PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Chiefs pick up two Titans

tk13
04-06-2005, 01:07 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11319091.htm

Chiefs pick up two Titans

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs failed last month in their previous attempt to raid the Tennessee Titans when they couldn't reach a contract agreement with cornerback Samari Rolle.

They finally succeeded Tuesday in acquiring a couple of Titans. The Chiefs signed defensive end Carlos Hall and wide receiver Darrell Hill.

Hall joins the Chiefs at the urging of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who coached Hall for two seasons with the Titans. He had a big rookie season in 2002 with eight sacks.

He slipped to three sacks in 2003 and 2 1/2 last year. But the Chiefs believe that Hall, who probably will be the first backup off the bench at defensive end behind Eric Hicks and Jared Allen, can again be productive.

Hall will essentially fill the role vacated when the Chiefs released veteran Vonnie Holliday. They looked at veteran Jay Williams, but he signed instead with St. Louis.

“We are pleased to acquire the services of Carlos Hall,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “He should become an important part of our defensive end rotation.”

Hall was a restricted free agent, and the Chiefs gave the Titans a fifth-round 2005 draft pick not to match the offer sheet. Hill was an unrestricted free agent.

Hill has good speed but hasn't caught a pass in three NFL seasons.

But Hill has been a standout on special teams and will compete for a roster spot with the Chiefs.

RedDread
04-06-2005, 03:17 AM
After signing these two would we still have enough under the salary cap to fit Surtain in next year?

beer bacon
04-06-2005, 03:21 AM
After signing these two would we still have enough under the salary cap to fit Surtain in next year?

We have enough room to handle anything Lamar's wallet can handle.

dave0320
04-06-2005, 06:00 AM
I bet Hall will beat out Hicks for the starting job.

InChiefsHeaven
04-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Geez. Hill hasn't caught a pass in 3 seasons? So I guess there's nothing to be exited about there...

...meh. These guys came cheap. It's a good move, especially Hall. If he can't beat Hicks, it's gonna be because Hicks elevates his game. Win-win...

DeepSouth
04-06-2005, 06:52 AM
What's up with Jimmy Wilkerson? I thought he'd be in the running for a starting spot by now?

Bob Dole
04-06-2005, 07:01 AM
I bet Hall will beat out Hicks for the starting job.

We can only pray that he gets the opportunity.

StcChief
04-06-2005, 07:14 AM
I think the D positions are all up for grabs.

The Bad Guy
04-06-2005, 07:17 AM
This isn't a bad move, but this will hurt Carl's futile attempts to get Surtain for a 4th.

If a backup DE is worth a 5th, then a Pro Bowl corner has to be worth a 2nd.

Rausch
04-06-2005, 07:22 AM
There are 5 safeties out there in free agency, so there's still hope yet....

Coach
04-06-2005, 07:36 AM
What the hell?

ESPN.com said:

Kansas City Chiefs: Restricted free-agent defensive end Carlos Hall was acquired from the Tennessee Titans for a fifth-round pick in the 2005 draft, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports.

After Hall signs a one-year qualifying offer for a restricted free agent, worth $656,000, the parties will work on a long-term contract, Pasquarelli has learned.

Hall, 26, started 31 of 45 games in three seasons with the Titans. Last season, he recorded 41 tackles, 2˝ sacks and one fumble recovery.

In Kansas City, he likely will compete with Jared Allen for the starting right end spot.

A seventh-round pick out of Arkansas in 2002, Hall has 120 tackles, 13 sacks and seven pass deflections.

:spock: :shake:

There better be no way someone's going after Allen's job. He and Dalton are the only ones who played well. It should be Eric Hicks spot that he should be going after. :mad:

whoman69
04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
What's up with Jimmy Wilkerson? I thought he'd be in the running for a starting spot by now?
He was a 6th round pick that came out to early. Had he stayed in school he may have been a 1st day pick. But he's not learning nearly as much reserving his permanent bench spot as he would have in his senior season, so no improvement is coming. Its not realistic to believe a 6th rounder is going to improve the team except as a ST performer or a backup.

DeepSouth
04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Its not realistic to believe a 6th rounder is going to improve the team except as a ST performer or a backup.

So the Chiefs just gave up a fifth for a guy that was drafted in the seventh........

Wile_E_Coyote
04-06-2005, 04:05 PM
titans online:

The Titans on Wednesday traded DE Carlos Hall to the Kansas City Chiefs for a fifth-round draft pick (#150 overall). Tennessee now owns 10 selections in this month’s draft (April 23-24), including eight of the top 150 picks. “We had a chance to get a good pick and they liked Carlos, so it was a win-win deal,” Titans GM Floyd Reese said. “It gives us some meat right in the middle of the draft, which can enable you to move up or move down. We drafted him in the seventh, tendered him as a seventh and ended up with a fifth, so we felt pretty good about that."

that leaves KC with #147 & #162 in the fifth

milkman
04-06-2005, 05:20 PM
titans online:

The Titans on Wednesday traded DE Carlos Hall to the Kansas City Chiefs for a fifth-round draft pick (#150 overall). Tennessee now owns 10 selections in this month’s draft (April 23-24), including eight of the top 150 picks. “We had a chance to get a good pick and they liked Carlos, so it was a win-win deal,” Titans GM Floyd Reese said. “It gives us some meat right in the middle of the draft, which can enable you to move up or move down. We drafted him in the seventh, tendered him as a seventh and ended up with a fifth, so we felt pretty good about that."

that leaves KC with #147 & #162 in the fifth

For a tough SOB negotiator, I think Carl got jobbed on this deal.

Should have been able to give them the #162 at worst, and probably gotten away with giving them only a 6th round pick.

Hell, if we signed him, I think chances are that they would have been unlikely to match.

Fairplay
04-06-2005, 05:24 PM
titans online:

Titans GM Floyd Reese said. “It gives us some meat right in the middle of the draft, which can enable you to move up or move down.

:eek:

buddha
04-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Once and for all, anybody who thinks Gunther is going to NOT play his two best DEs, regardless of who's playing on which side, is kidding himself! If Hicks is the third best DE, he will either be gone or he'll be on the bench. Is there anybody who really thinks Jared Allen WON'T be a starting DE this season for Kansas City? No, me neither. So let's move on to more productive ground.