PDA

View Full Version : My wife is on a one-woman crusade to make doctors rich

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Maybe some of you more experienced husbands can help me out here. I have two kids, one is 3 and the other one is 1. Here's my problem:

Every time she or one of the kids gets a sniffle or a cough it's off to the doctor. Got a sore throat from nasal drainage because of a cold? Must need antibiotics. Never mind the fact that *if* they help it will be because of a placebo effect, just buy 'em!

My 3 year old's eye is a little red (I can't see it); must be pink eye! Two medications available? Why, the one that is more expensive and isn't covered by our insurance is the one *we* need!

Wife has a cracked tooth, better have a root canal followed by a crown. Of course that doesn't cure the crack and when the tooth breaks they'll have to pull it, but no matter, we'll just pay for that procedure when it comes, too!

------------------------------------

So WTF do I do to get her to calm the hell down and let it ride out? As if writing the checks isn't bad enough I work for myself and my office is in the basement so she's constantly leaving the house for these appointments and leaving me with one or both of the kids, so it's that much less time I get to spend billing.

:cuss: Friggin' women.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 09:42 AM
Nothing you can do, IMO. Anything you say will make you look like an insensitive bastard. I always keep my mouth shut and let her figure out the medical stuff. Plus, that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Saulbadguy
04-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Munchausen by Proxy.

Well, probably not...but, I don't know. There has got to be a happy median.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 09:46 AM
The only thing I can tell you is ride it out. As they get older they are not sick nearly as often. View it as a temporary money drain. While it pains me to type this, Phil is right. You are basically screwed so get used to it.

Stinger
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Nothing you can do, IMO. Anything you say will make you look like an insensitive bastard. I always keep my mouth shut and let her figure out the medical stuff. Plus, that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Yep best to let this one work itself out. Once the kids can be more conmunicative about what is wrong with them sickness wise it might tone down a bit. That or they will use it to their advantage. No mom I really can't go to school today ... cough ... cough

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 09:50 AM
While it pains me to type this, Phil is right. You are basically screwed so get used to it.
:banghead: ROFL

NewChief
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Find some literature on overmedication of children. Here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=overmedicating+children) is a good place to start.

Make her read it. She could actually be harming your kids by always resorting to antibiotics for every little thing.

crossbow
04-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Go for the lowest deductable on your insurance that you can get until this is over with.

Bob Dole
04-04-2005, 09:54 AM

Bob Dole would recommend listening to Phobia, as his advice is the result of a lifetime of experience.

If his father had taken Phobia's approach and let his mother handle things, perhaps they could have done something about his giant, misshapen head.

trndobrd
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Think of it this way, at least she isn't on a crusade to make attorneys rich.

:(

jspchief
04-04-2005, 09:56 AM

Occasionally looking like an insensitive bastard is part of being married. Let her know how you feel, ask her to be a little more patient with her trips to the doctor. Of course, the first time she or a child worsens, you'll never hear the end of it.

As far as watching the kids, it sounds like you two need to come to an understanding on what your "work at home" role consists of. Maybe you need to let her know that when you are working, you aren't able to be dad. Maybe she thinks it's a 50/50 split...if thats the case, she needs to be working the 50% of the time that you aren't.

Sounds to me like the biggest dispute is over who wears the pants in the family.

BigRedChief
04-04-2005, 09:57 AM
The only "Real" issue is the over perscription of anti-biotics. Your kids could develop a resistance to them and make them less than effective later because of their overuse early in their lives. It's a common problem. Mom's want some medicene when they go to the Dr. Doctors are well aware of the issue.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Just inform her that the additional medical expenses have sufficiently strained your budget, that you hope she will understand the blender you buy her for her birthday....and the power tools you buy for Christmas. Heh.

That ought to get her attention. :)

CosmicPal
04-04-2005, 09:59 AM
If it wasn't for my mom, I'd be dead. What 3 doctors told her was nothing more than a cold turned out to be bacterial meningitis. Had she not gone to that fourth doctor- I would never have made it.

Thanks to her "freaked-out" concerns, I'm still alive and well today.

donkhater
04-04-2005, 09:59 AM
My wife doesn't bring the kids to the doctor unless they are throwing up (more than once) or have had a fever longer than 24 hrs.

If they are sneezing or coughing, they'll get over it. This time of year it could be allergies, though. Otherwise a fever will show itself and we'll get medical attention.

I've had crooked teeth my whole life and have lived just fine, even a small crack in the front tooth. If it's causing a physical deformation or pain in the jaw or ear, we'll fix it, otherwise that's the way they were born IMHO.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Here's some more:
http://www.news-star.com/stories/012498/lfe_antibiotic.html

http://www.dmdoptions.com/parents_1155.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3578555.stm

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/antibiotics.htm

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Think of it this way, at least she isn't on a crusade to make attorneys rich.

:(
ROFL

No, that's my job because of my business. Them and tax accountants. :deevee:

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Here's some more:
http://www.news-star.com/stories/012498/lfe_antibiotic.html

http://www.dmdoptions.com/parents_1155.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3578555.stm

http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/antibiotics.htm
Thanks man.

Fire Me Boy!
04-04-2005, 10:07 AM
Trust me, it's worth looking like an insensitive bastard. My wife (of only 2 years) was a serious hypochondriac... after bitching, moaning, and telling her it was silly, she's finally starting to wait things out. Often times, if she starts feeling bad, she'll suffer through two or three days using NyQuil and the like... IF it gets worse or doesn't get better, THEN she goes to the doctor, which is OK by me.

Good luck! I know it sucks, though.

Saulbadguy
04-04-2005, 10:10 AM
I was always slightly annoyed at the daycare that would always bring in medicine for their kids, even if they weren't showing symptoms. Amoxicillin and Albuterol (sp?) were always the top 2.

Some kids even came in already loaded up on childrens nyquill. It kinda made me sad.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
My wife doesn't bring the kids to the doctor unless they are throwing up (more than once) or have had a fever longer than 24 hrs.

Yup - That's good advice. My wife finally got on board with that after asking some fairly poignant questions to the doctor. A fever is the body's way of fighting off infection. If it doesn't get the infection in 24 hours, there may be medical care required.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 10:11 AM
The only "Real" issue is the over perscription of anti-biotics. Your kids could develop a resistance to them and make them less than effective later because of their overuse early in their lives. It's a common problem. Mom's want some medicene when they go to the Dr. Doctors are well aware of the issue.
People don't become resistant to anitbiiotics, organisms do. Physicians often times prescribe antibiotics for viral illnesses just because they realize that the patient expects them to do something. It's a terrible practice but we (the consumer) are partly to blame as well. I tell my pediatrician that I do not want anitbiotics for the kids unless she is certain that we are dealing with a bacterial infection.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Trust me, it's worth looking like an insensitive bastard. My wife (of only 2 years) was a serious hypochondriac...

That's different. You cannot compete with the maternal instinct no matter how hard you try. If she's completely out of control, that's one thing but a mother knows things about her child you can't possibly know. IMO.

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm typically a "rub some dirt on it" or "you can fix that cut with superglue" kind of guy.........but there are some things to just not mess with.

A sniffle is one thing, but sometimes its bigger. Tell the kid and wife to "walk it off" when its appropriate, but don't fiddle with thier health.

My friend's toddler had "a cold" in Nov....few days later "an ear infection"........Lukemia a week later. Buried him tuesday. Changed my outlook on some things.

Point. Spending a benjamin to keep that kid healthy is a small price.

Rain Man
If it wasn't for my mom, I'd be dead. What 3 doctors told her was nothing more than a cold turned out to be bacterial meningitis. Had she not gone to that fourth doctor- I would never have made it.

Thanks to her "freaked-out" concerns, I'm still alive and well today.

You're not looking at the big picture, though. For the money she spent, it might've been more cost-effective to write you off and have another kid who was healthier.

NewChief
I'm giving advice, but I should probably be taking my own advice.

Our kid is 6 weeks old, so I imagine I'll go through this as well. I do know that when we first got our dog (which was like our kid before the baby came), we would absolutely panic everytime something went wrong. Most times, if we would have just waited 24 hours or so, the problem would have worked itself out.

I think that is the key: don't panic. Try to let the kids natural immune system develop. Make sure the kid is living a healthy lifestyle as well (drinking plenty of OJ and fluids, not sucking down sodas).

Of course, these are all things I know. We'll see if I can practice what I preach the first time my boy comes down with something.;)

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Whenever I get married and have kids...I will only take them Billy Witch Doctor.

http://www.mcpeepants.com/frames/401videoouija/frame18.jpg

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
You're not looking at the big picture, though. For the money she spent, it might've been more cost-effective to write you off and have another kid who was healthier.
ROFL

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:17 AM
Also, pink eye is nothing to mess with. We had the crap in my family earlier this year. Passed it back and forth for almost a month. Finally, the wife sprung for the $80 (non-covered) prescription and it cleared up immediately.

htismaqe
04-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Find some literature on overmedication of children. Here (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=overmedicating+children) is a good place to start.

Make her read it. She could actually be harming your kids by always resorting to antibiotics for every little thing.

Yep.

Antibiotics are for bacterial infections ONLY. By using them to treat coughs, colds, and other viral infections, she's not only NOT curing their illness, she's leaving a void in their immune system...

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm typically a "rub some dirt on it" or "you can fix that cut with superglue" kind of guy.........but there are some things to just not mess with.

A sniffle is one thing, but sometimes its bigger. Tell the kid and wife to "walk it off" when its appropriate, but don't fiddle with thier health.

My friend's toddler had "a cold" in Nov....few days later "an ear infection"........Lukemia a week later. Buried him tuesday. Changed my outlook on some things.

Point. Spending a benjamin to keep that kid healthy is a small price.
Why did you have to go there? Now I'll have to let her do it. Damnit.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Also, pink eye is nothing to mess with. We had the crap in my family earlier this year. Passed it back and forth for almost a month. Finally, the wife sprung for the $80 (non-covered) prescription and it cleared up immediately.

If you guys would stop family bong night, the pink eye would clear right up.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Why did you have to go there? Now I'll have to let her do it. Damnit.

Which is where you need to be. Make sure she has a good understanding of when the children need medical care by supervising a couple of office visits. Then take a hands off approach. She's not spending all your money because the Doctor is hot.

Wile_E_Coyote
04-04-2005, 10:25 AM
she's banging the Doc, hope it's a woman

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:26 AM
If you guys would stop family bong night, the pink eye would clear right up.

Family bong night is an important part of our heritage. It is the whole reason we were able to raise such grounded, responsible children.

Regards,

Ozzie & Sharon

Mark M
04-04-2005, 10:27 AM

DING! DING! DING!

Let her know that she could be doing more harm than good.

MM
~~:shrug:

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm giving advice, but I should probably be taking my own advice.

Our kid is 6 weeks old, so I imagine I'll go through this as well. I do know that when we first got our dog (which was like our kid before the baby came), we would absolutely panic everytime something went wrong. Most times, if we would have just waited 24 hours or so, the problem would have worked itself out.

I think that is the key: don't panic. Try to let the kids natural immune system develop. Make sure the kid is living a healthy lifestyle as well (drinking plenty of OJ and fluids, not sucking down sodas).

Of course, these are all things I know. We'll see if I can practice what I preach the first time my boy comes down with something.;)
If you aren't there already you will soon recognize that your wife was swapped with some other woman at the hospital when you picked your kid up. Before kids I couldn't have drug my wife to a doctor with a tractor, now I can't keep her away.

As for the eating thing, you absolutely *must* feed them right if you want to keep them in line. Our kids eat right all the time (neither of them has even tasted pop) but one of my cousin's kids lives on chocolate milk. That kid is a wreck. Under weight, nervous, and it may be affecting his learning. The moral for feeding is start right and stay right, then they don't know what they're mising.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
she's banging the Doc, hope it's a woman
Both their docs have been women and I'd be cool with a threesome with either of them. But that's not the point. :)

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:30 AM
What you really need to do is wait for Morphius to weigh in on this thread. They put in a special wing in the hospital for his kid. He has an honorary doctorate, too.

He could diagnose 90% of all the planet children's ailments.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Both their docs have been women and I'd be cool with a threesome with either of them. But that's not the point. :)

OMG - that explains everything. A woman doctor? They're probably talking about new shoes for Spring.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
OMG - that explains everything. A woman doctor? They're probably talking about new shoes for Spring.
With all these doctor's visits my wife won't be able to afford new shoes. Hmmm, the silver lining I hadn't seen...

Wile_E_Coyote
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM

you worried you were getting screwed, now you can fantasize about it the rest the day...glad I could help

Earthling
04-04-2005, 10:38 AM
After about 18 years of marraige my wife and I were convinced that we would never have a child..Anyway, lo and behold, we now have a 10 yr. old beautiful daughter. Being as this is, and will remain our one and only child, my wife is particuarly keen on frequent trips to the Dr. office for any little thing that comes up with her. When I am not in agreement with her I will call the Dr. office and ask them, after describing the ailment and conditions, if this is anything I should be concerned about. Many times they will tell me just to monitor her and not to worry unless her condition gets worse. This has saved a lot of office calls.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 10:41 AM
After about 18 years of marraige my wife and I were convinced that we would never have a child..Anyway, lo and behold, we now have a 10 yr. old beautiful daughter. Being as this is, and will remain our one and only child, my wife is particuarly keen on frequent trips to the Dr. office for any little thing that comes up with her. When I am not in agreement with her I will call the Dr. office and ask them, after describing the ailment and conditions, if this is anything I should be concerned about. Many times they will tell me just to monitor her and not to worry unless her condition gets worse. This has saved a lot of office calls.

That's good advice.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
When I am not in agreement with her I will call the Dr. office and ask them, after describing the ailment and conditions, if this is anything I should be concerned about. Many times they will tell me just to monitor her and not to worry unless her condition gets worse. This has saved a lot of office calls.
We do this already, I think our doctor may be afraid to say "it's cool, don't come in" just in case it is something evil. They would rather take my money (again) than potentially have me sue their asses off. Probably not a bad business decision on their part.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Antibiotics are terrible for you.

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 10:51 AM
..but good at killing infections.

If they're prescribed.....make sure they take the entire bottle as prescribed, so it doesn't become a resistant strain.

Earthling
04-04-2005, 10:54 AM
We do this already, I think our doctor may be afraid to say "it's cool, don't come in" just in case it is something evil. They would rather take my money (again) than potentially have me sue their asses off. Probably not a bad business decision on their part.

That sucks...Its probably an advantage I get for living in a smaller city.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Antibiotics are terrible for you.
Yet they can save your life if used correctly. When used incorrectly we end up with multi-drug resistant bacteria such as tuberculosis. You should see someone battling that if you think antibiotics are bad for you.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 11:00 AM
..but good at killing infections.

If they're prescribed.....make sure they take the entire bottle as prescribed, so it doesn't become a resistant strain.

Make sure you go on probiotics for a long time after your through with the bottle.

The only time I ever go on anitbiotics is if I absolutely have to. I try to stay away from as many drugs and prescriptions as humanly possible.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Make sure you go on probiotics for a long time after your through with the bottle.

The only time I ever go on anitbiotics is if I absolutely have to. I try to stay away from as many drugs and prescriptions as humanly possible.
That's my approach. If it isn't going to kill me it'll only make me stronger.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Yet they can save your life if used correctly. When used incorrectly we end up with multi-drug resistant bacteria such as tuberculosis. You should see someone battling that if you think antibiotics are bad for you.

I am saying that they should be taken only when absolutely necessary and should be followed up with a steady diet of probiotics.

redsurfer11
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Maybe some of you more experienced husbands can help me out here. I have two kids, one is 3 and the other one is 1. Here's my problem:

Every time she or one of the kids gets a sniffle or a cough it's off to the doctor. Got a sore throat from nasal drainage because of a cold? Must need antibiotics. Never mind the fact that *if* they help it will be because of a placebo effect, just buy 'em!

My 3 year old's eye is a little red (I can't see it); must be pink eye! Two medications available? Why, the one that is more expensive and isn't covered by our insurance is the one *we* need!

Wife has a cracked tooth, better have a root canal followed by a crown. Of course that doesn't cure the crack and when the tooth breaks they'll have to pull it, but no matter, we'll just pay for that procedure when it comes, too!

------------------------------------

You are being a dumbass. Serious problems could arrise by waiting it out. Deadly infections could take hold and you'll be sitting over your child in the hospital for weeks. Then you'll be here on the board asking for prayers for your child, as they hover near death. Been there years ago with my daughter.
So WTF do I do to get her to calm the hell down and let it ride out? As if writing the checks isn't bad enough I work for myself and my office is in the basement so she's constantly leaving the house for these appointments and leaving me with one or both of the kids, so it's that much less time I get to spend billing.

:cuss: Friggin' women.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 11:08 AM
...The only time I ever go on anitbiotics is if I absolutely have to. I try to stay away from as many drugs and prescriptions as humanly possible.

Why?

I know some of the reasoning....but curious as to your take...

What about roids and HGH??? :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Why?

I know some of the reasoning....but curious as to your take...

What about roids and HGH??? :hmmm:

First of all you know I don't take roids or HGH, HGH is very expensive. Furthermore HGH is a substance that is already being produced by your body and can used in anti-ageing if you got the big buck. It's usually mixed with a steroid (testosterone) which is also in your body. You will see these anti-ageing clinics in America before long, they are already in Europe and have been for some time now.

As far as antibiotics are concerned biotics means life. When you take antibiotics you are killing all bacteria in you, the good bacteria and the bad bacteria. When you come off it the bad bacteria start to colonize in your system and become very strong. They are in direct competition with your good bacteria. This can cause disease and bad health. That's why it is imperative that you take probiotics for a month or so after coming off of antibiotics. Eat a lot of yogurt too as there is a lot of good bacteria in that as well.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Eat a lot of yogurt too as there is a lot of good bacteria in that as well.
Anyone remember the Snackwell's chocolate yogurts? Those were AWESOME. I haven't seen those forever, it was the only yogurt I ever enjoyed...

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 11:52 AM
First of all you know I don't take roids or HGH, HGH is very expensive. Furthermore HGH is a substance that is already being produced by your body and can used in anti-ageing if you got the big buck. It's usually mixed with a steroid (testosterone) which is also in your body. You will see these anti-ageing clinics in America before long, they are already in Europe and have been for some time now.

As far as antibiotics are concerned biotics means life. When you take antibiotics you are killing all bacteria in you, the good bacteria and the bad bacteria. When you come off it the bad bacteria start to colonize in your system and become very strong. They are in direct competition with your good bacteria. This can cause disease and bad health. That's why it is imperative that you take probiotics for a month or so after coming off of antibiotics. Eat a lot of yogurt too as there is a lot of good bacteria in that as well.

I wasn't accusing YOU at all; just many so-called health conscious individuals I know seem to make a distinction...

As for anti-biotics, I'm no doctor so I don't know....but I thought anti-biotics targeted specific bad germs, or at least families of bad germs. It's news to me if they destroy all germs, as you say, "When you take antibiotics you are killing all bacteria in you, the good bacteria and the bad bacteria." I'm not saying you are wrong, that's just not my recollection.... :hmmm:

Any medical types know???

morphius
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Yup, last time I thought it was stupid to take my son in was the first time he had pnemonia, I went along with it anyway. Pretty glad that I did...

With RSV and some of the other breathing issues kids can run into, plus their inability to dexcribe things as well as they need makes it hard to tell what is going on with them. Its sucks, but hey, its supposed to get better...

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I wasn't accusing YOU at all; just many so-called health conscious individuals I know seem to make a distinction...

As for anti-biotics, I'm no doctor so I don't know....but I thought anti-biotics targeted specific bad germs, or at least families of bad germs. It's news to me if they destroy all germs, as you say, "When you take antibiotics you are killing all bacteria in you, the good bacteria and the bad bacteria." I'm not saying you are wrong, that's just not my recollection.... :hmmm:

I just told you, I know this like the back of my hand I'm not talking smack. Who do you think I am getting the information from Doctor ****ing Doo Little? My dad has a group of friends that have more money than anyone ever needs. They all go see the same group of doctors who have done some pretty miraculous things with their health. They wrote a book about general health and I would highly reccommend it to anyone who gives a rats ass about taking control of the basics when dealing with one's own health.

http://www.ultraprevention.com/book/excerpts.htm

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I just told you, I know this like the back of my hand I'm not talking smack. Who do you think I am getting the information from Doctor ****ing Doo Little? My dad has a group of friends that have more money than anyone ever needs. They all go see the same group of doctors who have done some pretty miraculous things with their health. They wrote a book about general health and I would highly reccommend it to anyone who gives a rats ass about taking control of the basics when dealing with one's own health.

http://www.ultraprevention.com/book/excerpts.htm

Thanks for the link.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 12:11 PM

Antibiotics definitely wipe out the "good" bacteria as well. It's a well known practice to eat a bunch of yogurt after taking a round of antibiotics to replenish the acidophilus cultures in your digestive tract. Read all about it here:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T045700.asp

5. Yogurt aids healing after intestinal infections. Some viral and allergic gastrointestinal disorders injure the lining of the intestines, especially the cells that produce lactase. This results in temporary lactose malabsorption problems. This is why children often cannot tolerate milk for a month or two after an intestinal infection. Yogurt, however, because it contains less lactose and more lactase, is usually well-tolerated by healing intestines and is a popular "healing food" for diarrhea. Many pediatricians recommend yogurt for children suffering from various forms of indigestion. Research shows that children recover faster from diarrhea when eating yogurt. It's good to eat yogurt while taking antibiotics. The yogurt will minimize the effects of the antibiotic on the friendly bacteria in the intestines.

NUTRITIP: A Chaser for Antibiotics

Antibiotics kill not only harmful bacteria; they also kill the healthy ones in the intestines. The live bacterial cultures in yogurt can help replenish the intestines with helpful bacteria before the harmful ones take over. I usually "prescribe" a daily dose of yogurt while a person is taking antibiotics and for two weeks thereafter.

A 1999 study reported in Pediatrics showed that lactobacillus organisms can reduce antibiotic-associated diarrhea.

I totally agre with you about "health conscious individuals." I know people that eat nothing but organic, macrobiotic diets to maintain their health. Meanwhile they smoke pot like a chimney.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Antibiotics definitely wipe out the "good" bacteria as well. It's a well known practice to eat a bunch of yogurt after taking a round of antibiotics to replenish the acidophilus cultures in your digestive tract. Read all about it here:

I totally agre with you about "health conscious individuals." I know people that eat nothing but organic, macrobiotic diets to maintain their health. Meanwhile they smoke pot like a chimney.

So many people just listen to their drug pusher.... uh I mean doctor and take absolutely no responsibility for their their own health. I ahve seen my dad and his buddies and they are in unbelievable health for their age. Pops os 70 and in better shape and has better health than men 20 younger than him. You can't make life changes all at once but you sure can make them one at a time. That's the best way to go about it.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 12:26 PM
So many people just listen to their drug pusher.... uh I mean doctor and take absolutely no responsibility for their their own health. I ahve seen my dad and his buddies and they are in unbelievable health for their age. Pops os 70 and in better shape and has better health than men 20 younger than him. You can't make life changes all at once but you sure can make them one at a time. That's the best way to go about it.
I don't think this is the message I've gotten from reading the thread. I think a lot of folks pay attention to their health, they just aren't as militant about medicine as you are.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't think this is the message I've gotten from reading the thread. I think a lot of folks pay attention to their health, they just aren't as militant about medicine as you are.

You seem to want to argue any time I point out basic health issues. On the contrary I would say most people's diet is probably not very good with many being terrible. I would also say that most people don't know about the serious side effects of antibiotics because their doctor never tells them. This isn't being militant at all, it's basic common sence. There are other issues we haven't even touched on like maintaining correct PH for optimum health. No, I would say there are not a whole lot of posters here paying anywhere near the attention to their health that I do but if it makes you feel better to say I'm militant because I post on something as basic and obvious as the side effects of antibiotics knock yourself out.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 12:42 PM
You seem to want to argue any time I point out basic health issues. On the contrary I would say most people's diet is probably not very good with many being terrible. I would also say that most people don't know about the serious side effects of antibiotics because their doctor never tells them. This isn't being militant at all, it's basic common sence. There are other issues we haven't even touched on like maintaining correct PH for optimum health. No, I would say there are not a whole lot of posters here paying anywhere near the attention to their health that I do but if it makes you feel better to say I'm militant because I post on something as basic and obvious as the side effects of antibiotics knock yourself out.
I suppose I've just never understood your facination with telling us how stupid we are because we use vaccines or because we might utilize other drugs such as an anti-biotic to cure an infection. I recognize that we are all entitled to our opinions and I certainly don't begrudge you because of yours. I do, however, have issues when you try to interject your opinions as absolutes. That being said I do respect you and am certainly not trying to pick a fight.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I take acidophilus along with my daily vitamin regime.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I suppose I've just never understood your facination with telling us how stupid we are because we use vaccines or because we might utilize other drugs such as an anti-biotic to cure an infection. I recognize that we are all entitled to our opinions and I certainly don't begrudge you because of yours. I do, however, have issues when you try to interject your opinions as absolutes. That being said I do respect you and am certainly not trying to pick a fight.

I point out things like the mercury level of vaccines for kids and the side effects of antibiotics because I care about you guys not because I am trying to be a wise ass. It's not my opinion either it's what many medical experts say. I just post to inform. It's up to you whether you want to do your due diligence on the subject or not. If you don't give a **** either do I.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Holy smokes. Do they rule you with an iron fist?

Not THAT kinda "regime"....heh.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Now Kotter, you know that we don't go any further than the 1st meaning found on dictionary.com around here. You're not allowed to use any of these new-fangled PC-assigned definitions of words.;)

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 12:53 PM
So Endelt will quit jacking with you - the word I believe you were looking for was "regimen".

Actually, I think the word must have been "specimen" or something.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Why the f*ck you wanna destroy my entertainment? What do you expect me to do all day? Work?
Sorry, my bad.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Why the f*ck you wanna destroy my entertainment? What do you expect me to do all day? Work?

Though it pains me to side with Kotter, especially on a matter of dictionary definitions, regimen and regime are pretty much interchangeable.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I point out things like the mercury level of vaccines for kids and the side effects of antibiotics because I care about you guys not because I am trying to be a wise ass. It's not my opinion either it's what many medical experts say. I just post to inform. It's up to you whether you want to do your due diligence on the subject or not. If you don't give a **** either do I.
Nothing I have ever said should lead you to believe that I don't care about these issues. I'm a public health worker afterall and I have two small children. I am also an active participant in all of their healthcare decisions. I've fired a pedicatrician because I was not satisfied with the level of care he was delivering. To suggest that I didn't do my due diligence is just plain silly and another example of you suggesting that we are idiots if we don't buy into your opinion. The opinions you espouse are just that, opinions. Just as many experts can and will demonstrate the vast societal benefits of the very technologies that you cite as toxic. Once again I will say that you are entitled to your opinions and I know that you have many medical experts that agree with you. That being said, if I choose to disagree it is most likely also based on science and on the testimony of experts. My opinion does not make me an idiot nor does it make me ill-informed.

Simplex3
04-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Though it pains me to side with Kotter, especially on a matter of dictionary definitions, regimen and regime are pretty much interchangeable.
Not really. One causes a long string of insane posts from Endelt and the other doesn't.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Not really. One causes a long string of insane posts from Endelt and the other doesn't.

Insane or inane?

;)

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 01:15 PM

Regime = "routine"....as a secondary definition, as far as I can tell.

So is regimen... :shrug:

:p

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 01:15 PM
Insane or inane?

;)

Both. :p

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 01:37 PM
ROFL ROFL

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Nothing I have ever said should lead you to believe that I don't care about these issues. I'm a public health worker afterall and I have two small children. I am also an active participant in all of their healthcare decisions. I've fired a pedicatrician because I was not satisfied with the level of care he was delivering. To suggest that I didn't do my due diligence is just plain silly and another example of you suggesting that we are idiots if we don't buy into your opinion.

You just want to argue. This is what I said:

It's up to you whether you want to do your due diligence on the subject or not.

Please explain to me WTF firing your pediatrician has to do with doing your due diligence on high level mercury intake in infants or the side effects of antibiotics? As far as you questioning your doctor good, most people do not.

The opinions you espouse are just that, opinions. Just as many experts can and will demonstrate the vast societal benefits of the very technologies that you cite as toxic. Once again I will say that you are entitled to your opinions and I know that you have many medical experts that agree with you. That being said, if I choose to disagree it is most likely also based on science and on the testimony of experts. My opinion does not make me an idiot nor does it make me ill-informed.

OK show me the medical experts that say there are no side effects to taking antibiotics or having high levels of mercury injected into babies. I also never said there were not benefits to certain vaccines or antibiotics. Obviously there are times you need to take them but you should replace the good bacteria in your system when taking antibiotics.

Show me where I refered to you as an idiot and ill-informed. Any time I try to put out any information I think is informative you come in and talk smack, misquote me, lead people to believe I think they are all idiots and on and on and on and on. I have no friggen idea why you do this. It has nothing to do with the subject and is a giant diversion. All I said when I started this was that antibiotics are bad for you and I only take them when I really need them . I stated the side effect being that they kill the good bacteria too and you need to replace it when you come off. If you had stuck to the subject you would have shown me where doctors have said that isn't the case. You even admit many medical experts agree with me. Please stay on the subject and show me where ANY doctor has said there are no side effects to taking antibiotics or that there is no need to supplement with probiotics.

You are the only one here who has ever taken what I posted in the area of health the wrong way. Maybe you should take a long look in the mirror as to why you do that before you post a bunch of smack.

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 01:43 PM
You just want to argue. This is what I said:

Please explain to me WTF firing your pediatrician has to do with doing your due diligence on high level mercury intake in infants or the side effects of antibiotics? As far as you questioning your doctor good, most people do not.

OK show me the medical experts that say there are no side effects to taking antibiotics or having high levels of mercury injected into babies. I also never said there were not benefits to certain vaccines or antibiotics. Obviously there are times you need to take them but you should replace the good bacteria in your system when you do.

Show me where I refered to you as an idiot and ill-informed. Any time I try to put out any information I think is informative you come in and talk smack, misquote me, lead people to believe I think they are all idiots and on and on and on and on. I have no friggen idea why you do this. It has nothing to do with the subject and is a giant diversion. All I said when I started this was that antibiotics are bad for you and I only take them when I really need them . I stated the side effect being that they kill the good bacteria too and you need to replace it when you come off. If you had stuck to the subject you would have shown me where doctors have said that isn't the case. You even admit many medical experts agree with me. Please stay on the subject and show me where ANY doctor has said there are no side effects to taking antibiotics or that there is no need to supplement with probiotics.

You are the only one here who has ever taken what I posted in the area of health the wrong way. Maybe you should take a long look in the mirror as to why you do that before you post a bunch of smack.
You really need to lighten up man. I'm sorry that my disagreeing with you threatens you so much.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Big_Daddy is officially the most defensive poster on this whole board.

I have declared it so on this day April 4th in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Five.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 01:54 PM
You really need to lighten up man. I'm sorry that my disagreeing with you threatens you so much.

Another nice diversion. Me lighten up, your the one attacking, talking smack and misquoting me. I answered all your questions. You simply divert when I ask you the main question regarding the subject. Show me where any medical expert has said there are no side effects of injecting high doses of mercury in infants or that there are no side effects to taking antibiotics. It's really simple.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Big_Daddy is officially the most defensive poster on this whole board.

I have declared it so on this day April 4th in the year of our Lord Two Thousand Five.

Yea I know I'm a really sensitive guy. ROFL

Good god it would be nice to get a straight answer out of this guy instead of a bunch of smack though.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Yea I know I'm a really sensitive guy. ROFL

Good god it would be nice to get a straight answer out of this guy instead of a bunch of smack though.
Acutally I said defensive.

It would be nice to see you to be able to post like a big boy just once when someone disagress with you just a little bit. I would be amazed and shocked.

At no point could Jim's posts be considered smack unless someone is really defensive like yourself... :hmmm:

JimNasium
04-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Another nice diversion. Me lighten up, your the one attacking, talking smack and misquoting me. I answerd all your questions. You simply divert when I ask you the main question regardign the subject. Show me where any medical expert has said there are no side effects of injecting high doses of mercury in infants or that there are no side effects to taking antibiotics. It's really simple. I don't think I ever did anything resembling smack. I can find you plenty of studies that do not conclusively link mercury based preservatives with conditions like autism. I also never argued the point that there were some negative side-effects of taking anti-biotics. In fact, if you will take time to read the thread you will see that I warn against the use of unwarranted anti-biotics. I simply have trouble with your initial stance which went like thisAntibiotics are terrible for you. I wanted to point out that the benefits far exceed the costs if they are warranted. The same applies to vaccines. You think they are terrible and I would simply point out that the benefits far outweigh the costs. If you think someone who disagrees with you is simply talking smack then you have some real issues that you need to work through.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:03 PM
If you think someone who disagrees with you is simply talking smack then you have some real issues that you need to work through.
Common sense on Chiefs Planet.

*shudders*

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Acutally I said defensive.

It would be nice to see you to be able to post like a big boy just once when someone disagress with you just a little bit. I would be amazed and shocked.

At no point could Jim's posts be considered smack unless someone is really defensive like yourself... :hmmm:

You have really become a dick lately dude. I am not sure what your issue is either. Here are couple nice tidbits I am more than sure you will ignore.

He said I refered to him as an idiot and ill informed, show me where I did that? I suppose blatently lying isn't smack talk to you.

He said I had a fascination with telling everybody on the BB how stupid they are and I never did that either. I know that complete lie isn't smack talk to you either.

If there is one fascination around here lately it's you trying to refer to me as sensitive. This is just the most recent case where you like labeling me as that just because I point out when someone is talking smack. Whatever Zach, call me whatever you want. It would be nice if you actually brought something to a conversation every once in awhile.

Mr. Kotter
04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm still gonna spend the rest of the day chuckling about the B-12 dynasty.

Actually, it's a C-E-A-B-Multivitamin dynasty, if you insist.... :harumph:

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
You have really become a dick lately dude. I am not sure what your issue is either. Here are couple nice tidbits I am more than sure you will ignore.

:deevee: :deevee:

He said I refered to him as an idiot and ill informed, show me where I did that? I suppose blatently lying isn't smack talk to you.

Heh, you don't have to say something outright to convey it...like for example. At no point in this thread have I called you sensitive. I have called you defensive but you believe they go hand in hand because it was conveyed on my end. Seems like that is how things have gone here.

He said I had a fascination with telling everybody on the BB how stupid they are and I never did that either. I know that complete lie isn't smack talk to you either.

You do it all the time....seriously...

All the time...

If there is one fascination around here lately it's you trying to refer to me as sensitive. This is just the most recent case where you like labeling me as that just because I point out when someone is talking smack. Whatever Zach, call me whatever you want.

Again, anyone can look at Jim's posts...if they think it is "smack" then they are way to defensive.

Being defensive is not to big of deal...might as well own it.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Heh, you don't have to say something outright to convey it...like for example. At no point in this thread have I called you sensitive. I have called you defensive but you believe they go hand in hand because it was conveyed on my end. Seems like that is how things have gone here.

You do it all the time....seriously...

All the time...

Again, anyone can look at Jim's posts...if they think it is "smack" then they are way to defensive.

Being defensive is not to big of deal...might as well own it.

The last time you brought nothing to the conversation you said I was defensive and that made me sensitive. All you do anymore when you post to me is try to be an irritant, it's pointless and quite frankly very boring. Now I suppose what you want to talk about the finer points on whether somebody lying about you is smack talk, whatever. Like I said the last time you posted to me, conversations with you go nowhere. They are a giant waste of time and that's why I quit talking to you and go do something else.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 02:41 PM
The last time you brought nothing to the conversation you said I was defensive and that made me sensitive. All you do anymore when you post to me is try to be an irritant, it's pointless and quite frankly very boring. Now I suppose what you want to talk about the finer points on whether somebody lying about you is smack talk, whatever. Like I said the last time you posted to me, conversations with you go nowhere. They are a giant waste of time and that's why I quit talking to you and go do something else.
Diversion? What?

Yes, this "I am not talking to you\I don't care what you say tripe" worked well for you 5 threads ago.

Maybe I should let this go...I should just let you make drama queen threads while denoucning drama queens...I should just let you post threads speaking against people using the victim card while you use in the very same thread.

What I brought to this conversation was the idea that was obvious; which was what Jim was posting was very far from smack...

ROFL

I love Chiefs Planet.

On a side note...My Morning Jacket is on the radio.

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Diversion? What?

Yes, this "I am not talking to you\I don't care what you say tripe" worked well for you 5 threads ago.

Maybe I should let this go...I should just let you make drama queen threads while denoucning drama queens...I should just let you post threads speaking against people using the victim card while you use in the very same thread.

What I brought to this conversation was the idea that was obvious; which was what Jim was posting was very far from smack...

ROFL

I love Chiefs Planet.

All you have done is follow me around and try to piss me off adding nothing to any thread your posting in. Now you post some BS about how I am playing the victim card just because I point out when somebody lies about me. Whatever dude, go waste somebody else's time. If you insist on going to threads I am in and acting like a retard by talking about nothing but me though I'll just put you on ignore. It's really getting old.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 04:28 PM

Probably my favorite "new" band to come out in the last five years. I really dig those guys. They were supposed to play a free show at a friend's birthday party when they played Denver a few years ago, but they ended up having to back out. It was going to be in my friend's backyard. I was pissed that it didn't come together.

KCWolfman
04-04-2005, 05:06 PM
Just tell her the more antiobiotics she pumps down your kids, the less effective they become.

Boozer
04-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Don't ask me. My mom was so against taking us kids to the doctor I hobbled around on a broken ankle for three days before getting a cast. I'm also pretty sure I've weathered multiple cases of strep.

KCWolfman
04-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Don't ask me. My mom was so against taking us kids to the doctor I hobbled around on a broken ankle for three days before getting a cast. I'm also pretty sure I've weathered multiple cases of strep.
I learned butterfly stitching from my dad because they were too poor to take us to the Emergency Department.

Boozer
04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I learned butterfly stitching from my dad because they were too poor to take us to the Emergency Department.

I don't think it was because we were poor; I just think my mom wanted to build character.

Either that or she didn't like me.

|Zach|
04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Either that or she didn't like me.
Why would she?

Maybe she knew you were gonna be a lawyer or something from the start.

Hammock Parties
04-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I can't even remember the last time I went to a doctor. I've been to the dentist more in the last five years.

I'm invincible!

Boozer
04-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I know which one I'm leaning towards.

Her little plan will blow up in her face when you pass the bar and sue her for emotional distress, though.

Eh, I've already looked into that. Just like Phil's $16,000, I have major statute of limitations problems.

NewChief
04-04-2005, 06:42 PM

ROFL

That sounds just like my dad. We built a pole vaulting pit in our back yard when my oldest bro was in high school, so he could practice his event. The "pit" was filled with chopped up egg crates as a landing cushion. Long story short, he comes in the house and tells dad that he thinks he broke his arm. My dad tells him to tough it out and get back to practicing. So he does. He goes to a track meet the next day, and the coach tells him that he thinks his arm is broken. They have it X-rayed, and it was.

The worst part: my dad is a freaking dentist. Pretty embarassing to be a health care professional and the track coach has to diagnose your son's broken arm.

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Oh Yeah.........the summer before my freshman year, a minivan drove over my right ankle...Blood blister tire tread marks 1/2" tall. Swollen the size of a soccer ball.......

My dad scolded me for cussing as I hopped around in the road and dug gravel out of the inside of the leg.

I didn't go to the doc for a day.

Iowanian
04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
I'd hate to get back on track, and I'm in no way trying to pile on BD...he knows my opinions.

Alot of People died prior to WWII for common infections, strep throat, pnemonia et al. The invention of Anti-biotics is THE difference.

Polio is running rampant in the US these days....Oh wait...Not since Vaccinations began.

Dyptheria, tetnenis, Pertusis, Ruebella, Mumps, Measels too.

I completely agree that Docs prescribe too much medicine...but Brideowanian says its Pain killers that are the problem....antibiotics are often prescribed when not needed, but to say Anti-biotics are "bad" is wrong, IMO.

Newchief.........You're eating that Yogurt because it contains acidofolis to prevent you getting a yeast infection.

Skip Towne
04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I haven't read any of this thread. My dad was a doctor in a small Kansas town. So I know a little about it. And, I haven't been to a doctor in 40 years. I love it when a flu epidemic hits and everybody runs to the doctor. Here's a News Flash, doctors can't cure the flu. The old adage is go to the doctor and get a shot and you'll be well in two weeks. Or do nothing and let your body fight it off and you'll be well in 14 days. I was taught in a psychology course many moons ago that something like 75% of the hospital beds are occupied by people who shouldn't be there. I agree with the threads author that his family is probably over using the family doctor. But you'll never hear that from the doctor. If everyone used doctors the way I do there would only be 3 doctors in the entire coountry.

badgirl
04-04-2005, 10:43 PM
How sick you are depends on how much insurance you got, you can be on your death bed with no insurance, the docs will tell you to go home and take tylenol.

If a person with insurance went in with the same problem they would probably be admitted and all kinds of tests run and go home with a handful of prescriptions and need follow ups for their condition.

mcan
04-04-2005, 10:53 PM
I think it's important that you tell your wife the dangers of over medicating. Especially when the doctors use antibiotics or cortico steroids like Prednisone. Both will eventually kill your immune system. Corticos do it by directly lessening your immuno response, and antibiotics do it by telling your body to quit making it's own antibodies. Not only that, but the "super-flus" that are going around over the last couple years are caused solely from people taking antibiotics when they aren't needed. The virus mutates, and becomes immune to the artificial antibodies, and the flu spreads faster and faster. In the meantime, your body is shutting down.

I believe that we are severely over medicated. It sounds like your wife needs to educate herself or run this very real risk: thinking you are sicker than you are will only lead to more sickness. When the severe illnesses finally come around, you won't be able to fight them off. Same goes for your kids. Right now, they should have extremely high tolerance for sickness, and strong immune systems (as long as they aren't babies). Why do you think that kindergarten teachers get sick all the time? It's because those kids are carrying around very strong viruses and never wash their hands. But the kids don't get sick, the teachers do! However, if you give your kids a bunch of medicine needlessly, you will ruin them too... Put your foot down, for their sake.

mcan
04-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Don't listen to mcan. He's really a history major.

Worse... Theatre major. But I have a little passion for health. But thanks for the faith in my ENd... :rolleyes:

mcan
04-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Haha... I was just f*ckin' with ya. From the content of your post I thought you were studyin' something in the field. I honestly had no idea what your major was.

It's cool. I do a lot of research into the pitfalls of the modern health industry for a simple theatre major (acting emphasis)...

BIG_DADDY
04-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I think it's important that you tell your wife the dangers of over medicating. Especially when the doctors use antibiotics or cortico steroids like Prednisone. Both will eventually kill your immune system. Corticos do it by directly lessening your immuno response, and antibiotics do it by telling your body to quit making it's own antibodies. Not only that, but the "super-flus" that are going around over the last couple years are caused solely from people taking antibiotics when they aren't needed. The virus mutates, and becomes immune to the artificial antibodies, and the flu spreads faster and faster. In the meantime, your body is shutting down.

I believe that we are severely over medicated. It sounds like your wife needs to educate herself or run this very real risk: thinking you are sicker than you are will only lead to more sickness. When the severe illnesses finally come around, you won't be able to fight them off. Same goes for your kids. Right now, they should have extremely high tolerance for sickness, and strong immune systems (as long as they aren't babies). Why do you think that kindergarten teachers get sick all the time? It's because those kids are carrying around very strong viruses and never wash their hands. But the kids don't get sick, the teachers do! However, if you give your kids a bunch of medicine needlessly, you will ruin them too... Put your foot down, for their sake.

Thank you for a great post, nice avatar too.

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 05:31 AM
UPDATE:

I tallked her into NOT buying the prescription for this latest "pink eye" she self-diagnosed and the kid was 100% cleared up this morning. She was probably just tired from having spent the night at Grandma's the night before her "disease". Wife and I talked about it for a while and she seemed cool with it.

Of course they all seem cool until the next time, huh? :deevee: :banghead:

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 10:06 AM
Worse... Theatre major. But I have a little passion for health. But thanks for the faith in my ENd... :rolleyes:

Tread Cautiously End.........mcan probably knows some Mimes he could send over to shout in your general direction.

mcan
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Tread Cautiously End.........mcan probably knows some Mimes he could send over to shout in your general direction.

I don't know any mimes, per say... But I could get a friend of mine to dress up like Kool-Aid, and crash through your living room!

http://www.strangecult.com/pisser/koolaid/km_picture_new.jpg
OH YEAH!

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 10:49 AM
Don't send Dense to my house!

Worse yet...........you could tape some leaves to your fingers, stand on the street corner and act like a tree. trees are scary.

mcan
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Don't send Dense to my house!

Worse yet...........you could tape some leaves to your fingers, stand on the street corner and act like a tree. trees are scary.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooterj5/tree.jpg
Damned straight we are...