PDA

View Full Version : Congress asks Tagliabue about NFL steroid policy

KingPriest2
04-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Information session
Congress asks Tagliabue about NFL steroid policy
Posted: Thursday March 31, 2005 5:09PM; Updated: Thursday March 31, 2005 6:20PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The same Congressional committee that conducted hearings into steroids in baseball has asked NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue for information about how football regulates the performance-enhancing substances.

The Government Reform Committee also said Thursday it will ask for similar data from the NBA, NHL, NCAA, U.S. Track and Field and Major League Soccer.

"As the committee has stated publicly numerous times, its focus on the performance-enhancing drug use in sports is not limited to professional baseball," the committee said in a letter signed by committee chairman Rep. Tom Davis and ranking Democrat Rep. Henry Waxman.

"As part of this investigation, we are requesting basic information on steroid policies from a number of sports leagues."

Tagliabue responded in a letter that he has directed his staff to be fully responsive to the committee's request.

The committee asked the NFL to provide details on the testing procedures and how they were negotiated between the league and the union. It also requested summaries of all test results during the time the testing has taken place, although not the names of individual players. The committee set next Friday as the deadline for the league to provide it with the information.

The letter to the NFL comes a day after CBS' 60 Minutes Wednesday reported that Panthers punter Todd Sauerbrun and center Jeff Mitchell and former offensive lineman Todd Steussie filled testosterone cream prescriptions during the 2003 season, when the team went to the Super Bowl.

In addition to the cream, which is banned by the NFL, Sauerbrun also reportedly obtained syringes and the injectable steroid Stanozolol, which is banned by the league.

The NFL has had random testing for steroids for the past 15 years. A total of 44 players have been suspended during that period for using the performance-enhancing substances.

The league has proposed toughening its testing standards to conform with a change in standards by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee. That change has to be approved by the NFL Players Association, whose executive director, Gene Upshaw, is a former offensive lineman who has been outspoken about the use of the substances in the sport.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

KingPriest2
04-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I guess congress wants something done

penguinz
04-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I think Congress members should have to take Random IQ tests.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
I have a feeling the NFL will come out as the "shining star" example for what they try and force the MLB to do, whether or not "shining star" is appropriate.

KingPriest2
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
House panel announces hearing on steroid use in NFL

April 19, 2005
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The congressional committee that investigated steroid use in baseball will turn its investigation to the same problem in football. The panel said Tuesday it will ask NFL officials and union representatives to testify at a hearing next week.

``A public review of the NFL's strategy for combatting steroid use marks the next step in our investigation,'' said Rep. Tom Davis, chairman of the House Government Reform Committee. ``Examining the effectiveness of the NFL's policy is a key part of understanding why 500,000 high school students today have tried steroids.''

Invited to the April 27 hearing are NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue; Gene Upshaw, vice president of the NFL Players Association, and Harold Henderson, the NFL's executive vice president for labor relations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Davis and the committee's ranking Democrat, Rep. Henry Waxman of California, sent a letter last month to Tagliabue asking for information about the league's drug program. The letter asked for the number of drug tests each year, the number of positive results and which substances are tested for; it didn't require that the league reveal names of players. The committee received the NFL's reponse early this month.

Similar letters were sent by Davis and Waxman to the heads of the NBA, the NHL and five other sports organizations.

The committee held an 11-hour hearing on steroids in baseball last month. Among the witnesses were former players Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco and baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

Also Tuesday, a Texas state lawmaker called Tuesday for random steroid tests for public high school athletes during the playoffs. The bill by Rep. Phil King, a Republican, would ban from competition those who test positive.

On the Net:

House Government Reform Committee: http://reform.house.gov

jspchief
04-20-2005, 08:01 AM
This must mean they've already balanced the budget and fixed Social Security. Glad they have the spare time to concentrate on things that have nothing to do with what they were elected to do.

mcan
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
``A public review of the NFL's strategy for combatting steroid use marks the next step in our investigation,'' said Rep. Tom Davis, chairman of the House Government Reform Committee. ``Examining the effectiveness of the NFL's policy is a key part of understanding why 500,000 high school students today have tried steroids.''

OH please... This is rediculous. The testing of NFL or any pro players has NOTHING to do with the number of high school athletes that do steroids. The reason high school kids do steroids is because high school is a f-cking nightmare if you're not athletic and popular. The really cute girls only like the popular and athletic guys. The football team only plays the most athletic (also usually the most popular) guys. The athletic and popular guys don't get made fun of hardly at all. Everybody else does--- every day--- without exception.

I'm sure that some highschool athlete with all this pressure on him is thinking "Well, steroids might be bad for me, but I want to be just like Todd Sauerbrun."

Lastly, it should be noted that if 500,000 high school kids are KNOWN to be taking roids, then we should assume that there are many more that fly under the radar. If there are really that many, then why the hell aren't those kids dying? I mean, steroids are dangerous right? :rolleyes:

Garcia Bronco
04-20-2005, 08:25 AM
If I were Tags....I would laugh at them.....comp some games for them with hookers......take pictures....and then release it to the media