PDA

View Full Version : Guys CArlos Rodgers isn't the answer

chiefscafan
04-04-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't like us drafting carlos rodgers until this year he didn't do anything. I m a Bama Fan and although i hate Auburn i have seen games over the years. I will admit Campbel the qb is good same with Cadilac, and Brown. Carlos is a spoiled brat he is one of those prima dona players who only shows up when he feels like it. Futhermore he doesn't show up in the big games we have enough of these players allready. We need a playmaker out there we got two this offseason let's add one more.

this is just my 2 cents feel free to respond.

DRAFT LB POLLACK FROM GEORGIA HE'S A BEAST

Gravedigger
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Well yeah I'd love to have pac man or antrel rolle but they won't be around long enough unfortunately.

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Carlos Rogers
School: Auburn
Position: Cornerback
Class: Senior
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 196lbs
Birthday: 7/2/81
40 Time: 4.35

Rogers was named to the preseason watch list for the Thorpe Award. Experienced corner who has played in 36 games with career stats of 97 tackles, 35 pass breakups and 5 interceptions. Rogers has good physical size and speed to match up with the bigger receivers he will face in the NFL.

Kyle401
04-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Well yeah I'd love to have pac man or antrel rolle but they won't be around long enough unfortunately.

You must have one of those decoder rings... What does it say?

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Posted 12/29/2004 5:01 PM Updated 12/29/2004 8:00 PM

Rogers' neighborhood sees unhappy visitors

By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

Auburn's advance to the Sugar Bowl might have begun when running backs Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown decided to come back for their senior year instead of opting for the NFL draft.
But odds are the Tigers would never have completed their 12-0, Southeastern Conference championship run had not cornerback Carlos Rogers also decided to return for his final season.

Rogers is the fulcrum of an Auburn defense that has grown into one of the most dominant in the nation. The Tigers rank first in scoring (11.2-point average), fifth in total yards (269.5), eighth in passing yards (163) and 16th in rushing (106.5).

This all works off Rogers, a 6-1, 200-pound senior who won the Jim Thorpe Award as this year's top defensive back. His cover skills are so refined most opponents throw away from his side of the field and challenge him only under duress.

"You know you're going to face teams with great wide receivers during a season, and Carlos takes them out of the game," senior defensive end Bret Eddins says. "He just shuts down one side of the field."

Rogers is a four-year starter who considered ending his college career last spring and offering himself up for the draft. But after talking with defensive co-coordinator Gene Chizik and coach Tommy Tuberville, he came back.

"It was tough at first, but looking at my team and the guys we had, I thought we had the talent to do something special this year," Rogers says. "I also wanted to earn more recognition."

Rogers has done that. In addition to winning the Thorpe Award and earning consensus All-America honors, he was a finalist for the Bronco Nagurski Award and a semifinalist for the Chuck Bednarik Award, both given to the nation's premier defensive player.

None of this surprises Chizik.

"You never want to stand between a player and the chance to reach the top of his profession, and we felt Carlos really had a great NFL career ahead of him," Chizik says.

"But we felt if he stayed another year he would really improve and be able to take his game up another level."

Rogers was seventh on the team in tackles (41) and third among Tigers defensive backs, but those numbers are deceiving. In 2004 only 65 of 329 passes were thrown in his area and only 20% of those attempts were completed.

Last year being constantly avoided drove Rogers crazy. He would jump up and down and wave his hands trying to attract the eye of the opposing quarterbacks, who would simply look the other way.

Rogers found a way to combat that frustration this season with Chizik's encouragement: special teams. Rogers participates in virtually every phase of Auburn's kick coverage and kick returns.

"Early on I griped about (playing on special teams), but now I love it," Rogers says. "I have a chance to put myself out there and get something done to create field position for us, and that's really important."

Rogers is part of the kickoff coverage team and is the team's "gunner" on punt coverage — the first man downfield. He also defends the other team's top punt coverage man.

"We mapped out a plan for things Carlos could do better this season," Chizik says. "We talked about making plays and defending the run better and not just being a dominant cover guy. And we were in agreement that special teams was where he could be a difference maker, and he has been."

Rogers epitomizes Chizik's philosophy of being aggressive but flexible and adaptable. The players around Rogers have played to the same tune.

Senior safety Junior Rosegreen, freshman end Stanley McClover and junior noseguard Tommy Jackson were first-team all-SEC picks. Junior linebacker Travis Williams led the team with 76 tackles. Senior Bret Eddins provided experience on the line.

"I thought we were talented but we needed game experience. How would we evolve was the question," Chizik says. "This defense didn't get the hype or the attention, but it built continuity and it achieved as the season went on."

Rogers is looking at the Sugar Bowl as his last chance to play with a group that has become part of Auburn football history.

"This is the closest chemistry we've ever had as far as everybody being selfless," he says. "We have hung together and really done some great things. I'm glad I came back. It was definitely the right decision."

Mr. Laz
04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
June 14, 2004
117 Players You Should Know in 2004

Auburn CB Carlos Rogers

Writeup by Pete Fiutak

Who is Carlos Rogers? ... Auburn needs new stars on defense. The offense is fine with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown leading the way, but the Tigers suffered some big hits on the other side with Dontarrious Thomas, Karlos Dansby, DeMarco McNeil, Reggie Torbor and Spencer Johnson all off to the NFL. Several new players need to step up and take over the leadership and production role. DE Bret Eddins is an unnoticed All-SEC caliber player in the making, LB Travis Williams will finally get the spotlight, and SS Junior Rosegreen is one of the SEC's surest tackling defensive backs. CB Carlos Rogers is the star of the show.

The senior chose to come back for one more year to try and boost his overall stock and Tiger fans couldn't be happier. Rogers has started 31 games over the last few years showing everything an NFL scout could want to see. He's a sure tackler making 135 career stops, a great pass defender with 30 broken up passes and five interceptions, and he can stick to an NFL receiver like glue keeping Wisconsin's Lee Evans in check in last year's Motor City Bowl. On top of everything he proved over the last three years, he showed his toughness last season toughing it out with a broken hand.

He has the all-around talent to be one of the nation's best cornerbacks, now all he needs is a little more publicity and some more award voters paying attention. If not, that's O.K. He'll have time to worry about it next year when he's counting his millions.
Rogers' best game so far was ... in last year's 28-21 win over Tennessee. Rogers has had bigger statistical games, but he hasn't made a bigger play than he did against the Volunteers snuffing out a final drive with a diving interception to seal the win. He made four tackles and broke up two passes to go along with his only interception of the year.

Why you should care about Carlos Rogers ... It will be his job to take away one side of the field locking down on everyone's number one receiver. If he does everything right, the rest of the defense, especially the safeties, can concentrate more on the run helping out until the front seven starts to jell. His pass defending stats might not be there with teams staying away from him.

Positives about Rogers ... He can do it all from making the big hit to locking down one-on-one on every team's star receiver. He's big enough to not be pushed around by the big ones, and more than fast enough to hang with the speed demons. He has long arms easily able to break things up when the ball hangs in the air. Able to hit like a safety, he also runs like an NFL corner clocking in a 10.7 in the 100 meters and 21 in the 200.

Negatives about Rogers ... Teams know all about him after watching him work for the last three seasons, so he has to prove he can stay focused when there aren't many passes coming his way. His instincts aren't bad, but he can't try and make the strong safety-like kill shot and hope to use his speed to recover on the next level. His technique needs work needing to work on always getting into the right position.

A cool thing about Rogers that you probably didn't know ... He wasn't just a great high school defensive back, he was also a star point guard and running back scoring 22 touchdowns over his final two seasons.

Career statistics

2004: 47 tackles, 5 tackles for loss, 8 broken up passes and 2 int
2003: 29 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, 9 broken up passes and 1 int
2002: 48 tackles, 2 tackles for loss, 9 broken up passes and 4 int
2001: 58 tackles, ......................., 12 broken up passes .........

Thanks to Auburn for all the tidbits

BigChiefFan
04-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Rogers is a damn good player and I'd be pleased as Hell if we sign him or DE Pollack. I have a feeling we may go DE in the first if we get our CB in Surtain.

eazyb81
04-04-2005, 04:04 PM
There are numerous players that have not been well known until their senior years that have gone on to have great careers in the NFL. Likewise, there are just as many players that have put up big numbers in college but were busts in the NFL. Also, why do you think Jason Campbell will be a good player, even though he was regarded as a major underachiever until his senior year? You have an odd formula for deciding which players will be successful in the NFL.

DeepSouth
04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't like us drafting carlos rodgers until this year he didn't do anything. I m a Bama Fan and although i hate Auburn i have seen games over the years. I will admit Campbel the qb is good same with Cadilac, and Brown. Carlos is a spoiled brat he is one of those prima dona players who only shows up when he feels like it. Futhermore he doesn't show up in the big games we have enough of these players allready. We need a playmaker out there we got two this offseason let's add one more.

this is just my 2 cents feel free to respond.

Sounds just like something an uninformed Bama fan would say. My daughter goes to Auburn. I watched several Auburn games on the tube this year. The guy is a stud.

By the way, what the hell does an elephant have to do with the Crimson Tide? Are they all republicans?

penguinz
04-04-2005, 04:19 PM
We need a tightend!

morphius
04-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Its always hard to judge a CB without watching him regularly. It could very well be that you don't remember much about him because people threw away from him.

I just wish I could get more intrested in college ball for more then a few games a year.

chiefscafan
04-05-2005, 05:02 PM
well i knew i'd be attacked so it's ok I just think getting a cb because we need one instead of getting the best player available is the wrong idea. Rodgers is the third maybe 4th rated cb in the draft when we pick we will have some pretty good players to choose from. I still like Pollack but with the signing of Hall today i"m wondering if we are going away from d line. How bout this guys what about a wr? Hear me out first. If we add Surtain we have done somethings to improve the d if one of the stud wr falls Edwards, Williams , or Williamson you don't think it's worth a try?

How bout trading down a few picks picking up an extra second and drafting a mark clayton?

any thoughts?

Mr. Laz
04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
well i knew i'd be attacked so it's ok I just think getting a cb because we need one instead of getting the best player available is the wrong idea. Rodgers is the third maybe 4th rated cb in the draft when we pick we will have some pretty good players to choose from. I still like Pollack but with the signing of Hall today i"m wondering if we are going away from d line. How bout this guys what about a wr? Hear me out first. If we add Surtain we have done somethings to improve the d if one of the stud wr falls Edwards, Williams , or Williamson you don't think it's worth a try?

How bout trading down a few picks picking up an extra second and drafting a mark clayton?

any thoughts?
first off ... nobody attacked you, they just disagreed with you

secondly we haven't done enough in the offseason yet to make drafting an offensive player of any kind possible ... mark clayton or otherwise.

eazyb81
04-05-2005, 05:13 PM

any thoughts?
I've seen many places where Rogers is listed as the 2nd best CB in the draft, and most insiders agree that the difference between the top 3 CBs this year (Rolle, PacMan, Rogers) is very slim. Also, I don't really think our offense needs a big-time WR to be successful. Outside of Boerigter, we don't have a WR on the team taller then 6'1", yet we have had the best offense in the league the last 3 seasons. I think it would be much more beneficial for the Chiefs to draft quality players on defense early in the draft, and then take a WR somewhere in the 4th-6th round (Thorpe, Bragg, Stubblefield) to come in, catch open passes, and provide quality depth.

LiL stumppy
04-05-2005, 05:24 PM
I would rather have Rolle anywho

Mr. Laz
04-05-2005, 05:26 PM
I would rather have Rolle anywho
http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg

:p

Gravedigger
04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
What about a kicker we need one of those!!!!!

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 07:12 AM
Pollack is a DEFENSIVE END.

Mike Grose
04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.home.no/c0licab/captain.jpg

:p
:bravo: :jester: :hail:

I went out and was still laughing. Had to come back.

penguinz
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM