PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Corbain

ChiefsOne
04-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Died 11 years ago today, just was reminded by the radio station. Man it doesn't seem that long ago. I remember hearing about it at work that day, seems like just a few years ago. Not 11.

CosmicPal
04-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Time flies when you're not listening to Nirvana anymore, eh?

:D

Mr. Laz
04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Kurt Corbain

Died 11 years ago today, just was reminded by the radio station. Man it doesn't seem that long ago. I remember hearing about it at work that day, seems like just a few years ago. Not 11.
who's kurt corbain?

:shrug:

Simplex3
04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Hell, it wasn't suicide and Courtney Love didn't do it either! Unlike OJ, I *have* found the real killer:

http://www.publicola.mu.nu/archives/Kerry's%20shotgun%20edit%201.jpg

Eleazar
04-05-2005, 03:19 PM
over them. I reasonably liked the music, but... their sound is pretty flat and unsophisticated if you listen to it now compared to what came after them. I pulled out one of the records a little while back and it didn't seem to have aged well.

Radar Chief
04-05-2005, 03:24 PM
over them. I reasonably liked the music, but... their sound is pretty flat and unsophisticated if you listen to it now compared to what came after them. I pulled out one of the records a little while back and it didn't seem to have aged well.

I think that was on purpose. There music was as unkempt as there hair/clothes.

alpha_omega
04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Time flies...it's only been 1 year since he had been dead 10 years....LOL

Chiefs Pantalones
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I thought he committed suicide?

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
who's kurt corbain?

:shrug:
That's what I was wondering. Kurt Cobain...a guy with a very similar name.....rocked though.

ROYC75
04-05-2005, 04:21 PM
That's what I was wondering. Kurt Cobain...a guy with a very similar name.....rocked though.

WTF is a Kurt Cobain ?

Must be after my generation. :rolleyes:

Demonpenz
04-05-2005, 04:23 PM
i was just reminded about it today when my guitar mag had kurt on the front of it

Gravedigger
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
No disrespect to the deceased but I didn't ever like Nirvana and I believe they are the most overrated band of the 90's.

big nasty kcnut
04-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Great day when he put that gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Wife should of done it too. Thier daughter the one that really suffering for these two loser. Beside we wouldn't get to see the real talent of dave grohl

CosmicPal
04-05-2005, 04:29 PM
Great day when he put that gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Wife should of done it too. Thier daughter the one that really suffering for these two loser. Beside we wouldn't get to see the real talent of dave grohl

A great day? WTF- someone is dead, and it's a great day to you? Dude, I'm not even a Nirvana fan and I could really care less, but to say it's a great day he put that [shot]gun in his mouth is just about the most blatantly ignorant statement one can say....

CosmicPal
04-05-2005, 04:33 PM

BTW- whatever you do, don't ever get a job as a 911 operator.

Terribilis
04-05-2005, 04:44 PM
lamest thing I have heard all week-
:rolleyes:

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 04:46 PM
I see Folks dancing on the Pope's grave.......kcnut has the Same Speed limit here IMO.

SBK
04-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Pretty sad when a guy has that much going for him yet sees nothing to live for.

That said, it's long past time to let it go.

big nasty kcnut
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
He didn't care about life. Come on you all had people you think shouldn't live because how much of a disgusting person they were. I don't like when people died but he wanted to die and beside he and his wife wanted to kill themself and leave their daughter without a mom and dad. Beside i not a bad person but hate that people embrace him cause he did kill himself.

I'm not a bad person i just want to speak my mind. i hold back on a lot of thing cause i thought it would be mean spirted. I sorry i offended you all but i felt i had to say it.

Ultra Peanut
04-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Great day when he put that gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Wife should of done it too. Thier daughter the one that really suffering for these two loser. Beside we wouldn't get to see the real talent of dave grohlThat's actually what I was thinking when I saw the thread title. "Wow, has it really been a year?" ROFL

I see Folks dancing on the Pope's grave.......kcnut has the Same Speed limit here IMO.Has anyone said the day the Pope died was a great day? :rolleyes:

PunkinDrublic
04-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I think it was sadder when Lane Staley died because nobody cared enough to ask about him and his body went undiscovered for 3 weeks. It's sad to me to think he probably had a million hangers on when Alice in Chains were at the top but no friends or family cared enough to ask where he'd been or what he'd been up to. It just struck me as very depressing.

the Talking Can
Beside we wouldn't get to see the real talent of dave grohl

yeah, Ringo was soooo much better as a solo artist....

I like shitty music.

Spott
If Cobain doesn't shoot himself, Nirvana probably goes down as about the 3rd or 4th best Seattle band of that early 90's era behind AIC, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

How many years ago was it that Layne Staley died?

the Talking Can
04-05-2005, 06:57 PM
If Cobain doesn't shoot himself, Nirvana probably goes down as about the 3rd or 4th best Seattle band of that early 90's era behind AIC, Soundgarden and Pearl Jam.

um...yeah...I think you forgot Candlebox as well...

Spott
04-05-2005, 06:59 PM
um...yeah...I think you forgot Candlebox as well...

Yeah, them too.

PunkinDrublic
04-05-2005, 07:01 PM

How many years ago was it that Layne Staley died?

The thing is Lane Staley died after Alice in Chains had put out an album. Kurt died at the height of Nirvanas popularity. If you'll remember he killed himself weeks before In Utero came out.

Iowanian
04-05-2005, 07:35 PM
I think it was sadder when Lane Staley died because nobody cared enough to ask about him and his body went undiscovered for 3 weeks. It's sad to me to think he probably had a million hangers on when Alice in Chains were at the top but no friends or family cared enough to ask where he'd been or what he'd been up to. It just struck me as very depressing.

I know a joke would probably be inappropriate.......and I did like AiC...

Didn't he sing a song called "Dead and Bloated"? Irony.

I never cheered, celebrated the death of K.Co., I don't think its a good thing at all, but it hasn't affected me personally.

kcxiv
04-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Nirvana unplugged album is probalby one of the best albums i have heard. Some people like it some dont.

JamSec128
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
You know what is messed up is that he died 11yrs ago, but they didn't find his body until the 8th.

NJ Chief Fan
04-05-2005, 08:41 PM
im not a fan of nirvana im more into hip hop but the man did have a lot of talent to bad it was wasted rip kurt

|Zach|
04-05-2005, 08:44 PM
WTF is a Kurt Cobain ?

Must be after my generation. :rolleyes:
I don't think it had to be your generation to understand that Kurt Cobain is someone's name. :hmmm:

|Zach|
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
What the **** is wrong with you.

morphius
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I know a joke would probably be inappropriate.......and I did like AiC...

I never cheered, celebrated the death of K.Co., I don't think its a good thing at all, but it hasn't affected me personally.
Dead and Bloated was STP.

Fat Elvis
04-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Q: What were Kurt Cobain's last words?

A: Hole's gonna be big.

OK, it was a bit funnier when Hole had some songs on the billboard....

Archie Bunker
04-05-2005, 11:53 PM
What can I say Nirvana was, is, and always will be my favorite band. Heck I am still stuck in the early 90's music wise STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc. is about all I listen to these days.

Anyone who loves Nirvana make sure to get the box set. Absolutely amazing. I wish I would have gotten to watch their music grow "You Know You're Right" was terrific and I can only imagine what else 3 of my generations best musicians could have done.

"Teenage angst has paid off well, Now Im bored and old."

Anyway I hate you Courtney. 4321

Brando
04-05-2005, 11:57 PM
What can I say Nirvana was, is, and always will be my favorite band. Heck I am still stuck in the early 90's music wise STP, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, etc. is about all I listen to these days.

Anyone who loves Nirvana make sure to get the box set. Absolutely amazing. I wish I would have gotten to watch their music grow "You Know You're Right" was terrific and I can only imagine what else 3 of my generations best musicians could have done.

"Teenage angst has paid off well, Now Im bored and old."

Anyway I hate you Courtney. 4321

They had a nice special on Showtime where they interviewed this guy that Courtney supposedly talk to about making the hit on Kurt. I know some people in the "industry" and supposedly he was going to hang up Nirvana and produce. She figured him dead would bring her more money then him as a producer. Would she just get AIDS and die in Woody Harrleson's tub already?

Archie Bunker
04-06-2005, 12:03 AM
They had a nice special on Showtime where they interviewed this guy that Courtney supposedly talk to about making the hit on Kurt. I know some people in the "industry" and supposedly he was going to hang up Nirvana and produce. She figured him dead would bring her more money then him as a producer. Would she just get AIDS and die in Woody Harrleson's tub already?

Would have been nice to see him produce or write only and get away from everything for awhile.

Nice to see you have the same opinion of Courtney that I do. I usually am not a conspiracy guy but there is little doubt in my mind that see a had a hand in it.

Brando
04-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Would have been nice to see him produce or write only and get away from everything for awhile.

Nice to see you have the same opinion of Courtney that I do. I usually am not a conspiracy guy but there is little doubt in my mind that see a had a hand in it.
I like to view her as a punker version of Michael Bolton. It helps to increase my level of hatred ten fold.

Archie Bunker
04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
I like to view her as a punker version of Michael Bolton. It helps to increase my level of hatred ten fold.

ROFL

Ultra Peanut
04-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Q: What were Kurt Cobain's last words?

A: Hole's gonna be big.ROFL

Taco John
04-06-2005, 02:49 AM
No disrespect to the deceased but I didn't ever like Nirvana and I believe they are the most overrated band of the 90's.

You're too young to understand. You'd have to have been going through at least Jr. High in the 80's to really understand the impact of Nirvana in the soundscape.

Some will try to lessen what their impact really was. I find the arguments quite unconvincing. They were the breakthrough band that put the Seattle sound on the map, finally giving the music scene some much needed direction. And the changes were pretty vast... We went from "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Sweet Cherry Pie" to "Smells Like Teen Spirit." We went from Verse, Chorus, Bridge, Guitar Solo, Screamer's Climax, and Song end, to song structures that weren't so formulaic. The bass guitar became an equal partner to the song, rather than a flat accompaniment. Of course music was naturally moving in this direction, but Nirvana was the breakthrough band. The Doors of our time.

Of course, I'm too young to really appreciate The Doors. So is the nature of life.

Mark M
04-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Not a huge fan of Nirvana, but I can appreciate what they did for music (namely, putting hair bands out of business).

It's a shame he didn't shoot that stupid, skanky whore wife of his first, though ...

MM
~~:sulk:

ROYC75
04-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Not a huge fan of Nirvana, but I can appreciate what they did for music (namely, putting hair bands out of business).

It's a shame he didn't shoot that stupid, skanky whore wife of his first, though ...

MM

Heh,I guess I'm stuck within my own generation, I missed that group.

Tell me something, a song they did, maybe I can relate .

ROYC75
04-06-2005, 08:03 AM
I don't think it had to be your generation to understand that Kurt Cobain is someone's name. :hmmm:

I guess I should of spelled it out....Who The F*ck is ....... Guess the WTF threw you a curve......:rolleyes:

Again, after my generation, I'm still stuck in the late 50's - early 80's music. I haven't listen to anything else since.

I'm stuck and feel OK about it. :D

Dr. Johnny Fever
04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Great day when he put that gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. Wife should of done it too.
Wow nut..... even if you didn't like the guy I would never have imagined a comment like that from you.

:shake:

morphius
04-06-2005, 08:07 AM
I really don't buy all the Nirvana hype. Perl Jam is what got Seattle on the map, Nirvana just fell onto the scene when people started looking for more "grunge" music in the coffee drinking, angst ridden, grey and dingy, pacific north. Don't get me wrong, I listened to them and enjoyed them, but never thought all that much about them, and generally enjoyed some of the other bands from the area a lot more. With all the press and accolades they get you think there would be a few bans like them out there, but nope, rock has went heavy again, alternitive music was generally a market flop outside of a couple bands, and most of the music from that time period has dissapeared off the radio.

the Talking Can
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I really don't buy all the Nirvana hype. Perl Jam is what got Seattle on the map, Nirvana just fell onto the scene when people started looking for more "grunge" music in the coffee drinking, angst ridden, grey and dingy, pacific north.

exactly wrong...without Nirvana no one would given 2 shits about Seattle...and you can thank Sonic Youth for getting Nirvana their first deal...Sonic Youth wasn't promoting Pearl Jam as the best band on the planet...

morphius
04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
exactly wrong...without Nirvana no one would given 2 shits about Seattle...and you can thank Sonic Youth for getting Nirvana their first deal...Sonic Youth wasn't promoting Pearl Jam as the best band on the planet...
Sonic who? Some band pimping one band as the greatest on Earth really does nothing for me, I have known a few muscians and they don't all agree on music either.

Lets see, Pearl Jam did just barely get their albulm out by a month, and all the other bands out of seattle sounded more like Pearl Jam then they did Nirvana. Sorry, not seeing that GREAT influence yet.

(I'll add that I think everything after 10 by Pearl Jam has pretty much blowed)

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM

MM

ill drink to that.
anyone here miss the power ballad?

ChiefsOne
04-06-2005, 08:47 AM

No that was STP, but Nirvana did have a song called "All Appologies", that I believe came out after he was dead. He kept repeating "I don't have a gun". That was kind of weird!

My 2 cents: Nirvana did make the Seattle scene bust loose, but most of the popular bands sounded more like Pearl Jam.

Radar Chief
04-06-2005, 08:50 AM
anyone here miss the power ballad?

I’m sure the manufactures of Aquanet miss them.

Brando
04-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I really don't buy all the Nirvana hype. Perl Jam is what got Seattle on the map, Nirvana just fell onto the scene when people started looking for more "grunge" music in the coffee drinking, angst ridden, grey and dingy, pacific north. Don't get me wrong, I listened to them and enjoyed them, but never thought all that much about them, and generally enjoyed some of the other bands from the area a lot more. With all the press and accolades they get you think there would be a few bans like them out there, but nope, rock has went heavy again, alternitive music was generally a market flop outside of a couple bands, and most of the music from that time period has dissapeared off the radio.

This is coming from the guy that went to see Def Leppard at a cattle raping contest in Houston.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Poison Idea came out of Seattle and blow away anything any pop band from there ever did.

Feel the Darkness

The Accussed were real early90 late 80s band that never made it big but still rocked way way way harder than any pop.

i hate pop.:harumph:

Brando
04-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Poison Idea came out of Seattle and blow away anything any pop band from there ever did.

Feel the Darkness

The Accussed were real early90 late 80s band that never made it big but still rocked way way way harder than any pop.

i hate pop.:harumph:

Pop is for pussies

InChiefsHeaven
04-06-2005, 09:10 AM
meh. Best band out of Seattle was Queensrych...

...that's right. I'm an old metal head. Fuggin Nirvana played three chords and no solo's. FWIW, I remember them coming out with Smells Like Team Spirit, and they exploded onto the scene. Before Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam actually has more talent, but they pretty much sucked after "10" IMO.

When Kurt died, you had all these morons crying like we had just lost one of the freakin' Beatles...people were comparing him to Jim Morrison...only comparison there was that they were both drugged out morons...

morphius
04-06-2005, 09:11 AM
This is coming from the guy that went to see Def Leppard at a cattle raping contest in Houston.
Umm, never saw Def Leppard live, but I have seen Ozzy twice, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, Nuno Bettencort and Extreme. But maybe you can tell me where I am actually wrong in my assessment.

ChiefsOne
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Queensryche

You are correct, they are the best to come out of that area!

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Sonic who?

Dude, if you don't know who Sonic Youth is then you should have no part in this discussion. Your blatant ignorance regarding the alternative music scene as a whole was enough to make me roll my eyes. I grew up on the Alternative music scene- it was rich, lyrical, politically charged, and emotionally profound music. From the root of alternative music- you have a great many branches, and one of those branches would be the Seattle Sound- which, by the way, was made entirely popular by the movie, Singles. Nirvana didn't help Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam didn't help Nirvana, Sonic Youth didn't help Alice in Chains, or anything- the sound exploded due to the hugely popular movie at that time.

Just because you know how to drive a car doesn't mean you know anything about the engine. So, just because you listen to music doesn't mean you know sh*t about the artists. If you don't like a particular musical group or sound- that's great- we all have our tastes. But, to denounce another sound when you have no idea what you're talking about is another thing.

Case in point: Just yesterday a co-worker told me he had a CD of George Carlin- I asked if he would like to trade CD's we were listeing to cause I wanted to listen to Carlin. I gave him my mix jamband CD- a bluesy jam CD with Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers, and some bluegrass in there as well. He returned the CD to me later and I asked him what he thought of it. His reply was, I don't like folk music. :shake:

He couldn't even tell me what kind of music he was listening to, and he thought it was bad.... :rolleyes:

Mark M
04-06-2005, 09:16 AM
When Kurt died, you had all these morons crying like we had just lost one of the freakin' Beatles...people were comparing him to Jim Morrison...only comparison there was that they were both drugged out morons...

ROFL

Ain't that the truth.

BTW, STP was better than Pearl Jam or Nirvana or Soundgarden (who totally sucked).

MM
~~:D

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
You are correct, they are the best pop to come out of that area!

thats better.

pm me if you wanna shot stick fri. w/ me and a buddy.

Mark M
04-06-2005, 09:35 AM
that's like saying American Idol is better than Nirvana...

I see no problem with that ...

afterall, they both kinda suck.

MM
~~;)

morphius
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
No that was STP, but Nirvana did have a song called "All Appologies", that I believe came out after he was dead. He kept repeating "I don't have a gun". That was kind of weird!

My 2 cents: Nirvana did make the Seattle scene bust loose, but most of the popular bands sounded more like Pearl Jam.
Yup, I can't believe how hard it was to find the info on the net, sheesh.

I guess Nirvana did hit big first, I had been trying to hunt down the info and haven't found much. It just seemed I remember seeing one of the Pearl Jam video's before I saw the Nirvana one, but oh well.

Of course my point still stands that they were not all that influential. From VH1's Pearl Jam Bio...

Ten didn't begin selling in significant numbers until early 1992, after Nirvana made mainstream rock radio receptive to alternative rock acts. Soon, Pearl Jam outsold Nirvana, which wasn't surprising...

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/pearl_jam/bio.jhtml

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
He couldn't even tell me what kind of music he was listening to, and he thought it was bad.... :rolleyes:
reminds me of the "Misfits is a punk band thread"

the Talking Can
04-06-2005, 09:40 AM
ROFL

Ain't that the truth.

BTW, STP was better than Pearl Jam or Nirvana or Soundgarden (who totally sucked).

MM

that's like saying American Idol is better than Nirvana...

stevieray
04-06-2005, 09:40 AM
the only reason nirvana was popular is because they were the "voice" for a generation who had no identity, other than unhappiness.

talented? yes. overplayed the pixies format? yes.

Icons of music. Not a chance.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
the only reason nirvana was popular is because they were the "voice" for a generation who had no identity, other than unhappiness.

talented? yes. overplayed the pixies format? yes.

Icons of music. Not a chance.

IMO the reason they were popular was because kids were soured on the metal ballad that wouldnt die.

the kids were starved for anything new

I took Blue to school and never got it back(didnt matter cause i didnt like em all that much anyway)

morphius
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Dude, if you don't know who Sonic Youth is then you should have no part in this discussion. Your blatant ignorance regarding the alternative music scene as a whole was enough to make me roll my eyes. I grew up on the Alternative music scene- it was rich, lyrical, politically charged, and emotionally profound music. From the root of alternative music- you have a great many branches, and one of those branches would be the Seattle Sound- which, by the way, was made entirely popular by the movie, Singles. Nirvana didn't help Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam didn't help Nirvana, Sonic Youth didn't help Alice in Chains, or anything- the sound exploded due to the hugely popular movie at that time.

Just because you know how to drive a car doesn't mean you know anything about the engine. So, just because you listen to music doesn't mean you know sh*t about the artists. If you don't like a particular musical group or sound- that's great- we all have our tastes. But, to denounce another sound when you have no idea what you're talking about is another thing.

Case in point: Just yesterday a co-worker told me he had a CD of George Carlin- I asked if he would like to trade CD's we were listeing to cause I wanted to listen to Carlin. I gave him my mix jamband CD- a bluesy jam CD with Gov't Mule, Allman Brothers, and some bluegrass in there as well. He returned the CD to me later and I asked him what he thought of it. His reply was, I don't like folk music. :shake:

I know who they are, I just never really listened to their stuff. Just because you think alternitive is the greatest thing since sliced bread, doesn't make you right either. The music industry drove the alternitive scene as much as anything, and they pushed some real crap.

Again, I listened to Nirvana and Perl Jam, as well as Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and have multiple CD's by most of those bands. It more then likely took both Nirvana and Perl Jam to really get the Seattle scene going, 'cause the music industry loves to jump onto anything remotely popular and then overload it.

Hell, alternitive was so f'n great that Country starting becoming more popular because people were not that impressed with it.

morphius
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
ROFL

Ain't that the truth.

MM
I thought STP and Alice in Chains were the best of the bunch. But I'm damn glad the good heavy stuff crept its way back onto the radio.

beavis
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I thought STP and Alice in Chains were the best of the bunch. But I'm damn glad the good heavy stuff crept its way back onto the radio.
Two of my favorites too.

I've always said Nirvana was vastly overrated because he blew his head off. If that had never happened, they'd be lumped in with the rest.

Brando
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Umm, never saw Def Leppard live, but I have seen Ozzy twice, Rob Zombie, Linkin Park, Nuno Bettencort and Extreme. But maybe you can tell me where I am actually wrong in my assessment.

Sorry dude..wasn't paying attention. I thought that I was quoting Phil. My bad!

Mark M
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM

That's what I liked most about STP -- they had that heavy metal edge to them.

Sadly, though, music today has really flattened out IMHO. It's either hip-hop, cross-over country, bands who think they're punk but aren't (Green Day, Blink 182, Avril Levine ... sorry, not punk ... Black Flag, Ramones, Butthole Surfers ... punk), or heavy metal wannabes.

While I enjoy some rap, some country, and even Green Day, so much music seems so freaking uninspired. No one is taking a stand and no one is breaking new ground. The artists with the potential to do so have either lost touch (U2), have gone into a rut (Beck), or are trying too damned hard (Lenny Kravitz).

While I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, et al are overrated, at least they were different from what was out at the time.

Of course, there's always the chance that I'm just getting old ...

MM

ChiefsOne
04-06-2005, 09:54 AM
MOhillblly
Originally Posted by ChiefsOne
You are correct, they are the best pop to come out of that area!

thats better.

Queensryche....pop?

You better quite listening to that death metal, it will rot your brain. Have you heard Mindcrime?

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:56 AM
bands who think they're punk but aren't (Green Day, Blink 182, Avril Levine ... sorry, not punk

kids call that shit EMO now esp the later 2.

Brando
04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
MOhillblly

Queensryche....pop?

You better quite listening to that death metal, it will rot your brain. Have you heard Mindcrime?

Anyone see that episode of Mythbusters when they played musics/record messages to plants? They wanted to see if anything would make the plants grow faster. Deathmetal was the winner.
O.k. I'm going to put Cliff Claven back in the closet now.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
MOhillblly

Queensryche....pop?

nope anygood?
ill trade a hoods tape......tradeing tapes them were the days.

ps i dont listen to deathmetal atleast not anymore.

Brando
04-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Blink 182, Avril Levine ... sorry, not punk
I'll take Bad Religion, Face to Face, or the Dropkick Murphy's over any of that crap eight days a week and twice on Sunday.

morphius
04-06-2005, 10:05 AM
That's what I liked most about STP -- they had that heavy metal edge to them.

Sadly, though, music today has really flattened out IMHO. It's either hip-hop, cross-over country, bands who think they're punk but aren't (Green Day, Blink 182, Avril Levine ... sorry, not punk ... Black Flag, Ramones, Butthole Surfers ... punk), or heavy metal wannabes.

While I enjoy some rap, some country, and even Green Day, so much music seems so freaking uninspired. No one is taking a stand and no one is breaking new ground. The artists with the potential to do so have either lost touch (U2), have gone into a rut (Beck), or are trying too damned hard (Lenny Kravitz).

While I think Nirvana, Pearl Jam, et al are overrated, at least they were different from what was out at the time.

Of course, there's always the chance that I'm just getting old ...

MM

I'm damn sure it must be that we are getting old, LOL! There are very few really good bands out there any more, and very few that can put together a complete albulm. Right now I tend to find myself listening to Nickelback, Rob Zombie, Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Adema, 12 Stones, and bits an pieces of a bunch of other bands that seem to have a couple good songs.

Mark M
04-06-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm damn sure it must be that we are getting old, LOL! There are very few really good bands out there any more, and very few that can put together a complete albulm.

That's because music today is all about the single, not the album. The chances of anyone making another Revolver or even Licensed to Ill are slim and none.

Right now I tend to find myself listening to Nickelback, Rob Zombie, Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Adema, 12 Stones, and bits an pieces of a bunch of other bands that seem to have a couple good songs.

Well ... you just named at lesat two bands that, IMHO, are incredibly overrated. Namely, Nickelsuck and Hoobasuck.

The others are alright.

MM
~~:p

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I know who they are, I just never really listened to their stuff. Just because you think alternitive is the greatest thing since sliced bread, doesn't make you right either. The music industry drove the alternitive scene as much as anything, and they pushed some real crap.

First of all- it's alternative. A L T E R N A T I V E

You will never win a debate on an internet board if you can't spell.

Second of all - your first sentence is precisely what I'm talking about. Listen to yourself: I know who they are, I just never really listened to their stuff. That is what I was saying- you can't argue about something you don't know. It's like someone saying they know what sushi is, but they don't like it- even though they've never put a phucking piece of sushi in their stomach. You can't say you don't like sushi if you've never tried it.

Third of all - the Alternative music scene wasn't "pushed" by the music industry. You can't "push" music like you can a candy bar. Alternative was introduced to the music scene by a campaign of music videos shown on MTV when it actually used to show music videos.

And lastly- when did I ever say alternative music was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Do you see that little photo collage in my posts? The one with images of the Grateful Dead? I just happened to be an informed music lover who actually listens and enjoys a great number of music genres including alternative, blues, jazz, classic rock, bluegrass, and even- classical.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Nietzche

stevieray
04-06-2005, 10:19 AM
old my ass. I like music from every decade and genre since the fifties, except the this one.

Greed and video took the heart and soul out of music.

|Zach|
04-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm damn sure it must be that we are getting old, LOL! There are very few really good bands out there any more, and very few that can put together a complete albulm. Right now I tend to find myself listening to Nickelback, Rob Zombie, Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Evanescence, Adema, 12 Stones, and bits an pieces of a bunch of other bands that seem to have a couple good songs.
You are talking about how there are not that many good bands out there and you are listening to Hoobastank and Nickelback?

There are all kinds of great bands out there...you just have to look a little bit passed the really popular stuff. There are not less good groups out there today than their used to be.

morphius
04-06-2005, 10:22 AM
That's because music today is all about the single, not the album. The chances of anyone making another Revolver or even Licensed to Ill are slim and none.

Well ... you just named at lesat two bands that, IMHO, are incredibly overrated. Namely, Nickelsuck and Hoobasuck.

The others are alright.

MM
~~:p
LOL! I actually kind of like Nicklebacks stuff, Hoobastank is just kind of there and something I can listen to. The only othe bands I could think of were Disturbed and Godsmack, both with both of those there are 4-5 songs on the CD's that I like and then after that I just lose intrest. I'm sure there is some good stuff out there, I just don't take the time to look anymore.

morphius
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
You will never win a debate on an internet board if you can't spell. I cannot overemphasize the importance of good grammar.

What a crock. I could easily overemphasize the importance of good
grammar. For example, I could say: "Bad grammar is the leading cause
of slow, painful death in North America," or "Without good grammar, the
United States would have lost World War II."
-- Dave Barry, "An Utterly Absurd Look at Grammar"
(I would say the same about spelling)

Second of all - your first sentence is precisely what I'm talking about. Listen to yourself: I know who they are, I just never really listened to their stuff. That is what I was saying- you can't argue about something you don't know. It's like someone saying they know what sushi is, but they don't like it- even though they've never put a phucking piece of sushi in their stomach. You can't say you don't like sushi if you've never tried it.

So, because I don't listen to Sonic Youth all other points are invalid? BS!

Third of all - the Alternative music scene wasn't "pushed" by the music industry. You can't "push" music like you can a candy bar. Alternative was introduced to the music scene by a campaign of music videos shown on MTV when it actually used to show music videos.

Again, BS! Did you hear some of those Hair Bands? If those were not "PUSHED" I don't know what you call it.

And lastly- when did I ever say alternative music was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Do you see that little photo collage in my posts? The one with images of the Grateful Dead? I just happened to be an informed music lover who actually listens and enjoys a great number of music genres including alternative, blues, jazz, classic rock, bluegrass, and even- classical.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Nietzche

Okay, I'm not going to argue with you about your tastes in music.

Iowanian
04-06-2005, 10:29 AM
None of them have Anything on Hag, Jones and Cash.

|Zach|
04-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I think anyone who pays enough attention to who is making music videos and who is really popular and makes and makes their opinions off of that is missing the boat. If anyone were to tell me 6 or 7 artists they really like musically I bet I could throw them 3 artists they would love that are playing music right now. You might not be able to see the video on TV but it would be amazing music...

I will say...IMO the harder the music the less there has been innovation in that music in the past few years

morphius
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
I think anyone who pays enough attention to who is making music videos and who is really popular and makes and makes their opinions off of that is missing the boat. If anyone were to tell me 6 or 7 artists they really like musically I bet I could throw them 3 artists they would love that are playing music right now. You might not be able to see the video on TV but it would be amazing music...

I will say...IMO the harder the music the less there has been innovation in that music in the past few years
Then toss me some damn it!

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 10:44 AM

that is a buzz word that is thrown around WAY to much imo you cant label it alternative if the genre has gone gold for elevnty billion singles/LPs.

Iron Chef
04-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Ashley Simpson :hmmm:

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I'll take Bad Religion, Face to Face, or the Dropkick Murphy's over any of that crap eight days a week and twice on Sunday.

all the early 80s HC from coast to coast was a once in a lifetime deal it will NEVER EVER be repeated great time and tunes.

it happens to be my favorite style.

I seen dropkick above the highlife about 8 years ago and there was all of 12 people there.
Al barr blows and scally caps are for homos.

ChiefsOne
04-06-2005, 10:50 AM
CosmicPal
You can't say you don't like sushi if you've never tried it.

HorseSh!t, well if you believe that statement ...... how do you know you wouldn't like to suck a d!ck?

|Zach|
04-06-2005, 11:13 AM
Then toss me some damn it!
Snow Patrol (http://www.snowpatrol.net/)
Rooney (http://www.rooney-band.com/)
My Morning Jacket (http://www.mymorningjacket.com/)
These 3 are rockish...

If you want to go harder I would listen to System Of A Down (Listen to the "Toxicity" album) (http://www.systemofadown.com/)

If you want to go with something softer give Guster (http://www.guster.com) and The Postal Service (http://www.subpop.com/bands/postalservice/)

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 11:14 AM
CosmicPal

HorseSh!t, well if you believe that statement ...... how do you know you wouldn't like to suck a d!ck?

ROFL

|Zach|
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Hahahahahahaha!!
Ya I never thought I would hear someone talk about how there is not that many good bands out there followed up with... "but I listen to Nickelback"

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Dude, that IS the music industry pushing something. Do you have any idea how a video gets airplay on MTV?

ew ew ew ew I do.

they have to suck.

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Not necessarily, but it helps.

It starts with a lot of cash being thrown around. I'll tell you that.

seen some shit along time ago where a band walked into a meeting w/ mtv and they brought trashbags of cash.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Dude, that IS the music industry pushing something. Do you have any idea how a video gets airplay on MTV?

Yes, it is...I wasn't clear in what I was trying to say. For instance, when I was living in KC you couldn't hear an alternative band on the radio. It wasn't until that station, the Lazer, I believe it was- started playing some. But, the Lazer was out of Lawrence. My point was, without MTV- alternative may very well have stayed under the radar of the mainstream music. Unfortunately, I used a bad example.

Brando
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
The music industry signs and heavily markets new bands and group to a target audience of 14 year olds. I know agents for Sony, A&M, and Island records. It's sad but true. Kids are the ones watching MTV and buying most CD's and t-shirts and crap nowadays.

CosmicPal
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
CosmicPal

I bet a swell guy like you would suck d!ck on a regualr basis before he ever ate sushi.

Iowanian
04-06-2005, 11:31 AM
Sushi is an old Japanese word for "haven't mastered Fire yet"

MOhillbilly
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Whoa... I can't believe this article is still on the 'net.

http://dir.salon.com/ent/feature/2001/03/14/payola/index.html

If you click that link, you'll get a decent description of how music gets radio airplay. MTV won't play a video unless the song is getting a certain number of spins on the radio. I used to have some numbers and whatnot on that, but I've got no chance in hell of finding that.

there is a big stink in Boston cause they are doing the samething w/ venues and pushing the hardcore kids out.

morphius
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Snow Patrol (http://www.snowpatrol.net/)
Rooney (http://www.rooney-band.com/)
My Morning Jacket (http://www.mymorningjacket.com/)
These 3 are rockish...

If you want to go harder I would listen to System Of A Down (Listen to the "Toxicity" album) (http://www.systemofadown.com/)

If you want to go with something softer give Guster (http://www.guster.com) and The Postal Service (http://www.subpop.com/bands/postalservice/)
I'm not overly impressed with Toxicity, they were at Ozzfest a couple years back with Rob Zombie, Adema and a few other bands. I think I have 5 songs by them that I like, but nothing too impressive.

As far as Nickelback, do ahead, make fun, I know I don't have "great" musical taste, and obviously if I did I would just accept that Nirvana is God. Hell, I know Linkin Park sucks, but for some reason I like it, so sue me. LOL!

ChiefsOne
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
I bet a swell guy like you would suck d!ck on a regualr basis before he ever ate sushi.

No, Cosmic I like sushi. Haven't sucked a d!ck, but pretty sure wouldn't like it and I do know there are certain things that I don't have to try to know I don't like!

Ultra Peanut
04-06-2005, 03:18 PM
This is coming from the guy that went to see Def Leppard at a cattle raping contest in Houston.ROFL