PDA

View Full Version : Bell and Knight Just Want To Fit In!

AirForceChief
03-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Chiefs' newcomers just want to fit in

Team sees Knight, Bell giving defense a much-needed lift

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Tuesday was almost like the first day at a different school for new Chiefs safety Sammy Knight. He was busy attaching names to the faces of new teammates at the opening session of the offseason conditioning program.

His path hadn't crossed those of incumbent starting safeties Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods, so his next order of business was to seek them out to defuse any possible hard feelings over his recent free-agent signing.

“I definitely plan to talk to them,” Knight said. “I haven't had the chance to talk to them. I'm just looking to come in here and help everybody improve and get better. If all of us work hard, there's no reason why all three of us can't be out there at the same time.

“Jerome Woods is an excellent player. So is Greg Wesley. I look forward to working with those guys. Hopefully all of us will get better.”

The Chiefs signed Knight, an eight-year starter with New Orleans and Miami, to take the job of either Wesley or Woods. Coach Dick Vermeil named Knight as the starting strong safety almost immediately after his acquisition and said Wesley and Woods could compete to be the starter at free safety.

The Chiefs envision Knight being what neither Wesley nor Woods was last season: a big hitter and playmaker at safety. Knight, at 6 feet and 205 pounds, isn't big or fast.

But the Chiefs like his knack for winding up around the ball and many times taking it from his opponent. Knight did that well enough in 2001 with New Orleans (six interceptions, five fumble recoveries) to be named to the Pro Bowl.

His 35 interceptions and 11 fumble recoveries since arriving in the NFL are highest in the league. That's an appetizing statistic to the Chiefs, who created fewer turnovers than all but four other teams last season.

“He said he sat down and watched a lot of film before coming here,” cornerback Eric Warfield said. “He thought he could come in and do a lot to help our secondary out. He's a Pro Bowl player, so he has a lot to bring to this defense.”

That's why the Chiefs, unhappy with both of their safeties last season, made Knight a priority to sign once free agency started.

“I don't ever look at having a starting job,” Knight said. “Anywhere I've ever been I've always looked at going in and being the best player I can be and letting the chips fall where they may. Hopefully, I'll come out on top.”

The Chiefs are asking much from Knight and linebacker Kendrell Bell, their other free-agent addition. Both are expected to be leaders in a hoped-for defensive transition from laughingstock to productive unit.

“Looking at this defense play, there's a lot of good players,” Knight said. “It's just a matter of getting everybody on the same page and getting everybody comfortable with playing with one another. A defense is not (11) individuals. It's playing as one unit, and that's what this defense needs is to play as a unit and they'll be vastly improved.”

Bell indicated he was comfortable with the expectations.

“I feel no pressure,” he said. “(Being in) the league is pressure. There's no assurance you'll be here the next day. There's enough pressure right there to keep you motivated. So I'm just coming here to do what I know how to do, and that's win.”

Bell missed most of last season with Pittsburgh because of a sports hernia. Sources indicated the New York Giants, who were initially interested in signing Bell, backed off over concerns about arthritis in his shoulder.

Bell said neither injury would present a problem for him.

“I'm feeling great,” he said. “If we had a game (today), I'd go play.”

The Chiefs haven't been specific publicly about their plans for Bell, but he will probably wind up as their starting middle linebacker.

“I figure I could play any position as a linebacker in that defense,” he said. “I'm comfortable with whatever position they put me in.''

To reach Adam Teicher,

AirForceChief
03-30-2005, 08:00 AM
“I definitely plan to talk to them,” Knight said. “I haven't had the chance to talk to them. I'm just looking to come in here and help everybody improve and get better. If all of us work hard, there's no reason why all three of us can't be out there at the same time."

So what defensive alignment has three safties on the field...one playing the nickel back, I guess?

Rain Man
03-30-2005, 08:02 AM
I don't want them to fit in with the #31 defense. I want them to stand out like a beacon of hope.

RedNFeisty
03-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Screw fitting in and getting along. These guys were brought in to fill a need. I want to see them take over and tell the others that they were not getting the job done and to screw off.

Duck Dog
03-30-2005, 08:24 AM
“I figure I could play any position as a linebacker in that defense,” he said. “I'm comfortable with whatever position they put me in.''

Understatement of the year. He could have probably played CB too.

DaWolf
03-30-2005, 08:29 AM
“I definitely plan to talk to them,” Knight said. “I haven't had the chance to talk to them. I'm just looking to come in here and help everybody improve and get better. If all of us work hard, there's no reason why all three of us can't be out there at the same time."

So what defensive alignment has three safties on the field...one playing the nickel back, I guess?

One that excels in missing tackles and blowing coverages...

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
I like this article.

StcChief
03-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Fit in they will. The just raised the bar.

The others or going to have to step up and start making plays or it's Adios.

Chief Henry
03-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Screw fitting in and getting along. These guys were brought in to fill a need. I want to see them take over and tell the others that they were not getting the job done and to screw off.

rep

Lzen
03-30-2005, 09:04 AM
“I don't ever look at having a starting job,” Knight said. “Anywhere I've ever been I've always looked at going in and being the best player I can be and letting the chips fall where they may. Hopefully, I'll come out on top.”

Greg Wesley can learn a lot from this guy. :thumb:

the Talking Can
03-30-2005, 09:08 AM
I want them to beat up all the pansies on our defense.

Screw fitting in with Bartee and Hicks. THEY ARE LOSERS! STAY AWAY FROM THEM!

AirForceChief
03-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I want them to beat up all the pansies on our defense.

You do realize that could take a lot out of the off season program...that's a lot of work before camp starts...so many ass whoopings, so little time!

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2005, 10:54 AM
I think Knight is bigger than Teicher is giving him credit for. IIRC he's usually 215-220 lbs. during the season.

Mr. Laz
03-30-2005, 10:59 AM
i bet woods ends up being our nickleback

Pants
03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
"Bell and Knight Just Want To Fit In!"

No they don't... :shake:

keg in kc
03-30-2005, 11:14 AM
i bet woods ends up being our nicklebackGod help us all.

CosmicPal
03-30-2005, 11:18 AM
God help us all.

And Bartee would be better? :shrug:

BigChiefFan
03-30-2005, 11:23 AM
i bet woods ends up being our nickleback
I've thought the same thing before, but I've reconsidered that stance. I think he makes too much money to be a back-up.

whoman69
03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Fitting in are not their words, they're Teicher's. Knight talks of making the defense a unit.
“Looking at this defense play, there's a lot of good players,” Knight said. “It's just a matter of getting everybody on the same page and getting everybody comfortable with playing with one another. A defense is not (11) individuals. It's playing as one unit, and that's what this defense needs is to play as a unit and they'll be vastly improved.”

keg in kc
03-30-2005, 11:53 AM
And Bartee would be better?That's like saying suicide by slitting your wrists would be preferable to drinking drain-o.

htismaqe
03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
Fitting in are not their words, they're Teicher's. Knight talks of making the defense a unit.

Yep.

Knight is talking about being the leader and having everyone else meld with him, not the other way around.

htismaqe
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
That's like saying suicide by slitting your wrists would be preferable to drinking drain-o.

I don't know, the last time Woods lined up at NCB, he had two game saving/winning INT returns for TD's and we were like 6-0.

keg in kc
03-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I don't know, the last time Woods lined up at NCB, he had two game saving/winning INT returns for TD's and we were like 6-0.Yeah, well, the last time maSLOWski lined up at MLB we were 9-0. I don't buy it with him and I don't buy it with Woods. He looked absolutely awful at nickel.

Chan93lx50
03-30-2005, 12:52 PM
Coach Dick Vermeil named Knight as the starting strong safety almost immediately after his acquisition and said Wesley and Woods could compete to be the starter at free safety.

Wow, never heard Dick say anything like that before? Gun must have showed him some tape on how bad our pansy Safties have been playing.

Too bad he would not do this with Hicks!

Rausch
03-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah, well, the last time maSLOWski lined up at MLB we were 9-0. I don't buy it with him and I don't buy it with Woods. He looked absolutely awful at nickel.

Which is probably why we signed a strong safety. There was just too much suck going on last year to tell who was just lacking game and who was suffering due to someone else.

Improve every position.

htismaqe
03-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, well, the last time maSLOWski lined up at MLB we were 9-0. I don't buy it with him and I don't buy it with Woods. He looked absolutely awful at nickel.

Woosh...right over your head.

My comment about Woods was a sarcastic shot at the "9-0 with Maz" crowd...

tk13
03-30-2005, 01:37 PM
Woosh...right over your head.

My comment about Woods was a sarcastic shot at the "9-0 with Maz" crowd...
You can just say "tk13", I don't think anybody else is making that argument.... :)