'd even want them to consider bringing back is Tankersley. I think there is some raw talent there if they could ever figure out a way to get him to use it.

bsp4444
03-29-2005, 02:17 PM
From what I've read, Snyder is just going to Omaha to get his pitch count up. Then he will be available in case of an injury or (and this would be my preference) we trade Brian Anderson for a power hitting corner outfielder.

cookster50
03-29-2005, 02:27 PM
From what I've read, Snyder is just going to Omaha to get his pitch count up. Then he will be available in case of an injury or (and this would be my preference) we trade Brian Anderson for a power hitting corner outfielder.

Maybe the Cards will trade BA for Pujols?

Seriously, what do you expect for BA? A real ML starting OF? Not gonna happen my friends. Wake up to the real world.

keg in kc
03-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Well, we did trade Grimsley for Bautista last year. So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility we could get something for Anderson if he has a bounce-back first half.

ChiTown
03-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Maybe the Cards will trade BA for Pujols?

Seriously, what do you expect for BA? A real ML starting OF? Not gonna happen my friends. Wake up to the real world.

Agreed.

We'd be lucky to get a decent OF prospect for BA at this point.

Pitt Gorilla
03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
I know they are out of options, which is why they have to clear waivers if they were to come back to us. tk would probably know that answer to that.

The only one I'd even want them to consider bringing back is Tankersley. I think there is some raw talent there if they could ever figure out a way to get him to use it.I figured it out. Another team would have to put these guys on their 25 man roster, which I can't believe any team would do. I suppose Nunez would make SOMEONE's 25 (he made ours last year), I just can't see anyone using a spot on George or Tank.

beavis
03-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I figured it out. Another team would have to put these guys on their 25 man roster, which I can't believe any team would do. I suppose Nunez would make SOMEONE's 25 (he made ours last year), I just can't see anyone using a spot on George or Tank.
I don't either, but you never know. That's essentially what we are doing to keep Sisco here.

OmahaChief
03-29-2005, 06:16 PM
Very happy with the way the roster panned out. I have never been a big fan of harvey. For one he is a former Husker and after that fact he got a lot of junk hits and at the same time grounded into DPs at the worst possible time. I would rather have Big Calvin swinging for the fences then watch another year of the singles hitter Harvey attempt to be a middle of the order guy. As for Pick he does have a good eye as well.

As for the staff. Tank is/was like Nuke in Bull Durham. I know a guy that has coached him and he said he has all the talent in the world but his each is so far up his ass it is unreal. Synder is coming to Omaha for the pitch coount reasons as stated before and they want to get him regular work to strengthen the arm. Releiving in KC could have been too spotty.

That outfield battle was an interesting one. I know for me Guiel was a favorite but Brown light it up this spring. I have no problem going with Brown. It would be nice to get Nunez here in Omaha and let him work on his new swing at the minor league level. He is still young enough to do something. Where does Guiel go from here, he is a fighter and wish him the best.

I hated the freakin Truby pick up. Although his minor league numbers last year were nice I wanted Teahan to get the job and learn on the fly. Hell we already expect to lose a crap load of games as Royals fans at least lose with the feuture.

I am excited about the season. Win or lose I am Royal Blue!

It's Lima Time Baby, Believe It!

DanT
03-29-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the roster. It's good that Harvey will be getting his singles and turning put-outs into hits for the other side down in Omaha. The only time I want to see a first baseman hopping around gratuitiously is after he hits a homer, not when he's catching what should be an assist.

eazyb81
03-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Do any of you guys think Brown can hold up at RF the whole season? Granted, he has had a great spring, but I am not sure that he will be able to continue his success at a regular level once the season starts. Also, will Brown be the regular starter in RF, or will he platoon with Stairs? Two outfield platoons would be interesting, I wonder how they will work out.

Archie F. Swin
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
First of all..Thanks "Ape" for years of consistency. Glad you got to be on a World Series team even if it wasn't with the Royals.

Congrats to E. Brown, good work.

All the hype about Chris George a year ago, "wha' hapenned?" Why has his Royals "legacy" already ended? He was supposed to represent the future of the team.

It gonna be wierd watching this team on TV and not seeing the familiar faces of Beltran, "Joker" Randa, Harvey and Guiel, but they didn't get us any closer to the post season last season.

Remember last season when Harvey hit what appeared to be a homerun late in a game that was called foul after the umps thought about it for a while. Then, after a 5 minute delay, Harvey return to the plate only to crank an undisputed homer? Classic! I liked Ken even though he wasn't very consistent.

I hope Elvys has a good season and Mac finds his stuff again. Let's hope Jeremy has some caluses(sp?) instead of blisters.

It's nice to know we have a slugger at catcher again.

I expect this team to be a bottom feeder again, but we can dream can't we?

tk13
03-30-2005, 02:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11261427.htm

Pickering is picked as Royals set roster

Power potential puts him on 25-man roster ahead of 2004 All-Star

By BOB DUTTON The Kansas City Star

SURPRISE, Ariz. — The intimidation that Calvin Pickering brings to the lineup proved too hard for the Royals to resist Tuesday in selecting their 25-man roster for the upcoming season.

“The thing we see in Pickering,” manager Tony Peña said, “is that he's willing to be a threat. He works the count better than anybody and puts himself in position to hit. Plus, he supplies power.”

The threat of power, anyway.

Pickering's spring performance was far heavier on threat than actual production, but that threat was sufficient for him to emerge as the winner in his camp-long battle with Ken Harvey.

“Deep down,” Pickering said, “I thought I was going down. I know the situation. Harvey was an All-Star last season, and he had been here the year before. He's shown he can do well up here.

“It's crazy. That's how baseball is. You don't know what's going to happen.”

The Royals optioned Harvey to Class AAA Omaha, Neb., in a series of personnel moves geared toward shaping their roster for Monday's season opener in Detroit.

“It's a business decision,” he said. “I'll just have to do what I can do.”

The club also optioned pitchers Jimmy Gobble and Kyle Snyder to Omaha.

Outfielder Aaron Guiel, infielder Chris Clapinski and right-hander Kevin Appier were reassigned to minor-league camp.

Appier said he plans to retire if he is unable to secure a big-league job with another club within the next day or two. Clapinski will miss the entire season after suffering a torn flexor pronator group in his right elbow.

The moves, in effect, finalized the 25-man roster even though the Royals still have 32 players in big-league camp.

The club plans to place right-hander Scott Sullivan and third baseman Chris Truby on the disabled list before the season starts and intends to outright outfielder Abraham Nuñez, left-hander Chris George and right-hander Dennis Tankersley to the minors if they clear waivers.

The Royals also chose to keep veteran utilitymen Denny Hocking and Joe McEwing in camp for now as a precaution. Both will be given the option of reporting to Omaha or becoming free agents if Tony Graffanino is judged ready to play when the season starts.

The moves confirmed a place on the roster for journeyman outfielder Emil Brown, who is projected for platoon duty in right field with Matt Stairs after beating out Nuñez and Guiel.

“It came down,” general manager Allard Baird said, “to what Emil Brown did from day one.”

Brown, 30, was far more productive than Guiel or Nuñez, who entered camp as the club's incumbent in right field. Even so, Brown remained steeled for disappointment after being the Cardinals' final cut in 2004.

“When they told me,” he said, “I didn't even know how to react. Because you can be thinking one thing, and they can be thinking another.”

Peña confirmed his rotation will consist of Jose Lima, Runelvys Hernandez, Zack Greinke, Denny Bautista and Brian Anderson. The seven-man bullpen is Jeremy Affeldt, Shawn Camp, Jaime Cerda, Nate Field, Mike MacDougal, Andrew Sisco and Mike Wood.

Peña also confirmed his infield will have two rookie starters in second baseman Ruben Gotay and third baseman Mark Teahen. First baseman Mike Sweeney and shortstop Angel Berroa are the other starters. Pickering will spend most of his time at designated hitter, while Graffanino, if healthy, will fill the utility role.

David DeJesus will be the center fielder, but platoons are projected for both corner posts: Terrence Long and Eli Marrero in left, and Brown and Stairs in right.

“This was one of the toughest days I've had as a manager in my 2 1/2 years,” Peña said. “This organization never had the opportunity before to make decisions that were this tough. These were tough decisions.”

Peña and Baird each cited Snyder as someone who deserved to make the roster.

“But that's a good thing,” Baird said. “That says a lot about our young players and the competition in camp.”

Neither Pickering nor Harvey had a productive camp. Pickering entered Tuesday's game against the Angels with a .222 average. Harvey was batting .238.

“When they told me,” Pickering said, “I thought, ‘This is crazy.' I couldn't believe it. It was like, ‘What? Are you kidding me?' ”

The demotion was a bitter pill for Harvey, who spent the last two years in the big leagues and served as the Royals' sole representative at the 2004 All-Star Game.

Harvey left the complex after learning the news. He is allowed 48 hours under baseball's labor rules before he must report to Omaha.

“It had more to do with the profile of the club than anything else,” Baird said. “In Harv's case, it's going to take a few days for him to get over this. Understandably so.

“I can say this: If I was in his shoes, I'd be upset, too. That does not surprise me. That does not disturb me. My concern is to get him over that.

“We want him to go down there and be in position to come back and help the major-league club at some point.”

Oxford
03-30-2005, 11:26 AM
I see Emil and Cal in the same light. Career Minor league guys that for many reasons didnt get their shot. Well now it's here. Spring Training is one thing, but when the lights are on for real is another.

Remember Kevin Lockhart? He was the same kind of guy, got a shot with the Royals and had a solid major league career. As for Harvey and Guiel, both of them have to do what is needed to force themselves back onto the major league roster (someones roster).

As for BA and Lima, I hope they pitch lights out so when the trade deadline approaches, Allard will have some ammunition with which to deal, or will need to acquire players if we are still in it.

beavis
03-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Here's the lineup, can't believe Gotay is hitting second.

David DeJesus, CF
Ruben Gotay, 2B
Mike Sweeney, 1B
Calvin Pickering, DH
Matt Stairs, RF
Angel Berroa, SS
Terrence Long, LF
John Buck, C
Mark Teahen, 3B

tk13
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Here's the lineup, can't believe Gotay is hitting second.

David DeJesus, CF
Ruben Gotay, 2B
Mike Sweeney, 1B
Calvin Pickering, DH
Matt Stairs, RF
Angel Berroa, SS
Terrence Long, LF
John Buck, C
Mark Teahen, 3B
I like it, it allows Gotay to be protected by Sweeney, and I think Berroa is going to have a bounce-back year. Lost in all the other discussion is that Berroa had a really good spring. Although, I can see there being days where Long/Buck/Teahen are getting more done than the middle third of Pickering/Stairs/Berroa.

Bowser
03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I like it, it allows Gotay to be protected by Sweeney, and I think Berroa is going to have a bounce-back year. Lost in all the other discussion is that Berroa had a really good spring. Although, I can see there being days where Long/Buck/Teahen are getting more done than the middle third of Pickering/Stairs/Berroa.

Buck looked to be getting the hang of it at the plate towards the end of the year. Let's just hope it continues.....

beavis
03-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Yeah, you're right on all accounts. Gotay hitting second is basically a necessity I guess. I just figured knowing Pena, he'd have Berroa towards the top of the lineup. I actually like him hitting in the bottom third of the order.