PDA

View Full Version : Have I mentioned my talent lately?

Phobia
04-02-2005, 01:23 AM
Probably. Too bad, listen again.

As many of you know, I'm fairly fond of myself. Never fonder, as I pulled 4 racks of pork ribs off the pit and a half beef rack. I planned to test one of the pork ribs, just to determine how brilliant I am. I failed. I consumed the entire rack - not because I was hungry, but because it was the most succulent, delicious thing I've ever tasted. I am quite possibly the most skilled undiscovered food preparation expert of my generation. I'm not boasting either. I can back this shit up.

Why am I so proud of myself? Because I only started using a smoker a month ago. This is the first time I've ever done pork ribs. I spent 45 minutes reading up on smoking concepts when I first got the pit. I guess I'm what you might call a natural. I don't know how I can improve upon this.

Now I'm forced to hide the other ribs from myself. I'll dream of them tonight.

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 01:26 AM

As many of you know, I'm fairly fond of myself. Never fonder, as I pulled 4 racks of pork ribs off the pit and a half beef rack. I planned to test one of the pork ribs, just to determine how brilliant I am. I failed. I consumed the entire rack - not because I was hungry, but because it was the most succulent, delicious thing I've ever tasted. I am quite possibly the most skilled undiscovered food preparation expert of my generation. I'm not boasting either. I can back this shit up.

Why am I so proud of myself? Because I only started using a smoker a month ago. This is the first time I've ever done pork ribs. I spent 45 minutes reading up on smoking concepts when I first got the pit. I guess I'm what you might call a natural. I don't know how I can improve upon this.

Phob, we need to have a cook-off...

Seriously, not wanting to sound gay, but we need to swap some recipes here... I too got a smoker about 2 months ago and have smoked everything I get my hands on. Did some pork ribs a couple of weeks ago and did EXACTLY the same thing you did. I wasn't even hungry, but the ribs were so damn good!

Joe Seahawk
04-02-2005, 01:27 AM
I gotta try that someday.. Some home smoked ribs with a cold growler of homebrew would be heaven..

the Talking Can
04-02-2005, 04:42 AM
this thread is worthless without pics...

BIG_DADDY
04-02-2005, 04:45 AM
Phob, we need to have a cook-off...

Seriously, not wanting to sound gay, but we need to swap some recipes here... I too got a smoker about 2 months ago and have smoked everything I get my hands on. Did some pork ribs a couple of weeks ago and did EXACTLY the same thing you did. I wasn't even hungry, but the ribs were so damn good!

I don't know Phil, could be dangerous. You barely know this guy and he is already talking about swaping. :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 04:51 AM
What kind of smoker did you get? Any preferences over wood? I really like smoking with hickory, apple, or cherry wood. I kind of like pecan and maple. Don't like mesquite -- to strong for my tastes.

BIG_DADDY
04-02-2005, 04:54 AM
What kind of smoker did you get? Any preferences over wood? I really like smoking with hickory, apple, or cherry wood. I kind of like pecan and maple. Don't like mesquite -- to strong for my tastes.

It depends on the meat your Smoking.

mcan
04-02-2005, 05:03 AM
I don't smoke meat... :shake:

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 05:03 AM
This thread could turn dirty really quickly.

I mean... we're talking about "meat" here, and how you like to "smoke" it, particularly what kind of "wood" you like.

See there... I did it myself.

mcan
04-02-2005, 05:04 AM
This thread could turn dirty really quickly.

I mean... we're talking about "meat" here, and how you like to "smoke" it, particularly what kind of "wood" you like.

See there... I did it myself.

beat you to it...

Speaking of beating it... I gotta get to bed, and I sleep better if I... Well, anyway.... Good night all...

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 05:06 AM
beat you to it...

Speaking of beating it... I gotta get to bed, and I sleep better if I... Well, anyway.... Good night all...
Yeah you did beat me to it... but if you're smokin' your meat, you really don't need to beat it. Then it'll be too soft for smoking. :p

mcan
04-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Yeah you did beat me to it... but if you're smokin' your meat, you really don't need to beat it. Then it'll be too soft for smoking. :p

Hell, if I could smoke my own meat, I'd never leave the house!

Fire Me Boy!
04-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Hell, if I could smoke my own meat, I'd never leave the house!
See, guys say that all the time... the way I see it, even if it's your own, you still got a dick in your mouth.

Rausch
04-02-2005, 07:02 AM

Just what we need, a Tucker Max of BBQ...

htismaqe
04-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Honestly, Phildo.

If you've got a decent smoker that doesn't leak air and you PAY ATTENTION, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do good ribs...

When you've perfected beef brisket, get back to me...

Braincase
04-02-2005, 07:32 AM
The ChiefsPlanet 1st Annual BBQ CookOff is ON! Name the time and the place...

KCFalcon59
04-02-2005, 08:05 AM

I'm there..........to eat.

Bwana
04-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Cool, I take it next time I fly in for a Chiefs game, I will see you at B5 with a tasty beverage in one hand and a rack in the other. :)

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:52 AM
I thought this was gonna be another thread with Kloster talking about that video he said he made where he was slurpin' his own schlong.

Skip Towne
04-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Arthur Bryant would kick your ass clear up into Leavenworth county.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 09:24 AM

I have a crappy Brinkmann. Real crappy. Real cheap. I'm gonna want to upgrade it real soon.

I've used mostly hickory, cedar, and some mesquite - all together.

I use a lot of cedar to keep my heat up. Because my smoker sucks.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 09:26 AM
When you've perfected beef brisket, get back to me...

My last 2 have been really good. My first one kinda sucked.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 09:27 AM

That's probably a pretty good idea considering the way the Banquet is gonna work this year. No more details until I have a contract, but the venue should be really condusive to a BBQ.

philfree
04-02-2005, 09:40 AM

Beat me to it. I gotta Brinkman and a pickup truck so I can hall it it needed. I ain't never cooked with cedar though. I's use oak and charcoal for heat and hickory for smoke. I think my best thing is smoked prime rib. Of course my ribs are good too. Now this is something that could turn into a decent chartitable event if done properly. Maybe you could get DV and Whitlock to show up and be tasters. They both love BBQ. Celebs couldn't hurt.

PhilFree :arrow:

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 10:18 AM
One of these days I'm gonna start smoking again. It's banned in my complex. I pass smoke-and-fire on the way to work and it's like torture. I think the greatest thing about smoking is that it's virtually idiot-proof, especially the higher quality your equipment. Just set the fire, get the temp you want, put on the meat, pop a top and relax for a few hours, tossing on a briq when you need it. I miss it.

mcan
04-02-2005, 10:23 AM
See, guys say that all the time... the way I see it, even if it's your own, you still got a dick in your mouth.

Whoa! What are YOU talking about? I thought we were talking about food... :p

crossbow
04-02-2005, 12:24 PM
Hey Phobe,

Normaly when people talk about their secret skill it involves "pulling their finger".

Phobia
04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Beat me to it. I gotta Brinkman and a pickup truck so I can hall it it needed. I ain't never cooked with cedar though.

I've not heard of anybody using it either. It burns fast and hot, which is why I chose it to keep the heat up in my ECB. Plus, the fact that I have tons of cedar scrap from various deck projects helps. I can't imagine it would be economical for most people to burn cedar.

go bo
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
That's probably a pretty good idea considering the way the Banquet is gonna work this year. No more details until I have a contract, but the venue should be really condusive to a BBQ.which game is it gonna be?

i mean the 37 forever weekend...

which game is it gonna be?

Bowser
04-02-2005, 12:43 PM

I don't think they have even come out with a game dates yet, have they?

go bo
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I don't think they have even come out with a game dates yet, have they?details, details...

don't sweat the details, i tells ya...

Phobia
04-02-2005, 12:45 PM

We're gonna vote on it once the schedule comes out. It's gonna be a crazy weekend. I'd love to have it on a MNF weekend so we can do Sunday at Joe's. That would be ideal.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't think they have even come out with a game dates yet, have they?

Profootballtalk claims the schedule will be released on April 15th at noon - which means it's probably some other day.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Profootballtalk claims the schedule will be released on April 15th at noon - which means it's probably some other day.

Lemme go check the Star boards. And have Bad Guy give Athan a call to confirm.......

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Hopefully I won't have to work this year.

cadmonkey
04-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Hey Phob, don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Hey Phob, don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back.

Dude, this is the honest to God truth. I'm just reporting the facts.

Mr. Kotter
04-02-2005, 01:48 PM

Eh, we'll need proof; you wanna send it along with those Belgian Amber ales you promised....I'll PM you my address. :thumb:

cadmonkey
04-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Until I have BBQ dripping from my face from one of your rack of ribs, this is yet to be determined :harumph:

I'm not doubting you, I just want some god damn ribs, man I'm starving! Where is my invite? :p

Den9899
04-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Honestly, Phildo.

If you've got a decent smoker that doesn't leak air and you PAY ATTENTION, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to do good ribs...

Kinda what I was thinking...