PDA

View Full Version : Making like Rain Man:

Frankie
04-01-2005, 01:50 AM
OK I'm bored. So here's the thread topic:

What's the best sword fight scene in the history of cinema?

For me it's the one at the end of "Rob Roy." Tim Roth was arguably the best villain of all time and that sword fight was an absolute classic.

My second choice: The one between the Black Pirate and Inigo Montoya in "Princes Bride."

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 01:52 AM
OK I'm bored. So here's the thread topic:

What's the best sword fight scene in the history of cinema?

For me it's the one at the end of "Rob Roy." Tim Roth was arguably the best villain of all time and that sword fight was an absolute classic.

My second choice: The one between the Black Pirate and Inigo Montoya in "Princes Bride."

If you get to be Rain Man then I am going to be gochiefs.

Do lightsaber fights count as sword fights?

Frankie
04-01-2005, 01:58 AM
If you get to be Rain Man then I am going to be gochiefs.

Do lightsaber fights count as sword fights?
Yes

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Yes

Then for me it would be a toss up between the saber fights between Vader and Luke in ESB and RotJ. The Empire Strikes Back has the better actual sword fight, but in Return of the Jedi the dialogue and emotion is better.

I am sure there are other sword fights that if someone mentioned them I would think they were great too, but off the top of my head these are my two favorite.

Also the Black Pirate and Inigo Montoya fight as well as the Inigo Montoya and six-fingered man fight would also be way up there for me as well.

chiefsfolife
04-01-2005, 02:06 AM
yoda and count duku episode 2

Spicy McHaggis
04-01-2005, 02:08 AM

(nerdy retainer induced lisp) "Actually the correct name is the "Dread Pirate Roberts" later revealed to be Westley played by Cary Elwes."

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 02:08 AM
yoda and count duku episode 2

I am hoping that Episode Three will be two hours of fights of this calibur instead of 80% horrible dialogue and 20% epic fights.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 02:17 AM
(nerdy retainer induced lisp) "Actually the correct name is the "Dread Pirate Roberts" later revealed to be Westley played by Cary Elwes."

:LOL:
Thankth.....

Frankie
04-01-2005, 02:21 AM
Although I agree that light-saber fights should be considered, my personal opinion is that CG-enhanced swashbuckling is not as satisfying as the real ones. Therefore, as impressive as most of them look, they are not as good as most old fashioned swordfights.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 02:22 AM
Another one that I really enjoyed was Achiles vs Hector in Troy.

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Although I agree that light-saber fights should be considered, my personal opinion is that CG-enhanced swashbuckling is not as satisfying as the real ones. Therefore, as impressive as most of them look, they are not as good as most old fashioned swordfights.

The sword fights in the old Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman movies made in Japan back in the 60s are really good. There were I think 26 movies made in this series and everyone had many great fights. Typically it was the main character Zatoichi fighting 5-50 guys with a fight with another true swordsman as the grand finale.

teedubya
04-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Erol Flynn had some great swashbuckling moments... I think he wins.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Erol Flynn had some great swashbuckling moments... I think he wins.

EF was great at making it look convincing. His scenes rank high on my list.

NewChief
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Rain Man
04-01-2005, 11:26 AM
No one has mentioned Indiana Jones' encounter with the sword-wielding Middle Eastern ninja in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was short, but satisfying.

Eleazar
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Wasn't there one in 'the birdcage'?

:thailor:

cmh6476
04-01-2005, 11:33 AM
hans solo and darth vader? :shrug:

patteeu
04-01-2005, 11:34 AM
No one has mentioned Indiana Jones' encounter with the sword-wielding Middle Eastern ninja in Raiders of the Lost Ark. It was short, but satisfying.

Don't be an idiot Frankie. :p

patteeu
04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
The black knight scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail comes to mind.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 11:40 AM

That doesn't qualify as a sword fight. Though it was quite funny. Did you know it wasn't scripted?

CosmicPal
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Well, if you REALLY want to make like Rain Man, you would have to include a poll.

Otherwise, this is just another thread with a non-football topic.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 05:08 PM
In view of Scorp's much lamer April Fools day thread, I would like to up this one to raise the level of 'cool' on this bb.;)

Carry on.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 05:13 PM
The sword fights in the old Zatoichi: the Blind Swordsman movies made in Japan back in the 60s are really good. There were I think 26 movies made in this series and everyone had many great fights. Typically it was the main character Zatoichi fighting 5-50 guys with a fight with another true swordsman as the grand finale.
Holy Crap!!!

I didn't think anyone actually watched these! lol

I saw one the other night where he was having sex in a pit with some girl (who had to bleed in order to get her ninja power ranger thing goin'?!?!) and was being shot at by some gay dude above him with a bow and arrow.

Very WEIRD movie.

Frankie
04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
OOOPS!!!:redface:

I upped the wrong thread.

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Holy Crap!!!

I didn't think anyone actually watched these! lol

I saw one the other night where he was having sex in a pit with some girl (who had to bleed in order to get her ninja power ranger thing goin'?!?!) and was being shot at by some gay dude above him with a bow and arrow.

Very WEIRD movie.

Are you sure we are talking about the same movies :)

I don't remember any sex scenes or ninja power ranger things in the 6 or 7 Zatoichi movies I have seen. They didn't really have magic power elements or anything like that.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 05:28 PM
If we're going purely by swordplay, nothing beats the Episode I lightsaber duel. It blows away anything else.

Episode 3's duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan will take the crown in a few months.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 05:28 PM
The duel between Anakin and the Sith Assasin in the Clone Wars cartoon was pretty good.

In the real world, however, just pick any sword fight in the movie Hero.

Hydrae
04-01-2005, 05:44 PM
What, no references to the sword fights in Kill Bill? :D

unlurking
04-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Are you sure we are talking about the same movies :)

I don't remember any sex scenes or ninja power ranger things in the 6 or 7 Zatoichi movies I have seen. They didn't really have magic power elements or anything like that.

Apparently not. It took me like 20 minutes to find info on the short bit of the movie I saw, Kunoichi: Lady Ninja. Talk about campy!

And then there's the plain silly stuff like fast-forward motion during combat and the combatants announcing the name of their next special attack during battle. Those names are the best part of the gag, with such howlers as the 'Returning Echo' (where the lady ninja absorbs an enemy's energy attack through her private parts and literally vomits it back at them), the 'Nipple Shock Wave', and 'Virgin Blood Attack' (use your imagination).

The 'Virgin Blood Attack' was in the pit scene. I got confused because the hero is "one-eyed", not blind. Sorry!

http://www.nixflix.com/reviews/kunoichi.htm

Pants
04-01-2005, 05:59 PM
I got the chills or whatever you call them when I was watching Hector vs Achilles. That was probably the best scene of it's kind EVAR!

Amnorix
04-01-2005, 06:04 PM
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Good call on that. Some good fights in that.

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 08:36 PM
:thumb:

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 08:38 PM
It's almost sad that I still to date have not watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. :banghead:

jspchief
04-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Hector v Achilles is definately on the list

Light saber dual between Darth Maul and Obi Wan/Qui Gon Jin in Phantom Menace (the score to that scene is awesome, I get chills just thinking about it).

The final battle in Conan the Barbarian (more than swords, but still needs mention).

The fight from Hero that's in my avatar (awesome visuals)

The final battle in Excalibur.

Considering all the swords in LoTR, I'm suprised that there is no fight that sticks in my memory.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Considering all the swords in LoTR, I'm suprised that there is no fight that sticks in my memory.

That's because there's no one-on-one duels.

Delano
04-01-2005, 09:18 PM
That's because there's no one-on-one duels.

That Gandalf/Saruman duel was kinda cool, although short.

SCTrojan
04-01-2005, 09:19 PM

The fight between the Bride and the Crazy 88 in Kill Bill Vol. 1 is pretty cool.

The duel between Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones in Zorro rates a mention for me because Zeta Jones almost gets nuded up.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
The early fight between Black Jack Sparrow and the kid in Pirates of the Carribean is actually pretty good too.

Darkwolfe
04-01-2005, 09:41 PM
If we're counting lightsaber duels as qualifying swordfights, let's include an amatuer film from www.theforce.net called "Ryan vs Dorkman".

The name is just awful, but the two kids in the film have been doing lightsager choreography for fan films and are both very very good. It's a free download from the Fanfilms section and you WILL enjoy it.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
If we're counting lightsaber duels as qualifying swordfights, let's include an amatuer film from www.theforce.net (http://www.theforce.net) called "Ryan vs Dorkman".

The name is just awful, but the two kids in the film have been doing lightsager choreography for fan films and are both very very good. It's a free download from the Fanfilms section and you WILL enjoy it.

Wow. Very impressive.

Frankie
04-02-2005, 10:25 AM
It seems the martial art swashbuckling and SciFi types are the rage on this Planet (pun intended). But I still hold the old fashioned sword fights higher on my list. There's another one worth mentioning. The duel at the end of Scaramouch. As for the CG ones, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Yoda's light saber fight in the last Star Wars.

Nzoner
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm partial to the ones in the original Highlander.