PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth?

BigMeatballDave
03-30-2005, 04:07 AM
Could someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

Eleazar
03-30-2005, 06:05 AM
Just in case you're too cool for the $10 handsfree thing that works just fine.

Saulbadguy
03-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Bluetooth is a wireless protocol that was supposed to be BIG. Around this time, there were supposed to be all sorts of bluetooth compatible electronics coming out that would communicate with each other. It never took off fully.

htismaqe
03-30-2005, 09:34 AM
Bluetooth is a wireless protocol for "personal area networking".

I personally love it.

I have a bluetooth headset for talking on my VoIP soft client, and I use bluetooth to sync my iPaq with my PC...

Donger
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Could someone please clarify this for me. Thanks.

It's basically an RF technology that is designed to replaces cables. VERY short range; probably less than 25 feet in most applications.

For example, some cell phones have Bluetooth built-in and you can buy Bluetooth headsets. So, no need to have a cable from the cell phone to the headset.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 12:49 PM
It's basically an RF technology that is designed to replaces cables. VERY short range; probably less than 25 feet in most applications.

For example, some cell phones have Bluetooth built-in and you can buy Bluetooth headsets. So, no need to have a cable from the cell phone to the headset.

The spec itself is a 2.4Ghz RF signal so it can travel up to 100 meters easily.

The problem is that nobody is currently producing radios that can handle it. Practical range is around 30 feet.

Donger
04-01-2005, 12:59 PM
The spec itself is a 2.4Ghz RF signal so it can travel up to 100 meters easily.

The problem is that nobody is currently producing radios that can handle it. Practical range is around 30 feet.

30. 25.

Whatever it takes.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
30. 25.

Whatever it takes.

I saw some bluetooth walkie-talkies at a trade show...they worked from about 400 feet...

Donger
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
I saw some bluetooth walkie-talkies at a trade show...they worked from about 400 feet...

I throw out a superb Mr. Mom quote like that, and that's all I get?

Slacker.

As you probably know, their are three classes of Bluetooth radios: 1, 2 and 3. Class 1 has a power output of 100mW, so 100 meters is certainly doable. However, almost all Bluetooth gadgets are Class 3, which is only 1mW of power. That's the one that only does about 25 to 30 feet.

htismaqe
04-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I throw out a superb Mr. Mom quote like that, and that's all I get?

Slacker.

As you probably know, their are three classes of Bluetooth radios: 1, 2 and 3. Class 1 has a power output of 100mW, so 100 meters is certainly doable. However, almost all Bluetooth gadgets are Class 3, which is only 1mW of power. That's the one that only does about 25 to 30 feet.

Dude, Mr. Mom came out when I was a kid...I've probably smoked a couple of tons of ganj since then...

SBK
04-03-2005, 11:44 AM
The car I just got has bluetooth in it. I would think that it won't be long and all cars will have bluetooth available. It's dope.

For folks who don't know, I talk on the phone thru a mike in the car and hear the phone thru the radio speakers. My phonebook shows up on my radio screen, and when a call comes in the incoming phone number will show up on the radio screen as well. All the while my cell phone is in my pocket, or in the cupholder. Quite a nice feature, and probably a better safety feature than I give it credit for.

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 12:34 PM
30. 25.

Whatever it takes.
220, 221.

By far, my favorite performance by Keaton.

unlurking
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
The car I just got has bluetooth in it. I would think that it won't be long and all cars will have bluetooth available. It's dope.

For folks who don't know, I talk on the phone thru a mike in the car and hear the phone thru the radio speakers. My phonebook shows up on my radio screen, and when a call comes in the incoming phone number will show up on the radio screen as well. All the while my cell phone is in my pocket, or in the cupholder. Quite a nice feature, and probably a better safety feature than I give it credit for.
Cool! What model vehicle?

SBK
04-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Cool! What model vehicle?

325i

Iowanian
04-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Its used to Link GPS applications to map clients also. This allows People in the field to collect data while recieving real time map updates and feeding the data back to a server. I wasn't aware of the other uses mentioned.

unlurking
04-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Very cool.

Will have to start looking for this as an option next time I by a new vehicle.

SBK
04-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Very cool.

Will have to start looking for this as an option next time I by a new vehicle.

It's something worth looking into. I think in the next few years all cars will have it.

Donger
04-05-2005, 05:23 PM
220, 221.

By far, my favorite performance by Keaton.

Nah. My favorite was that movie with The Fonz and the gal from Cheers.