PDA

View Full Version : Online gamer killed over cybertheft

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 02:43 PM
:rolleyes:

BEIJING - A Shanghai online game player stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber-sword, the China Daily said on Wednesday, creating a dilemma in China where no law exists for the ownership of virtual weapons.

Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his "dragon sabre," used in the popular online game, "Legend of Mir 3", the newspaper said a Shanghai court was told on Tuesday.

"Legend of Mir 3" features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their weapon last February, and lent it to Zhu who then sold it for 7,200 yuan (US$870), the newspaper said.

Qui went to the police to report the "theft" but was told the weapon was not real property protected by law.

"Zhu promised to hand over the cash but an angry Qui lost patience and attacked Zhu at his home, stabbing him in the left chest with great force and killing him," the court was told.

The newspaper did not specify the charge against Qiu but said he had given himself up to police and already pleaded guilty to "intentional injury".

No verdict has been announced.

More and more online gamers were seeking justice through the courts over stolen weapons and credits, the newspaper said.

"The armor and swords in games should be deemed as private property as players have to spend money and time for them," Wang Zongyu, an associate law professor at Beijing's Renmin University of China, was quoted as saying.

But other experts are calling for caution. "The 'assets' of one player could mean nothing to others as they are by nature just data created by game providers," a lawyer for a Shanghai-based Internet game company was quoted as saying.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7341316/

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
This is actually becoming an interesting phenomenon.

The grey areas surrounding ownership of "data" are being test...

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM

yeah I can only imagine what is going ot happen here...suing somebody because they saved over your Chiefs Championship season on Madden 05 :rolleyes:

Spicy McHaggis
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM

It is interesting, I was actually talking to a profesor yesterday about DNA ownership rights too which are currently unprotected also. This influx of technology is going to need to be looked at.

Eleazar
03-31-2005, 02:53 PM
I have sold virtual property like this. I had an account in an online game that, between the sale of the account itself and the liquidation of the character's assets I got about $200 out of. But they can go for much, much higher than that depending on how they are equipped.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:02 PM
I have sold virtual property like this. I had an account in an online game that, between the sale of the account itself and the liquidation of the character's assets I got about $200 out of. But they can go for much, much higher than that depending on how they are equipped.

Yep.

And for most of these MMORPG's, you pay a monthly fee to play. Ownership as data has been clearly established in many cases ranging from online banking to music and movies files. This really isn't any different. When it comes down to it, the precedents already set pretty much dictate that they're going to have to handle this "data" as someone's property.

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Yep.

And for most of these MMORPG's, you pay a monthly fee to play. Ownership as data has been clearly established in many cases ranging from online banking to music and movies files. This really isn't any different. When it comes down to it, the precedents already set pretty much dictate that they're going to have to handle this "data" as someone's property.

I guess the part that gets me is he MURDERED someone over a f*cking cyber sword :banghead:

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I guess the part that gets me is he MURDERED someone over a f*cking cyber sword :banghead:

Yeah, it's pretty ****ing stupid.

It reminds me of the episode of Reno 911 when they arrested the dude wearing full chainmail...I believe he resisted arrest by casting invisibility on himself or something...

Pants
03-31-2005, 03:19 PM

It reminds me of the episode of Reno 911 when they arrested the dude wearing full chainmail...I believe he resisted arrest by casting invisibility on himself or something...

ROFL

Have you seen the "lightning ball" video of the D&D crowd? And, hey, if Koreans die from exhaustion playing video games for days without eating/sleeping/drinking, why not kill someone over a game?

Eleazar
03-31-2005, 03:21 PM
ROFL

Have you seen the "lightning ball" video of the D&D crowd? And, hey, if Koreans die from exhaustion playing video games for days without eating/sleeping/drinking, why not kill someone over a game?

"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"

(it's implied that before the clip begins one of them cast 'uber nerd doucheness of the titans')

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
Dude...it was a DRAGON SABRE...not just any other cyber sword.

Jeeesh.

It's only like the coolest thing ever.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.jhtml?reposid=/multimedia/reno911/212_dungeons.html

Ghostof
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
yeah I can only imagine what is going ot happen here...suing somebody because they saved over your Chiefs Championship season on Madden 05 :rolleyes:

HEY!

That may be the only way the Chiefs will ever have a chance at winning the super bowl.

Wrasse
03-31-2005, 03:29 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.jhtml?reposid=/multimedia/reno911/212_dungeons.html
Don't really watch that show...but that is awesome. :)

Pants
03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"
"lightning bolt"

(it's implied that before the clip begins one of them cast 'uber nerd doucheness of the titans')

Yeah, bolt is what I meant. That was a hilarious video.

Amnorix
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
I was involved in a play-by-mail space game. Basically, pay turn fees to fly ships around, build space cities, and try to rule the galaxy.

This particular game was continuous, and if you excluded previous times when it was temporarily shut down for whatever reason, had been around for like 10 years.

You could, literally, spend hundreds of dollars a month on the game. Over time, this would certainly add up.

The GMs, for reasons I needn't get into, once bounced a player out and handed his positions to someone else (a member of the same "team", effectively) for violations of policy. The bounced person threatened to sue, as he had spent literally thousands of dollars over many years creating and improving these positions.

It's not a stupid argument, but it does get very sensitive and difficult to work out.

DenverChief
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/mp/play.jhtml?reposid=/multimedia/reno911/212_dungeons.html ROFL

Eleazar
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM

I'm wearing boots of escaping! I'm wearing boots of escaping! ROFL

patteeu
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM

Invisibility won't work when you are wearing a full suit of chainmail. That guy must be a real idiot.

htismaqe
03-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Invisibility won't work when you are wearing a full suit of chainmail. That guy must be a real idiot.

ROFL

Now THAT is funny.