PDA

View Full Version : Your Creative Input is Requested

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 09:22 AM
As some of you may know, Bob Dole has a local music (and increasingly general interest) website at www.texarkanarocks.com, and thanks to the Power of the Planet, we even managed to win a "Best of Texarkana" award awhile back.

Bob Dole requests your assistance again, but this one should be a little more enjoyable.

Yesterday, TexarkanaRocks.com was given a membership to the Texarkana Chamber of Commerce. As part of the new membership package, TexarkanaRocks.com is to receive complimentary radio advertising spots on 2 local station. (20 spots on an urban format station and 50 on an oldies format.)

Bob Dole has no desire to run boring, informational spots, so is asking for your ideas. Basically, Bob Dole wants something off-the-wall that people will remember and talk about for a year or so. (Bonus points if the final product contains the question, "Did a squirrel eat you brain?")

Skip Towne
03-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, you need something catchy that people will remember. I remember this TV ad from 30 years ago. A guy named Chick Norton owned an automobile agency in Tulsa. His motto was "Chick don't care". I guess this showed he didn't care how much money he got for his cars. Anyhow, the TV ad showed Chick bashing in a car windshield with a baseball bat and saying "Chick don't care". One night, some kids went to his lot and bashed in every windshield on the lot. We need to get you something like that.

Mark M
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Having written some radio spots, I'll take a stab at it.

By when do you need it?

And, yes, I can work in "Did a squirrel eat your brain."

MM
~~:D

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 10:24 AM
Having written some radio spots, I'll take a stab at it.

By when do you need it?

And, yes, I can work in "Did a squirrel eat your brain."

MM

Don't know that there's any real time frame involved. Still awaiting details.

It appears that they are 60 second spots, but that hasn't been confirmed.

Mark M
03-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Don't know that there's any real time frame involved. Still awaiting details.

It appears that they are 60 second spots, but that hasn't been confirmed.

That was going to be my next question.

Also, are they using in-studio talent (having the DJ read it), or do you have the option of finding your own? That will make a difference since a recorded one can allow you to do other stuff, while a DJ read one will have to be simplified so he'she doesn't screw it up.

MM
~~:hmmm:

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 10:38 AM
That was going to be my next question.

Also, are they using in-studio talent (having the DJ read it), or do you have the option of finding your own? That will make a difference since a recorded one can allow you to do other stuff, while a DJ read one will have to be simplified so he'she doesn't screw it up.

MM
~~:hmmm:

Bob Dole is planning to pre-record the spots.

Mark M
03-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Bob Dole is planning to pre-record the spots.

Kewl. That gives me a bit more freedom, then.

I'll work on them this weekend and try to have something to you by early next week. The only thing I ask is that I get a copy (i.e. CD or e-mailed mp3) of the spot for my portfolio.

What? You think I'm doing this because of your good looks?

MM

gblowfish
03-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Let me get this straight. A radio station is going to give you free time to advertise an internet radio station? Oh well, I guess NBC and CBS has sold ad time to HBO before...

Maybe you could get Howard Dean to scream "A SQUIRREL ATE MY BRAIN!" ala John Lennon's "I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!!!"

Radio Blowfish rules!
http://www.live365.com/stations/307567

Bob Dole
03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
Let me get this straight. A radio station is going to give you free time to advertise an internet radio station? Oh well, I guess NBC and CBS has sold ad time to HBO before...

Maybe you could get Howard Dean to scream "A SQUIRREL ATE MY BRAIN!" ala John Lennon's "I GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!!!"

Radio Blowfish rules!
http://www.live365.com/stations/307567

Bob Dole abandoned the radio station awhile back. It was just too much work, and Live365 was getting goofy.

The site is primarily used for music event promotion/review and general nonsensical discussion now, though a guy who runs a local recording studio writes an article once in awhile and there's a gearhead forum that's picking up.