PDA

View Full Version : What's the worst movie you've seen this year...

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 10:51 PM
in the theater OR at home.

For me... definitely "Racing Stripes." There's no comparison. "Miss Congeniality 2" comes in second. I haven't seen too much at home that was bad.

Eleazar
04-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Holy crap, they made another miss congeniality? :shake:

jspchief
04-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I just watched Ladder 49 and thought it was absolute crap.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Holy crap, they made another miss congeniality? :shake:
Yeah, "Armed & Fabulous." My favorite quote from my review, "This film is armed and dangerous. I got dumber by the minute."

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I haven't seen it, but id didn't get great reviews. General consensus of KC area reviewers is it would have gotten worse reviews if it wasn't about firefighters.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 11:03 PM
I haven't seen it, but id didn't get great reviews. General consensus of KC area reviewers is it would have gotten worse reviews if it wasn't about firefighters.

It's like someone said "firefighters are popular right now, lets make a movie about them", without having any real screenplay or original story to tell. Besides the fact that is was predictable and unoriginal, it's like they had 45 minutes worth of material, and filled the other 45 minutes with what I call "movie music videos".

VonneMarie
04-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Be Cool. It's long and boring, except the parts with The Rock.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Be Cool. It's long and boring, except the parts with The Rock.
IMO, you must have seen some really good films this year. While I didn't think Be Cool was anywhere near as good as Get Shorty, I thought it was entertaining in the least.

Phobia
04-01-2005, 11:07 PM

Great. That one is queued up, ready to start at my house.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:09 PM
That's funny... so watch it and give us another opinion on it.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Great. That one is queued up, ready to start at my house.Interested to hear your opinion. I had people recommend it, but I thought it was aweful. Hope I didn't ruin it for you.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:11 PM

I liked it. Kind of a poor's man Backdraft. :D

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I liked it. Kind of a poor's man Backdraft. :D
And that's the reason Hollywood should burn... there's NO reason to make a "poor man's" version of ANYTHING! As a struggling filmmaker with tons of ideas that are fairly new and creative, who can't catch a break, this shit really pisses me off.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:19 PM
And that's the reason Hollywood should burn... there's NO reason to make a "poor man's" version of ANYTHING! As a struggling filmmaker with tons of ideas that are fairly new and creative, who can't catch a break, this shit really pisses me off.

I'm kind of a sucker for sappy heroic faire, so I didn't have a problem with it. Plus, I borrowed the DVD from my neighbor, so it was free. I certainly don't plan on adding it to my collection, though.

The biggest problem I had with it was the lack of a real plot or true antagonist.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I liked it. Kind of a poor's man Backdraft. :DMore like Backdraft minus a plot or original story.

Here's the screenplay:

rookie firefighter
girl
death
marriage
hero
fires
death

Insert an occasional 4 minute song with movies clips (I guess to sell soundtracks?), and you have Ladder 49.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I'm kind of a sucker for sappy heroic faire, so I didn't have a problem with it. Plus, I borrowed the DVD from my neighbor, so it was free. I certainly don't plan on adding it to my collection, though.

The biggest problem I had with it was the lack of a real plot or true antagonist.
I don't blame people for enjoying it... it just makes me mad that I can't get significant funding to shoot something original but THM (that's The Hollywood Machine, in my world) can put out the same trash over and over and over again and people will suck it up because that's all they're used to.

Phobia
04-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Interested to hear your opinion. I had people recommend it, but I thought it was aweful. Hope I didn't ruin it for you.

Not really, I don't value your opinion at all. ;)

I have a goofy taste for movies. I don't need too much to be entertained, but if a movie is over-the-top gore, drugs, or sensationalism I'm out. I can be entertained without being grossed out or having my intelligence insulted. Which is why I don't care for Sean Penn movies nor QT.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
More like Backdraft minus a plot or original story.

Here's the screenplay:

rookie firefighter
girl
death
marriage
hero
fires
death

Insert an occasional 4 minute song with movies clips (I guess to sell soundtracks?), and you have Ladder 49.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. :D

VonneMarie
04-01-2005, 11:23 PM
IMO, you must have seen some really good films this year. While I didn't think Be Cool was anywhere near as good as Get Shorty, I thought it was entertaining in the least.
That's your opinion. To each it's own.

dilligaf
04-01-2005, 11:24 PM
I thought The Pacifier sucked bad. Vin Diesel should stick to action movies. Very predictable. :harumph:

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
That's your opinion. To each it's own.
Sure, that's why the very beginning of my post said "IMO"... I was just a little surprised that that was the movie that came to you as the worst so far of the year.

But yeah... to each his own. :thumb:

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't blame people for enjoying it... it just makes me mad that I can't get significant funding to shoot something original but THM (that's The Hollywood Machine, in my world) can put out the same trash over and over and over again and people will suck it up because that's all they're used to.

Backdraft was made in '91, and that's the last firefighter-themed movie I remember seeing. It's not like they're churning them out three a year.

But I certainly understand your anger.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Backdraft was made in '91, and that's the last firefighter-themed movie I remember seeing. It's not like they're churning them out three a year.

But I certainly understand your anger.
No, you're right, there aren't too many films involving firefighters, but that doesn't make it unlike 40 other films in the past decade in plot... whether it deals with firefighters, cops, or just friends. It's a story that never changes, never evolves. To make it interesting and new, there has to be some kind of twist to the story.

BTW, there's a commercial for Miss Congeniality 2 on right now on FOX4... just reminded me... damn that movie sucks.

VonneMarie
04-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Sure, that's why the very beginning of my post said "IMO"... I was just a little surprised that that was the movie that came to you as the worst so far of the year.

But yeah... to each his own. :thumb:
You should've put stupidest shows. I'm watching Mr.Romance and for the life of me I can't understand why Gonzo's little brother is on that show. :Lin:

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:31 PM
No, you're right, there aren't too many films involving firefighters, but that doesn't make it unlike 40 other films in the past decade in plot... whether it deals with firefighters, cops, or just friends. It's a story that never changes, never evolves. To make it interesting and new, there has to be some kind of twist to the story.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

I was kind of surprised when he died at the end. But then again, so did Kurt Russell, so maybe I shouldn't have been.

Logical
04-01-2005, 11:31 PM

Not saying you would make the next self absorbed film noir that populates non-THM, but I consider almost all of it crap. Art is usually personal and should in general be kept out of the entertainment industry IMO. I just want to relax and be either absorbed into the escapism or have a good laugh. I guess that is why I like movies like Barbershop and hate movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:32 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

Thanks for that... I read ahead anyway, because I just don't care to see it, but rep for you. Much appreciated.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for that... I read ahead anyway, because I just don't care to see it, but rep for you. Much appreciated.

No problem. I'd hate to ruin the movie for somebody who hasn't seen it.

Of course, you would have probably seen it coming anyway. :D

Logical
04-01-2005, 11:36 PM
To answer your question though assuming you meant the last 12 months not just in 2005 my answer is "The Ladykillers" I never imagined Tom Hanks could make something that bad.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:36 PM
Not saying you would make the next self absorbed film noir that populates non-THM, but I consider almost all of it crap. Art is usually personal and should in general be kept out of the entertainment industry IMO. I just want to relax and be either absorbed into the escapism or have a good laugh. I guess that is why I like movies like Barbershop and hate movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
No, I agree... there's a lot of self-absorbed crap out there in the independent circuit, too, but a lot of the greatest films out there never get seen because people only watch the mass marketed big star crap. The films I'm trying to make aren't too serious and I'm not trying to sell an agenda or say something socially significant. I just want to entertain people. I want to make people laugh and cry. But I do want people to have to think -- I believe that entertaining doesn't have to be mindless, which is 99 percent of what we get from THM.

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:38 PM
To answer your question though assuming you meant the last 12 months not just in 2005 my answer is "The Ladykillers" I never imagined Tom Hanks could make something that bad.
Now, see... I enjoyed The Ladykillers (although not nearly as much as the original). But then, I tend to think the Coen Brothers shit gold.

jspchief
04-01-2005, 11:39 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!
Here's a tip for posting spoilers:
Change the font color to match the background color of whatever BB you're on. That way you have to left-click highlight it to read what you're saying. I always do that along with a spoiler warning to save morons from themselves.

Like this:

~~Frazod is a pussy~~

It's tough on the planet though because of alternating background colors.

Frazod
04-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Here's a tip for posting spoilers:
Change the font color to match the background color of whatever BB you're on. That way you have to left-click highlight it to read what you're saying. I always do that along with a spoiler warning to save morons from themselves.

Like this

~~Frazod is a pussy.~~

I'll keep that in mind, and edit my post accordingly.

Thanks for the tip, dickhead. :p

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I'll keep that in mind, and edit my post accordingly.

Thanks for the tip, dickhead. :p
And as we just saw, if you'll just use white as the text color, you can't see it on white and it's REALLY hard to see it on the gray.

Did you hear Surtain and the Cheifs agreed to a contract in principle?

Logical
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Now, see... I enjoyed The Ladykillers (although not nearly as much as the original). But then, I tend to think the Coen Brothers shit gold.

I like several of their movies,

The Big Lebowski
Raising Arizona
Intolerable Cruelty
Fargo
O Brother Where Ar't Thou?

But I sure hated Ladykillers

Fire Me Boy!
04-01-2005, 11:57 PM
What about

The Man Who Wasn't There
The Hudsucker Proxy
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing
Blood Simple

I haven't seen ANYTHING of theirs I didn't like.

Gravedigger
04-01-2005, 11:58 PM
Robots... it had it's parts and amazing animation but overall Pixar hasn't released a good one since finding nemo and I was very let down. But I haven't seen alot of movies this year.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Robots... it had it's parts and amazing animation but overall Pixar hasn't released a good one since finding nemo and I was very let down. But I haven't seen alot of movies this year.
Yeah, I was disappointed with Robots... I kinda thought I just shouldn't have watched it the same week I saw The Incredibles.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
ON DVD
Friday night lights
not only did i hate that movie it made it to the TOP 10 worst movies iv ever seen.

In Theaters
Ring 2 All most wlaked out on it.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
ON DVD
Friday night lights
not only did i hate that movie it made it to the TOP 10 worst movies iv ever seen.

In Theaters
Ring 2 All most wlaked out on it.
:hmmm: I had hear Friday Night Lights was pretty good... and I hadn't heard good things about The Ring 2.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
:hmmm: I had hear Friday Night Lights was pretty good... and I hadn't heard good things about The Ring 2.

Friday night Lights hate that movie SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ring 2 all i have to say is Deer are not scary
on that note it also had some very Cheesy lines

J Diddy
04-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Dude I thought racing stripes was great...

So did my kids.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Dude I thought racing stripes was great...

So did my kids.
:shake: You have no idea how much that saddens me...

To each his own, as said previously... but seriously... that movie sucks. :harumph:

And just so you know, if you enjoyed it, great, I really am glad... I'm just being a movie snob.

melbar
04-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Lost in translation was the biggest piece of poop I've ever had the mispleasure to wasting 2 hours of my life on.

J Diddy
04-02-2005, 01:03 AM
:shake: You have no idea how much that saddens me...

To each his own, as said previously... but seriously... that movie sucks. :harumph:

And just so you know, if you enjoyed it, great, I really am glad... I'm just being a movie snob.

Damn those uppercrust movie snobs....

:banghead:

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:03 AM
Lost in translation was the biggest piece of poop I've ever had the mispleasure to wasting 2 hours of my life on.

:shake:

Sometimes I lose faith in the general movie watching public.

I'm really kind of making myself out to be a movie snob, aren't I? Really, I'm not that bad... don't hate me. :deevee:

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:04 AM
Damn those uppercrust movie snobs....

:banghead:
ROFL

melbar
04-02-2005, 01:10 AM

I'm really kind of making myself out to be a movie snob, aren't I? Really, I'm not that bad... don't hate me. :deevee:

Oh come on! I'm a professional entertainer, director, and creative director , I live in the arts and I love movies that are and stories that take a different path ,or approach something from a very creative way, but that wasnt art . That was boredom. I know that was the point, but isnt entertainment on some, hell, any level .

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:12 AM

Lost in Translation is funny if you have ever visted another country

melbar
04-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Lost in Translation is funny if you have ever visted another country

I have, and maybe the times I was alone in another country...but all it does is bring back the awkward boredom.and not in a funny way...at all...by the way i never stayed that way long, I found something remotely interesting to do.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Oh come on! I'm a professional entertainer, director, and creative director , I live in the arts and I love movies that are and stories that take a different path ,or approach something from a very creative way, but that wasnt art . That was boredom. I know that was the point, but isnt entertainment on some, hell, any level .
Well, as long as we're spouting our resumes, I'm a professional critic and film producer/director with a degree in film production... so what? As far as you being a professional entertainer, that's great. So is Michael Bay (JK).

:hmmm:

By definition, the ONLY difference between a professional and an amateur is a professional is paid. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just don't see where your background applies... neither does mine. I'm just putting out my opinion. I said to someone earlier that I was glad they liked Racing Stripes... for me, it was one of the dumbest things I've seen this millenium, and that's not an exaggeration. I absolutely loved Lost in Translation. It's a character study, more about two people helping each other than anything else. IMO, it's a masterpiece.

As far as boredom, how about 2001? Perhaps one of the top 5 slowest movies ever made, but probably in my Top 5 Best Films ever made.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:30 AM

You dont have to be a movie snob

Movie Snobs are ppl that like Foreign and Art movies like
Clockwork Orange And Moulin rouge But put down every Summer Blockbuster

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
You dont have to be a movie snob

Movie Snobs are ppl that like Foreign and Art movies like
Clockwork Orange And Moulin rouge But put down every Summer Blockbuster
See, I like good movies... summer blockbusters may not be great films, but I recognize them for what they're meant to be -- mindless entertainment. Now, I said earlier in this thread that I'm tired of mindless entertainment, and that's because we rarely get anything else... everybody wants to make the next $100 million popcorn flick, so we get Rocky III-V (and upcoming VI), Scary Movie 1-3, Halloween 3-???, Shark Tale, et. etc. But in my reviews, I try to review it for what it's worth. If all it's meant to be is entertaining, I review it based on whether or not I was entertained... it's pretty easy. I just saw Sahara, which opens next week. Kind of an Indiana Jones for modern time... not a good film, but it was entertaining, therefore it will get a fairly favorable review from me.

And really, most of the true summer blockbusters have been well-received by me. I'm one of the more forgiving KC area critics.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:39 AM
is it GoodEnough to get me over the hate i have for Matthew Mcconaughey.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:43 AM
is it GoodEnough to get me over the hate i have for Matthew Mcconaughey.
It's enjoyable... and keep in mind there's a good possibility I hate McConaughey even more than you. It's not enought to get over your hatred, but maybe put it aside for a couple of hours.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:49 AM
It's enjoyable... and keep in mind there's a good possibility I hate McConaughey even more than you. It's not enought to get over your hatred, but maybe put it aside for a couple of hours.

Damm only 2 movies comeing out next friday are Sahara and Fever Pitch i hate jimmy Fallon allmost has much has i hate Mconaughey

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:50 AM
Damm only 2 movies comeing out next friday are Sahara and Fever Pitch i hate jimmy Fallon allmost has much has i hate Mconaughey
If you're dead set on seeing a new release, go with Sahara... Fallon doesn't do anything well (IMO) and was only servicable in sketch comedy... Fever Pitch just looks stupid.

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 01:53 AM

Should i wait an go see The Amityville Horror The week after have you
heard anything about that movie ?

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Should i wait an go see The Amityville Horror The week after have you
heard anything about that movie ?
Don't know anything about it... haven't heard, which could be bad. Depends on whether or not their screening it for critics... generally, if they won't screen for critics in advance, it sucks and they don't want bad publicity before its release.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:56 AM
It's nothing earth shattering, but this is my 1,000th post! Woo-hoo for me!

oaklandhater
04-02-2005, 02:07 AM
It's nothing earth shattering, but this is my 1,000th post! Woo-hoo for me!

on that note how many post do i need to get rid of Starter

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 02:10 AM
on that note how many post do i need to get rid of Starter
I think you're probably done... just go to My Chiefsplanet and click on profile, from there you should be able to change that "starter" label...

mcan
04-02-2005, 02:32 AM
I own "Lost in Translation" and will go to bat for Sophia Copela any day of the week. I seriously think it's a fantastic film.

As for the worst movie I've seen this past year, it has to be:

"The Stepford Wives"

Even for a summer "fun" movie it was a piece of steaming dog grime. First off, you're remaking a horror movie (which I saw when I was much younger and remember it being pretty good, but a lot of movies that I saw when I was young have turned out to be crappy films so I could be wrong) but anyway, it's a horror movie turned into a... what? Comedy? Is this supposed to be funny? Well it isn't... Is is supposed to be interesting at all?... It isn't that either. It's not anything but a waste of time with a bunch of great actors making themselves look foolish. Now, maybe I'll see it again, and it'll be funny to me (That's what happened to me with "Mixed Nuts." Hated it in the theatre, but when I got it home it all the sudden seemed really funny) But I doubt it highly.

Another really disappointing film was "De-Lovely." It just left me flat, but it's not the worst movie of the year, since it has SOME redeaming value, and actually has some really brilliant acting from time to time.

Fairplay
04-02-2005, 05:13 AM
John Travolta sucks.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 05:15 AM
John Travolta sucks.
I'm not familiar with that film... is it by the same guys that did "Pauly Shore is Dead"?