PDA

View Full Version : Just found out I'm seeing "Sunshine Superman" Donovan

Nzoner
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Already mentioned in another thread I was taking the mrs to see John Mellencamp this weekend,however,since I bought the tickets from a friend I didn't know much about the show and just finished checking out Mellencamp's site and found this.

Folk and rock’s legendary Donovan, who has rarely toured in recent years, will be featured as a special guest on these Words & Music Tour dates. He’ll be performing his own set that includes many of his best known songs – “Sunshine Superman,“ “Hurdy Gurdy Man,” “Wear Your Love Like Heaven,“ Season of the Witch” – and will also join Mellencamp for a special onstage collaboration.

I expect most of you youngins may not be familiar with Donovan but I'm really looking forward to this show now.

Here's a link if anyone's interested in the other tour dates. (http://www.mellencamp.com/tour.htm)

ptlyon
03-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Nzoner - you going to the one in Omaha Friday?

I will be there too.

Nzoner
03-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Nzoner - you going to the one in Omaha Friday?

I will be there too.

Yep,maybe we can have a beer together.

ptlyon
03-30-2005, 02:42 PM
Sweet - I'll smoke you.

Here is the report from the first concert in Savanah:

Song List:
Small Town
Human Wheels
Key West Intermezzo
Minutes To Memories
Lonely Ol’ Night

Sit down portion of the set:
Rain On The Scarecrow
Walk Tall
Paper In Fire
Big Daddy Of Them All
Authority Song

Donovan set backed by Mellencamp band:
Sunshine Superman (John sings whole song with Donovan)
Hurdy Gurdy Man
Love Floats
Barabajagal
Season Of The Witch
Lalena
Atlantis
Mellow Yellow

John and Band Returns:
I Need A Lover
Jack and Diane
What If I Came Knocking
Crumbling Down
ROCK In The USA/Little Latin Lupie Lu
Hurts So Good
Pink Houses

Encore
Band Introductions
Ain’t Even Done With The Night
Check It Out

So the show was awesome, I don’t mean awesome in that it is so great to see John live playing all of his great songs. It was AWESOME! It was great in that it was just a wild ass rock and roll show. The crowd was great, the venue was pretty darn packed. By the time the last set started after Donovan the place went nuts. Those were some slick floors from all the spilled drinks. They were a loud singing and dancing crowd as well. I was very impressed with the crowd.

John was on the top of his game, really rolling with the show, doing some unexpected vamps and part changes in the songs. He did quite a bit of talking compared to recent tours. The band is so sharp they just roll right on along with it all. Donovan is great, those songs are just legendary and the Mellencamp band does those so well. Wait til you hear Season Of The Witch and Mellow Yellow live, wow.

All in all I think it was a great opening to the tour. Personal favorites were I Need A Lover. When you hear this version it is just like, wow, how in the world have we not played this song like this before. For me it just blows the roof off of the joint. Ain’t Even Done is a great song for the end of the show. ROCK’s medley this year is a blast and Authority Song was just great with this vocal crowd.

Nzoner
03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
Sweet - I'll smoke you.

Here is the report from the first concert in Savanah:

Song List:
Small Town
Human Wheels
Key West Intermezzo
Minutes To Memories
Lonely Ol’ Night

Sit down portion of the set:
Rain On The Scarecrow
Walk Tall
Paper In Fire
Big Daddy Of Them All
Authority Song

Donovan set backed by Mellencamp band:
Sunshine Superman (John sings whole song with Donovan) Hurdy Gurdy Man Love Floats Barabajagal Season Of The Witch Lalena Atlantis Mellow Yellow

John and Band Returns:
I Need A Lover
Jack and Diane
What If I Came Knocking
Crumbling Down
ROCK In The USA/Little Latin Lupie Lu
Hurts So Good
Pink Houses

Encore
Band Introductions
Ain’t Even Done With The Night
Check It Out

So the show was awesome, I don’t mean awesome in that it is so great to see John live playing all of his great songs. It was AWESOME! It was great in that it was just a wild ass rock and roll show. The crowd was great, the venue was pretty darn packed. By the time the last set started after Donovan the place went nuts. Those were some slick floors from all the spilled drinks. They were a loud singing and dancing crowd as well. I was very impressed with the crowd.

John was on the top of his game, really rolling with the show, doing some unexpected vamps and part changes in the songs. He did quite a bit of talking compared to recent tours. The band is so sharp they just roll right on along with it all. Donovan is great, those songs are just legendary and the Mellencamp band does those so well. Wait til you hear Season Of The Witch and Mellow Yellow live, wow.

All in all I think it was a great opening to the tour. Personal favorites were I Need A Lover. When you hear this version it is just like, wow, how in the world have we not played this song like this before. For me it just blows the roof off of the joint. Ain’t Even Done is a great song for the end of the show. ROCK’s medley this year is a blast and Authority Song was just great with this vocal crowd.

Sounds excellent!

ptlyon
03-30-2005, 02:53 PM
Sounds excellent!

Check your smokes

whoman69
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Donovan got into the 60s way too much. :bong: