PDA

View Full Version : My dumbassery got me this time!

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Got the Boat out of storage today, normally an exciting event. Started checking things out and I had missed the block drain on the Starboard side last fall. Block cracks are very visible. Already have it most of the way ready to pull, this really sucks. This was not in my plans, summers are too short up here anyway! It is a darn Chevy motor so I have nothing for it so it will be expensive. I feel like I just kicked myself in the balls! :banghead:

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh damn.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 07:37 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry.

I spent the day at an auction for some reason - actually the reason was half the auction was tools. I spent $108 and filled my truck. It was a good day.

Frazod
04-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Ouch.

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 07:45 PM
That sucks. I'm sorry.

I spent the day at an auction for some reason - actually the reason was half the auction was tools. I spent $108 and filled my truck. It was a good day.

Sounds like you did well filling your truck with tools for $108. That kind of picks me up a little cool! :thumb:
I have been wanting to hot-rod this small block anyway so this will be my excuse. It just was not in the budget right now. Oh well I will re-learn some small block Chevy stuff, it has been over 20 years since I built one.

PastorMikH
04-02-2005, 07:52 PM
My dad came across a nice Bayliner boat a few years back like that. It had twin chevy 305s and both blocks were cracked. He got the boat for a song and 2 blocks out of the salvage yard and rebuilt the motors himself with the blocks and stuff from the old engines.

Frazod
04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
So where do you do your boating?

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 08:03 PM
My dad came across a nice Bayliner boat a few years back like that. It had twin chevy 305s and both blocks were cracked. He got the boat for a song and 2 blocks out of the salvage yard and rebuilt the motors himself with the blocks and stuff from the old engines.

Must have been a pretty good sized boat with twins in it. My problem is this boat is fairly new, 120 hours. It is roller lifter motor with the vortec heads I think. I am probably just going to have to buy a new block and put my stuff in it. I have so far found no direct replacement short blocks but I have only been looking a few hours.

So where do you do your boating?

Down at the confluence of the Illinois, the Kankakee and the Desplaines rivers. It is the closest thing I could find, pretty nice private Marina. It is an hour from me but probably only 40 minutes for you. Just south of 80 off of 55. I can go about 5 miles on the Desplaines without stopping and the Kankakee is real nice for drinking and swimming. :p

Hammock Parties
04-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Sounds like you did well filling your truck with tools for $108. That kind of picks me up a little cool! :thumb:
I have been wanting to hot-rod this small block anyway so this will be my excuse. It just was not in the budget right now. Oh well I will re-learn some small block Chevy stuff, it has been over 20 years since I built one.

I think he meant the people he was bidding against were tools.

What stuff did you grab Phobia?

Frazod
04-02-2005, 08:08 PM
Down at the confluence of the Illinois, the Kankakee and the Desplaines rivers. It is the closest thing I could find, pretty nice private Marina. It is an hour from me but probably only 40 minutes for you. Just south of 80 off of 55. I can go about 5 miles on the Desplaines without stopping and the Kankakee is real nice for drinking and swimming. :p

Sounds like fun. I've only seen those rivers from bridges driving over them.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I think he meant the people he was bidding against were tools.

What stuff did you grab Phobia?

I got tons of shit. Nothing really that impressive or interesting, just a whole lot of good, quality tools for about 10 cents on the dollar. As an example, I got this (http://www.as-seen-on-tv-discounts.com/Roll-A-Hose.asp) new in the box for $1.

keg in kc
Sounds like fun. I've only seen those rivers from bridges driving over them.In the I'mbaldmiddleagedandhaveatinyprickmobile?

HemiEd
Sounds like fun. I've only seen those rivers from bridges driving over them.

You are sure welcome to join me sometime when I get this running again.

Phobia
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Have you tried some Gorilla glue, Ed?

Frazod
04-02-2005, 08:16 PM
You are sure welcome to join me sometime when I get this running again.

Oh twist my arm. OKAY... :D

Frazod
04-02-2005, 08:17 PM
In the I'mbaldmiddleagedandhaveatinyprickmobile?

Sorry Kyle. We can't all drive used Civics. :p

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:18 PM
A civic would be an enormous upgrade for some of us.

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 08:18 PM

You will not believe the funny story that leads to. Similar to Pastors story, I bought a boat quite a few years ago as a basket case for $800. The bottom of the block was busted and was unavailable, it was basically the intake anyway. I took rat wire and JB weld to and used it for two years. I ended up selling the boat for two grand! ROFL

Frazod
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
A civic would be an enormous upgrade for some of us.

For some reason I picture you driving a used hearse. :D

Phobia
04-02-2005, 08:21 PM

That would kick ass.

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:29 PM
It just shouts "style", baby.

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:34 PM
For some reason I picture you driving a used hearse.Nah, I could never stomach a hearse. I have a piece of shit old car. If I wasn't dirt poor I'd probably go for something along the lines of a Z4. But that'll never happen.

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
Nah, I could never stomach a hearse. I have a piece of shit old car. If I wasn't dirt poor I'd probably go for something along the lines of a Z4. But that'll never happen.

What is a Z4? :hmmm:

keg in kc
04-02-2005, 08:50 PM
BMW Z4 roadster.

I hate BMW's and I hate people who drive BMW's. Yet I want one. Go figure.

I can't stand any of their other cars, but for some reason that one model really does it for me.

Skip Towne
04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Is Gorilla glue any good? JB weld is great shit. I even patched a leaking plastic radiator with it. It held for 6 months till I lost the serpentine belt and it got hot.

HemiEd
04-02-2005, 08:54 PM
BMW Z4 roadster.

I can't stand any of their other cars, but for some reason that one model really does it for me.

I know what you mean, I detest foreign cars but a couple of them are really sharp. I like the Jag convertible, it looks awesome but I would not buy one even if I could afford it.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-02-2005, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear it man, that really sucks.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 01:52 AM
BMW Z4 roadster.

They're pretty sharpe. A vast improvement over the Z3, which I thought was rather odd looking.

Pontiac's coming out with a good looking new convertible roadster called the Solstace. It'll certainly be easier on the wallet than a Z4.

HemiEd
04-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Is Gorilla glue any good? JB weld is great shit. I even patched a leaking plastic radiator with it. It held for 6 months till I lost the serpentine belt and it got hot.

I have never heard of Gorilla glue either. Is it an Epoxy like JB Weld?

Sorry to hear it man, that really sucks.

Thanks, I appreciate that, somehow I feel a little better venting about it on this Bb. :shake:

CrazyHorse
04-03-2005, 05:00 AM
You will not believe the funny story that leads to. Similar to Pastors story, I bought a boat quite a few years ago as a basket case for $800. The bottom of the block was busted and was unavailable, it was basically the intake anyway. I took rat wire and JB weld to and used it for two years. I ended up selling the boat for two grand! ROFL

Got the Boat out of storage today, normally an exciting event. Started checking things out and I had missed the block drain on the Starboard side last fall. Block cracks are very visible. Already have it most of the way ready to pull, this really sucks. This was not in my plans, summers are too short up here anyway! It is a darn Chevy motor so I have nothing for it so it will be expensive. I feel like I just kicked myself in the balls! :banghead:

Karma can be a bitch sometimes.

Rain Man
04-03-2005, 12:22 PM
BMW Z4 roadster.

It's only natural to hate people who are better than you are. And more handsome.

Rain Man
04-03-2005, 12:26 PM
They're pretty sharpe. A vast improvement over the Z3, which I thought was rather odd looking.

WHAT?!?! WHAT did you just say?

Actually, to each his own, but I like the Z3 way better than the Z4. I just went to the Denver Auto Show yesterday, and BMW is going for this horizontal dash look that I just despise. The Z3 is more like a traditional cockpit with the center console, and looks pretty good. The Z4 is just a big horizontal dash, just like all the new BMWs, and I avidly dislike that look.

On the outside, I love the Z3s, because they're a classic convertible roadster. The Z4s look good, and the rear view of a Z4 is awesome, but overall I like the Z3 look better.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
WHAT?!?! WHAT did you just say?

Actually, to each his own, but I like the Z3 way better than the Z4. I just went to the Denver Auto Show yesterday, and BMW is going for this horizontal dash look that I just despise. The Z3 is more like a traditional cockpit with the center console, and looks pretty good. The Z4 is just a big horizontal dash, just like all the new BMWs, and I avidly dislike that look.

On the outside, I love the Z3s, because they're a classic convertible roadster. The Z4s look good, and the rear view of a Z4 is awesome, but overall I like the Z3 look better.

My Mustang makes them both look like ass. :harumph:

:p

Rain Man
04-03-2005, 12:48 PM
My Mustang makes them both look like ass. :harumph:

:p

I will concur that the Mustang is a fine-looking car. It's almost in the same league as my Z3. Does it come in apricot, though?

Frazod
04-03-2005, 12:51 PM
I will concur that the Mustang is a fine-looking car. It's almost in the same league as my Z3. Does it come in apricot, though?

Darn, I forgot to check. :D

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 12:53 PM
It's only natural to hate people who are better than you are. And more handsome.That's pretty much everybody.

Although one day I'll be rich. And maybe then I'll be able to pay some doctor to make me handsome.

I'll probably never get the car, though. At the end of the day, I don't need to compensate for any other...shortcoming.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, I'm outta here. It's one of those rare, perfect days in Chicago, and I'm off to enjoy it. Later.

HemiEd
04-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Well, I'm outta here. It's one of those rare, perfect days in Chicago, and I'm off to enjoy it. Later.

You are right, it is very nice. Great day to pull an engine, it is out and on the stand :D

HemiEd
04-17-2005, 05:16 PM
It is all new again! $1800 in parts and many hours of labor it is water ready again. It should run better than before, 60 mph. I put bigger exhaust valves and roller rockers. New block etc. What a battle! :thumb:

4th and Long
04-17-2005, 05:19 PM
It is all new again! $1800 in parts and many hours of labor it is water ready again. It should run better than before, 60 mph. I put bigger exhaust valves and roller rockers. New block etc. What a battle! :thumb:
Nice job, Edward. :thumb:

When can we all come down and expect a tour of the lake via your water craft? :D

HemiEd
04-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Nice job, Edward. :thumb:

When can we all come down and expect a tour of the lake via your water craft? :D

You are welcome anytime! :thumb:

4th and Long
04-17-2005, 05:30 PM
You are welcome anytime! :thumb:
Illinois is a wee bit far to travel just for a boat ride on the lake. Throw in some free eats and free beer and I may give it a second thought. :D

HemiEd
04-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Illinois is a wee bit far to travel just for a boat ride on the lake. Throw in some free eats and free beer and I may give it a second thought. :D

No problem, always plenty to eat and drink. I could even put you up. I am excited about summer again. Darn thing started instantly as soon as I clicked the key. I am a little worse for the wear though, fingers are all cut and skinned up. I called a Marina for grins just to see and they said around $8000. Guess it is good to Do it yourself! :)

4th and Long
04-17-2005, 05:57 PM
No problem, always plenty to eat and drink. I could even put you up.
Damn. Free food, free beers and a free bed to sleep in. All that left is to tell us your wife is hot and likes to parade around in next to nothing and you never give it a second thought. ROFL
I am excited about summer again. Darn thing started instantly as soon as I clicked the key.
You're one fine mechanic sir. We need to get you one of those pin striped shirts with the little oval sew on patch that has your name it.

http://img224.echo.cx/img224/7769/edpatch1wp.jpg

:D
I am a little worse for the wear though, fingers are all cut and skinned up.
http://www.dhsp.org/fannypack/fannypacpics/bandaids.jpg :shrug:
I called a Marina for grins just to see and they said around $8000. Guess it is good to Do it yourself! :)
Call 'em back. Tell it what it cost you to fix it. Then tell them that you can undercut their prices so bad that you've decided to open your own marina and put them out of business. ROFL

HemiEd
04-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Damn. Free food, free beers and a free bed to sleep in. All that left is to tell us your wife is hot and likes to parade around in next to nothing and you never give it a second thought. ROFL
she was hot at one time, now she is getting to be pretty good cook. ROFL

You're one fine mechanic sir. We need to get you one of those pin striped shirts with the little oval sew on patch that has your name it.

http://img224.echo.cx/img224/7769/edpatch1wp.jpg

:D This is hilarious, damn. I wish I knew how to save it, I would make it my avitar! It told me I had to spread some rep around, I will be back! ROFL
http://www.dhsp.org/fannypack/fannypacpics/bandaids.jpg :shrug:
I was just in putting Bandaids on less than a minute ago! ROFL

Call 'em back.Tell it what it cost you to fix it. Then tell them that you can undercut their prices so bad that you've decided to open your own marina and put them out of business. ROFL

That is funny, however, I refuse to work on other people's stuff. No fun, I always have enough of my own projects.

Frazod
04-17-2005, 06:14 PM
This is hilarious, damn. I wish I knew how to save it, I would make it my avitar! It told me I had to spread some rep around, I will be back!

Just right click on the image and copy it. Then open the paint program and paste it. Then you can use the stretch/skew option to reduce it down to avatar size. After that, name it and save it as a JPEG file. Then you can use it.

4th and Long
04-17-2005, 06:17 PM
Just right click on the image and copy it. Then open the paint program and paste it. Then you can use the stretch/skew option to reduce it down to avatar size. After that, name it and save it as a JPEG file. Then you can use it.
Meh. Don't go through all that trouble ... but know this ... I like your Shattner avatar better.

HemiEd
04-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Meh. Don't go through all that trouble ... but know this ... I like your Shattner avatar better.

Yep, Denny Crane is coming back, but I have it at work. This was fun, thanks!

HemiEd
05-23-2005, 02:32 AM
First time out with new motor today, everything went great. Motor ran flawlessly, beautiful but windy day. What a relief!

Mecca
05-23-2005, 05:35 AM

A dude on my street drives one, everytime anyone I know drives to my house they always ask me if I've ever noticed that before.

The other people on the corner, brought their bought home 1 weekend came out the next morning pulled the cover back and some dude was sleeping there.............

HemiEd
07-11-2005, 07:50 PM
First time out with new motor today, everything went great. Motor ran flawlessly, beautiful but windy day. What a relief!

Blew it up on Sunday, damn. Rod is hammering like SOB, guess I should have broke it in. Recommend RPM is 4200-4800 and my mods made able to run 5700 or 65 mph. Ran really fast for a while ( 11 hours) but I am sure getting tired of working on this. I have it most of the way out again. :deevee:

chiefs4me
07-16-2005, 08:13 PM
Blew it up on Sunday, damn. Rod is hammering like SOB, guess I should have broke it in. Recommend RPM is 4200-4800 and my mods made able to run 5700 or 65 mph. Ran really fast for a while ( 11 hours) but I am sure getting tired of working on this. I have it most of the way out again. :deevee:

:deevee:......there goes my boat ride...:banghead: