PDA

View Full Version : KU :Williams defends ‘chitchats' ..... ( This is going to turn a few heads )

ROYC75
04-04-2005, 07:33 AM
Williams defends ‘chitchats'

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11303995.htm

(Tampering ? This is for my beloved Jayhawks buddys that refuse to see the whole picture ......... )

ST. LOUIS — With a victory in tonight's NCAA title game, North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams could end two sorry chapters in his life.

He could lose the title as “the best college basketball coach to never win an NCAA title,” and he could become the coach who restored the Carolina basketball program rather than the coach who bolted Kansas in a whirlwind of controversy and broken hearts.

Yes, in perhaps the most-anticipated NCAA final since Larry Bird and Magic Johnson squared off in 1979, in a game being dubbed as “Talent (North Carolina) vs. Team (Illinois),” in a championship pitting the country's No. 1 and No. 2 teams, Roy Williams has the most riding on the outcome.

“I know this doesn't make good copy, but I don't think about that,” Williams said. “I do think about winning or not winning. And I do think about winning a national championship. But I don't think about how that puts me in the hierarchy.”

Roy needs this victory tonight, much more than Illinois coach Bruce Weber, leader of the nation's top-ranked team. First off, Roy has a roster loaded with future NBA players.

“The perception is, you know, if we win,” Williams explained, “ ‘Gosh, you're supposed to win, Roy. If you can't win with that group, you ain't ever going to win.'

“I really think that's going to happen. I hope it does. They can say anything they want to about me.”

That's not totally true. Roy, as we've established, still cares about what's said about him as it relates to Kansas. He'll never quit caring about that. A victory tonight could help him move beyond all the Kansas talk. A victory tonight would give those of us in the media something to write and talk about more than his career at Kansas and his ugly departure.

On Sunday one question seemed to elicit the most detail and passion from Williams. I asked him about the perception that his communication with his former KU players interfered with Bill Self's ability to connect with the Jayhawks. Williams gave an extensive response. I'm going to share all of it with you because I think it's important that Williams be heard in context.

“I spoke to two different Kansas players (this season),” Williams said. “Wayne Simien, twice in 12 months, and both times he called me. I'm not supposed to take a call when a former player that I'd known for six years — I'm not supposed to take that call? That's the part that I don't understand.

“Secondly, I called him once, knowing that he was being operated on because I'd seen it in the paper and I saw it went across the little bottom line on the ESPN thing. I left a message of: ‘You're tough enough. You've been through a lot. You can get through this. You'll come back even stronger.'

“The other two times he called me, and I did speak to him,” Williams continued. “We never one time talked about basketball. He called on media day, because he had seen it was media day and remembered how much I truly loved media day. He called me in my car. I told him it was a great thrill to be talking to him as opposed to spending nine hours at media day. The other time he called me was on Christmas Day. That was about four, five, six days after his surgery.

“I don't really think that Kansas had any ‘problem' this year. I think they had a great year. But I definitely don't think Wayne Simien was the problem.”

Williams then transitioned into a conversation he had with KU point guard Aaron Miles.

“The other phone call was last year on Christmas Eve,” Williams said. “Aaron Miles called me and wished me merry Christmas. This year I decided to call him and wish him merry Christmas and left a message on his voicemail. He called me back on Christmas Day.

“I don't really think, again, that Kansas had a problem. If Kansas had a problem, I don't think Aaron Miles was that problem. So do I think it was inappropriate? No.”

The skeptical journalist in me believes Williams intentionally referenced Kansas' two best players because he's probably aware that the Kansas coaching staff struggled to reach Keith Langford and J.R. Giddens.

The potential “problem” players did not communicate with Williams.

OK, back to what Williams had to say.

“When I was at Kansas, Larry Brown's staff called the players that I was coaching,” Williams said. “When I was at North Carolina my first year, Matt Doherty — Doug Wojcik was quoted the other day as saying he speaks to the North Carolina players. That doesn't bother me.

“I know that I would never, ever do anything to hurt Kansas, their success and especially those players. So, yes, it does bother me for somebody to say I interfered. I did interfere because I recruited all those kids and I cared about all those kids. But to say that I interfered was far from the truth. …

“USA Today did an article on Wayne Simien, called me and wanted to know what kind of kid he was,” Williams continued. “I said he's a wonderful kid. He called me on Father's Day my first year that I was gone. Every time he would call or every time I would see him or anything, he would always end it by saying, ‘Please tell your wife hello.'

“And then there was another article done, and then there was another article done. They took quotes from that and said that I was bragging about my chitchats. You and I both know that's not fair.”

Well, the last line was a shot at me. I wrote the “bragging chitchat” stuff in my column a couple of days after Kansas lost to Bucknell. Williams read it and was upset. He cares about how he's perceived back here. He doesn't want to be remembered as the guy who hurt the Kansas basketball program.

He wants to be remembered as the very successful Kansas coach who went on to win a national championship at North Carolina. It could happen tonight

Soupnazi
04-04-2005, 07:38 AM
Get over it already.

ChiTown
04-04-2005, 07:42 AM
You go Roy. Go Heels!

:)

DaKCMan AP
04-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Go Illinois!

Eleazar
04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Jeez, what is wrong with that?

HC_Chief
04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
F*ck 'em both ;)

And Royc, Williams is a Tar Heel now. You can quit sucking his balls any day now :p

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 07:45 AM
IMO the Kansas fans are much more over this than the media would like them to be.

This is just another non-story trotted out by a guy that wants to grab the spotlight but doesn't have a real and original angle on the game.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I did interfere because I recruited all those kids and I cared about all those kids. But to say that I interfered was far from the truth. …

huh.......????????

Roy is a bitch.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:48 AM
IMO the Kansas fans are much more over this than the media would like them to be.

This is just another non-story trotted out by a guy that wants to grab the spotlight but doesn't have a real and original angle on the game.
Exactly. I'm glad droppy dog is gone. He's still a bitch though. As the Illini will prove again tonight.

ChiTown
04-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Exactly. I'm glad droppy dog is gone. He's still a bitch though. As the Illini will prove again tonight.

ROFL

You just keep telling yourself that, especially right after Roy and his team are cutting down the nets.......... ROFL

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:51 AM
ROFL

You just keep telling yourself that, especially right after Roy and his team are cutting down the nets.......... ROFL
You're a bitch too.

:p

Eleazar
04-04-2005, 07:53 AM

See, half the KU fans say that they're all over it and it's a media-invented story, but you still hear plenty of people talking like this.

Roy sure is a real jerk, giving you guys what, 15 winning seasons in a row and tournament appearances in each? How dare he go coach at his alma mater. What has he done for us yesterday :shake:

ChiTown
04-04-2005, 07:54 AM
See, half the KU fans say that they're all over it and it's a media-invented story, but you still hear plenty of people talking like this.

Roy sure is a real jerk, giving you guys what, 15 winning seasons in a row and tournament appearances in each? How dare he go coach at his alma mater. What has he done for us yesterday :shake:

So, so very freaking true.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 07:57 AM

I didn't say he was a jerk. I said he was a bitch.

:)

ROYC75
04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Many of you have the wrong picture here, Williams owes KU nothing, he gave us 15 years of good basketball. That's all.

Some of you want to bitch because he left, still bitter. The fact that you want to make more of the chit chats is proof. Even when the players called him as much.

Like I said, no harm was done,it's time to let it go Jayhawk nation.We have a good coach now that will get things right, I for 1 have always felt that Self is more than capable of getting the job done at KU.

As for the game........ Go Illini.

( this is a bad title game either way for KU, can hear the cat calls either way depending who wins )

NaptownChief
04-04-2005, 08:03 AM
Self leaves Illinois and they go to the title in just the 2nd season and Roy goes to UNC and they go to the title game in just his 2nd season...Kansas rolls up the biggest choke job in the tourney to Bucknell in the first round....Not sure what if any conclusions to make of it but Illinois fans are damn glad they got rid of Self for Webber, UNC fans are damn glad they got Roy and after getting beat in the 1st round by Bucknell I can't imagine KU fans are damn glad about anything. :D

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Manu of you have the wrong picture here, Williams owes KU nothing, he gave us 15 years of good basketball. That's all.

Some of you want to bitch because he left, still bitter. The fact that you want to make more of the chit chats is proof. Even when the players called him as much.

Like I said, no harm was done,it's time to let it go Jayhawk nation.We have a good coach now that will get things right, I for 1 have always felt that Self is more than capable of getting the job done at KU.

As for the game........ Go Illini.

( this is a bad title game either way for KU, can hear the cat calls either way depending who wins )
I want to know where I said I'm still bitter that Roy left.

All I said was that Roy is a bitch. ROFL I didn't know that word had so many more meanings.

Damn, just having a little fun here.

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Self leaves Illinois and they go to the title in just the 2nd season and Roy goes to UNC and they go to the title game in just his 2nd season...Kansas rolls up the biggest choke job in the tourney to Bucknell in the first round....Not sure what if any conclusions to make of it but Illinois fans are damn glad they got rid of Self for Webber, UNC fans are damn glad they got Roy and after getting beat in the 1st round by Bucknell I can't imagine KU fans are damn glad about anything. :D
We're glad we're not MU fans.

:D

ROYC75
04-04-2005, 08:06 AM

Damn you, this thread was hot enough, didn't need the added fuel to the fire ! :fire: :banghead:

KCFalcon59
04-04-2005, 08:33 AM
http://cjonline.com/stories/040405/kca_roycorrect.shtml

Roy: Correct, but wrong
http://ads.cjonline.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif (http://ads.cjonline.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.cjonline.com/sports/whoop/index.html/1300479615/Position1/default/empty.gif/38616536333031323431386664643130)
By Kurt Caywood
The Capital-Journal ST. LOUIS -- Roy Williams is right, of course. He's always right. He's right to the last detail. He's innocent by every letter of the law.

Williams acquitted himself eloquently Sunday when asked, on the eve of coaching North Carolina in the NCAA championship game, about phone conversations the last couple of years with the Kansas players he left behind.

The issue of Williams talking to Jayhawk players wafted around the Jayhawk program throughout the last couple of months. It solidified recently when Bill Self, who left Illinois to replace Williams at KU, said that he was pulling for the Illini but that, beyond a fax to the basketball office, he would not contact them to tell them so.

"My policy has been players need to hear one voice and one voice only," Self said. "They don't need to be venting to their ex-coach or stuff like that. Sure it's hard for me. I love those kids. But that's the way it has to be because of the respect I have for Bruce (Weber) and his staff."

Read anything between the lines there?

Williams on Sunday left nothing to inference, filling in every blank and detailing the occasion of each contact. Wayne Simien had called twice in 12 months. Williams called and left an encouraging message when Simien had surgery on his hand. Aaron Miles called to say Merry Christmas in 2003. Williams called Miles to say Merry Christmas in 2004.

The defense continued: Kansas didn't have a problem this year, but if it did have a problem, Simien and Miles weren't it ... they didn't talk basketball ... other coaches called Williams' players and he didn't mind ... he never would do anything to hurt KU or those players ... the media took his comments out of context and blew the whole issue out of proportion.

Five hundred and 24 words later, the defense rested, and of course Roy was right. It is a free country. He can talk to whomever he wants. He did recruit and care deeply for those kids. He certainly never would have said anything to undermine Self.

"So yes," Williams said, "it does bother me for somebody to say I interfered."

In town for the Naismith Award banquet Sunday night, Simien also said the issue was blown out of proportion, that he and his former coach had not spoken since the holidays, that their conversations had little to do with hoops and that they had no effect on the season.

I'm sure that was the case.

I'm also sure that's not the point.

Kansas was not a together team this year. The players were parts but seldom a whole behind a senior class that never totally bought into Self's way of doing things.

Williams might not have meant anything by talking to them, but talking to them meant he was still a presence. Each contact could be construed as a precious little slice of a happier time.

The point wasn't what they talked about. The point was that they talked. Period.

If Williams had exercised self-discipline and graciously told Simien and Miles when they first called that it was inappropriate for them to be in contact then but that he gladly would be their fast friend again just as soon as they had exhausted their eligibility, would the Jayhawks have been more unified and more successful under Self?

No telling.

But Williams owed them that chance.

dave0320
04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Who cares!

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Roy is a class act, a fine coach, and a good man. Anyone who can't see that, I don't know what to say.

If my children grow up to be like him, I will be very proud as a parent.

Monty
04-04-2005, 08:38 AM

Yep. I'm one Jayhawk fan who fits the profile. :cuss:

KCFalcon59
04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I like Roy. I hate UNC.

jarjar
04-04-2005, 08:49 AM
http://cjonline.com/stories/040405/kca_roycorrect.shtml

Roy: Correct, but wrong
http://ads.cjonline.com/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/default/empty.gif (http://ads.cjonline.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.cjonline.com/sports/whoop/index.html/1300479615/Position1/default/empty.gif/38616536333031323431386664643130)
By Kurt Caywood

The point wasn't what they talked about. The point was that they talked. Period.

If Williams had exercised self-discipline and graciously told Simien and Miles when they first called that it was inappropriate for them to be in contact then but that he gladly would be their fast friend again just as soon as they had exhausted their eligibility, would the Jayhawks have been more unified and more successful under Self?

No telling.

But Williams owed them that chance.

They can't talk at all? Not even to wish a merry christmas?
That's just... that's just flat retarded. If they were going on about basketball and coaching in particular, that's one thing, but come on.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 08:52 AM
*turns head*

Baby Lee
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
They can't talk at all? Not even to wich a merry christmas?
That's just... that's just flat retarded. If they were going on about basketball and coaching in particular, that's one thing, but come on.
What if, for a week after every phone call, the player's mood was "Geez, this place sucks, I miss the Cackalackey C*cksucker" and he plays like sh*t?

the Talking Can
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
poor Roy...he's always the victim...awww shucks

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Have I mentioned that Roy is a bitch?

:thumb:

Lzen
04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
That's an interesting take in that article that KCFalcon59 posted. But I have a hard time believing that Roy had anything to do with the Jayhawks poor play down the stretch. I guess we'll never know for sure. I wish Roy all the luck. But I never have liked the Tarheels. Add to that the fact that I would much prefer that Kansas win a title before Roy wins one with UNC and you know who I'm rooting for tonight.

But I really don't have anything against Roy. He was a great coach for us for 15 years. I'm glad that we had him as he gave us a lot of great times. I always said when he was here that I felt he would get that title someday. He finally started recruiting the type of players that fit the modern NCAA player mold....i.e. stronger, quicker....rather than just 7 footers. Heck, if they would've been able to make their FTs a couple years ago (how does a team miss 18 FTs in a title game? :shake: ) , he would've won that elusive title with Kansas.

As for Self, I was told that he was going to be the better coach. That was just after Roy left and Kansas was looking for a new coach. As of now, I'm wondering if that's even true. Then again, it's hard to judge a coach until he's been there a few years and has been able to bring in his own type of players. Time will tell. But this season's end was a disaster. Hopefully, next year will be better. :KU:

Good luck Roy.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 09:38 AM
poor Roy...he's always the victim...awww shucks

For a lefty, you sure can be callous sometimes.... :hmmm:

DaWolf
04-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Roy's a good guy and I'll be happy for him when he's holding that trophy tonight. I also think KU is in fine hands in the long run. Yeah people can make fun of Bucknell all they want but over time as Self's foundation is set into place I'm willing to bet KU will be as strong as ever if not more so...

ROYC75
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Roy's a good guy and I'll be happy for him when he's holding that trophy tonight. I also think KU is in fine hands in the long run. Yeah people can make fun of Bucknell all they want but over time as Self's foundation is set into place I'm willing to bet KU will be as strong as ever if not more so...

Well said.... I agree.

Lzen
04-04-2005, 10:33 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic. ;)

teedubya
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I just want to see Roy cry some more. Come on Illini, make Roy cry like a little bitch again.

ROYC75
04-04-2005, 10:55 AM
I just want to see Roy cry some more. Come on Illini, make Roy cry like a little bitch again.

Ole Roy will cry if he wins or if he loses..............

I'll be rooting for the Illini in this one.

KCTitus
04-04-2005, 11:09 AM

I hope you're right...it's quite odd the connection between KU and this game.

buddha
04-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Roy Williams would do anything behind he scenes to further his cause...ANYTHING. He is not the "aw shucks, guys...it's all about the keeeeeeeyds," clown that he portrays in public. I would pull for a team of Russians over any Roy Williams team.

Go Illini!

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 11:26 AM
fook roy williams ... fook dean smith(especially dean smith) ... fook all dem smelly bastiges in north carolina!!

:cuss:

go Illini :thumb:

StcChief
04-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Screw the Heels.

Lets have a 'team' win. Go Illini.

Youll be back next year Roy.