PDA

View Full Version : So give me your Royals prediction for this year...

Deberg_1990
04-03-2005, 11:33 AM
With the first game tommorow, give me your best guess at what their record will be.

Ill say 70-92 and thats being optismistic.

Bowser
04-03-2005, 11:36 AM
They'll lose no less than 95. It il take two years for Guy Hansen to make anything out of that bullpen.

Valiant
04-03-2005, 11:43 AM
85-77

Anderson is mvp of the royals with a 17-6 record, Greinke is right behind him with a 15-9 record and lima 13-11...

Pickering bats .259 with 28homers and has 95 walks with 90 strike outs...

Deberg_1990
04-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Anderson is mvp of the royals with a 17-6 record,

HAHAHAHAHAHA.....Riiight....

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 11:46 AM
I think this'll be 2003 all over again, although they probably won't win quite as many games. I just get a feeling like the attitude of the team is back to what it was then, I think getting Gonzalez and May out of the locker room will help a lot and I think the whole atmosphere is more conducive to success. I think it'll be a situation where they either play fairly consistently all year or get better as the season progresses (unlike '03 when they started hot and then folded). I'll say 77-85, and we'll actually be looking forward to '06.

big nasty kcnut
04-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Royal win the al central. Everybody produce and our bullpen is solid.

Pitt Gorilla
04-03-2005, 11:54 AM
I think this'll be 2003 all over again, although they probably won't win quite as many games. I just get a feeling like the attitude of the team is back to what it was then, I think getting Gonzalez and May out of the locker room will help a lot and I think the whole atmosphere is more conducive to success. I think it'll be a situation where they either play fairly consistently all year or get better as the season progresses (unlike '03 when they started hot and then folded). I'll say 77-85, and we'll actually be looking forward to '06.I'm really in this camp as well. We may not win quite that many, but we will build something good for 06.

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 11:57 AM
I think they will be a lot more like like 2003 than 2004. This is young team that will buy into Pena's rah rah rants. They will hang tough the first half of the season then fall apart after the all-star break and finish 78-84. Not great but an improvement none the less. That is my best case prediction.

Worst case. No pitching outside of Grienke, No hitting once Sweeney is traded or put on the DL. 52-110

Deberg_1990
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm really in this camp as well. We may not win quite that many, but we will build something good for 06.

I really think thats all anyone can hope for. This is a "re-building" year for lack of a better term.

ArrowheadHawk
04-03-2005, 12:03 PM
my prediction : royals will suck

AirForceChief
04-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Timely prediction from S.I.'s El Hombre:

AL CENTRAL: Minnesota is the defending champ. Cleveland's on its heels. Detroit is even better, for crying out loud. But the pick here is Chicago. The Pale Hose have some pop in that offense, and their pitching is better than you think. It's dangerous to count out Minnesota, but it's time for someone else to win this. Oh, yeah, they still play baseball in Kansas City, don't they?

Ouch...that'll leave a mark.

beavis
04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm really in this camp as well. We may not win quite that many, but we will build something good for 06.
Mark me down there as well. I'll be ballsy and predict 75 wins, but if they go out and play hard, and improve steadily over the season, I'll be content.

BTW, Bautista is pitching in the last exhibition game on tv right now, if anyones interested.

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Timely prediction from S.I.'s El Hombre:

AL CENTRAL: Minnesota is the defending champ. Cleveland's on its heels. Detroit is even better, for crying out loud. But the pick here is Chicago. The Pale Hose have some pop in that offense, and their pitching is better than you think. It's dangerous to count out Minnesota, but it's time for someone else to win this. Oh, yeah, they still play baseball in Kansas City, don't they?

Ouch...that'll leave a mark.

I love the Royals but every year it gets harder to care. I don't get to see many games down here in Cardinal country. RSTN sucks and so does the product on the field most time. If only Glass would realize if he spent money on the field and started contending he would fill the house almost every night. The fans aren't gone it is just that no one like to spend 81 nights a year getting their face beaten in.

You must spend money to make money at least that is what I thought anyway.

Thig Lyfe
04-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Us Royals fans are masochists.

My prediction: 62-100. Nice round numbers.

There will be three 12-hit games all year. Krispy Kreme finally turns a profit.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I love the Royals but every year it gets harder to care.

Agreed. I was a kid in the mid 70's to-s to mid 80s when we were one of the dominate teams in the league. Its hard to watch the team nowdays seeing how sorry they are. They are just a shell of what they once were. I feel sorry for the kids growing up in KC these days, for they know no different than Royals suckatude.

kc rush
04-03-2005, 12:29 PM
73-89 and last place in the central (barely). 2006 & 2007 will be better.

BTW - if Anderson has 17 wins, most of those will be with another team. If he is doing that well, he gets traded and we add more young talent (fine by me).

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Agreed. I was a kid in the mid 70's to-s to mid 80s when we were one of the dominate teams in the league. Its hard to watch the team nowdays seeing how sorry they are. They are just a shell of what they once were. I feel sorry for the kids growing up in KC these days, for they know no different than Royals suckatude.

I remember in late 80's when I was around 9 or 10 my uncle would get tickets threw Hallmark(he worked there and lived in Gradview) Bo, Brett, Sabes, Gubicza, White, Wilson etc where there and it was an exciting event. The place was packed and and electric. The team was stuck behind the A's in the West in those years but would have been in the playoffs in todays system.

Now I go and the Cardinal fans outnumber the Royals fans at interleague games and most people have been forced to accept that their is no hope and spend about 3 hrs making fun of the Royals.

It is sad what has happened to a team that was once one of the best in baseball year in and year out. :cuss:

kc rush
04-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Predicted standings in the central -

Minnesota - 91-71
Cleveland - 87-75
Chicago - 82-80
Detroit - 76-86
Royals - 73-89

Sure-Oz
04-03-2005, 12:40 PM
I don't care what our record will be it will be fun to watch the young guys develop, we are likely going to suck but will hav some good games, i dont think it will be worse than last year. Record wise maybe who knows but this team may be more fun to watch almost like 2003.

Deberg_1990
04-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I remember in late 80's when I was around 9 or 10 my uncle would get tickets threw Hallmark(he worked there and lived in Gradview) Bo, Brett, Sabes, Gubicza, White, Wilson etc where there and it was an exciting event. The place was packed and and electric. The team was stuck behind the A's in the West in those years but would have been in the playoffs in todays system.

Now I go and the Cardinal fans outnumber the Royals fans at interleague games and most people have been forced to accept that their is no hope and spend about 3 hrs making fun of the Royals.

It is sad what has happened to a team that was once one of the best in baseball year in and year out. :cuss:

Couldnt have said it better myself. I wonder what the stats are for how far the season ticket base has dropped over the past 20 years or so? Im curious as to how many season ticket holders they have this year??

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Im curious as to how many season ticket holders they have this year??

I don't know but according to a buddy of mine who purchased one of those 20 packs last year,he got it for even less this year by renewing it.

chiefqueen
04-03-2005, 12:53 PM
People will call every RSTN postgame show telling Mick, Brad, or Erin the Metrosports ticker sucks & the info on it is at least 5 days old.

SCTrojan
04-03-2005, 01:30 PM
BTW - if Anderson has 17 wins, most of those will be with another team. If he is doing that well, he gets traded and we add more young talent (fine by me).

I agree. He's only under contract for this year, so he'll be gone if he begins pitching lights out. He was pretty good the last few starts of last season and pitched five shutout innings in his last pre-season outing, so it wouldn't be surprising if he's more the pitcher he was in 2003.

Overall, I like that there are young guys playing now rather than Juan Gone and Benito. I'll say 70-75 wins. If they get truly hot, they may flirt with .500.

Logical
04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
61-101

KChiefs1
04-03-2005, 01:59 PM
77-85 :thumb:

Dave Lane
04-03-2005, 02:47 PM
75 - 87 Write it down.

Dave

alanm
04-03-2005, 03:04 PM
"So give me your Royals prediction for this year.."

They'll redefine the definition of suck. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

OmahaChief
04-03-2005, 03:55 PM
80-82. The pithcing will come around andthe stong bully will propel the Royals to an 80 win season!

It's Lima Time Baby! Beleive It!

OmahaChief
04-03-2005, 03:56 PM
85-77

Anderson is mvp of the royals with a 17-6 record, Greinke is right behind him with a 15-9 record and lima 13-11...

Pickering bats .259 with 28homers and has 95 walks with 90 strike outs...

I like your thinking. Go Royals.

alnorth
04-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I love the Royals but every year it gets harder to care. I don't get to see many games down here in Cardinal country. RSTN sucks and so does the product on the field most time. If only Glass would realize if he spent money on the field and started contending he would fill the house almost every night. The fans aren't gone it is just that no one like to spend 81 nights a year getting their face beaten in.

You must spend money to make money at least that is what I thought anyway.

If Glass spent a ton of money and was able to pack the house for all 81 games including SRO tickets..... he would still lose money. Compared to escalating player salaries and TV revenue, ticket sales are almost irrelevant.

If the Yankees didnt have their bloated Television network revenues, their payroll wouldnt be much higher than the Royals, the higher New York costs and prices would basically cancel out the higher ticket revenue.

Unfortunately, the Kansas City area simply does not contain enough television sets to ever attract the kind of TV revenue wed need to compete year after year, and that will never really change without meaningful revenue sharing.

NFL fans are spoiled rotten, imagine how Kansas City or even Green Bay would do without one massive TV contract negotiated with the NFL (instead of every man for himself in MLB) with almost complete revenue sharing. The Chiefs and Packers would suck year after year as well, with a very rare lightning-in-a-bottle year before going back to sucking again. Hell, if we ever got substantial revenue sharing, we really wouldnt need a salary cap, that would just take care of itself with the smaller teams able to spend more and the higher teams able to spend less.

The sooner KC fans stop bitching at Glass and get behind him for the next CBA, the sooner we could dream about meaningful revenue sharing. I would accept a 2-year strike if it means we no longer have an excuse to blame anyone else for a losing baseball team at the end of it.

Spicy McHaggis
04-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Ken Rosenthal just said the Royals are a 100 loss team waiting to happen. Things are bad when Detroit is garnering more support than you. That said I'm still going to sport the powder blue all this season like I have every season. I just wish my damn St. Louis neighbors would shut the hell up.

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Ken Rosenthal just said the Royals are a 100 loss team waiting to happen. Things are bad when Detroit is garnering more support than you. That said I'm still going to sport the powder blue all this season like I have every season. I just wish my damn St. Louis neighbors would shut the hell up.

Try be Royals fan in Springfield people can't phathom not being a Cardinals fan. The minor league team has made it worse. Oh well I am looking forward to sporting my Royals cap and St. Louis sucks t-shirt when Wichita comes town.

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 04:24 PM
If Glass spent a ton of money and was able to pack the house for all 81 games including SRO tickets..... he would still lose money. Compared to escalating player salaries and TV revenue, ticket sales are almost irrelevant.

If the Yankees didnt have their bloated Television network revenues, their payroll wouldnt be much higher than the Royals, the higher New York costs and prices would basically cancel out the higher ticket revenue.

Unfortunately, the Kansas City area simply does not contain enough television sets to ever attract the kind of TV revenue wed need to compete year after year, and that will never really change without meaningful revenue sharing.

NFL fans are spoiled rotten, imagine how Kansas City or even Green Bay would do without one massive TV contract negotiated with the NFL (instead of every man for himself in MLB) with almost complete revenue sharing. The Chiefs and Packers would suck year after year as well, with a very rare lightning-in-a-bottle year before going back to sucking again. Hell, if we ever got substantial revenue sharing, we really wouldnt need a salary cap, that would just take care of itself with the smaller teams able to spend more and the higher teams able to spend less.

The sooner KC fans stop bitching at Glass and get behind him for the next CBA, the sooner we could dream about meaningful revenue sharing. I would accept a 2-year strike if it means we no longer have an excuse to blame anyone else for a losing baseball team at the end of it.

I understand what you are saying but I see the Twins, Reds, A's, Padres, Giants, St Louis and other small market teams with REAL payrolls. I know it is not my money but Glass knew what he was getting into when he bought the team. All I am saying is that if Glass wants to win and keep his players he could. He could probably loose money every year and not even blink. It is not like it is his only business venture. If you buy a sports team to make money you are probably in the wrong business. Knowing that Grienke, Buck, etc will be gone in 5 yrs no matter is nothing to get excited about.

Baseball is messed up and I hope to live to see the day that baseball has a similar system as the NFL. I am sure I will see the Royals in Portland before that happens though.

Braincase
04-03-2005, 04:28 PM
98 losses.

alnorth
04-03-2005, 04:33 PM
I understand what you are saying but I see the Twins, Reds, A's, Padres, Giants, St Louis and other small market teams with REAL payrolls. I know it is not my money but Glass knew what he was getting into when he bought the team. All I am saying is that if Glass wants to win and keep his players he could. He could probably loose money every year and not even blink. It is not like it is his only business venture. If you buy a sports team to make money you are probably in the wrong business. Knowing that Grienke, Buck, etc will be gone in 5 yrs no matter is nothing to get excited about.

Baseball is messed up and I hope to live to see the day that baseball has a similar system as the NFL. I am sure I will see the Royals in Portland before that happens though.

Well I'm glad to see your not totally blind to reality. As for some of the other small market teams, there are some "real" small market teams (KC, Twinkies), and some teams in populated areas that cry about being small market. (Cleveland? Oakland? Pittsburgh? Are you freaking kidding me?)

As far as Glass goes, well he made it clear from Day 1 that he didnt intend to gain any money, but he wouldnt lose money in the long run either. (Though he did say hed be willing to lose a few million in a big year if it meant we had a chance to win something).

From the fan's point of view, its not as good as maybe having an internet Billionaire who sees the Royals as a big playtoy and couldnt care less about throwing away millions a year, but when it came time to buy the team, we didnt have any credible buyers but Glass. Its either him or KC relocates. So, we have what we have, both in our cruel demographic realities, and an owner who doesnt want to operate a big charity, so we're left with backing him for the next CBA. (and hoping we can draft and develop talent as intelligently as the Twins, and win once in a while.) We are lucky enough to be in a division with only 1 big market that is pathetically underperforming to its potential.

Spicy McHaggis
04-03-2005, 04:40 PM
I think the toughest thing to swallow is the fact that year after year we as fans have to watch our talent leave. I'll always love the Royals but when it comes down to it the true small market teams are only a little above being a farm system. I guess I'll get my Greinke jersey now so at least I can get a few years out of it before it joins Damon and Dye in the back of the closet.

Archie Bunker
04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I think the toughest thing to swallow is the fact that year after year we as fans have to watch our talent leave. I'll always love the Royals but when it comes down to it the true small market teams are only a little above being a farm system. I guess I'll get my Greinke jersey now so at least I can get a few years out of it before it joins Damon and Dye in the back of the closet.

Exactly. You have to accept that your favorite players will be gone soon. In an article Baird said that if you buy a Buck t-shirt you will be able to wear it for the life of the t-shirt. Then he basically said that the life of the t-shirt will be 5 yrs since Buck will be gone around that time.

That is F'd up.

Constent rebuild is the only way teams like the Royals can make it. The A's and Twins are great at this; the Royals and Pirates are not. I think Baird is getter better getting good young talent and at drafting I hope I am right.

beavis
04-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I understand what you are saying but I see the Twins, Reds, A's, Padres, Giants, St Louis and other small market teams with REAL payrolls.
These are last years figures:

9. San Francisco 82,019,166
10. St. Louis 81,008,517
16. San Diego 63,689,503
18. Oakland 59,825,167
19. Minnesota 53,585,000
23. Kansas City 47,609,000
25. Cincinnati 42,722,858

That argument doesn't hold up. I'm not sure why you included San Franscisco, which is a substantially larger market than KC (actually all of them are) but none of the others you mention have 4 times the payroll of the Royals like the Yankees or Red Sox. Not to mention, 3 of those teams have built new stadiums recently.

How many players did those teams lose this year anyway? I'm not an A's fan, but it really pissed me off that they had to breakup Zito/Mulder/Hudson, cause I know what it's like.

Baseball won't be fixed until Steinbrenner decides to stop being a prick and realize that he's killing his own business.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2005, 05:32 PM
All I know is you will lose your 3-game road trip starting May 24.

HemiEd
04-03-2005, 05:35 PM
74/88

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Did anybody actually watch the game today? I've been cautiously optimistic all spring because I'm not quite sure what we'll look like, but man, I have to say I was pretty impressed. We swept a two game series with the Astros in Minute Maid Park, yesterday beating Roger Clemens 3-0, and today Denny Bautista was lighting it up in getting a win. Pitched 5 2/3 innings, no runs, only 3 hits, 5 K... against Houston's "A" lineup. He is just nasty, you watch him pitch and wonder what Baltimore was thinking giving him up. I think his ceiling for potential may be higher than Greinke's.

Pickering also had two homers the last two days including one off Clemens. Berroa was 3-3 with a homer today. Teahen looks great, he may be better than Randa already. He had an RBI double and had a sterling defensive play today. I never realized he had such a cannon for an arm, he can really wing it across the diamond. I'm sure he'll make some errors adjusting to the big leagues but he can really flash some leather over there at third. After winning 3-0 yesterday, it was 9-0 today before the minor league subs came in and the Astros got some runs on the board. Our "A" team dominated the Astros "A" team pretty much for two days, definitely a good confidence builder heading into the season. I think this could be the best pitching team we've had in years, I think they'll be better than the 2003 team in that regard. Hopefully they'll string some hits together and score enough runs to win some games. It seemed like we had a really good approach at the plate today, taking pitches, working counts, making the pitcher work, and then punishing the pitcher when he finally made a mistake. If they don't panic when the lights come on, and play smart fundamental baseball like they showed they could play the last 8-10 days of Spring Training, it might not be a playoff team but this team will be pretty enjoyable to watch.

Spicy McHaggis
04-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I listened to it and I was impressed too. Especially with Angel, hopefully last year was just the soph. slump.

Sure-Oz
04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
They are choosing agood time to get hot, we need like an 9 game win streak like 2003 so we can be just under .500 to finish the season, Go Royals!! I just hope the aging vets do well enough to be traded for something good, im anxtious to see what Dejesus, Teahan and Gotay can bring as well as our pitching that we haven't seen together in awhile, im excited.

mcan
04-03-2005, 06:05 PM
We could probably be getting a push for .500 this year, which would probably be good enough to win the division. What a sad division this is...

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
I listened to it and I was impressed too. Especially with Angel, hopefully last year was just the soph. slump.
Yeah, I don't know... I mean I was excited for tomorrow to get here but I got to watch the game today on the Direct TV at my dad's house, and now I'm pumped. I've never really gotten excited over an exhibition game, but I have to admit when Teahen made that great play on the rocket grounder, snagged it, got up, and fired a perfect rocket across the diamond just in time to rob the the runner of a base hit, I yelled "Yes!"... ROFL

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 06:13 PM
I think we should all take the "We suck, goddamnit, anything better than 0-162 will be a miracle" stance. That way it's a good year nomatter what.

beavis
04-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I don't know... I mean I was excited for tomorrow to get here but I got to watch the game today on the Direct TV at my dad's house, and now I'm pumped. I've never really gotten excited over an exhibition game, but I have to admit when Teahen made that great play on the rocket grounder, snagged it, got up, and fired a perfect rocket across the diamond just in time to rob the the runner of a base hit, I yelled "Yes!"... ROFL
I'm just afraid that being this young, we'll be inconsistant has hell. I'm fully prepared to watch Teahen boot his share of routine grounders. But yeah, I'm kinda like you, I was cautiously optimistic before today. But after watching Bautista... damn that kid is going to be good. I really think we can manufacture enough runs to win games if the pitching lives up to it's potential.

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid Jose Lima is going to do enough to kill the high tomorrow that we won't have to worry about it....

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm fully prepared to watch Teahen boot his share of routine grounders.As I recall, Teahan is supposed to be very, very good defensively, it's his bat they aren't sure about yet.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'm afraid Jose Lima is going to do enough to kill the high tomorrow that we won't have to worry about it....I dunno, I think he's still pissed off at the Tigers. What time is tomorrow's game, anyway. I'm too lazy to look it up.

beavis
04-03-2005, 06:20 PM
As I recall, Teahan is supposed to be very, very good defensively, it's his bat they aren't sure about yet.
He's got a rocket for an arm, but he's fairly erratic. I think he had 4 errors in 15 games or something like that this spring.

beavis
04-03-2005, 06:21 PM
I dunno, I think he's still pissed off at the Tigers. What time is tomorrow's game, anyway. I'm too lazy to look it up.
He gets shelled in Detroit though...

Game starts at 12:05.

HemiEd
04-03-2005, 06:24 PM

That is great to hear about Teahen, I have my Direct TV Extra Innings paid again in hopes that they will do something. I have never seen a preseason game shown on Extra Innings up here. Go Royals!

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm just afraid that being this young, we'll be inconsistant has hell. I'm fully prepared to watch Teahen boot his share of routine grounders. But yeah, I'm kinda like you, I was cautiously optimistic before today. But after watching Bautista... damn that kid is going to be good. I really think we can manufacture enough runs to win games if the pitching lives up to it's potential.
I'm sure there will be ugly games. I hope we can put it all together though, seemed like last year when the bullpen was doing well, the starter would give up 7 runs... then Darrell May would pitch great, and we'd lose 2-0. Hopefully we can find some consistency, and that'll be easier with good pitching. Bautista has surprised me, coming into camp I figured he'd still be a ways away because of his control problems, but he's sure got some vicious stuff.

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:28 PM
He gets shelled in Detroit though...

Game starts at 12:05.
It's also on ESPN 2...

jenksme
04-03-2005, 06:38 PM
I know this will sound like a homer but I feel the Royals will be close to .500 like 79-83, this is the team that was picked to win the division last year. They had injuries to the pithing staff that put them behind the 8-ball starting out last year. It will be interesting to see how they respond to the begining of regular season baseball. IF they could start hot and let the youngsters get used to winning then who knows how far they could go. IF they start slow they could crash and burn as well. But, the pitching is better this year than last year so I don't see a crash as horribled as last year based on the pitching alone.

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 06:56 PM
People will call every RSTN postgame show telling Mick, Brad, or Erin the Metrosports ticker sucks & the info on it is at least 5 days old.
ROFL

82 and something. :)

tk13
04-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Oh yeah, we've also gotta keep Brian Anderson out of Sky's signature. That's the other key to success.

:)

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Oh yeah, we've also gotta keep Brian Anderson out of Sky's signature. That's the other key to success.

:)
ROFL It wasn't my fault!

Do not put Lima in your sig...

Demonpenz
04-03-2005, 07:00 PM
This years going to be magical! I can feel it

tk13
04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
ROFL It wasn't my fault!

Do not put Lima in your sig...
Whatever woman, you about ruined my team last year. You're not going to do it again.

VonneMarie
04-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Whatever woman, you about ruined my team last year. You're not going to do it again.
No the offense will take care of that. :banghead:

Demonpenz
04-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I just hope ken harvey isn't called up. That play where he was beened in the back by an incoming throw took 10 years off my life. I remember the Call by Matthews. Here comes the throw..... AND it hits harvey in the back....

Ryan: WHAT? What was he doing

Denny: Well one thing holds true in anysport you have to watch the ball

Ryan: (What in the world was ken harvey thinking )

tk13
04-04-2005, 02:31 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/11303954.htm

Bautista's hot stuff gets rave reviews

By JEFF PASSAN

The Kansas City Star

HOUSTON — Tony Peña looked at Denny Bautista as noon struck, an hour before he started to tear through another lineup.

“I wouldn't be surprised,” said Peña, the Royals manager, “if this kid goes out and wins Rookie of the Year. He's got the stuff to do it.”

With all of that stuff on display Sunday, Bautista stifled the Houston Astros in a 9-6 victory at Minute Maid Park that closed out the Royals' exhibition season with a 14-15-3 record. The Royals open the regular season at 12:05 p.m. today in Detroit.

Bautista, a 24-year-old right-hander who won the No. 4 starter job this spring, pitched 5 2/3 shutout innings. He gave up three hits and two walks, struck out five and left a former MVP shaking his head.

“A 97-, 98-mph fastball with natural cut? That's not easy to square up,” said Jeff Bagwell, whom Bautista struck out in the sixth inning. “He's got very good stuff. He throws four pitches. And if you can always reach back for the high 90s, that's not a bad thing to have.”

Early run support helped Bautista throw without worries. The Royals' first six hits went for extra bases, and after the fourth inning, they held a 7-0 lead thanks to home runs by Alberto Castillo and Angel Berroa. Designated hitter Calvin Pickering added his second solo home run in two games in the seventh inning for a 9-0 lead.

In the bottom of the seventh, the Astros hammered Billy Buckner, a minor-league pitcher, for five runs. Didn't matter. With the offense spiking and Bautista slinging, they were in good shape.

“I feel so happy because I made this team,” Bautista said. “Last year my mechanics were different. Now I've got everything.”

siberian khatru
04-04-2005, 06:07 AM
69-93.

I just want to see some development. And get through a season without our key young'uns getting hurt (YOU HEAR ME, NICK SWARTZ???).

shakesthecat
04-04-2005, 06:42 AM
77-85

But for some strange reason, I feel very optimistic about this team.
I'm not sure they can have a 2003 repeat, but I think they can at least be a respectable team.

And being the glutton for punishment I am, I'm going to knock off work a little early and catch the last few innings at home today.

:Royals:

ChiTown
04-04-2005, 07:12 AM
68-94

No hitting, no speed, no power.........................maybe it'll be closer to 62.

Offensively, I can't figure what this team is trying to be. I have no problem playing small ball, but you have to be able to run. I look at this lineup, and I don't see any speed. But, if you don't play the speed angle, you should have some power in the lineup, which we really don't possess. I dunno. I'm trying to get excited about the youth movement, but I just can't figure out what Allard is trying to do with the makeup of the team.

StcChief
04-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Dead Last in a weak division.

bkkcoh
04-04-2005, 07:29 AM
I think there will be significant improvement from last year. Why??

1. Our pitching will be better, yeah we have a lot riding on our young pitchers, but I think they will be able to surprise some people.

2. Our defense will have to be better, didn't the Royals give up more unearned runs than anyone else last year. I just don't see that happening like that this year.

3. We can't be nearly as bad as last year, can we??

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
optimism leads to be go with 56-106.

Eleazar
04-04-2005, 07:55 AM
The pitching will be better, but the offense might be just as dismal, even though it's hard to get worse than 100 losses in baseball. We should be 10 games better or so, with an outside chance they get close to .500. All depends on who stays healthy and if any of the young bats mature.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:59 AM
The pitching will be better, but the offense might be just as dismal, even though it's hard to get worse than 100 losses in baseball. We should be 10 games better or so, with an outside chance they get close to .500. All depends on who stays healthy and if any of the young bats mature.
ROFL