PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Heisman Trophy winner...

vailpass
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
...to carry water bottle for Bell & Anderson.

"Denver signs Dayne to one-year deal
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
April 2, 2005

The Denver Broncos continue to be the land of opportunity for free agents hoping for a fresh start.

Friday the team added running back Ron Dayne to the roster, signing the 27-year-old to a one-year deal. Terms were not immediately available, but the minimum salary for a player with Dayne's experience is $540,000.

Dayne, a Heisman Trophy winner at Wisconsin, was one of two running backs to visit the team's Dove Valley complex Friday. Former Chicago Bears running back Anthony Thomas was the other.

The Broncos traded Reuben Droughns, their leading rusher last season, to the Cleveland Browns earlier this week.

Dayne, who was the 11th pick overall in the 2000 draft, clashed with Giants coaches about his weight at times during his five-year career there. He never started more than seven games in a season, most often splitting time with Tiki Barber early in his career.

Dayne was inactive for all 16 games in 2003 and carried the ball only 52 times the past season for 179 yards. Dayne also visited the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins since free agency began."

No word on whether any Cleveland Browns running backs were available.

Thig Lyfe
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
HOLY CRAPP!!!!

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Wow, old news but still how many first round busts do the Donkos want to have on that team.

eazyb81
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Today on ESPN Radio Mark Schlereth said that if Dayne rushed for 1,000 yards next year all 5 Oline starters should get inducted into the Hall of Fame ROFL

vailpass
04-04-2005, 04:55 PM
Wow, old news but still how many first round busts do the Donkos want to have on that team.

Is this a re-post? Sorry.

Phobia
04-04-2005, 04:56 PM

Does the two from Mrs. Bowlen count?

Taco John
04-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Eh... I don't know why anyone is even mentioning our third/fourth string runningback. He'll spell Anderson just fine as a full back in the rotation.

*shrug*

vailpass
04-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Eh... I don't know why anyone is even mentioning our third/fourth string runningback. He'll spell Anderson just fine as a full back in the rotation.

*shrug*

Because I think it's funny to have Ron Dayne on the squad. I haven't seen anything quite this strange since we picked up Tony Dorsett.

Sure-Oz
04-04-2005, 05:13 PM
I remember when I wanted us to draft him. Maybe he will do decent as a donkey with their blocking.

1adam1238
04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Don't forget we have our own Heisman Trophy winner .....Crouch!!!!!

Mile High Mania
04-04-2005, 06:31 PM
I'll be a bit shocked if he makes the final cut when the season approaches. You know they'll draft a damn RB. Bell, Anderson, Q, Sapp, rookie... a couple of FBs. I just don't see this as anything other than training camp fodder.

Hercules Rockefell
04-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Because I think it's funny to have Ron Dayne on the squad. I haven't seen anything quite this strange since we picked up Tony Dorsett.

Than I take it the Gold signing didn't strike you as strange when DJ was better at the position as a rookie than Ian ever was?

Mile High Mania
04-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Than I take it the Gold signing didn't strike you as strange when DJ was better at the position as a rookie than Ian ever was?

Coyer tells us not to worry about it ... and honestly, I was in favor of bringing back Gold. I think DJ will be fine, but I don't like the fact they dumped all that cash on Gold.

alanm
04-04-2005, 08:12 PM
Don't forget we have our own Heisman Trophy winner .....Crouch!!!!!
Yeah.. We already got one of those. :thumb:

Hercules Rockefell
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Coyer tells us not to worry about it ... and honestly, I was in favor of bringing back Gold. I think DJ will be fine, but I don't like the fact they dumped all that cash on Gold.

Good for Coyer. This is now time #2 they've moved a better WLB to SLB to get Ian on the field. IG has got to have incriminating pictures of someone in the Broncos org. to get the treatment he does.