PDA

View Full Version : RIP Mitch Hedburg

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 06:19 AM
First thing this morning on Howard. Only 37. What a bummer way to start the day.

Dufraine, party of 4.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Holy ****ing shit.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 06:43 AM
oh my god....thats awful. :(

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 06:45 AM
No ****ing way.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 06:53 AM
Howard [actually Gary D'ellabate] got the info from a major comic agent. Howard was dubious until Gary and Artie assured him the agent would know. Then Craig Gass [another standup who's a show regular] called and confirmed. Said he had just been on the phone with Mitch's wife. Also confirmed by e-mail from Doug Stanhope [sp], [the standup who teamed up with Joe Rogan for the Man Show Part Deux], who was Mitch's friend.

Boozer
03-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Damn.

Eleazar
03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Only 37, that's awful.

Where might I have seen his stuff? Why'd he die?

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Where might I have seen his stuff?
He's had several standup specials, and is a favorite of Letterman's. Hippy looking guy with shoulder length hair and smoked glasses. Think Hyde from 'That 70s Show' with straight hair.
Had kind of a stoner's delivery to his lines.
Why'd he die?
Unknown at this point. Has a history of drug use, but has not been connected to his death at this point.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Maybe this is an early April Fool's joke?

:(

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Only 37, that's awful.

Where might I have seen his stuff? Why'd he die?

He was the first person to determine that it is not the fault of the photographers and videographers, but that Bigfoot is actually blurry.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Did he die in the freakin United States? you would think there would be more news on this by now.

Boozer
03-31-2005, 07:57 AM
He was the first person to determine that it is not the fault of the photographers and videographers, but that Bigfoot is actually blurry.

He also thought it was really cool to smoke fake pot on a movie set with Peter Frampton; it was even cooler than smoking real pot with a guy who looks like Peter Frampton, which he had done many times.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Did he die in the freakin United States? you think there would be more news on this by now.
He's well liked by those who have seen him, but it's not like he's Robin Williams or Jim Carrey.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 07:58 AM
He also stated that rice is great if you're really hungry and want two-thousand of something.

Chief Henry
03-31-2005, 07:58 AM
WHo the hell is Mitch Hedburg ?

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 07:59 AM
He's well liked by those who have seen him, but it's not like he's Robin Williams or Jim Carrey.
true...

Boozer
03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
He was disappointed with his ant farm...those f*ckers didn't grow shit. And if he were to rip their legs off, they would look like snowmen.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
He would wake up in the morning and have some instant oatmeal. He would then sit and wonder "why dont I jsut make the real stuff and feel productive"

Eleazar
03-31-2005, 08:04 AM
ROFL those are some great lines. RIP

Boozer
03-31-2005, 08:07 AM
One time he went into the supermarket and bought eight apples. The clerk asked him if he wanted a bag. Mitch said, "No, I juggle. But only eight, if I ever come in here asking for nine, give me a bag."

Boozer
03-31-2005, 08:08 AM
ROFL those are some great lines. RIP

It's about ten times better with the delivery (mumbled and mostly deadpan). Do yourself a favor, and pick up both of his CDs.

Bootlegged
03-31-2005, 08:09 AM
http://www.mitchhedberg.net/html/images/headshot.jpg

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 08:09 AM
If you are flamable and have legs you can not be blocking a fire exit.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
When someone hands you a flier, it's like they're saying . . here, you throw this away.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 08:13 AM
If I was walking on a sidewalk with a tightrope walker and he fell off....

That would be totally unacceptable.

NewChief
03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
This is a cool site with tons of little quotes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mitch_Hedberg

How did he die, btw, BL? Has it come out yet?

Here's a few quotes:

Because of [dropping] acid, I know now that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut...I don't need a receipt for the doughnut - I'll just give you money and you
give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario in which I would need to prove that I bought a doughnut...Some skeptical friend, don’t even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here...oh wait it's back home in the file...under "D", for doughnut.

I had a bag of Fritos, they were Texas grilled Fritos. These Fritos had grill marks on them. Hell yeah, reminds me of summer time, when we used to fire up the barbeque and throw down some Fritos. I can still see my dad with the apron on, better flip that Frito, dad, you know how I like mine.

I like cinnamon rolls, but I don't always have time to make a pan. That's why I wish they would sell cinnamon roll incense. Perhaps I'd rather light a stick and have my roommate wake up with false hopes.

I like vending machines, because snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at the store oftentimes I will drop it, so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential.

I opened up a container of yogurt, and under the lid it said "Please Try Again" because they were having a contest I was unaware of. But I thought I might have opened the yogurt wrong...or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me, 'c'mon, Mitchell, don't give up. Please try again. A message of inspiration from your friends at Yoplait. Fruit on the bottom, hope on top.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 08:15 AM
This is a cool site with tons of little quotes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mitch_Hedberg

How did he die, btw, BL? Has it come out yet?
There is not a single actual confirmation of his death that I can find yet.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Maybe they're making a movie, "Mitch Hedberg is Dead."

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
He's had several standup specials, and is a favorite of Letterman's. Hippy looking guy with shoulder length hair and smoked glasses. Think Hyde from 'That 70s Show' with straight hair.
Had kind of a stoner's delivery to his lines.

Unknown at this point. Has a history of drug use, but has not been connected to his death at this point.

I have a pretty good ear, and I'd swear to God he was also doing voice overs on commercials for Jimmie John's Soups and Sandwiches...

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 08:35 AM
I have a pretty good ear, and I'd swear to God he was also doing voice overs on commercials for Jimmie John's Soups and Sandwiches...
Pretty good ear

Previously a cook in a Seattle diner, Hedberg has since become an underground comedy superstar and earned the honor of being one of David Letterman’s personal favorites. Hedberg has appeared on “The Late Show with David Letterman” 10 times and has recently become a spokesman for Jimmy John’s submarines.
http://www.easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?7089

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 08:59 AM
The more time goes by the more I think this is a hoax...so close to april fools day and all...

Mark M
03-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Dude was (or maybe still is ... who knows) funny as hell. Strange delivery, but great jokes.

MM
~~:sulk:

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 09:08 AM
The more time goes by the more I think this is a hoax...so close to april fools day and all...
Well, from his website, you can check with;

Contact Josh Lieberman 310-888-2144

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
This just ****ing sucks.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 10:47 AM
This just ****ing sucks.
I concur.

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
I watch alot of comedians.........and I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of him.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
I've seen him. We were great friends.... well, as good as friends can be from the front row to the stage. I actually felt like he was better friends with my wife. What with that creepy ogle he kept giving her to punctuate his punchlines.

pink
03-31-2005, 10:55 AM
First thing this morning on Howard. Only 37. What a bummer way to start the day.

Dufraine, party of 4.
yeah, and i hear he's gonna be buried right next to john goodman.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 11:08 AM

Damnit! You guys know that this woman won't believe anything I tell her anymore due to that bogus Goodman story? "Hey, Mitch Hedburg died", I say. To her response, "Where did you hear that, .... ChiefsPlanet" with a cluck and a shake of the head....

That Goodman story has ruined my life. I feel like I'm living with badgranny.

gblowfish
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
There's nothing on CNN or Yahoo News about it, and the Howard Stern site doesn't say "He's Dead" anywhere, it just says "Farewell."
Maybe John Goodman Reported him missing...

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
That Goodman story has ruined my life. I feel like I'm living with badgranny.
Thats no good...I bet Skip is making a couple passes around the block GoChiefs style.

homey
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
This is not funny. Mitch is the man.

"The Guiness book of world record should be in the Guiness book of world records for a book with the most world records."

beavis
03-31-2005, 11:27 AM
Is this true, or an Andy Kaufman like stunt?

I'll run the risk of pissing everyone on this thread off, but I've seen the guy a couple of times on Comedy Central and what not, and thought he was incredibly lame. Maybe they weren't his best material or something, but I didn't find him funny at all.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Mitch Hedberg's official site lists today as the last update date... and there's no mention of it whatsoever.

He's supposed to do a show tonight. Maybe someone should call the club and see if it's been cancelled.
The girl on the phone told me there was going to be an announcment at 2:00.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 11:53 AM
I'll run the risk of pissing everyone on this thread off, but I've seen the guy a couple of times on Comedy Central and what not, and thought he was incredibly lame. Maybe they weren't his best material or something, but I didn't find him funny at all.

I don't think there is any middle ground with Mitch. FWIW, I didn't care for him much on TV, but when I caught his act live, I became a big fan. Like any comedian, your first impression is generally lasting - which is why Robin Williams can get a laugh out of anything he does these days. I haven't seen anything truly funny out of the guy in ages, but people expect him to be funny so he is. Am I rambling?

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Wasn't the Goodman source an online blurb for a newspaper no one had ever heard of before?
Not saying it's true or not, but if it's fake, his friends and his wife are in on it. And Howard fielded 5-6 calls this morning asking him point blank if it was a bit.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Holy smokes. I'm not alone.

For the most part, his last HBO special was garbage. I've heard people praise it like it was the second coming.
I'm pretty critical of all stand-up. But you gotta admit his impression near the end of the show of a dude pleasuring his woman was hilarious. I thought I was going to hyperventilate.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
which is why Robin Williams can get a laugh out of anything he does these days. I haven't seen anything truly funny out of the guy in ages, but people expect him to be funny so he is.I wholeheartedly concur.

Bootlegged
03-31-2005, 12:04 PM
I called Josh, got his voicemail.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 12:04 PM
I wholeheartedly concur.

the rambling part or the robin williams take?

Iowanian
03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Holy smokes. I'm not alone.

For the most part, his last HBO special was garbage. I've heard people praise it like it was the second coming.

Personally, I can hardly stand to watch Robin Williams on Anything. He tries too damn hard to be over the top. If he'd cut back on the caffine, he might be funny.

The only funny thing I can think of from his HBO special, was the impression of Colonal Angus in his elbow pit with his hairy arms.

Baby Lee
03-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Up to the minute, but still speculative.

http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?url=mitch%20hedberg

Zach quoted me. I'm famous!!!

Also, IMDB forums state one of the comedy channels on Sirius has reported it, and ran a series of his bits in tribute this morning.

Chest Rockwell
03-31-2005, 12:30 PM
Comedy Central:

http://www.comedycentral.com/standup/central/detail.jhtml?p=/comedians/h/mitch_hedberg.xml

Look under "Bio."

All it really says is he passed away "this week."

This is pretty strange so far...and too bad.

Funny dude.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 12:30 PM
the rambling part or the robin williams take?The "Robin Williams isn't funny anymore" part.

teedubya
03-31-2005, 12:38 PM
He is/was my current favorite comedian. That dude is/was so funny... I hope this is a joke. :-(

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.mitchhedberg.net/

Here is the official site and mentions nothing of it.

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 12:53 PM
The IMprov in Baltimore confirmed it. He did die last night.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
Reports are coming in from all over the place now that he died of a heroin overdose...

Considering his demeanor, the idea that he was on smack isn't all that far-fetched...

gblowfish
03-31-2005, 01:05 PM
The IMprov in Baltimore confirmed it. He did die last night.Baltimore Improv has dropped his shows from their website, nothing listed for next 3 nights, which is when he was supposed to perform.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Shit. Heroin has claimed a lot of my favorites.

gblowfish
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Story from St. Paul Newspaper, his home town:
Thu, Mar. 31, 2005
Comedian Mitch Hedberg dead at 37

BY MATT PEIKEN

Pioneer Press

Even family and close friends had a hard time understanding Mitch Hedberg, a St. Paul native who ran away from home and, despite living a scattershot life, became a runaway success as a standup comic.

Hedberg, whose space-case persona was as much part of his soul as it was his act, died early Wednesday morning in a New Jersey hotel room. He was 37. A medical examiner hasn't issued findings, but Hedberg's family is told he suffered a heart attack. His wife was with him.

After graduating St. Paul's Harding High School, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co., and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special. He made several appearances on David Letterman's and Conan O'Brien's shows, made more Comedy Central appearances and produced two comedy CDs. His big dream, to have an HBO comedy special, was in the works.

Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacy staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner, and his success occurred in light of, in spite of and even because of his quarter-century affair with drugs and alcohol.

"I'd probably be living in Costa Rica, eating oranges on the beach, if I wasn't doing comedy," he told the Pioneer Press last September.

"There's no two ways about — having a son in entertainment industry is challenging," his mother, Mary Hedberg, said Thursday.

She recalls being at work when her oldest daughter called in a panic to tell her Mitch had packed some brown paper bags and left home. Mary Hedberg couldn't get home in time to either see him off or talk him out of it.

"That was heartbreaking for us, but he kept in contact with us. He called as soon as the car broke down," she said. "You know, it was like putting him through college, even though he wasn't at college. But when he got his first break, we were just so thrilled for him, because we wanted him to know he was O.K., and to have that self-confidence that he could do what he wanted to do."

Louis Lee, owner of the Acme, said Hedberg not only became the Twin Cities' first breakout comedian of the 1990s but, along with Lewis Black, helped shape a national resurgence in standup comedy.

"It's very difficult for one-liner comedians to get an audience going, but when Mitch worked here, you could see the kids call out the punchline," Lee said. "Mitch made the whole comedy community realize how important good writing is. It's a huge loss."

Unlike many comics, Hedberg was demonstrably thankful to his fans. Not long ago, a group of college students in Florida, speaking with Hedberg backstage after a show, mentioned how hot their dorm room was. Hedberg surprised them the next morning by showing up to their dorm with a new air conditioner.

"Mitch presented a lot of challenges, but a lot of opportunities for traveling that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and he had a heart of gold," his mother said. "He was a brilliant comic and a wonderful person."

Dates haven't been set, but eventual visitation and services will be at Wulff Family Services, Woodlane Mortuary, in Woodbury.

NewChief
03-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Shit. Heroin has claimed a lot of my favorites.

No doubt.

Spicy McHaggis
03-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Damn this sucks. 37 is way too young to go. RIP Mitch.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
I saw him live on Feb 5th. :(

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
I never got to see him live. Couple years back Lewis Black & Dave Attell were doing a Comedy Central tour. The opening act in Phoenix was supposed to be Mitch, but for some reason he cancelled at the last minute and they trotted some hack out there.

I was pissed then, and I'm even more pissed now that I'll never have another chance.
He drank alot during his show. He progressively got drunker as the show went on, until finally he was laying down in front of the speaker and putting the microphone up to it to create feedback, and laughing hysterically.

"I guess this isn't a motivational speaker"

Pennywise
03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Up to the minute, but still speculative.

http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?url=mitch%20hedberg

Zach quoted me. I'm famous!!!

Also, IMDB forums state one of the comedy channels on Sirius has reported it, and ran a series of his bits in tribute this morning.
:)

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Aww, God.

Damnit.

tk13
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Holy crap. That's terrible. RIP Mitch.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs...

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
and once explained the reason his was not a household name was because most of his fans lived in apartments

ROFL Classic Mitch Hedberg...

This is sooo upsetting.

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 02:39 PM
You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5323039.html
Hedberg, 37, was a graduate of St. Paul's Harding High School. "The Loser School," he called it, Hansen said, "but he would always go back there and they would point to him as someone who came out of there and really did something with his life."

Yeah because "if you kill yourself, you lose a very important part of your life."

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
P.S.: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
A burrito is like a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
One thing I've learned today is that I don't want to die on March 31st, because all the conspiracy theorists would think I was merely early for the joke.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 02:53 PM
One thing I've learned today is that I don't want to die on March 31st, because all the conspiracy theorists would think I was merely early for the joke.
Congrats. That sounds just like a Mitch joke. :thumb:

FloridaChief
03-31-2005, 02:53 PM
I opened up a container of yogurt, and under the lid it said "Please Try Again" because they were having a contest I was unaware of. But I thought I might have opened the yogurt wrong...or maybe Yoplait was trying to inspire me, 'c'mon, Mitchell, don't give up. Please try again. A message of inspiration from your friends at Yoplait. Fruit on the bottom, hope on top.

That was my fav bit of his. Believe I used it in my .sig for awhile.

Man, this sucks.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Congrats. That sounds just like a Mitch joke. :thumb:

Thanks, that's quite a compliment. I was hoping it was funny, but I'm sad and shit. **** you Mitch, **** you Farley, **** you Robert Pastorelli, **** you Belushi, **** you Joplin, **** you Blind Melon.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
Blind Melon? :shake:

Phobia
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
Blind Melon? :shake:

http://dailybeacon.utk.edu/issues/v70/n41/mel.41v.html

Ultra Peanut
03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
It's been quite the morbid week.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:07 PM
I know. But, you included Blind Melon, and left out Hendrix.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I know. But, you included Blind Melon, and left out Hendrix.

That's because I forgot about Hendrix.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
Well, if you're going to go beyond heroin, then you could also include Jim Morrison, Layne Staley, and about 500 others...

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
Mama Cass?

|Zach|
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I went to the store to get some candle holders but they didn't have any.

So I got a cake.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Layne Staley wasn't on heroin?

I've reconsidered my last post. Even if Mitch's death wasn't due to an OD (on heroin, or something else), I'm sure it could probably be attributed at least in part to years of drug abuse. Let the f*ck yous fly.

Dude, Layne Staley was a smack FREAK. Most of those guys in that early 90's Seattle scene were...

ptlyon
03-31-2005, 03:28 PM
Dude, Layne Staley was a smack FREAK. Most of those guys in that early 90's Seattle scene were...

Well F him too then!

Seeing where this thread will go after this post...

Pennywise
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Layne Staley was the biggest heroin addict the US has ever produced!

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:31 PM
Did I misread your last post, then?

No, sorry.

I just re-read my post and apparently I'm struggling with English today...

homey
03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know if any of you saw him in KC or not but you knew dude was on something and it was heavier than some weed. The guy couldn't even formulate words at times. I had pretty good seats and I couldn't even understand about 30% of his material. I've always been a Mitch Hedberg fan though and always will be. It'll be cool to tell my kids I got to see him before he died. Just don't know why people get hooked on that junk, you'd think they would learn by now...

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
I went to a doctor and all he did was suck blood from my neck.

Do not go see dr. Acula.

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:47 PM
I would imagine if you understood Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
This pic is on the front of his website

Saulbadguy
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah. He went on and on about that green stool.

Phobia
03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Not anymore. I just got a "This account has been suspended" message.

Wonder if he got so many hits today he exceeded his bandwidth limit for the month.

That's shitty.

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Not anymore. I just got a "This account has been suspended" message.

Wonder if he got so many hits today he exceeded his bandwidth limit for the month.

Wow I just closed that window out to. Not more then 10 seconds before your post

KingPriest2
03-31-2005, 03:57 PM
It's all YOUR FAULT!

DAMN!!! :banghead: :cuss: :deevee:

Demonpenz
03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
this moves me up on the funniest person alive list

Thig Lyfe
03-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Damn.

Mitch Hedberg was hilarious. I was planning on seeing him next time he came to town.

This sucks.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 10:07 AM
:( I am downloading all his appearances and stuff like that. There really is noone who has the same type of humor that he does.

Ultra Peanut
04-01-2005, 10:38 AM
:( I am downloading all his appearances and stuff like that. There really is noone who has the same type of humor that he does.So sad, and so true.

teedubya
04-01-2005, 10:55 AM
man... why do all the great ones die so young, and all the shitty one stay around and bug you for years?

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 11:00 AM
Zach recomended a guy to me named "Demetri Martin"..he's got some real simple dry humor. Check him out.

I was wrapping presents for Christmas this year when halfway through I noticed I was using the wrong wrapping paper. It said "Happy Birthday" on it, so I just wrote "Jesus" on all of them and went about my wrapping.

Duck Dog
04-01-2005, 11:05 AM
He also stated that rice is great if you're really hungry and want two-thousand of something.

That's pretty clever.

I never heard of him, wish I had.

teedubya
04-01-2005, 12:05 PM
Look on the bright side... you're ensured to have a long life.

thanks.