PDA

View Full Version : To the folks in Iowa

Coach
04-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Either that would be Hoover, Iowanian, or whoever lives in the state. Apparently, me and the family is planning a trip to Council Bluffs, Iowa for a track meet in April 30th. And I would appreciate it if you fellas would take the time to respond to a few questions that I would have in mind.

1. We live close to Wichita, Kansas. My best guess on how to get there is taking the toll road (I-35) up to Emporia, then going off into KC and going off into I-435 W, merging to I-29 up to Council Bluffs. Is there any other way around, other than what I mentioned?

2. We will be going to the deaf school in Iowa, which would be Iowa School for the Deaf. If any of you guys know what street/intersection the school would be located, that would be greatly appreciated. I looked up Yahoo! maps and some others, and they both were not accurate on where it is exactly. And last time I tried to find the actual link of the school, it was off-line (Unless it's my computer?)

3. Any of you guys happen to know any good decent hotels where it's very close to the school, yet is very good in quality? Like Days Inn or Red Inn, or something?

I appreciate your comments and information that I be seeking.

Eleazar
04-06-2005, 07:52 AM
I-29 goes right to council bluffs.

Here is a map to the campus

http://www.iadeaf.k12.ia.us/map_to_ISD_wcolor.pdf

Hoover
04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm more of a Eastern Iowa Dude, but I'll look to check out some hotels.

Iowanian
04-06-2005, 08:11 AM
I've been to CouncilTucky a few times but wouldn't exactly know directions to the school.

I do know that there is quite a bit to do in the area while you're there. Good places to eat in Old Town Omaha, just across the river, the Zoo etc...

Wish I could be of help, but far Western IA is probably my weakest area of assistance.

seclark
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
harrah's - council bluffs
sec
-edit to state i'm not from iowa, but know about where it's at.

Iowanian
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
AmeriStar.......Counciltucky.

Coach
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Cochise - Thanks for the link. I'll have to look it up. It also might be possible that we might stay the night at my uncle's house in Lincoln, so we might be going up on I-80 to there. It's possible. Do you perhaps live in Council Bluffs?

Hoover - Thanks for the hotel deal. I'll be checking on that. :)

Iowanian - Sounds like a good place to et at in Old Town in Omaha. I might have to check that out. I take it you have been there before? Good food?

Sounds like most of ya'll live in central/east IA.

Iowanian
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
I don't really have a big list of restaraunts, but there are some pretty good steakhouses in the Old town...shopping for the hens. I'm sure the Omaha locals can elaborate further, but it kind of seemed like "the place to be".

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1775

jspchief
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
You probably need some Omaha folks to help you with C Bluffs. They would probably know more than most of us Iowans.

Eleazar
04-06-2005, 08:30 AM
Cochise - Thanks for the link. I'll have to look it up. It also might be possible that we might stay the night at my uncle's house in Lincoln, so we might be going up on I-80 to there. It's possible. Do you perhaps live in Council Bluffs?

Nah, I am in KC. I have just been through there a few times and am good with a search engine :D

Coach
04-06-2005, 08:31 AM
You probably need some Omaha folks to help you with C Bluffs. They would probably know more than most of us Iowans.

Yeah, I been trying to get ahold of a buddy of mine who used to live in Omaha, but no luck yet. Will keep trying on that. I just figured maybe there might be some folks on the Planet that might be living near the area, considering that we have alot of members on here.

Coach
04-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Nah, I am in KC. I have just been through there a few times and am good with a search engine :D

Heh, darn, you had me fooled. ;)

Hoover
04-06-2005, 08:43 AM
For Hotels I would go in this order

Fairfield Inn - Exit 3
712-366-1330

Settle Inn - Exit 3
712-366-5555

Heartland Inn - Exit 5
712-322-8400

The Settle Inn and Fairfield Inn are newer and there is restaurants around them. The Heartland inn is a little older.

Coach
04-06-2005, 08:47 AM
For Hotels I would go in this order

Fairfield Inn - Exit 3
712-366-1330

Settle Inn - Exit 3
712-366-5555

Heartland Inn - Exit 5
712-322-8400

The Settle Inn and Fairfield Inn are newer and there is restaurants around them. The Heartland inn is a little older.

Interesting. Thanks for the search. I'll have to check it out.

Chief Henry
04-06-2005, 08:48 AM
AmeriStar.......Counciltucky.

I can tell you that this place is fun. I've never won any $$$
put they seem to always have fun and inexpensive entertainment.

Hoover
04-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Fairfield Inn Link
http://marriott.com/property/propertypage.mi?marshaCode=OMACB

Settle Inn Link
http://councilbluffssettleinn.com/default.htm

Heartland Inn Link
http://www.heartlandinns.com/locations/councilbluffs.html

All there are within 3 miles of the school

Phobia
04-06-2005, 09:10 AM
I had a family friend growing up who attended Iowa School for the Deaf. I don't know why that's important to this thread,.... She was really hot if that makes any difference.

Mr. Kotter
04-06-2005, 09:47 AM
I had a family friend growing up who attended Iowa School for the Deaf. I don't know why that's important to this thread,.... She was really hot if that makes any difference.

Definitely makes a difference. A hot chick who can't talk? Sheesh....that adds 1.0-1.5 to their rating....if she's a 8.0 for instance, she becomes a 9.0. :thumb:

Hoover
04-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Was her name Joey Lucas?

:D

alanm
04-06-2005, 11:18 AM

Hoover - Thanks for the hotel deal. I'll be checking on that. :)

Iowanian - Sounds like a good place to et at in Old Town in Omaha. I might have to check that out. I take it you have been there before? Good food?

Sounds like most of ya'll live in central/east IA.
It's the Old Market in downtown Omaha. And you'd probably be better off asking the Omaha guys for your info. And theirs tons of motels around the area. I was born and grew up in Omaha but I've been gone the last 8 yrs so anyone living there now would have more current info than I do.

Phobia
04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Was her name Joey Lucas?

:D

I'm confident your reference was quite humorous, but I'm afraid I'm too ignorant to understand.

Hoover
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
She is on west wing and is Deaf, she was also on Housewives this past week.

htismaqe
04-06-2005, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't recommend staying IN Council Bluffs, or in Omaha between the river and about 70th.

Honestly, you should stay at the Ameristar.

Hoover
04-06-2005, 12:00 PM
I agree Omaha is much nicer, but if you want to stay close to the School those are you options.

SBK
04-06-2005, 12:20 PM
McKennas BBQ in Omaha is pretty good. Also, if you have time be sure to go to the zoo. It's awesome.

ptlyon
04-06-2005, 12:22 PM
Also, if you have time be sure to go to the zoo. .

We'll we see you there?

SBK
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
We'll we see you there?

Yep, I live in the monkey cage.

seclark
04-06-2005, 01:42 PM
McKennas BBQ in Omaha is pretty good. Also, if you have time be sure to go to the zoo. It's awesome.

i could take or leave the zoo, but he's right about mckenna's. good bbq and blues.
sec

ClearmontChief
04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey Coach. I'm from the area. I live around Glenwood, Iowa...about 12 miles south of CouncilTucky.

Iowa School for the Deaf is on HWY 275. As you're hitting the outside edge of Council Bluffs, you take an exit right on HWY 92. About a 1/4 mile east, take a left on HWY 275 and your in visual contact with Iowa School for the Deaf. East side of HWY 275 just South of HWY 92. If you get to I80 you've missed your turn.

For Hotels in the area, I think you've got a good listing previously in this thread. Lots of them at the Lake Manawa Exit (S. Expressway on the attached link.) 3-4 hotels, plus lots of fast food...McDonalds, BK, TacoBell, DQ, LJ Silvers, Red Lobster, Cracker Barrel, Golden Corral, etc.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&address=&city=Council+Bluffs&state=Ia&zipcode=

ClearmontChief
04-06-2005, 06:55 PM
There's also another 3-4 hotels a little further West on I29/I80 (same road for about 4 miles) at Council Bluffs' 24th street exit. I can't think of all the hotels names, but I've got a Council Bluffs yellow pages I can check if you need me to.

ClearmontChief
04-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Sorry, re-read my 1st post. RIGHT on hwy 275 not Left. I29, right on HWY 92, then RIGHT on HWY 275. It's really easy to see once you're there.

Coach
04-06-2005, 07:52 PM
Clearmont

Thanks for the directions you have listed out. Are there any hotels that is within the school? I still have the list that Hoover gave me in the 1st and 2nd page.

ClearmontChief
04-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Not on the Campus, no. It's not really too far to the Lake Manawa exit, and there are a few hotels there. More at the 24th st exit about 2 miles towards Omaha. Best Western, Super 8, etc.