PDA

View Full Version : USA Today's Sin City Review: 3.5/4

AirForceChief
04-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Pretty much as expected: not so hot screen writing, cool effects, hot chicks. Good thing I don't get paid by the word...

Flesh, fantasy run rampant in 'Sin City'
By Mike Clark, USA TODAY
Frank Miller's SinCity reaps genuine fun with more pummelings than Popeye and enough bad girls to fill a Donna Summer box set.

Jessica Alba plays Nancy Callahan, a stripper with a heart of gold in Sin City.
Dimension Films

But it'll help if you are an enthusiast of comic-book fantasy and stylized sadism with a wink. That's the target audience for this worst-of-all-date-movies. If not, there's an army of scantily clad trollops whose equally stylized sordidness could seduce even E.T.

Told in three parts with, alas, the best one first, City has been lifted with perverse gusto from co-director Miller's popular graphic novels. And like last fall's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (though this is a better film), it benefits more from the novelty of seeing actors imposed against imaginatively computerized backgrounds than any screenwriting to write home about.

If you live in Sin City, you know it's the anti-Mayberry. Elijah Wood's Kevin eats the bodies of women whose heads he then hangs on a wall (say it ain't so, Frodo). As Marv, Mickey Rourke's face looks as if Dr. Frankenstein's mad assistant assembled it from body parts.

And Rourke, in his best role in years, plays one of the film's good guys.

About the movie

Sin City
* * * 1/2 (out of four)
Stars: Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, Brittany Murphy, Benicio Del Toro, Rosario Dawson
Director: Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez
Distributor: Dimension
Rated: R for sustained strong stylized violence, nudity and sexual content, including dialogue.
Opens Friday nationwide

Rourke's character dominates the first story, and Bruce Willis is the focus of the third. Both are motivated by big-hearted babes gone and done wrong, as is the midsection's Clive Owen, embroiled in a gang-war fracas over a waitress in a dive. This movie is full of males who belong in this genre: Willis, Rourke, Benicio Del Toro, Michael Madsen, Rutger Hauer. There's even Quentin Tarantino, who does not appear but helped co-director Robert Rodriguez by directing one rainy scene.

In artfully exaggerated noir fashion, the women are unlikely to be found at a NOW mixer. Rosario Dawson dons what looks to be Victoria's Secret bondage garb — leaving few secrets. Jessica Alba is professionally naughty, and Carla Gugino as a lesbian parole officer guarantees you'll never watch her as Spy Kids' mom the same way again.

Occasionally very funny, the picture tends to coast on its cosmetics. A first-rate script might have made it a twisted masterpiece, not just a visual entrancer whose purposeful ugliness could probably be rendered only as a cartoon.

It'll be interesting to see how time treats City's novelty value once live action/computer screen hybrids become more common. Right now it looks like one of the movies that will define its year even more than the Kill Bill duo did.

Kill Bill, but loooove Carla.

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Sweeet:wayne:

Mr. Laz
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
all i want to know is which "hot chicks" are nude?

was hoping for Alba ... but she bailed on the orginal total nude dance from the original book.

2nd choice would be gugino ... cause i just can't get enough of her.

anyone see it yet? ... i need a nude report :p

lazarus
~proudly preverted~

Tribal Warfare
04-01-2005, 01:22 PM

was hoping for Alba ... but she bailed on the orginal total nude dance from the original book.

I know like it's going to hurt her career.

:rolleyes:

If Angelina Jolie can do it you can to Jessica :thumb:

BIG_DADDY
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM

2nd choice would be gugino ... cause i just can't get enough of her.

anyone see it yet? ... i need a nude report :p

lazarus
~proudly preverted~

I thought you were into the guys being in your face the way you were carrying on the other day. I never see you in the girly thread either.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2005, 01:37 PM
I thought you were into the guys being in your face the way you were carrying on the other day. I never see you in the girly thread either.
dude ... i was one of the people helping you fight to KEEP the girly thread when ioweenie was crying about it.

remember we share an appreciation for Tawney Stone :p

just because i'm not "anti-gay", doesn't mean i'm gay myself ... i'm just a live and let live kinda guy.

keg in kc
04-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I just saw it. I didn't have any problem with the screenwriting. I don't know the comic at all, but I thought the writing totally matched the tone, characters and setting of the film.

There actually wasn't a ton of nudity, James King in the beginning and Gugino in the middle (that's one hot 30+ yo girl :eek: ).

The part about Marv, with Mickey Rourke was amazing. I thought it was so good that it left the rest feeling a little flat. I don't think the rest is bad in any way, but after a beginning like that, it's hard to keep going at that level. The bar was set so high.

Visually it was stunning. The music fit. The acting was good (only one exception, I though, Michael Madsen as Hartigan's parter just seemed wrong).

I think this is one that I can't wait to get on DVD because I have a feeling there will be things that you just can't catch without multiple viewings. The nuances of the colors and so forth. The little things you miss the first time.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2005, 01:52 PM
There actually wasn't a ton of nudity, James King in the beginning and Gugino in the middle (that's one hot 30+ yo girl :eek: ).
thanks... gugino is a fav of mine

totally smokin' :thumb:

keg in kc
04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Gugino was in the beginning, too, now that I think about it. She was Marv's parole officer.

laz, there's a pretty decent screen of her from the film towards the bottom of the page (NSFW...): http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html

I loved her on Karen Sisco last year. I guess I was the only one, judging by the ratings.

Mr. Laz
04-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Gugino was in the beginning, too, now that I think about it. She was Marv's parole officer.

laz, there's a pretty decent screen of her from the film towards the bottom of the page (NSFW...): http://www.filmrot.com/images/sincity-comparisons/sincity.html

I loved her on Karen Sisco last year. I guess I was the only one, judging by the ratings.

thanks again... here's a little bit clearer version of it

Not Safe For Work

Deberg_1990
04-01-2005, 05:26 PM

She was smokin HOT as Karen Sisco

the Talking Can
04-01-2005, 07:32 PM
The part about Marv, with Mickey Rourke was amazing. I thought it was so good that it left the rest feeling a little flat. I don't think the rest is bad in any way, but after a beginning like that, it's hard to keep going at that level. The bar was set so high.

just saw it, I agree totally...the first "story" is outstanding and makes the rest of the movie pale...Gugino is hot and plenty naked