PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Ron Dayne

HolmeZz
04-01-2005, 05:59 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/

I guess they made it a point this off-season to add as many 1st round busts as possible. ROFL

TRR
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Not the type of runner that will thrive in their cut blocking scheme. Dayne has terrible lateral quickness. Something that makes Denver RB's successfull.

Deberg_1990
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Geez.......The Rat has finally reached the bottom of the barrel. I guess he saw how tough he ran against our soft D last pre-season??

Archie Bunker
04-01-2005, 06:02 PM
:)

The Browncos are having a rough offseason.

buddha
04-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Dayne doesn't make any sense in that offense at all. I could see a power running attack like Pittsburgh or some place like that, but Denver? The Donks' luck has obviously run out on running backs!

ck_IN
04-01-2005, 06:04 PM
He's big enough to turn into a FB but I wonder if he'd go for it.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:06 PM
Works for me.

tk13
04-01-2005, 06:09 PM
Works for me.
ROFL ROFL That's the best April Fool's joke I've heard ALL DAY!

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:18 PM

All we did was replace Reuban Droughns, who nobody knew anything about until he ran in our system. I get it. You guys hear the name Ron Dayne, and all the disappointment that went along with his hype, and you find it occassion to laugh. Go you!

As for me, I welcome Dayne into the fold. We've got the best running staff in the league, and he's a guy who can profit from taking advantage of the situation he finds himself in... Just like Reubs just did. And if he doesn't, oh well... Tatum Bell is our starter anyway.

HolmeZz
04-01-2005, 06:20 PM
I'd take Minnesota's backs over yours. And I would've taken Priest/LJ/Blaylock over your RBs too.

ck_IN
Taco, legit question here:

With Anderson coming back and Q. Griffen healthy again (assuming on both counts) and now Ron Dayne exactly what's the plan for you guys at RB?

I'd assume Anderson as the everydown with Griffen as the 3rd down back. What's the scoop?

Deberg_1990
All we did was replace Reuban Droughns, who nobody knew anything about until he ran in our system. I get it. You guys hear the name Ron Dayne, and all the disappointment that went along with his hype, and you find it occassion to laugh. Go you!

As for me, I welcome Dayne into the fold. We've got the best running staff in the league, and he's a guy who can profit from taking advantage of the situation he finds himself in... Just like Reubs just did. And if he doesn't, oh well... Tatum Bell is our starter anyway.

As a Chiefs fan, I couldnt be happier! Dayne might be the crappiest RB in the league.

Rain Man
May I be the first to offer up the nickname "Mun Dayne?"

Red Dawg
04-01-2005, 06:23 PM
That is truly a pathedic signing. Ron Dayne? what a joke. Maybe we should bring back Bennet.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Excellent. :thumb:

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Excellent. :thumb:
You have always had the greatest signature ending ever.

Hammock Parties
Seems like a total waste of cap dollars to me.

Frazod
You have always had the greatest signature ending ever.

Yeah, it works for me. :D

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:32 PM
ROFL

Excellent.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:32 PM
The Browncows are really confusing me this year. I think Shanarat may be spending too much time in the bottle.

tk13
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah, that's a good point, Shanahan veered off the master plan. You think Earnest Byner or Jim Brown would be available...

WebGem
This is bad news. The Broncos are no longer playoff contenders. I was kind of looking forward to that game in Indy televised on comedy central during the Chiefs bye week in January. Oh well, I guess I'll plan a vacation or something.

Red Dawg
As a Chiefs fan, I couldnt be happier! Dayne might be the crappiest RB in the league.

one of them. I'm glad they picked him up. Taco wouldn't be talikng shiat if it was us. He be laughing just like we are right now.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
If we had signed Dayne he'd be making Priest-related injury threads.

stevieray
04-01-2005, 06:37 PM

If you had the best running staff in the league, you'd lead the league in rushing and Priest Holmes wouldn't hold the TD record.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:39 PM
Yeah, that's a good point, Shanahan veered off the master plan. You think Earnest Byner or Jim Brown would be available...
I think Carl should take advantage of this while the drugs are still in effect.

Bartee for a 3rd? This way, we would no longer have to "enlighten" those who keep suggesting we trade our third for Surtain!

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:40 PM
The best running staff in the league? ROFL

unlurking
If you had the best running staff in the league, you'd lead the league in rushing and Priest Holmes wouldn't hold the TD record.
Um, you mean he wouldn't hold TWO TD records!

;)

Taco John
Taco, legit question here:

With Anderson coming back and Q. Griffen healthy again (assuming on both counts) and now Ron Dayne exactly what's the plan for you guys at RB?

I'd assume Anderson as the everydown with Griffen as the 3rd down back. What's the scoop?

Our plan is to let a bunch of guys to compete against eachother and cut the ones that don't work out.

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Spin it, Taco...spin it.

Rausch
04-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Yet another division rival lands a guy I'm a fan of. Dayne never did develop into the next great "phat back."

Of course, he never got the chance. Barber was their man there and deserved to be. I figured some team like the Ravens or Steelers would pick him up...

stevieray

Maybe he meant the best cutblock staff....it's the only way they can run the ball.

unlurking
Our plan is to let a bunch of guys to compete against eachother and cut the ones that don't work out.
Didn't you just say Tatum was the man?

stevieray
Um, you mean he wouldn't hold TWO TD records!

;)

Good point.

Hammock Parties

I have to agree with TJ. Year in and year out Denver has a good running game. I mean c'mon. Shanahan's gotten 1,000 yards out of Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns and next year he'll do it again with Tatum Bell.

Don't get me wrong, the Donks aren't going anywhere as long as the Rat is in charge, but they will ALWAYS have a good running game.

Saulbadguy
Maybe he meant the best cutback staff....it's the only way they can run the ball.
The best canola oil & cutback staff.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:43 PM
Didn't you just say Tatum was the man?

He's the projected starter, if that's what you mean...

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 06:43 PM
I have to agree with TJ. Year in and year out Denver has a good running game. I mean c'mon. Shanahan's gotten 1,000 yards out of Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Ruben Droughns and next year he'll do it again with Tatum Bell.

Don't get me wrong, the Donks aren't going anywhere as long as the Rat is in charge, but they will ALWAYS have a good running game.
They had a GOOD running game with TD and Clinton Portis. They had a servicable game with Gary, Anderson, and Ruben.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe he meant the best cutback staff....it's the only way they can run the ball.

The cut back is a big part of our offense.

keg in kc
04-01-2005, 06:44 PM
It just gets better and better. I'm almost at the "pinch me, 'cause I must be dreaming" stage watching the donkey offseason moves.

|Zach|
04-01-2005, 06:45 PM
Well it seems as though the Chiefs and Broncos have something in common in that they both have 2 pathetic heissman (sp?) winners on their teams.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:46 PM
He's the projected starter, if that's what you mean...
So why have all these back-ups compete? I mean, shouldn't you be bringing in some QBs to compete?

Taco John
They had a GOOD running game with TD and Clinton Portis. They had a servicable game with Gary, Anderson, and Ruben.

At what yardage marker do you make the distinction?

Also, we didn't have just a "Good" running game with Portis and TD. Good is what we were with Gary, Anderson, and Reuben.

I'm unfazed by this news, and am suprised anybody would be.

Hammock Parties

No, with Portis it was one of the best running games in the league. I'm glad that f*cker is gone.

"serviceable" is 4 yards a carry. Denver averaged 4.4 as a team and Droughns averaged 4.5. I'd wager that he will never approach that ever again.

stevieray

At the expense of injured players in their wake. They even ended Terrell Davis' career.

Besides, a 1000 yards isn't really that much anymore.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
It just gets better and better. I'm almost at the "pinch me, 'cause I must be dreaming" stage watching the donkey offseason moves.
Exactly!

And if we were to actually land Surtain?!

The dream is alive!

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
So why have all these back-ups compete? I mean, shouldn't you be bringing in some QBs to compete?

The offseason is over already?

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
At the expense of injured players in their wake. They even ended Terrell Davis' career.

I agree, but Droughns got 1,250 and did it in 12 or 13 games.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 06:49 PM
I don't think there will ever be a thread that doesn't have the three stooges on it.

Bah. I barely post over in the D.C. Forum.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:50 PM

Ignorance...

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:51 PM
If the Broncos win more than 8 games, I will be surprised.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 06:51 PM

ROFL

stevieray
04-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Ignorance...

Really, which of your olineman rolled up on TD...?

He was never the same.

unlurking
04-01-2005, 06:53 PM
The offseason is over already?
I was just under the impression that Jake was "the man" in Denver. If that ever changes, then I may worry about the Broncs. Until then, I have seen a LOT of moves by the Broncs this offseason, and not one that I think addresses a need or is an improvement. (Except maybe Gold, but I thought you were pretty solid in your LB corp already.)

WebGem
04-01-2005, 06:56 PM
When the Broncos get a QB that isn't someone who makes it a sure thing their team goes nowhere as long as he's starting, then I will think about considering them a winning team. Plummer will NEVER take a team to a conference championship.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM

He was never the same.

Fool. Terrell Davis was injured running down a defender on a Griese INT.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Over how many seasons? :D

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 06:58 PM

I wouldn't go that far. But I'd be surprised if they won more than 10 games.

stevieray
04-01-2005, 07:00 PM

By one of his own lineman, moe.

WebGem
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I wouldn't go that far. But I'd be surprised if they won more than 10 games.
I will. The division is going to be a lot tougher, and they will have to start very well and win atleast 4 division games to have any chance at 10 wins. That won't happen.

WebGem
04-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Over how many seasons? :D
You mean decades?

Frazod
04-01-2005, 07:05 PM
You mean decades?

In a perfect world. :)

Saulbadguy
04-01-2005, 07:10 PM
By one of his own lineman, moe.
Which one do I get to be? Shemp?

Den9899
04-01-2005, 07:11 PM

If by "they" you mean Matt Lepsis while chasing after a DB on an INT, then you are correct. Cut blocks are real effective in that situation. Where'd you get your higher education at Cletus? Shouldn't you be getting all dressed up for some White Trash Elvis convention bucko?

http://www.ecotox.dk/mullet.jpg

Rain Man
04-01-2005, 07:14 PM

Matt Lepsis killed him. He saw a guy facing the other way, and he took out his knee by force of habit.

Honestly, that was too bad. Davis was one of the few Broncos EVER that I've actually kind of liked. And of course everyone hates Lepsis, unless of course it's third and long and then you're kind of glad he's out there.

Rain Man
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Which one do I get to be? Shemp?

Slightly off topic, but that Joe stooge really gave me the willies. He just wasn't right.

Taco John
04-01-2005, 07:16 PM

He was never the same.

TD and Lepsis were chasing the same interception... You're like some of the whiners who blame Griese for ending TD's career because he threw an interception. Now you're saying that our runningbacks commonly get their career's shortened because our linemen roll up on them.

And fine, if you want to say something about Karma, I'll remind you that your team has won three playoff games in 30 years. I think we've got you beat in the karma department.

Rain Man
04-01-2005, 07:18 PM
TD and Lepsis were chasing the same interception... You're like some of the whiners who blame Griese for ending TD's career because he threw an interception. Now you're saying that our runningbacks commonly get their career's shortened because our linemen roll up on them.

And fine, if you want to say something about Karma, I'll remind you that your team has won three playoff games in 30 years. I think we've got you beat in the karma department.

All that cheating on the salary cap is going to catch up to you, though.

the Talking Can
04-01-2005, 07:20 PM
holy crap....Dayne is the Ryan Sims of RBs....hilarious

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 07:27 PM

What did the Chiefs ever do to deserve such karma. :deevee:

PunkinDrublic
04-01-2005, 07:33 PM
It's as if the donks front office is trying to outdo itself trying to make the crappiest free agent signing possible. I mean Ron Dayne just makes no since whatsoever to try and sign. If I were a donk fan I'd be embarrassed.

beer bacon
04-01-2005, 07:35 PM

I am glad you too believe we are due for a SB win soon Taco. It means a lot coming from someone who is such an avid Broncos fan.

Bowser
04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

*deep breath*

Wooooooo............

Bowser
04-01-2005, 07:38 PM
What's next, Taco? Is Shanny gonna bring in David Boston to replace the aging Rod Smith?

stevieray
04-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Commonly? Those are your words.
We have a higher winning percentage in SB's.

HOF? This isn't karma.

stevieray
04-01-2005, 07:51 PM
If by "they" you mean Matt Lepsis while chasing after a DB on an INT, then you are correct. Cut blocks are real effective in that situation. Where'd you get your higher education at Cletus? Shouldn't you be getting all dressed up for some White Trash Elvis convention bucko?

http://www.ecotox.dk/mullet.jpg

another lonely Friday night, huh?

That's too bad.

morphius
04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Well, he may get a 1000 yards for them, but I don't see him racking up the TD's that they are going to need with Plummer as QB. Of course anyone could put up 1000 yards there.

chiefsfolife
04-01-2005, 07:54 PM

**** you and your beloved donkeys biaaatch

Bowser
04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
Well, he may get a 1000 yards for them, but I don't see him racking up the TD's that they are going to need with Plummer as QB. Of course anyone could put up 1000 yards there.

To be a 1000 yard rusher, you have to rush for like 62 yards a game. Wooo.

I'm betting Shanny will make him a fullback. Or maybe a guard.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Personally I don't see this as that bad of a signing. he's not really that big of a bust. He had a couple of good years splitting carries with Tiki Barber in the "Thunder and Lightning" years.

He got too fat, but last year lost a ton of weight and looked really good in pre-season (including lighting us up). I expected to see more of him during the regular season, but Tiki ended up having the best year of his career. He's a good addition in terms of adding depth.

Obviously, they didn't bring him in to be the starter. Considering Denver's had less talented backs shred us, I'm not sure I'm willing to laugh about Dayne.

whoman69
04-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised that noone seems to remember what the career day defense did for Dayne last year. He might not have even made the team without that game.

Mr. Kotter
04-01-2005, 09:16 PM
I'm surprised that noone seems to remember what the career day defense did for Dayne last year. He might not have even made the team without that game.

You mean, the preseason game?

Eleazar
04-01-2005, 10:50 PM
As a chiefs fan I give the Browncos offseason an A so far.

Archie Bunker
04-01-2005, 10:59 PM

:clap: It is a nice collection of busts they are putting together. I hear Andre Ware is being brought into challenge Plummer and Tony Mandarich and Brian Bozworth are in negotiations with the Broncos.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe they could bring in Bam Morris... I hear he got out of jail.

TEX
04-01-2005, 11:04 PM

An "A" for EFFORT and I'm with ya. At least they try to upgrade every year, even in a cap tight one. (It's much too soon for them to cheat again this year) But this year they seem to be signing some real "stiffs". To their credit however, there's not much risk and if it all works out there could be much reward... :hmmm:

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2005, 02:31 AM

He who laughs last, laughs best. 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17 45-17

Taco John
04-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Anyway, I'm actually suprisingly pleased with out offseason. If we manage to keep Trevor in-house, I think we've got some serious potential on D. I like the depth the deals with the Browns provides, but more than that, I like how little we gave up to make them.

Rausch
04-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Anyway, I'm actually suprisingly pleased with out offseason.

You've got to be kidding me.

Right now your number 1 need, the offense, hasn't been touched. I think people are seriously underestimating the impact Dayne can have for you, but I don't think Shanny will let him go until week 5-8. IMHO he's the best back on your roster right now.

Other than that you're hurting. Smith is another year older and there is no clear no 2 or 3 on your team. I'd know, I've watched $#itty WR's for years.

Your offensive line is hurting, I don't think your HC will play your best back until midseason, and your WR's aren't stepping up.

It looks like another season of kick-tail defense and the offense screwing them out of a playoff win/spot...

Mile High Mania
04-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Rausch, that's some of the craziest stuff I've read.

Lelie is clearly the #2 receiver, he's established himself and should continue to improve. There is a bit of bottleneck behind him on the depth chart.

As for Dayne... this is another signing that simply doesn't do much for me. Dayne is a 'preseason stud' and then vanishes. Bell and Anderson are better than him in the Denver system. Bell will be the featured back and will rack up 1200+ yds this season. As well, I won't be shocked to see a RB selected with one of the R3 comp picks.

I've thought back to '95-96 when Shanahan brought in a bunch of vets, some had skins on the walls while others did not. I wonder if he's trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice with some of these signings. So, far... I'm accepting it and willing to see what happens. However, while the action on the FA/trade market has been nice, I'm not too terribly excited about any of the new guys.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I think people are seriously underestimating the impact Dayne can have for you, but I don't think Shanny will let him go until week 5-8. IMHO he's the best back on your roster right now.I think somebody's been smokin' the wacky tobaccy.

Dayne sucks.

Iowanian
04-02-2005, 09:31 AM
you know......Ron Dayne isn't a big signing for the Donks, but I Guarantee, by week 1, someone is going to throw some "ron dayne ran for 2 long TDs vs KC last preseason" smack.

As long as a KC operative, shows Dayne where the Wafflehouse is, he won't hurt anyone.

bringbackmarty
04-02-2005, 11:25 AM
i'd be interested to know the duration of some of these bronco contracts, as well as the terms. Shannahan probably feel like he can polish the broncos into a shiny turd, but I have a feelin' it'll be his last year. There is no defensive line happenin', rod smith and lelie ain't scarin me a bit, and the snake? what a joke. That said they will run the ball well. But, we will play the run a lot better with Bell, and Knight. If we get a healthy Maz he can play mlb, and Bell can put his hand on the ground durin running situations. On passing downs, Put Bell in the middle