PDA

View Full Version : We can't trade our third...HOWEVER?!

Lancetastic
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Is it possible that the Dolphins could dictate who they would want picked at this position and then afterwards, the rights to this player are traded for Surtain? I apologize if this idea has been brought up, but I was curious if this was at all possible.

Pants
03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
It's a really good idea, however - it has already been brought up.

melbar
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
By the way I dont know if any certainty was found on the subject but I posted recently that NFL Total Access said that indeed we Can trade our new 3rd.

C-Mac
03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
By the way I dont know if any certainty was found on the subject but I posted recently that NFL Total Access said that indeed we Can trade our new 3rd.

I got lambasted for sharing such thoughts because I too had read somewhere that you can trade compensated picks.
But regardless, all the "authentic" and "authorized" websites and writers discussing this subject verify that you cannot trade such picks.

HolmeZz
03-29-2005, 10:22 PM
It's possible. I mentioned it a day or two ago.

Lancetastic
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Sorry about that! I can't keep up with every thread about Surtain, but I thought this might have been an idea worth mentioning.

jspchief
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
There's one major flaw with the "just pick who Miami wants" idea:

We have to sign the player to a contract before we can trade him. That means any signing bonus would hit our cap. Also, if we couldn't work a deal, we'd be stuck with a player we didn't necessarily want.

It's way too risky for any NFL to attempt it, especially the Chiefs

Manila-Chief
03-29-2005, 11:11 PM

We have to sign the player to a contract before we can trade him. That means any signing bonus would hit our cap. Also, if we couldn't work a deal, we'd be stuck with a player we didn't necessarily want.

Excuse me jspchief, I think drafting Miami's pick is a great idea, but not just for the 3rd. but for all our picks. Who knows we might actually wind up with quality players for once. Couldn't be much worse that what we have drafted, could it? :bravo: :LOL:

jspchief
03-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Excuse me jspchief, I think drafting Miami's pick is a great idea, but not just for the 3rd. but for all our picks. Who knows we might actually wind up with quality players for once. Couldn't be much worse that what we have drafted, could it? :bravo: :LOL:

I would think this was funny if it wasn't so true. :banghead::cuss:

Manila-Chief
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I meant it as a joke but there is too much truth to it to be real funny!!!!

The Bad Guy
03-29-2005, 11:20 PM

Schefter is full of shit.

King_Chief_Fan
03-30-2005, 07:10 AM

Hello Lou, Dick Vermeil here. Say I got a question for you. If your first pick was number 15 who would you pick if you were the Chiefs HC?

DeepSouth
03-30-2005, 09:12 AM

I don't remember the Chargers signing Manning before trading him to the Giants???

ROYC75
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't remember the Chargers signing Manning before trading him to the Giants???

That's because he wasn't.

ct
03-30-2005, 09:45 AM

Beat me to it, and you're right. Neither Eli Manning or Phillip Rivers were signed before the rights to this player were traded. This can be done without cap implications. The risk if the non-drafting team could shaft the drafting team, leaving them with a player they didn't choose for themselves.