PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: No quick decision on Shields' future

tk13
03-31-2005, 02:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/11271515.htm

No snap decision on Shields' future

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

As he tries to decide whether to return to the Chiefs for a 13th season or retire, guard Will Shields has plenty of factors pulling him in either direction.

Shields is still playing well, as last year's selection to a 10th straight Pro Bowl shows. Since he won't turn 34 until September, Shields is relatively young. He hasn't missed a game since joining the NFL with the Chiefs in 1993 — and that streak of 192 games means more to Shields than he lets on publicly.

But what else does Shields have left to prove? The only thing, perhaps, is that he can be a part of a championship team. The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since Shields' rookie season, and that prospect for this year doesn't look promising in light of their 2004 record of 7-9.

That's enough to give Shields some pause.

“We all have those crossroads in our lives,” said Shields' agent, Joe Linta. “That's where he is with all of this right now. He's asking the question: Do I really want to push this one more year? He's having that discussion with his family.”

• BEISEL VISITS WITH STEELERS: Linebacker Monty Beisel, an unrestricted free agent, had his first meeting with another team Wednesday. Beisel was in Pittsburgh visiting with the Steelers. He has a visit scheduled next week with the Green Bay Packers.

The Chiefs would miss Beisel's versatility if he signs elsewhere. He played all three linebacker positions at various stages last season and started nine games as an injury replacement for Kawika Mitchell and Shawn Barber. The Chiefs also valued Beisel for his ability as a special-teams player.

• WILLIAMS SIGNS WITH RAMS: Defensive end Jay Williams, a recent free-agent visitor to Arrowhead Stadium, signed instead with St. Louis. The Chiefs had been looking at Williams to be part of their rotation at defensive end, but his versatility also would have helped.

Williams, who played for Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil while with the Rams earlier in his career, can also play defensive tackle.

J Diddy
03-31-2005, 02:07 AM
I think Shields will be back. At least one more try.

tk13
03-31-2005, 02:09 AM
The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since Shields' rookie season, and that prospect for this year doesn't look promising in light of their 2004 record of 7-9.

I know I've said this before, but does anybody else ever feel like Teicher always casts things with the team in a negative light? I mean I think that's quite a bit of conjecture there, anybody can win from year to year in the NFL.... when he writes, talks on the radio, he always comes across in a "half-ass, I don't give a crap and I don't like these guys" kinda way.

J Diddy
03-31-2005, 02:13 AM
I know I've said this before, but does anybody else ever feel like Teicher always casts things with the team in a negative light? I mean I think that's quite a bit of conjecture there, anybody can win from year to year in the NFL.... when he writes, talks on the radio, he always comes across in a "half-ass, I don't give a crap and I don't like these guys" kinda way.

Yup, we need a lynch mob.

Not necessarily for Teicher, but I think an official Chiefsplanet Lynch Mob would be cool.

We could all get matching bandanas.

Rausch
03-31-2005, 02:14 AM
“We all have those crossroads in our lives,” said Shields' agent, Joe Linta. “That's where he is with all of this right now. He's asking the question: Do I really want to push this one more year? He's having that discussion with his family.”

Not good.

Shields has been absolutely ****ing amazing. Sure HOF'er. No weakness in his game. If he chooses to retire I'll think no less of him.

I'd just love to see him get a ring...

siberian khatru
03-31-2005, 06:58 AM

It's an editorial comment that doesn't belong in a straight news story.

tomahawk kid
03-31-2005, 07:17 AM
I still think Shields is just trying to get out of some OTA and offseason stuff. In my opinion, he's enough of a stand up guy that he would have told the organization that he was going to retire long before now.

You can't believe half of what you read in the Star. Everyone's assessment for Tit-less so far has been right on the money.

alpha_omega
03-31-2005, 08:19 AM
...The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game since Shields' rookie season...

OUCH!

beavis
03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
I can only stream 810 from here at work, but lately KK and Harry have just been ripping the Chiefs to shreds. They used to kind of mask their contempt for the team, but anymore, they make no bones about how they can't stand any of them.

TRR
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I would definitely think less of Shields, just like I think less of Priest Holmes for going public with the, "contemplating retirement" comment last season.

This type of stuff really hurts a team IMHO.

If your going to retire...retire. Don't leave a team that pays you millions, up in the air.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
I would definitely think less of Shields, just like I think less of Priest Holmes for going public with the, "contemplating retirement" comment last season.

This type of stuff really hurts a team IMHO.

If your going to retire...retire. Don't leave a team that pays you millions, up in the air.

Man is that ignorant.

You think it's just a switch that goes on and tells you when you want to retire?

Football has been this guy's life. It's all he has known. He's the top at his position and he should be given time to decide what move is best for him.

The Bad Guy
03-31-2005, 10:56 AM
I can only stream 810 from here at work, but lately KK and Harry have just been ripping the Chiefs to shreds. They used to kind of mask their contempt for the team, but anymore, they make no bones about how they can't stand any of them.

If I was in the KC media, I would hate the Chiefs too. When you have a pen writer attacking you every day for doing your job reporting on a team that hasn't won shit, it's expected you would have complete hatred for an organization.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 11:02 AM
If I was in the KC media, I would hate the Chiefs too. When you have a pen writer attacking you every day for doing your job reporting on a team that hasn't won shit, it's expected you would have complete hatred for an organization.

Neither Jack Harry nor Kevin Keitzman are "doing their job". Not coincidentally, they aren't attacked by said "pen writer".

TRR
03-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Man is that ignorant.

You think it's just a switch that goes on and tells you when you want to retire?

Football has been this guy's life. It's all he has known. He's the top at his position and he should be given time to decide what move is best for him.

It all depends on how long he waits. If he makes his decision quickly, I am fine with it. If he prolongs it like Marcus Allen, I will lose all respect for Shields. He should be given time, but if he needs a ton of time to decide, he should just retire.

A leader like Shields potentially missing workouts, TC, etc...Sends a terrible message. Like PH did last season.

nmt1
03-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Neither Jack Harry nor Kevin Keitzman are "doing their job". Not coincidentally, they are attacked by said "pen writer".

They really are doing their job. That job, however, is not to "report" on the Chiefs. It's to blast them at every turn and stir up the morons that listen to their radio shows.

Mr. Laz
03-31-2005, 11:07 AM
I know I've said this before, but does anybody else ever feel like Teicher always casts things with the team in a negative light?
you think everyone casts the team in a negative light :rolleyes:

dave0320
03-31-2005, 11:21 AM
How can you not dislike the CHEAPS front office. They are arragant, and because the games are sold out, they take us fans for granted. Take their fan-fest in late August. They charge for parking, and you are not allowed to take food or drink into the event.

beavis
03-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Well, I don't care for either side of the issue. My point was just that they've been a lot more vocal about it lately.

tk13
03-31-2005, 02:34 PM
you think everyone casts the team in a negative light :rolleyes:
I knew that would get you, I almost put something in there saying such but I figured why bother. Do you have any better thing to do with your time anymore than going around trying to mock every post I make? I stand by the fact that I thought it was a bit of an odd comment to be putting in a news story...