PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica Finale

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
So, I watched it this morning (you know you're getting old when you fall asleep at 9:15 on a Friday...) and man they left some loose ends. I friggin' hate cliffhangers.

Three effin' months until a new episode. :cuss:

trndobrd
04-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Is this the new series? I saw the movie on Sci-Fi is this an continuation of that? Any good?

KCWolfman
04-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I didn't like the direction of the series originally (evil Cylons planted in the minds of only certain humans), but it has panned out well.

whoman69
04-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Is Adama dead? How long 'til they space Boomer? What about the other pregnant Boomer on Caprica? Why can't Starbuck take a punch? These and other questions will be answered when Battlestar Galactica returns in July.

morphius
04-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Decent show, but I hate huge cliff hangers like that.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Is this the new series? I saw the movie on Sci-Fi is this an continuation of that? Any good?Yes to all three questions. They're rerunning the entire 13-episode first season beginning next Friday. Season two (20-eps) premeires in July.

It's not light feel-good sci-fi for kiddies. It's not an action show long on explosions and short on plot (although it has its share of space battles). It's a dark, dramatic series that deals with being hunted by an enemy you can't possibly beat and the kind of personal and community struggles that arise in that situation. There's pain and loss and the good guys don't always win. Sometimes you can't even tell the good guys from the bad. I think of it as sci-fi grown up. It's not for everybody, but I think it's as good as any dramatic series on TV right now. It's got a place in my DVR beside Deadwood and The Shield.

Braincase
04-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Is Adama dead? How long 'til they space Boomer? What about the other pregnant Boomer on Caprica? Why can't Starbuck take a punch? These and other questions will be answered when Battlestar Galactica returns in July.

Starbuck might not be able to take a punch, but I bet I could lick her.

Frazod
04-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I watched the episodes last night and plan on catching up on the ones I missed. Excellent show.

Props to Kyle for reminding me about it. :thumb:

Adept Havelock
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. It's the darkest premise in Sci-Fi (of course, so was the chessy original), and they played it straight. 50,000 of us left, outgunned, outnumbered, and on the run.

The fact it's got Ed Olmos and Mary McDonnell is just icing on the cake.

That, and the fact Edward Olmos already stated "it's a drama that just happens to be set in space" and "any funny looking prosthetic on the head aliens and I'm walking" lead me to believe the writing will stay at a high level.

It's nice to see a show where they use more than one or two syllable words for a change, without a bunch of Frakkin' trek-style technobabble.

July can't get here soon enough.

"So say we all!"

RINGLEADER
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
I've enjoyed it pretty much and the finale was very well done TV IMO. I don't know about the whole baby thing though...I was really hoping they'd reveal the Cylon God to be Baltar. He just doesn't realize he's been instrumental in developing the new course of Cylon civilization because he's also completely insane.

Frazod
04-02-2005, 11:36 AM
I've enjoyed it pretty much and the finale was very well done TV IMO. I don't know about the whole baby thing though...I was really hoping they'd reveal the Cylon God to be Baltar. He just doesn't realize he's been instrumental in developing the new course of Cylon civilization because he's also completely insane.

I still prefer John Colicos' completely dark and evil Baltar, but the new guy is growing on me.

Bowser
04-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I still prefer John Colicos' completely dark and evil Baltar, but the new guy is growing on me.

He's a smarmy little ****, but the writers have played him perfectly in the show. How is it that the insane ones always bag the chicks?

Frazod
04-02-2005, 11:40 AM
He's a smarmy little ****, but the writers have played him perfectly in the show. How is it that the insane ones always bag the chicks?

Hard telling.

You'd think some of the others would pick up on his insanity at some point, considering how often he stares at and talks to nothing when he interacts with the Cylon babe. I'd like to think that would throw up some warning flares. Maybe next season.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
A few questions I had:

Why could Helo and Boomer move around Caprica City at night but not during the day? Have the Cylons, those technical wonders, not learned of infrared? That was a problem all season for me; you'd think they'd have some kind of scanning technology, although at the beginning you could they were running the rat (Helo) through the maze.

And the whole part about Boomer running away with him...wha? And if she has gone on her own outside the influence of the rest, then how would the rest know she's pregnant? Even if it was a part of their whole master plan.

We've only seen (I think) four Cylons so far. Out of twelve models. Who are the other eight? Is Baltar one?

And that raises yet another question: why did Boomer shoot Adama (remember the president was told that by the one they captured)? Because he's a cylon? Maybe she learned something from the other Boomers on the base star (was that scene hot or what - goddamn strategically placed shadows)? To keep them from finding Earth (since as far as she knows only Adama knows the location)?

And what's all this God stuff. At first it irritated me, to be honest, but now it kind of fascinates me. Are the humaniform Cylons really religious?

Thank God, at least, they know that Boomer's a cylon now. Because even if they still somehow have questions on galactica after the shooting, you know Starbuck's going to make it back to the ship at some point, and she knows. I think it's good that they won't be relying on the "Boomer is a Cylon" bit for more than one season.

I think we're in for a fun ride with this series. Rarely is a sci-fi series this good out of the gates; it usually takes them a couple of seasons to get up to speed.

Frazod
04-02-2005, 12:08 PM
BTW, is/was there an actual human Boomer?

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:11 PM
BTW, is/was there an actual human Boomer?That's a question I've been wondering, too. Could there have been human templates? Could any be alive.

And will they ever figure out that Baltar rigs the tests?

Is Tigh's wife a cylon? I don't remember if that was resolved in that episode.

I love it when a TV show has me asking questions...

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
And this question goes for both the Cylons and the Humans? What's with all this prophesy and predestination?

I don't understand much about the religion of the humans, because they haven't explained it. But all this stuff with the President and the Arrow and Kobol.

And the Cylons, well, is it really prophetic, or is some supercomputer somewhere running simulations and making projections? Is that "God"? Or do they really mean "God". Six seems to think she means God. And so does Boomer. Why would machines have religion? Was it programmed or did they develop it?

Frazod
04-02-2005, 12:17 PM
I... don't... know.... :deevee:

But I'm looking forward to figuring it out. :thumb: This show rocks.

Uncle_Ted
04-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Mmmmmm ... a pack of naked Boomers ... I want one! :p

As a few of you have already said, I really like that fact that the show is low on techno-babble, they don't always use "techno-magic" to solve their problems (with the exception of the EMP or whatever Apollo triggered in the mini-series -- terrible), and the show hasn't (at least not yet) degenerated into "alien of the week" type episodes.

Can't wait to see where they go with season 2. The sheer number of unanswered questions is brutal ...

Frazod
04-02-2005, 12:38 PM
That was a good cliffhanger.

Nearly on the level of the Star Trek/Borg cliffhanger. THAT was brutal.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Mmmmmm ... a pack of naked Boomers ... I want one!No shit. Grace Park could probably talk me out of retirement.As a few of you have already said, I really like that fact that the show is low on techno-babble, they don't always use "techno-magic" to solve their problems I think the way (in the mini) that they made Galactica hardwired because of the previous war is what really works. They survived because they were lower tech rather than higher, although they did salvage some of the newer vipers.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Nearly on the level of the Star Trek/Borg cliffhanger. THAT was brutal.Next generation hasn't aged well for me, it's almost unwatchable now, but I still love those episodes. I'm trying to think of some other cliffhangers.

The thing about this is that they have a ton of them. Helo and Starbuck are still on Caprica with the Arrow. What's up with the guys on Kobol? What's up with Baltar?

(I just had a thought about him -- what if they baby Six showed him was not Boomer's, but theirs?)

Another huge one for next season is whether the President will die.

All of that, without even considering Adama.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Warning flares?!?!?!

Hell, that just mimics our society! What do you do with a guy like that? Elect him as Vice President!

:p

unlurking
04-02-2005, 01:09 PM
What's really been intriguing me (especially in this last episode) is the "human nature" of the cylons. Boomer (in both main instances) really seems very human.

And did I see a tear in the babe cylon's eye when Baltar came and sat down and poured a drink after schlupin' Starbuck?!?!

One final comment...

NO MORE STARBUCK SEX SCENES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help but see "Face" when she and Baltar were going at it. I thought I was just getting over Starbuck being a girl, and then all of a sudden I keep seeing Face!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!1

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:50 PM
So, I watched it this morning (you know you're getting old when you fall asleep at 9:15 on a Friday...) and man they left some loose ends. I friggin' hate cliffhangers.

Three effin' months until a new episode. :cuss:Thats what Tivo is for. Get it.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Is this the new series? I saw the movie on Sci-Fi is this an continuation of that? Any good?Its very good. BSG has grown up. They have had a lot of sex scenes in it that are pretty wild, no shit.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Is Adama dead? How long 'til they space Boomer? What about the other pregnant Boomer on Caprica? Why can't Starbuck take a punch? These and other questions will be answered when Battlestar Galactica returns in July.:thumb:

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:52 PM
Decent show, but I hate huge cliff hangers like that.At least you only have to wait until July.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:56 PM
That's a question I've been wondering, too. Could there have been human templates? Could any be alive.

And will they ever figure out that Baltar rigs the tests?

Is Tigh's wife a cylon? I don't remember if that was resolved in that episode.

I love it when a TV show has me asking questions...I think that Baltar rigged Boomers test because he wants to get a piece of that ass.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Mmmmmm ... a pack of naked Boomers ... I want one! :p

As a few of you have already said, I really like that fact that the show is low on techno-babble, they don't always use "techno-magic" to solve their problems (with the exception of the EMP or whatever Apollo triggered in the mini-series -- terrible), and the show hasn't (at least not yet) degenerated into "alien of the week" type episodes.

Can't wait to see where they go with season 2. The sheer number of unanswered questions is brutal ...A TV show that has figured out how to say F*CK on the air without getting sensored, they just insert Frak.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 02:04 PM
A TV show that has figured out how to say F*CK on the air without getting sensored, they just insert Frak.
"Frelling" copy cats!!!

;)

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
Thats what Tivo is for. Get it.I said that I watched last night's episode this morning. How exactly do you think I accomplished that? And what is TiVO supposed to do for me anyway? It's three months until a new episode with or without it."Frelling" copy cats!!!Farscape's the copycat there. "Frak" first aired in the late 70's.

Farscape used to be my favorite sci-fi series of all time. Funny story, actually - for two and a half years I refused to watch it. It was a stupid show with puppets on the sci-fi channel. Then I finally caught it one night when I was drunk and there was nothing else on. I loved it, and eventually had to see every episode from the beginning. I have them all on tape now. As good as it was - and I'll still watch it whenever I can - I think the new galactica is already better.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Three effin' months until a new episode. :cuss:My bad, I will try to explain my thinking if you give a chit. here goes.

I read it real quick and it said, you passed out in the middle of it like I do all the time.

Go ahead and have a laugh on me, I'm good for it. :p

|Zach|
04-02-2005, 02:13 PM
heh

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 02:14 PM
My bad, I will try to explain my thinking if you give a chit. here goes.

I read it real quick and it said, you passed out in the middle of it like I do all the time.

Go ahead and have a laugh on me, I'm good for it. :pand you were asking us for what happened, cause you missed some of it.

I guess I am just a dum shit sometimes.

whoman69
04-02-2005, 02:16 PM
I think that Baltar rigged Boomers test because he wants to get a piece of that ass.
He rigged the test because blondie told him that Boomer would kill him when she found out.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:16 PM
:LOL:

whoman69
04-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I hope they pull out the Battlestar Pegasus later on. That was the best episode of the original.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 02:20 PM
I said that I watched last night's episode this morning. How exactly do you think I accomplished that? And what is TiVO supposed to do for me anyway? It's three months until a new episode with or without it.Farscape's the copycat there. "Frak" first aired in the late 70's.

Farscape used to be my favorite sci-fi series of all time. Funny story, actually - for two and a half years I refused to watch it. It was a stupid show with puppets on the sci-fi channel. Then I finally caught it one night when I was drunk and there was nothing else on. I loved it, and eventually had to see every episode from the beginning. I have them all on tape now. As good as it was - and I'll still watch it whenever I can - I think the new galactica is already better.
lol, don't remember frak

The one I remember was "felgarcarb" or something like that.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:22 PM
That was a good storyline. And I say anything that introduces another hot chick is a good thing. Although they seem to be pretty gender skewed, and that was Starbuck's girl wasn't it? And we know her old flame ain't coming back...

Or am I confusing her with Apollo's girl? I can't remember which was on the Pegasus and which was on the hijacked shuttle. It's hard keeping all these old episodes straight, been so long since I saw them.lol, don't remember frak

The one I remember was "felgarcarb" or something like that.Yeah, I remember that one, too. Hasn't been on the new show so far as I know.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Who knows, Starbuck had so many ex-flames. I only remember Aurora cuz she was on a recent episode on sci-fi reruns.

Wondering where Sheeba and Cassie are.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd love to see a remake of Buck Rogers though. Man, talk about a sexy show! Erin Gray was a goddess when I was a kid.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I hope they don't consummate Apollo and Starbuck's relationship. Sexual tension is a good thing, most of the series I enjoy have taken a nosedive after they hook characters up.

I can't watch Buck Rogers. It's just too camp for me. I've never been able to sit through a half an episode.

unlurking
04-02-2005, 03:14 PM
When I was a kid, it was my favorite sci-fi show. It is pretty cheesy now though. I guess the Princess and Erin were just too much for a kid hittin' puberty to ignore!
;)

As I said in an earlier post, I hope they never show another Starbuck sex scene. EVER!

lol

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope they pull out the Battlestar Pegasus later on. That was the best episode of the original.But who would play Loyd Bridges? He stole the show with that one.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 03:30 PM
lol, don't remember frak

The one I remember was "felgarcarb" or something like that.THey did use "Frak" in the old series, but never in context like "What the Frak", or "Get the Frak" out of here, or my favorite, "Frak you!".

Vegas_Dave
04-02-2005, 03:50 PM
So say we all.

Awesome show. I have been hooked. I like cliff-hangers personally, it gives me something to look forward to.

The acting is wonderful. I honestly think that it is one of the best shows on TV right now.

It will be interesting to see how this whole thing with Baltar plays out... as well as the pregnant cylon...

plus, they throw in some really good sex scenes to "adult" it up.

And did I mention the hot chicks???

They give plenty of throw backs to the original series, like the "waggling" cylon raider...

I also like the fact that the Cylons were created by the humans compared to just being a race that was already there... makes it darker.

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 03:53 PM
When I was a kid, it was my favorite sci-fi show. It is pretty cheesy now though. I guess the Princess and Erin were just too much for a kid hittin' puberty to ignore!
;)

As I said in an earlier post, I hope they never show another Starbuck sex scene. EVER!

lolROFL

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who was taking their puberty out on that show. lmao.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 03:54 PM
And did I mention the hot chicks???
I swear I'm not going to run this on my DVR again later just so I can ogle multiple naked Grace Parks.

I swear.

Really.

Would I lie?

Vegas_Dave
04-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I swear I'm not going to run this on my DVR again later just so I can ogle multiple naked Grace Parks.

I swear.

Really.

Would I lie?

You did see her spread in Maxim right??? As well as the web only pictures? Yummy... Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing some Cylon Lesbians with her and the other Cylon chick....

Ah Frak, need new pants.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 04:03 PM
You did see her spread in Maxim right??? As well as the web only pictures? Yummy... Personally, I wouldnt mind seeing some Cylon Lesbians with her and the other Cylon chick.....Yeah.

It's a good thing I wasn't her navigator or whatever on that flight into the base star. I'd have looked out the window, seen a few dozen naked Boomers and decided maybe we didn't need to nuke the place after all. Par-tay! ROFL

Calcountry
04-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah.

It's a good thing I wasn't her navigator or whatever on that flight into the base star. I'd have looked out the window, seen a few dozen naked Boomers and decided maybe we didn't need to nuke the place after all. Par-tay! ROFLI just lOOVED the way one of those Boomers stroked the NUKE just prior to detonation! lmao.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I've just stumbled on the podcasts (http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/downloads/podcast/). Pretty neat.

whoman69
04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
This is not your 70s Boomer

whoman69
04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
But I still like Athena

Bowser
04-03-2005, 11:37 AM
But I still like Athena

I thought she was hot, too. But that isn't the best picture of her.....

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 03:13 PM
I just watched the finale again, this time with the podcast, and I've got to say I liked it even more the second time. It was also really interesting to listen to Moore talk about how the series develped and changed (especially the original "Dirk Benedict as God" concept ROFL) . Anyway, watching the two finale episodes back to back I think made them both stronger in some way. Really, really digging this show now.

Calcountry
04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
But I still like AthenaI wonder what ever happened to her?

whoman69
04-03-2005, 07:57 PM
I wonder what ever happened to her?
Nothing much found on google. Her last role was in a 1981 movie deadly blessing where she did a bathtub nude scene. She dated Don Henley after that and did the video for "not enough love in the world" and sang backup for "johnny can't read."
It goes further to say she suffers from epstein-barr syndrome, has recovered but left show business after.

RINGLEADER
04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
And this question goes for both the Cylons and the Humans? What's with all this prophesy and predestination?

I don't understand much about the religion of the humans, because they haven't explained it. But all this stuff with the President and the Arrow and Kobol.

And the Cylons, well, is it really prophetic, or is some supercomputer somewhere running simulations and making projections? Is that "God"? Or do they really mean "God". Six seems to think she means God. And so does Boomer. Why would machines have religion? Was it programmed or did they develop it?

I always got the impression that the cylons were somehow jealous or felt incomplete which is why they've mimicked human form, are so interested in love, and why God has them on this weird course with the human-cylon baby (or whatever it is).

I think Boomer, who if you remember also destroyed the humans' water supply without really remembering or knowing it, was allowed to complete her mission by the cylons at the base star over Kobol to get close to Adama and kill him.

Who knows who the other cylons are, but I believe Tigh's wife is one. Still want/believe Baltar to be unaware that he's God and all these human cylons are some manifestation of his insanity.

I never really followed that Boomer/Helo were moving around only during the day until you mentioned it. I guess it never jumped out or bothered me much.

RINGLEADER
04-03-2005, 10:05 PM
I hope they pull out the Battlestar Pegasus later on. That was the best episode of the original.

What are you talking about the other Battlestar?

Yeah, The Living Legend was a great one. Hope Pegasus returns and Richard Hatch disappears (how obvious is it that they wrote this guy a role so he'd quit bad-mouthing the new series)...

RINGLEADER
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
But who would play Loyd Bridges? He stole the show with that one.

It'd be cool if they could get a name to play that role...but I have a bad feeling that if we ever see a Pegasus return we'll get two hours of Beau Bridges...

Uncle_Ted
04-04-2005, 02:41 AM
It'd be cool if they could get a name to play that role...but I have a bad feeling that if we ever see a Pegasus return we'll get two hours of Beau Bridges...

No, that's going to be Stargate SG-1 ... a lot of fans are ticked that Beau Bridges is going to play the head of the SGC next season. :banghead:

Gaz
04-04-2005, 06:42 AM
I have been quite pleased and surprised with “Battlestar Gallactica.” Unlike many of you, I have no fond memories of the original series. It was stupid beyond belief and I expected little from the remake. However, the new BC is good stuff.

I eagerly await the new season.

Those suffering science fiction withdrawal in the interim should check out Joss Whedon’s “Firefly.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Got a lot better than he expected.

whoman69
04-04-2005, 08:35 AM
I have been quite pleased and surprised with “Battlestar Gallactica.” Unlike many of you, I have no fond memories of the original series. It was stupid beyond belief and I expected little from the remake. However, the new BC is good stuff.

I eagerly await the new season.

Those suffering science fiction withdrawal in the interim should check out Joss Whedon’s “Firefly.”

xoxo~
Gaz
Got a lot better than he expected.

Have to agree with you. For the most part it was Gilligan's Island meets Star Wars, but there were some moments. The bad part of the series is they just re-used the same footage each time there was a battle. But the episode with the Pegasus and the original Baltar were gems.

Lzen
04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I remember watching BG when I was a kid. I know it had its cheesiness but, when you're a kid it doesn't matter. Shows like that and the original Star Trek (in syndication by the time I saw it as a kid) were what got me into the Sci Fi genre. :thumb: Like everyone else on this thread, I absolutely love this new BG series. It's gonna kill me to have to wait until July. :banghead:

Lzen
04-04-2005, 10:30 AM
The use of "frak" as a substitute really annoyed me at first. But I guess I got used to it. The thing with Baltar and nobody noticing that he's always talking to himself seems kinda silly, though.

Lzen
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Oh and the wife of the XO is not a cylon. Didn't they run that test on her and it came back negative?

Calcountry
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
The use of "frak" as a substitute really annoyed me at first. But I guess I got used to it. The thing with Baltar and nobody noticing that he's always talking to himself seems kinda silly, though.He doesn't just TALK with himself. lmao.

Calcountry
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
It'd be cool if they could get a name to play that role...but I have a bad feeling that if we ever see a Pegasus return we'll get two hours of Beau Bridges...I nominate William Shatner to be the commander of the Pegasus. He is the only swaggering actor who actually believes he is in command of any kind of star ship.

whoman69
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
I nominate William Shatner to be the commander of the Pegasus. He is the only swaggering actor who actually believes he is in command of any kind of star ship.
He's actually pitching a Star Trek Starfleet Academy show right now. Hopefully it will not come to fruition.

Lzen
04-04-2005, 01:16 PM
He doesn't just TALK with himself. lmao.

Well duh. :p It appears to anyone outside of his own brain that he's talking to himself.