PDA

View Full Version : Attention Beer Drinkers : How much beer do you consume and do you ......

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 09:20 PM
How much beer do you consume and do you or have you ever had kidney stones.I don't know, it has been said and rumored that a few beers now and then helps flush the kidneys out.

I ask this because I just had my 2nd bout with these basturds this week and currently feeling like a 3rd bout is nearing .

I use to drink for 15 years, a social drinker, but know to tie one on from time to time. Never had any problems with kidney stones. Keep in mind I was younger, age 17 - 32 during this time.

Now for the last 15 years, really the last 5 years, I have had 2 bouts with this.

Some of the members here know I gave up drinking from our annual get togethers with the foundation, but I telling ya, something has to give.

I sent my daughter after some beer....... Like I said.....Something has to give.

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Been drinking pretty heavy for close to forty years no problem. Do you watch Deadwood? Al Sweringen there is having a heck of a time with them and drinks whisky. :hmmm:

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Drank my first pint of Jack at 16.
Been hooked on it ever since. Hard to believe 22 years have passed

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 09:36 PM
No, what is Deadwood ? I don't get to watch alot of TV programs to start with.

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
No, what is Deadwood ? I don't get to watch alot of TV programs to start with.

It is a western on HBO, Sunday nights. Been a lot of threads on here about it. They went up his pee hole with hemostats to extract the stones. Listened for a rattle to find them! Greausome (sp) seen, if you have half the pain Al has I really feel sorry for you!

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Drank my first pint of Jack at 16.
Been hooked on it ever since. Hard to believe 22 years have passed

I just finished off a half gallon of Gentleman Jack tonight, umm, it took several nights. Love the stuff!

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I just finished off a half gallon of Gentleman Jack tonight, umm, it took several nights. Love the stuff!
Nectar of the gods :drool:

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Yep, my 1st beer in 15 years is slowly going down.

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
After taking a damn loritab 3 hrs ago, I will probally get a quick buzz in about 30 minutes. LOL

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Yep, my 1st beer in 15 years is slowly going down.

Yep I need to add the Kidney Stone prevention excuse to my list, that is a good one! ROFL

Skip Towne
04-01-2005, 09:54 PM
I drink 5 or 6 beers every day and have for 40+ years. I used to drink more than that. But I also drink large amounts of water all day. I'm almost 60 and still no stones.

chiefs4me
04-01-2005, 09:56 PM
After taking a damn loritab 3 hrs ago, I will probally get a quick buzz in about 30 minutes. LOL

Just be careful mixing the meds and beer......okay. I mean you said it's been awhile :)

NaptownChief
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Three to Six per day and no stones....My guess if you drink a lot you either won't get them or relaxed and drunk enough that you won't notice. :D

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Three to Six per day and no stones....My guess if you drink a lot you either won't get them or relaxed and drunk enough that you won't notice. :D

I'm going to try one a day for awhile, these basturds hurt like hell , I mean really fuggn hurt.

BTW, I noticed on the other site you mentioned the back surgery, Hate to hear it. I wasn't aware it was bothering you more.

Hope all goes well, I know mine is geting worse.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2005, 10:04 PM
I drink 5 or 6 beers every day and have for 40+ years. I used to drink more than that. But I also drink large amounts of water all day. I'm almost 60 and still no stones.

Damn.

NaptownChief
04-01-2005, 10:09 PM
I'm going to try one a day for awhile, these basturds hurt like hell , I mean really fuggn hurt.

BTW, I noticed on the other site you mentioned the back surgery, Hate to hear it. I wasn't aware it was bothering you more.

Hope all goes well, I know mine is geting worse.

Thanks...It has gone from flaring up pretty bad once every two or three months to having me walk around with a cane every two or three weeks the passed several months. Still limping out to the golf course but it is getting tougher and tougher.

ROYC75
04-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Right now with my knees and back, I'm not sure if I can play any, at least not now. These routine workouts have speeded up the arthritis in both knees and the back is getting worst.

I need to hit the lottery just to get healthy again.

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm about to get a quick buzz as soo as I get this one rolled :D

NaptownChief
04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
The back pain has also contributed to the increased beer drinking...I have always drank my share but weekend drinking mixed with the occassional weekly drinking has turned into daily consumption. The alcohol helps relax the whole body relax which in turn helps minimize the muscle spasms that result from the nerve flare ups. So you could say I just drink for medicinal purposes. :D

Skip Towne
04-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Damn.
Yeah, and I haven't been to a doctor in 40 years either. Pretty lucky.

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
You old farts need to take better care of your selves! :p

NaptownChief
04-01-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, and I haven't been to a doctor in 40 years either. Pretty lucky.

Man, you have missed out on 20 annual fondlings by Dr Jelly Finger.

Skip Towne
04-01-2005, 10:17 PM
The back pain has also contributed to the increased beer drinking...I have always drank my share but weekend drinking mixed with the occassional weekly drinking has turned into daily consumption. The alcohol helps relax the whole body relax which in turn helps minimize the muscle spasms that result from the nerve flare ups. So you could say I just drink for medicinal purposes. :D
I'll drink to that!!

NaptownChief
04-01-2005, 10:18 PM
You old farts need to take better care of your selves! :p

Tough part is I'm only 33....I just move around like an old fart anymore.

Skip Towne
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Man, you have missed out on 20 annual fondlings by Dr Jelly Finger.
I'll pass.

HemiEd
04-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Tough part is I'm only 33....I just move around like an old fart anymore.

Wow, that is not good. I guess I have been very fortunate. Heal good I guess.

Skip Towne
04-01-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh, yeah, I smoke three packs per day too. Really. If everybody acted like I do there would only be three doctors in the whole US.

chiefs4me
04-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm about to get a quick buzz as soo as I get this one rolled :D

:)

Over-Head
04-01-2005, 10:41 PM
No wonder ya got such a sharp toung ya cranky OLD bastard!
Ya got 20 some fuggen years experience on me 4321

Phobia
04-02-2005, 12:02 AM
You can achieve the same stone fighting power of beer by drinking a glass of water.

I've not had a problem with stones and since I recently gave up diet coke (kinda - I don't "stock" it at home any longer, I'll buy a can 2 or 3 times a week though), I expect my chances of getting them to be greatly reduced.

ROYC75
04-02-2005, 10:01 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I've got a buddy who's my age (26), drinks about as heavily as I do, and he's had multiple bouts w/ kidney stones in the past few years.

I suspected it, rumors and tall tales.........

I use to drink soda pop daily, 3-4 cans per day until after the 1st bout, 5 years ago. Then I switched to water, I thought I had it whipped.

Then I started this heavy dose of vitamins, supplements and workouts to lose weight, hoping that the less load to carry will help the old body out.

I have a hunch it's too much calcium, 1 tablet per day plus what comes along with a multi vitamin and other food intakes. Not only plan on cutting it out which I have, I think I will study the intake of others I'm taking and see if the body is getting too much other vitamins.

Right now, I'm just weak, no strength to workout and hurt so much all over, bad back,bad knees, bad feet arches. From the chest down, I need new parts. :banghead:

BTW, the 2 beers last night after 15 years lit a charge in my head. Damn, it has been 32 years since that shit has ever happened. ROFL

Eleazar
04-02-2005, 10:05 AM
I go out about once a week and have 6 or 7. But, I drink huge amounts of water. No stones yet.

Course I am 25 so this info probably isn't helping you :D

BigOlChiefsfan
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Roy, with the vitamins you're taking your calcium/magnesium balance is probably out of wack. More info here:

http://www.doctoryourself.com/kidney.html

P.S. I love good beer, and enjoy one or two with food or football every chance I get...but never drink more than 3 imperial pints (20oz) a day, and seldom drink more than a 12 pack a month. Has more to do with controlling my expanding waistline than my kidneys, tho.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Hey, you've inspired me. Haven't had a brew since St. Patty's Day. Might rectify that later on.

cadmonkey
04-02-2005, 02:51 PM
I've been drinking pretty heavy for about 12 years now, I'm 27, and I havn't had stones yet. I've had some other problems but that's not what your asking.

No stones here.