PDA

View Full Version : gammon coming back. yes! wasted roster spot?

bringbackmarty
03-30-2005, 04:52 PM
Sorry if repost.
http://ww.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/03/30/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_te_kendall_gammon/
CHIEFS AGREE TO TERMS WITH TE KENDALL GAMMON

Mar 30, 2005, 5:41:55 AM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Tuesday that the club has agreed to the terms of a one-year deal with TE Kendall Gammon. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.
Gammon (6-4, 255) has appeared in every game of his professional career, a string of 208 consecutive games over the past 13 seasons, the longest active streak in the league among non-kickers. He was selected to his first Pro Bowl following the 2004 season as a “need player” by Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher. The accomplished long-snapper has appeared in 80 games over five seasons with the Chiefs after spending four seasons in both Pittsburgh (’92-95) and New Orleans (’96-99). Gammon, who has seen duty in eight postseason games including Super Bowl XXX while with Pittsburgh, has also recorded a total of 36 special teams tackles in his career.Since joining the Chiefs in 2000, Gammon has become one of the club’s most active members in the Kansas City community. Serving as the Spokesperson for the Kansas City Free Health Clinic, he has helped promote wellness and quality health services for low-income, uninsured or under-insured individuals who do not have access to health care. Gammon has also been an active participant in the Chiefs “Read Across America” initiative, which promotes literacy among Kansas City youth. Gammon is also the owner of Paradise Nursery, a 42-acre garden center in Kansas City, Missouri.A product of Pittsburg State, Gammon started 41 games for the Gorillas at both tackle and guard. A three-time All-Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association selection, the Rose Hill, Kansas native helped Pittsburg State to the ‘91 NCAA Division II National Championship

Spicy McHaggis
03-30-2005, 04:55 PM
No its not a wasted spot. When was the last time we F'd up a snap? I can't remember it. Besides he's a Gorilla, gotta keep the local rep around.

bringbackmarty
03-30-2005, 04:58 PM
I feel that way too. Unless we get somebody who smokes his ass.

beer bacon
Where is the "trade him for a Browns D-linemen option"?

Bowser
This place would explode if we had a new deep snapper, and he botched the snap on an extra point in a game we ended up losing by 1.

Keep him, he's money.

Bowser
03-30-2005, 04:59 PM

It's not there, thank God!

Demonpenz
03-30-2005, 05:01 PM
if it aint broke don't fix it or like the chiefs say if it's broke don't do anything about it because the games will still sell out

bringbackmarty
03-30-2005, 05:01 PM
I am pretty sure we would have to overpay ridiculously. We would trade lj, or brian waters plus a first anda third for a browns defensive lineman.

Dr. Johnny Fever
03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Anyone think KG is a wasted roster spot....?........ shitcan him and watch us lose a game due to a turnover on a bad snap. I think he's one of the most important guys on the team.

jspchief
03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
No its not a wasted spot. When was the last time we F'd up a snap? I can't remember it.
I can't remember the last time the snapper on too many other teams f*cked up a snap either.

It would certainly be nice to get Scanlon in uniform on gameday, and right now Gammon is taking up his roster spot.

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune the first time a snap sails over our punter's head and into the endzone...

beer bacon
03-30-2005, 05:07 PM
I can't remember the last time the snapper on too many other teams f*cked up a snap either.

It would certainly be nice to get Scanlon in uniform on gameday, and right now Gammon is taking up his roster spot.

I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune the first time a snap sails over our punter's head and into the endzone...

What if Jared Allen jammed his finger deep snapping. I am sure you would change your tune then mister :mad:

Mr. Laz
03-30-2005, 05:11 PM
doesn't matter... what difference does it make?

i mean Vermeil would just bring in another doofus pet player of his to add to his rotation. If he would actually go out and bring in an impact guy then maybe... but making room for scott connot on the roster is not a huge need.

Big Chief Homer
03-30-2005, 05:12 PM
no way,when you have the best of something why ditch it.Hes the best long snapper in the leauge,and a pro bowler(even though it is for special teams).

Now if we can get a kicker to make the extra points we'd be ok.

alpha_omega
03-30-2005, 05:22 PM
The best ls in the league...for sure worth the spot!!!

Frazod
03-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Bartee is a wasted roster spot. Gammon actually DOES what he's supposed to do.

Keep him.

philfree
03-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Now if we'd get a P who can punt the ball worth a damn after Gammons perfect snaps. I think we should draft Justin Colquit with one of our 5th round picks if makes it that far.

PhilFree :arrow:

Warrior5
03-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Gammon is automatic. No one else, including our fine O-line, is automatic.

...would love to see him catch a TD one of these days.

NJ Chief Fan
03-30-2005, 10:24 PM
why would we want to get rid of one of ther better parts of our special teams? remeber the giants long snapper vs the niners?

jynni
03-30-2005, 10:26 PM

It seems like it happens several times a season. Low snaps, high snaps.

remeber the giants long snapper vs the niners?

That's one incident that comes to mind - it was a game deciding kick too.

bringbackmarty
03-31-2005, 03:28 AM
looks like the keep him's have it.

nmt1
03-31-2005, 07:42 AM

The year after Ralph Tamm retired was a disaster. I don't remember who the long snapper was but he botched several snaps. As far as other teams go, look no further than the playoffs 2 or 3 years ago. The Giants against the 49rs. The Giants long snapper botched at least two snaps in the game and cost the Giants the game.
I'd rather dress Gammon who is money on long snaps than Scanlon who's money on special teams penalties.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 07:47 AM
I kinda hoped Jared Allen would take his place this year. He IS a wasted roster spot, IMO. Yes, he does his job, and does it great, but he doesn't do anything else.

Gaz
03-31-2005, 07:56 AM
If he does his job and does it great, then he is hardly a “wasted” roster spot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wishes all Chiefs players could do their job and do it great.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 07:57 AM
If he does his job and does it great, then he is hardly a “wasted” roster spot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Wishes all Chiefs players could do their job and do it great.

I've never seen him line up as a TE, which is reportedly his job.

Gaz
03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
So the problem is not his value to the team, but how he is categorized?

xoxo~
Gaz
Wonders if Gammon would move to Safety, where he could get lost in the crowd.

nmt1
03-31-2005, 08:21 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

Of course he's a wasted roster spot. We are talking about the Chiefs here.

King_Chief_Fan
03-31-2005, 08:27 AM
The year after Ralph Tamm retired was a disaster. I don't remember who the long snapper was but he botched several snaps. As far as other teams go, look no further than the playoffs 2 or 3 years ago. The Giants against the 49rs. The Giants long snapper botched at least two snaps in the game and cost the Giants the game.
I'd rather dress Gammon who is money on long snaps than Scanlon who's money on special teams penalties.

Scanlon is the wasted roster spot.......he sucks

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 08:32 AM

xoxo~
Gaz

It wouldn't matter where he was categorized, as he can not play any position.

The only upside I see to keeping him around is Jared Allen won't get hurt on special teams plays.

Gaz
03-31-2005, 08:38 AM
I have no fear of a bungled snap with Gammon in there. That piece of mind is valuable. Gammon is useful and contributes in a positive manner to the team. That hardly qualifies as a wasted spot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Glad to have one less thing to worry about.

HC_Chief
03-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I have no fear of a bungled snap with Gammon in there. That piece of mind is valuable. Gammon is useful and contributes in a positive manner to the team. That hardly qualifies as a wasted spot.

I completely agree. KG is the best long-snapper in the game, period.

scooter
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM

Are there any Browns D-linemen left?

whoman69
03-31-2005, 10:04 AM

You don't remember the Giant's playoff debacle? They signed a guy about 10 days before and he fugged up a game winning FG.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 10:46 AM
I just wish Jared Allen could be our long snapper.