PDA

View Full Version : How do you have your Cds organized?

KC Jones
04-03-2005, 12:22 PM
We just moved into our new house out here in Colorado 1.5 weeks ago. Today I was looking at the few hundred Jewel cases we currently have stacked on the mantle or around it and thinking about buying some kind of cabinet to house it all. Then it occured to me (duh) that I should just buy some of those Cd binders and ditch the cases altogether. Of course the next question is how to organize the collection. Is there some sort of commonly used dewey decimal system out there for music? I can more or less divide the stuff into categories - jazz, classical, etc. but then I start thinking does Coltrane really go next to Ellington? Should Sting go in Jazz or rock? Where the hell does Paul Simon go? When it comes to rock can I really have the Beatles next to AudioSlave?

So, how do you organize your music and how do you house it?

Bowser
04-03-2005, 12:26 PM
I have a wife and a daughter who couldn't find their asses with both hands. Generally, my organization consists of me asking my wife where did she put my CD, and why was she messing with it in the first place.

Organization......ROFL

DRU
I have all of my music in my computer as high quality mp3s. Of course beginning this now with a couple hundred cds or more would be a very time consuming task. However, once there in there it's fabulous. Of course it takes a lot of hard drive space too.

Another computer option is buy one of those CD organizers. It's basically like a 200 disc changer (or larger) that connects to your computer. Using the provided software you can input all the information youw ant for each CD and tell it which slot it's in in the changer. That way with the click of a button it will switch and play whatever you want.

I know you can get these on ebay for under $100.00.

Good Luck!

dtebbe
My entire CD library is in HQ MP3 format in iTunes, available at a click of the mouse. My actual CD's are in file boxes in the basement. I use my music more than ever now, and can find and play any song in my collection in about 30 seconds.

iTunes also works great for burning a "weekly" car CD or two, so you have your own greatest hits CDs new every week.

Best of all, iTunes is free.

DT

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a large cabinet with built-in cd slots,I have all my music together only alphabetized.Once a month I'll take any new purchases and add them at that time as adding one or two at a time is way too time consuming.

I also have a section that is specifically for compilation discs i.e. 70's hits etc.

cadmonkey
04-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Like Nzoner, I have them alphabetically. First by band then by album. its easier to find them this way and easier to tell what is missing.

Rain Man
04-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I have a CD rack. The ones I listen to more float to the top, and the ones I listen to less gravitate to the bottom. It's Darwinism at its finest.

Frazod
04-03-2005, 12:44 PM
My DVDs are meticulously organized. The CDs, on the other hand, are all over the place. Go figure.

Nzoner
04-03-2005, 12:46 PM
My DVDs are meticulously organized. The CDs, on the other hand, are all over the place. Go figure.

How many DVDs are you up to now?

Frazod
04-03-2005, 12:50 PM
How many DVDs are you up to now?
Haven't counted them lately, but probably approaching 350. When I first moved out here I bought two double-sided rotating oak DVD cases. At that time, I had enough to fill about a third of one side of one of them. Now I've only got two shelves left.

kc rush
04-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I have a CD rack and I keep it organized alphabetically by artist then chronologicaly by release date.

Baby Lee
04-03-2005, 12:57 PM
I have a little over 1200 CDs, and I go;

1. Alphabetized by Artist, if Single Artist [by composer if Classical]
2. Alphabetical by Title, if a compilation, soundtrack, etc. [except Eric Kunzel and the Cincinatti Pops, whom I have enough of to group together in the K's].
3. Alphabetical by Person or Group tributed, if it's a tribute album.
4. Within CDs by the same artist, chronological by release.

keg in kc
04-03-2005, 12:58 PM
My DVDs are meticulously organized. The CDs, on the other hand, are all over the place. Go figure.Ditto, I'm not sure why that is.

Although, honestly, I don't have many of both. And most of the CDs I listen to these days are coast to coast broadcasts, and there's really no reason to alphabetize those. I just kind of let them migrate around my apartment.

el borracho
04-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I would recomend against using the CD binders for your original CDs as these binders seem to damage the CDs (sliding the CDs in and out). I did this a few years ago and am now regretting it as I keep having to replace my CDs (I threw away all the jewel cases). Now when I buy a CD, I burn a copy to put in the binder and keep all the original CDs in thier jewel cases in a box. When the copy gets damaged, I burn a new copy from the original.

KCWolfman
04-03-2005, 01:14 PM
I. By genre
II. By artist
A. If artist is a single artist, by last name
B. If artist is a band, by first name of band excluding "the", "a", and "an"
III. By year of release if more than one CD by the artist/band

Bob Dole
04-03-2005, 01:23 PM
On the hard disk so they can be accessed at any PC or from the Go Video DVD player attached to the home theater. The CDs themselves are scattered all over the damned place.